Was Jesus 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methinks you've missed @Peterlag's point about Acts 2:36 -- which was that there would have been no need for God to make him Lord and Christ if he was already God. You would have far better luck here with Phil. 2:6-11.
Philippians 2:10
God did this so that every person will bow down to honor the name of Jesus. Everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth will bow.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never taught the Trinity even when he had good opportunities to do so, and we see this when Jesus met the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:1-42) and told her he was the Messiah, but nothing more. Jesus did not take the opportunity to teach the Trinity when he asked the Apostles who they thought he was, and Peter said that Jesus was the Christ (Matthew 16:17-20). Also he said he was the Messiah, but did not say a word about the Trinity when he healed the man who had been born blind (John 9:35-38). Trinitarians also commonly say that Jesus claimed to be God, and for that reason the Jews hated him and tried to kill him, but that is not the case because Jesus had been stating in various ways that he was the Messiah, and that is what the Jews were upset about. The Jews all throughout their history made a clear distinction between “God” and the “Messiah” and they did not think the Messiah was going to be God or a “Person” in a triune God.

The Jews would not have considered Jesus a threat, but insane if he had walked around saying he was God. But it was a threat for Jesus to claim to be the Messiah of God and also walk around doing miracles. Jesus had not been claiming to be God in the flesh and this is why the Jews never asked him at his trial if he was God in the flesh, but instead they asked him about what he had been claiming to be, which was the Messiah. Mark 14:61-62 records the High Priest asking “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" And Jesus said "I am.” The High Priest tore his garments and said he deserved to be put to death when Jesus stated he was the Messiah. So we see that the Jews correctly assessed that Jesus had been claiming to be the Christ, and that Jesus indeed said he was the Christ, and also that the Jews thought his claim was worthy of the death penalty.
Great Commission comes to mind

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is no solid biblical reason to make the "Holy Spirit” into a separate “Person.”

In other contexts the “HOLY SPIRIT” refers to the gift of God’s nature that He placed on people and the new birth to the Christian, and in those contexts it should be translated as the “holy spirit." God placed a form of His nature which is “holy spirit” upon people when He wanted to spiritually empower them because our natural fleshly human bodies do not have spirit power of their own
Jesus said He would send and the Father would send " another Helper" and addressed Him as the Comforter, Counselor, "He", not it.
The Holy Spirit
teaches, guides, counsels, leads, gives truth, hears, speaks, searches all truth, is wise, gives gifts, baptizes us, makes promises, loves us, fellowships with us, sanctifies us, justifies us, convicts us of sin, edifies us, bears witness to Christ and glorifies Christ.
" I (1) will pray the Father (2) and He will give you another Helper (3), that He may abide with you forever- the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." John 14:16-17
Do you notice the distinction between Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Learner

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great Commission comes to mind
and what is the great commission .
IT SURE AS HECK aint the social justice incluisve gospel .
THE TRUE COMISSION IS
to preach the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON JESUS AND TO TEACH ALL , not some , ALL things HE DID teach .
Have a great day now .
cause teaching muslims and other religoins to love God and their neighbor as themselves IS VAIN AND FUTILE
IF THEY FIRST DONT BELIEVE ON JESUS AS THE CHRIST . ooops .

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:58
At the last super, the disciples were trying to find out who would deny the Christ. They said literally, "Not I am, Lord" Matthew 26:22, 25. No one would say the disciples were trying to deny they were God because they were using the phrase "Not I am." "I am" was a common way of designating oneself and it did not mean you were claiming to be God. The argument is made that because Jesus was "before" Abraham, Jesus must be God. Jesus figuratively existed in Abraham's time. He did not actually physically exist as a person, but rather he existed in the mind of God as God's plan for the redemption of man. In order for the Trinitarian argument that Jesus' "I am" statement in John 8:58 makes him God, his statement must be equivalent with God's "I am" statement in Exodus 3:14. The two statements are very different. The Greek phrase in John does mean "I am." The Hebrew phrase in Exodus means "to be" or "to become." God was saying "I will be what I will be."
Genesis 17:4
And God said to him: I AM, and my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Isaiah 48:12

“Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called! I am he; I am the first, and I am the last.

Exodus 3:14

God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’

Isaiah 43:13

Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?”
I am.

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Even from eternity I am He, and none can deliver out of My hand. When I act, who can reverse it?"

Isaiah 44:6, 8
Thus says the LORD, the King and Redeemer of Israel, the LORD of Hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God but Me. . . .

Isaiah 46:9
Remember what happened long ago, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me.

"Listen to Me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I have called: I am He; I am the first, and I am the last.

Revelation 1:8
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is and was and is to come--the Almighty.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the FATHER,) full of grace and truth.' (John 1:14)

'And also written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.' (1 Corinthians 15:45)

'The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from Heaven.' (1 Corinthians 15:47)

How can we witness to others using the sound doctrine knowledge of the Holy Bible, if such a question arise ?
You have 3 verses here. What question do you speak of when you say "if such a question arise?"

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite right that some passages seem to contradict. In our English bibles it does happen, because man has not been able to give a translation unaffected by held doctrines and desires of the translator. Solving those issues can be difficult.

I personally believe that no doctrine should ever be made on a passage that has a contradicting passage that has not be resolved by OTHER PASSAGES into one truth.
Ok, what texts do you refer to friend?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And God said to him: I AM, and my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

“Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called! I am he; I am the first, and I am the last.

God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’

Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?”
I am.

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Even from eternity I am He, and none can deliver out of My hand. When I act, who can reverse it?"

Thus says the LORD, the King and Redeemer of Israel, the LORD of Hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God but Me. . . .

Remember what happened long ago, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me.

"Listen to Me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I have called: I am He; I am the first, and I am the last.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is and was and is to come--the Almighty.

I am.

I can't help you any more. Instead of locking the thread. They are just deleting my posts.

• Sad

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a different view. I think many passages actually contradict. Happy to give examples later, but here is the problem:

I will concede that with sufficient presumptions and mental machinations indulging the improbable, virtually all of these facial inconsistencies can be harmonized. My question is, why indulge them? The only reason I can see to do so is in order to shore up one’s initial presumption of inerrancy. For example, in attempting a harmonization of Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:2-10, Vern S. Poythress states “We have the accounts in Mathew and Luke, which are inspired by God. They are what God says and are therefore trustworthy. That is the conviction we have and the basis on which we work.” Poythress, Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-Centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization (Crossway 2012) at 21.

And here is where I must dissent. This approach seems to me to be reasoning the matter backwards. Inerrancy should be a conclusion from the evidence, not an axiom by which to assess the evidence.
Too long to post https://tms.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/tmsj17c.pdf

"For readers of the original Greek or of the English translation, the most obvious difficulty lies in the fact that Matthew records the event as though the centurion came directly to Jesus while Luke records two sets of intermediaries coming to Jesus on behalf of the centurion. In addition, in Luke 7:7 the centurion "

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SOLUTION: Both Matthew and Luke are correct. In the 1st century, it was understood that when a representative was sent to speak for his master, it was as if the master was speaking himself. Even in our day this is still the case. When the Secretary of State meets individuals from other countries, he goes out in the name of the president of the United States. In other words, what he says, the president says. Therefore, Matthew states that a centurion came entreating Jesus about his sick slave, when in fact the centurion sent others on his behalf. So, when Matthew declares that the centurion was speaking, this was true, even though he was (as Luke indicated) speaking through his official representative.

This excerpt is from When Critics Ask: A Popular Handbook on Bible Difficulties (Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books, 1992). © 2014 Norman Geisler and Thomas Howe. All rights reserved. Used by permission. Click here to purchase this book.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can we resolve this difficulty?

OPTION #1. The Centurion came AFTER sending emissaries. While the centurion originally felt shame in approaching Jesus (Lk. 7:6), it’s possible that he could have come out to visit him after sending his servants. Remember, Jesus was “not far from the house” (Lk. 7:6), so this is entirely possible. Poythress observes, “Human motivations and decision making are complex and often include some wavering or change of mind.”[1]

OPTION #2. The emissaries represented the Centurion. When Matthew records that the centurion was “imploring Jesus,” it never says that this was “face to face” or “in person.” Of course, the centurion did implore Jesus, but this was via a messenger or representative. We would use this same language today, when a newspaper states, “The President told the Prime Minister to support his foreign policy.” We don’t expect that the two people actually spoke to one another. They may have, or maybe the President sent his ambassadors to do it for him.

Elsewhere in the gospels, we read, “Pilate took Jesus and scourged him” (Jn. 19:1; cf. Mt. 27:26; Mk. 15:15; Lk. 23:16). Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean that Pilate held the whip himself, but rather, the order came from him to have Jesus scourged.

A difference in purpose and emphasis​

In addition to this harmonization, the differences in the accounts can also be attributed to the purpose of the authors. Matthew was writing to the Jews, and Luke to the Gentiles.

Matthew focus on the faith of the Gentile centurion (Mt. 8:10), and he serves as a contrast with the unbelieving religious leaders. Luke adds his detail about the Jewish elders coaxing Jesus, because he was trying to show their role in bringing this Gentile to Jesus (Lk. 7:9). If Matthew included this, perhaps his Jewish audience might have pointed to this act as an act of faith and righteousness, which wasn’t his intention.

Luke emphasizes how the Jewish leaders called the centurion “worthy” (Lk. 7:4). Of course, the centurion didn’t have this view of himself (Lk. 7:6), but his Jewish friends did. This further fits with Luke’s emphasis on the Gentiles being “worthy” of hearing the gospel. Additionally, it also fits with the notion that the humble (like the centurion) get into the kingdom (Lk. 1:52; 18:14). Poythress remarks, “We are richer by having the two Gospels draw attention to distinct aspects of the meaning of the events and the meaning of the kingdom of God. We can appreciate what God is doing more deeply than if we just had one account, or if we just paid attention to our reconstructed idea of the events and not to the Gospels’ distinctive ways of explaining the events.”[2]

[1] Poythress, Vern S. Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2012. 19.

[2] Poythress, Vern S. Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2012. 24.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see this a lot... baptized in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. What does that do? I was baptized by the spirit of Christ when it came into me. What does that other stuff accomplish? It makes no sense. It's gotta be Catholic. That's probably why.
Two Priests, one with a cast on his arm, the other Two were Hippies. When they met each other, one asked, " Hey Man, what happened to your arm? A Priest answered that he fell in his Bathtub. As the Hippies were beyond the Priests, one asked, "Hey Man, what is a Bathtub?" The other said, "It must be a Catholic thing."

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what you missed is that, in every other case in the N.T. the people were baptized in the name of Jesus. Only Matt 28 claims support for the trinity and it was a later change.
"In the name of Jesus" refers to by whoose Authority.

13 Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you, or were you baptized in Paul’s name? 14 Thank God that I didn’t baptize any of you, except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that nobody can say that you were baptized in my name! 16 Oh, I baptized the house of Stephanas too. Otherwise, I don’t know if I baptized anyone else. 17 Christ didn’t send me to baptize but to preach the good news. And Christ didn’t send me to preach the good news with clever words so that Christ’s cross won’t be emptied of its meaning.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But all passages don't agree with each other, at least on the details that, thankfully, aren't very important from a theological aspect. How to square this fact with the "God-breathed" nature of Scripture is a challenge worth discussing.
I assure you that the Bible is self-consistent and does not contradict itself. The Bible might seem to contract itself because we don't always understand it the way it was meant to be understood.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 42:15
But I will let you prove that you are telling the truth. In the name of Pharaoh, I swear that I will not let you go until your youngest brother comes here.

Deuteronomy 18:7
And this Levite may serve in the name of the Lord his God, the same as all his brother Levites who are on duty before the Lord.

Deuteronomy 21:5
The priests, the descendants of Levi, must also go there. (The Lord your God has chosen these priests to serve him and to bless people in the name of the Lord. The priests will decide who is right in every lawsuit and whenever someone is hurt.)

1 Samuel 17:45
David said to the Philistine, “You come to me using sword, spear, and javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord All-Powerful, the God of the armies of Israel. You have said bad things about him.

2 Samuel 6:18
After David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord All-Powerful.

2 Chronicles 33:18
Everything else Manasseh did, his prayer to his God and the words of the seers who spoke to him in the name of the Lord, the God of Israel, are all written in the book, The Official Records of the Kings of Israel.

Ezra 5:1
At that time the prophets Haggai and Zechariah son of Iddo began to prophesy in the name of God. They encouraged the Jews in Judah and Jerusalem.

Psalm 118:26
Welcome to the one who comes in the name of the Lord.” The priests answer, “We welcome you to the Lord’s house!

Psalm 129:8
May no one walking by those wicked people ever say, “May the Lord bless you! We bless you in the name of the Lord.”

Isaiah 8:21
When the enemy comes, there will be hard times and hunger. And when he becomes hungry, he will become angry. He will say curses in the name of his king and his gods. Then he will lift his head upwards like a roaring lion.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 2:8
“The priests did not ask, ‘Where is the Lord?’ The people who know the law did not want to know me. The leaders of the people of Israel turned against me. The prophets spoke in the name of the false god Baal. They worshiped worthless idols.”

Jeremiah 11:21
The Lord said to me, “Those people from Anathoth are planning to take your life. They are telling you not to prophesy in the name of the Lord or they will kill you. This is what I have to say about them:

Jeremiah 23:13
“I saw the prophets of Samaria doing wrong things. I saw them prophesy in the name of the false god Baal. They led the people of Israel away from me.

Jeremiah 26:9
How dare you say such a thing in the name of the Lord! How dare you say that this Temple will be destroyed like the one at Shiloh! How dare you say that Jerusalem will become a desert with no one living in it!” All the people gathered around Jeremiah in the Temple of the Lord.

Zechariah 13:3
Whoever continues to prophesy will be punished. Even their parents, their own mother and father, will say to them, ‘You have spoken lies in the name of the Lord, so you must die!’ Their own mother and father will stab them for prophesying.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 21:9
Some of the people were walking ahead of Jesus. Others were walking behind him. They all shouted, “Praise to the Son of David! ‘Welcome! God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’ Praise to God in heaven!”

Matthew 23:39
I tell you, you will not see me again until that time when you will say, ‘Welcome! God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

Matthew 28:19
So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Mark 11:9
Some of them were walking ahead of Jesus. Others were walking behind him. Everyone shouted, “‘Praise Him!’ ‘Welcome! God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Luke 13:35
Now your home will be left completely empty. I tell you, you will not see me again until that time when you will say, ‘Welcome! God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

Luke 19:38
They said, “‘Welcome! God bless the king who comes in the name of the Lord.’ Peace in heaven and glory to God!”

John 12:13
They took branches of palm trees and went out to meet Jesus. They shouted, “‘Praise Him!’ ‘Welcome! God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’ God bless the King of Israel!”

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Change your hearts and lives and be baptized, each one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ. Then God will forgive your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:18
So the Jewish leaders called Peter and John in again. They told the apostles not to say anything or to teach anything in the name of Jesus.

Acts 8:16
These people had been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, but the Holy Spirit had not yet come down on any of them. This is why Peter and John prayed.

Acts 10:48
So Peter told them to baptize Cornelius and his relatives and friends in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Acts 19:5
When these followers heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

1 Corinthians 5:4
Come together in the name of our Lord Jesus. I will be with you in spirit, and you will have the power of our Lord Jesus with you.

1 Corinthians 6:11
In the past some of you were like that. But you were washed clean, you were made holy, and you were made right with God in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Ephesians 5:20
Always give thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

James 5:14
Are you sick? Ask the elders of the church to come and rub oil on you in the name of the Lord and pray for you.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a different view. I think many passages actually contradict. Happy to give examples later, but here is the problem:

I will concede that with sufficient presumptions and mental machinations indulging the improbable, virtually all of these facial inconsistencies can be harmonized. My question is, why indulge them? The only reason I can see to do so is in order to shore up one’s initial presumption of inerrancy. For example, in attempting a harmonization of Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:2-10, Vern S. Poythress states “We have the accounts in Mathew and Luke, which are inspired by God. They are what God says and are therefore trustworthy. That is the conviction we have and the basis on which we work.” Poythress, Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-Centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization (Crossway 2012) at 21.

And here is where I must dissent. This approach seems to me to be reasoning the matter backwards. Inerrancy should be a conclusion from the evidence, not an axiom by which to assess the evidence.
I disagree. Inerrancy should be assumed unless proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.