Was Jesus a law breaker?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's on websites published by sabbatarians!

There's lots of pro sabbatarian websites out there that claim to teach others all about sabbatarianism

Individual Sabbatarians don't necessarily represent the literature you've seen. So you should really stop making the claim that they do in order to avoid the genetic fallacy error.

That does seem to fit with your other posts up till now where your theme has been it's a requirement.

Are you back peddling now and saying it's NOT a requirement for New Testament believers?

There is a clear distinction between what must be done to be saved and what must be done as a moral duty to God.

No one can be saved by keeping commandments. Keeping them is what you do when you love Jesus, which no one can do until they have been transformed by His grace.

If you love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)

Simple stuff

Which proves the Saturday sabbath was no longer His Father's commandment when Jesus did good works on the sabbath.

Baloney

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many here know that the LAW of Moses, it's commandments, rules, ordinances from the LORD GOD saved no one?
Because everyone who follows after the works of the LAW of Moses is under a CURSE. As in cursed of God. As everyone is a Law Breaker.

Galatians 3:10

The Law Brings a Curse​

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”

11 But that no one is [d]justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which proves the Saturday sabbath was no longer His Father's commandment when Jesus did good works on the sabbath.

Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” (Matthew 12:12)

Did man suddenly become more valuable than sheep "when Jesus did good works on the Sabbath?"

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Jesus Himself disputes it:

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. (John 15:10)

He doesn't.

In fact he specifically says that the words of Isaiah have to be fulfilled in him....

For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

Transgressors = lawbreakers = rebels = sinners

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Law of Moses also was a ministry of DEATH and CONDEMNATION.

7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech— 13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as [b]by the Spirit of the Lord.

A veil lays on their heart as they are DEAD, and stand Condemned for all those who place themselves under the Law, as it is not of Faith.

In the OC, all people were saved by faith and not by the Law of Moses, as found in the Torah.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He doesn't.

In fact he specifically says that the words of Isaiah have to be fulfilled in him....

For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

Transgressors = lawbreakers = rebels = sinners

Being "reckoned" among the transgressors is not the same as being a transgressor. It's an expression that contains two extra words that are indicative of substitutionary atonement.

Also, the very translation you quote emphasizes the future tense of the "reckoning" accomplishment in Christ, long after it is being suggested that He has sinned.

Why did He pick the 4th commandment to break? If He needed to become a sinner, wouldn't it have been just as easy to lie, say something disrespectful to His parents, take His Father's name in vain, or break any and all of the commandments?

Either He kept His Father's commandments or He didn't. He cannot lie.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A proof Jesus never sinned

28 Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift[a] up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things. 29 And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.” 30 As He spoke these words, many believed in Him.

He did break the sabbath laws, but He was guiltless.
This was not a sin, nor was it for the priests who profane the sabbath, or His disciples.
Christ is One who is greater than the Sabbath.

John 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And keep in mind Christ always pleased the Father! So, him breaking the sabbath pleased God the Father. The OC was being obsoleted by God.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 12

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”

3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple [a]profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord [b]even of the Sabbath.”

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The introduction to the passage before us finds Paul declaring to the Corinthian brethren: "You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: forasmuch as you are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.” 2 Cor. 3:2, 3.

Here is the key to interpret the words that follow. His figure of speech is patently borrowed from the Scriptural contrast between the old and the new covenant, "Tables of stone" contrasted with “tables of the heart”, “ink" contrasted with "the Spirit of the living God.” These Corinthians, he said, were "ministered by us.”

By an easy transition Paul moves into a discussion of the two covenants by adding immediately that Christ "also hath made us able ministers of the new testament [covenant]; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.” (The word ‘testament’ in this and almost all other instances in the New Testament does not have the meaning of a “will as made by a testator in anticipation of death, but of covenant, and is so translated in the RSV.)

We might close the discussion right here, for our examination of the two covenants revealed clearly that the ratifying of the new covenant did not mean the abolishing of the, Ten Commandments. However, let us proceed.

“But if the ministration of death, written and engraved in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: how shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more does the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excels. For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remains is glorious. Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: and not as Moses, which put a vale over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly look to the end of that which is abolished.” Verses 7-13.

Here is a series of contrasts, intended not so much to belittle the old dispensation as to glorify the new. It was ever Paul's studied endeavor to prove that Christ and His ministry are the blazing glory beside which the spiritual glory of the former times seems pale. This argument by contrast particularly marks the book of Hebrews, which was written for the Jewish believers, who, until they accepted Christ, had thought that the glory of Sinai and the ministration of the divine law under the Jewish priests and rulers were the last word in heavenly glory.
To be continued...

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Continued...

The contrasts that Paul seeks to make are essentially the same as the contrasts between the old and new covenants:

1. "The ministration of “death" versus ”the ministration of the spirit."​
2. "Ministration of condemnation" versus "ministration of righteousness."​
3. "Letter killes" versus -spirit gives life.”​
4. “Was glorious- versus -exceed in glory.”​
5. "Done away" versus "remains."​

Numbers one and two are simply variant expressions.

The questions before us are therefore:

1. What are these two ministrations?​
2. What is meant by letter and spirit?​
3. What is this relative "glory"?​
4. What was "done away” and what "remains "?​

The objector quickly answers: The "ministration of death" was that which was "written and engraved in stones," and is plainly the Ten Commandments. But not so quickly. Is it correct to speak of a "ministration" and a "law" as synonymous? No. It is correct to speak of the "ministration" or, as we would say, the administering of a law. The administering of the law is the means by which it is put in operation, and is not to be confused with the law itself. Therefore, "the ministration of death," or "the ministration of condemnation," refers to the ministration, or the administering, of the law that was "written and engraved in stones.”

By a simple figure of speech, the law is called death and condemnation. On a certain occasion in Elisha's day, the sons of the prophets gathered with him around a "great pot" in which had been cooked certain "wild gourds." Evidently the gourds were poisonous, for one of those eating cried out: "There is death in the pot." (See 2 Kings 1:38-40) He meant, of course, that there was something in the pot that would cause death, and substituting cause for effect, he cried out as he died.

Paul had earlier said to the Corinthians, "The sting of death is sin: and the strength of sin is the law." 1 Cor. 15:56. That is, if it were not for the law of God, which condemns those who violate it, there would be no sin, and hence no death in penalty for sin, "for where no law is, there is no transgression.- Rom. 4:15. Thinking on this fact and the contrasting fact that ”the law is holy . . . and just, and good," caused Paul to inquire: ”Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid!" Rom. 7:12,13 Here he speaks of the law as "death." Now, how does Paul say that we escape from this "ministration of death”,- this "ministration of condemnation"? By abolishing the law of God? Listen to his words: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Rom. 8: 1-4.

We escape from "condemnation" through Jesus Christ, who changes our hearts so that "the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us." Paul describes this changed state as walking "after the Spirit," and adds that "to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Verses 5, 6.

Here is a state of "condemnation" and "death" changed to one of "no condemnation" but rather "life." In other words, a ministration of condemnation and death exchanged for a ministration of the spirit and life. How evident that we are here discussing the two covenants. And how evident also that Paul's words in Romans 8 parallel his words in 2 Corinthians 3. That is the plain teaching of the Scripture.

The cold letter of the law as it appeared on the stone tables had no life-giving power. It could only point accusingly at every man, for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. An administration of the law based on its letter alone results only in death for violators. But an administration of it based on the forgiveness possible through the action of God's Spirit on the heart results in life. The contrast between "letter" and "spirit" does not mean a contrast between an age of law and an age of freedom from all law. As we have already noted, when God's Spirit is in control, the law's requirements are carried out in our hearts.

What, now, of the "glory" mentioned by Paul? He plainly speaks of the relative glory of two ministrations. The justice and righteousness of God shone forth in awesome, even terrifying glory on Mount Sinai as He proclaimed His law. He stood there as a consuming fire. But how much greater the glory of God that bathed the earth with its life-giving rays where Christ came down to "save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21. Here was the glory of justice and mercy combined, for in dying for our sins our "transgression of the law" Christ revealed how God at one and the same time could "be just, and the justifier of him which believes in Jesus." Rom. 3:26.

This brings us to the last question: What was “done away" and what "remains"? The question is really already answered. The glory attendant upon the giving of the law is so greatly excelled by the glory attendant upon the saving of men from its violation that Paul could appropriately speak of the first as "glorious" and the second as "the glory that excels.” But right here Paul weaves in an incident in connection with the giving of the law at Sinai to illustrate a point that he wishes to make in the verses that immediately follow this disputed passage. When Moses came down from the mount with the tables of stone in his hands, ”the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him." So Moses "put a veil on his face- while he spoke to the Israelites. (See Ex. 34:29-35)

Paul refers to this: "The children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away." 2 Cor. 3:7. He refers to this again in verse 11, saying it was "done away," and then again in verse 13 in these words: "And not as Moses, which put a vale over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly look to the end of that which is abolished."

It was the glory of the former ministration, now ended, and not the law administered, that was "done away," "abolished," even, as by historical analogy, Paul reminds them that it was the glory on Moses' face that was "done away.” The record declares that the veil was on Moses' face, not on the tables of stone, that it was his face that shone and not the tables of stone, and that it was the glory on his face that faded, not the luster that ever surrounds the divinely written Ten Commandments.

Well do Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown, in their Bible commentary, make this general observation in their comments on 2 Corinthians 3: "Still the moral law of the ten commandments, being written by the finger of God, is as obligatory now as ever; but put more on the Gospel spirit of 'love,' than on the letter of a servile obedience, and in a deeper and fuller spirituality (Matthew 5.17-48; Romans 13.9)."

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Continued...

The contrasts that Paul seeks to make are essentially the same as the contrasts between the old and new covenants:

1. "The ministration of “death" versus ”the ministration of the spirit."​
2. "Ministration of condemnation" versus "ministration of righteousness."​
3. "Letter killes" versus -spirit gives life.”​
4. “Was glorious- versus -exceed in glory.”​
5. "Done away" versus "remains."​

Numbers one and two are simply variant expressions.

The questions before us are therefore:

1. What are these two ministrations?​
2. What is meant by letter and spirit?​
3. What is this relative "glory"?​
4. What was "done away” and what "remains "?​

The objector quickly answers: The "ministration of death" was that which was "written and engraved in stones," and is plainly the Ten Commandments. But not so quickly. Is it correct to speak of a "ministration" and a "law" as synonymous? No. It is correct to speak of the "ministration" or, as we would say, the administering of a law. The administering of the law is the means by which it is put in operation, and is not to be confused with the law itself. Therefore, "the ministration of death," or "the ministration of condemnation," refers to the ministration, or the administering, of the law that was "written and engraved in stones.”

By a simple figure of speech, the law is called death and condemnation. On a certain occasion in Elisha's day, the sons of the prophets gathered with him around a "great pot" in which had been cooked certain "wild gourds." Evidently the gourds were poisonous, for one of those eating cried out: "There is death in the pot." (See 2 Kings 1:38-40) He meant, of course, that there was something in the pot that would cause death, and substituting cause for effect, he cried out as he died.

Paul had earlier said to the Corinthians, "The sting of death is sin: and the strength of sin is the law." 1 Cor. 15:56. That is, if it were not for the law of God, which condemns those who violate it, there would be no sin, and hence no death in penalty for sin, "for where no law is, there is no transgression.- Rom. 4:15. Thinking on this fact and the contrasting fact that ”the law is holy . . . and just, and good," caused Paul to inquire: ”Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid!" Rom. 7:12,13 Here he speaks of the law as "death." Now, how does Paul say that we escape from this "ministration of death”,- this "ministration of condemnation"? By abolishing the law of God? Listen to his words: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Rom. 8: 1-4.

We escape from "condemnation" through Jesus Christ, who changes our hearts so that "the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us." Paul describes this changed state as walking "after the Spirit," and adds that "to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Verses 5, 6.

Here is a state of "condemnation" and "death" changed to one of "no condemnation" but rather "life." In other words, a ministration of condemnation and death exchanged for a ministration of the spirit and life. How evident that we are here discussing the two covenants. And how evident also that Paul's words in Romans 8 parallel his words in 2 Corinthians 3. That is the plain teaching of the Scripture.

The cold letter of the law as it appeared on the stone tables had no life-giving power. It could only point accusingly at every man, for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. An administration of the law based on its letter alone results only in death for violators. But an administration of it based on the forgiveness possible through the action of God's Spirit on the heart results in life. The contrast between "letter" and "spirit" does not mean a contrast between an age of law and an age of freedom from all law. As we have already noted, when God's Spirit is in control, the law's requirements are carried out in our hearts.

What, now, of the "glory" mentioned by Paul? He plainly speaks of the relative glory of two ministrations. The justice and righteousness of God shone forth in awesome, even terrifying glory on Mount Sinai as He proclaimed His law. He stood there as a consuming fire. But how much greater the glory of God that bathed the earth with its life-giving rays where Christ came down to "save his people from their sins." Matt. 1:21. Here was the glory of justice and mercy combined, for in dying for our sins our "transgression of the law" Christ revealed how God at one and the same time could "be just, and the justifier of him which believes in Jesus." Rom. 3:26.

This brings us to the last question: What was “done away" and what "remains"? The question is really already answered. The glory attendant upon the giving of the law is so greatly excelled by the glory attendant upon the saving of men from its violation that Paul could appropriately speak of the first as "glorious" and the second as "the glory that excels.” But right here Paul weaves in an incident in connection with the giving of the law at Sinai to illustrate a point that he wishes to make in the verses that immediately follow this disputed passage. When Moses came down from the mount with the tables of stone in his hands, ”the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him." So Moses "put a veil on his face- while he spoke to the Israelites. (See Ex. 34:29-35)

Paul refers to this: "The children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away." 2 Cor. 3:7. He refers to this again in verse 11, saying it was "done away," and then again in verse 13 in these words: "And not as Moses, which put a vale over his face, that the children of Israel could not steadfastly look to the end of that which is abolished."

It was the glory of the former ministration, now ended, and not the law administered, that was "done away," "abolished," even, as by historical analogy, Paul reminds them that it was the glory on Moses' face that was "done away.” The record declares that the veil was on Moses' face, not on the tables of stone, that it was his face that shone and not the tables of stone, and that it was the glory on his face that faded, not the luster that ever surrounds the divinely written Ten Commandments.

Well do Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown, in their Bible commentary, make this general observation in their comments on 2 Corinthians 3: "Still the moral law of the ten commandments, being written by the finger of God, is as obligatory now as ever; but put more on the Gospel spirit of 'love,' than on the letter of a servile obedience, and in a deeper and fuller spirituality (Matthew 5.17-48; Romans 13.9)."

There is no eternal life in following the commandments as all are lawbreakers and under condemnation.
It is only by the mercy of God you believe and are saved. Not everyone has such mercy from God or His great love. Ephesians 2

There was never any law of Moses which gave life.
Chris on the cross abolished the Law of Commandments contained in ordinances as it produced death for people.

Ephesians 2
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace

Romans 7
9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Old Covenant 'Christians' following the commandments is like slapping Christ in the face for the work He did in establishing the New Covenant. They are like the Pharisees in Acts 15
3 So, being sent on their way by the church, they passed through Phoenicia and Samaria, describing the conversion of the Gentiles; and they caused great joy to all the brethren. 4 And when they had come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders; and they reported all things that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is only by the mercy of God you believe and are saved. Not everyone has such mercy from God or His great love. Ephesians 2

There was never any law of Moses which gave life.
Chris on the cross abolished the Law of Commandments contained in ordinances as it produced death for people.

Ephesians 2
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace

Romans 7
9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.

No argument here

There is no eternal life in following the commandments as all are lawbreakers and under condemnation.

There is a clear distinction between what must be done to be saved and what must be done as a moral duty to God.

No one can be saved by keeping commandments. Keeping them is what you do when you love Jesus, which no one can do until they have been transformed by His grace.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't break Gods law. The Israelite leaders added many things to certain laws, From what i understand they added about 39 rules to that Sabbath law not by Gods will. they had no right. Jesus broke one of their laws( added rules) that God did not recognize.
This post is so excellent that I'm reposting it.

Reactions: Keiw

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Individual Sabbatarians don't necessarily represent the literature you've seen. So you should really stop making the claim that they do in order to avoid the genetic fallacy error.

OK, so one cannot believe what some sabbatarians concerning what they believe.

Should this apply to you as well? Or, do you have the official scoop from the sabbatarians?

Simple stuff

OK, so yon on hand you say Saturday sabbath is not required for salvation.

Then, on the other hand you imply Jesus has commanded Saturday sabbath even though this cannot be proven from any of Jesus' teachings of in any of His teachings thru His Apostles.

Since you are claiming Saturday sabbath is a moral duty to God, aren't you implying that after one gets born again, if they don't keep their Saturday sabbath "duty" (meaning requirement) they are no long in right standing with the Lord?

You seem to be riding the fence... can't you just say one way or the other?

Salami

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The conclusion of the scriptures is there is no requirement to keep the Law of Moses for believers today.
The Holy Spirit is the one who sanctifies us, for as many as are led by the Spirit of God are the Sons of God, and God's will is our sanctification, which means to live holy lives, but that is not what saves us, but it does speak to eternal rewards at the judgement seat of Christ.

Purpose of the Law is for the righteous judgement of sin​

8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is [a]contrary to sound doctrine,

19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, [f]kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our [g]tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Sons and Heirs​

26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” (Matthew 12:12)

Did man suddenly become more valuable than sheep "when Jesus did good works on the Sabbath?"

Under the Law of Moses when Saturday sabbath was originally given to the Jews.. it was NOT lawful to do ANY work on the Sabbath at all.

Since Jesus is telling us it is now lawful to work on the Sabbath, this tells us something had change.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul gives us an example to not be entangled again in the Law of Moses, the commandments and ordinances which were against us,
which if we do that, we become debtors to KEEP the whole law. Now if you are astute enough to notice, much teaching the apostles did about believers not being under the Law of Moses, it was a big fight in the early church and still goes on today with various sects demanding you obey some or all of the Law of Moses as found in the Torah, which included the sabbath day.

Galatians 5
1 Stand[a] fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is [b]a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Walking in the Spirit​

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: [d]adultery, [e]fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, [f]murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [g]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

v14 refers to the Law of Moses​

Not Legalism but Christ​

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body [h]of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the [i]handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Acts 15, Apostle Peter also refers to the Law of Moses as a yoke of Bondage which no one can bear.

5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, [a]acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus [b]Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meh, he'll just continue to claim Saturday sabbath is not part of the Law of Moses.
Those sabbatarians always remain loyal to the doctrines of their supreme leader, Ellen G White

They have to in order to remain in good standing at their church... which is no different to how things work at other types of churches. Any church one attends, you have to obey their doctrine or you get the left foot of fellowship!
laughing2.gif