Was Jesus 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well they have a statement of faith because it is basically a Christian forum and the statement of faith is what all true Christians - i.e. born again believers - believe. As is obvious not all the members of this forum are born again believers though.
I beg to differ to the inference that if one didn't accept the so called orthodoxy, one cannot be born again.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you and I are in agreement that before Jesus sacrificed his human life his human body for mankind he was mortal. If Jesus had been immortal before he sacrificed himself it would have been impossible for him to be put to death. So yes the only begotten Son of God didn't have immortality until after he was resurrected.
I could not have written the above any better if I wrote it myself.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good point by @BARNEY BRIGHT

"If Jesus had been immortal before he sacrificed himself it would have been impossible for him to be put to death."

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Do what math? Does a body decay in less than 3 days?
Apparently, like others, i too want to put you in my 'ignore' list, but compassion in Christ abounds.

Now, you seem to debate as though you know something about even the New Testament, but you know nothing at all.

Again here, in regards Jesus' body, already mentioned to you, that His tomb was empty.

Meaning, by three days His tomb was already empty, now why are you even asking about body decaying matter ?

Do the math, and figure out what happen to His body, since you claim to be coequal with born again believers.

Thank you

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[...]

How can we witness to others using the sound doctrine knowledge of the Holy Bible, if such a question arise ?

The flesh is mortal, but can comfort the spirit; the spirit is immortal, and can render the flesh innocent. Together: both flesh and spirit are able to become perfect.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yo Taken,
When it comes to scripture we can claim anything a fact. If Jesus was in a flesh body and it died, that would suggest Jesus by the flesh was mortal. What was inside of him of course was eternal, which came from heaven into that body.

It’s by faith we even believe that God exist or that even the Word of God came down from heaven, born of Mary by the overshadow of the Holy Spirit of Yahava.
The only begotten Son of God was originally in heaven with God until God sent his only begotten Son to mankind. So I disagree that there was something inside Jesus body that was eternal. Reasoning like that means you're saying the only begotten Son of God was immortal, eternal. But if that were true then Jesus would not have able to be put to death. Also it's been made perfectly clear in the scriptures that the only begotten Son of God came exactly as the first Adam. Just as the first Adam was created a sinless human being, the last Adam came to mankind as a sinless human being. Just as the first Adam didn't have something eternal or immortal inside him neither did the last Adam the only begotten Son of God have something inside his body that was eternal or immortal.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only begotten Son of God was originally in heaven with God until God sent his only begotten Son to mankind. So I disagree that there was something inside Jesus body that was eternal. Reasoning like that means you're saying the only begotten Son of God was immortal, eternal. But if that were true then Jesus would not have able to be put to death. Also it's been made perfectly clear in the scriptures that the only begotten Son of God came exactly as the first Adam. Just as the first Adam was created a sinless human being, the last Adam came to mankind as a sinless human being. Just as the first Adam didn't have something eternal or immortal inside him neither did the last Adam the only begotten Son of God have something inside his body that was eternal or immortal.

The Bible says He was immortal…. That’s enough for me.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says He was immortal…. That’s enough for me.
You have the right to believe what you want, but I haven't found anywhere in scripture that immortality is applied to Jesus until after he was resurrected from the dead. So I haven't found anywhere before Jesus death that immortality was applied to him.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have the right to believe what you want, but I haven't found anywhere in scripture that immortality is applied to Jesus until after he was resurrected from the dead. So I haven't found anywhere before Jesus death that immortality was applied to him.

Fair enough…

So the question is was Jesus immortal before His death…. Correct?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough…

So the question is was Jesus immortal before His death…. Correct?
As I have said I have found nowhere in Scripture that immortality is applied to Jesus before his death. Also from my research of the word immortality, my understanding is that it means, deathlessness, and refers to the quality of life that is enjoyed, its endlessness and indestructibility. So I don't see how Jesus could have been put to death if that's the meaning of immortality, and he had immortality when he was a human on earth.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have said I have found nowhere in Scripture that immortality is applied to Jesus before his death. Also from my research of the word immortality, my understanding is that it means, deathlessness, and refers to the quality of life that is enjoyed, its endlessness and indestructibility. So I don't see how Jesus could have been put to death if that's the meaning of immortality, and he had immortality when he was a human on earth.

Immortality is not based on the flesh.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not saying it was based on the flesh. I'm saying that I have found no scriptures that apply immortality to the only begotten Son of God before his death. I haven't found anywhere in scripture where Immortality is applied to Jesus until after his death and resurrection, not before that.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s Christ in the Lord Jesus, which left him, and his giving up his body for sin was the reason he went and experienced what a human went through, going in through hell, and being risen again out of the grave, by the Holy Spirit of God, which as you know the resurrection Jesus becomes the only begotten son. The only difference we have is that I see Jesus was the Word of God (which was within the Lord Jesus), and he was summed up by his name Immanuel which was “God with us”, God was with them by and through his living Word which became flesh. Lived his life, fulfilled the law, died on the cross for all of the sins of the world on behalf of Yahavah, and the World.

I just believe that the Christ leaving the Lord Jesus, which when Jesus sacrificed was accepted and the Holy Spirit couldn’t reside in that body right then, the Word of God (which to me was the soul of Jesus), and Christ (Anointed One - God in Christ moved out from that body, went to hell as all others did previous, went to paradise and went to the prison part and preached some message to them before being raised up again.

It’s okay you disagree with me. Not everyone is gonna have the same view. But this is mine.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That he did not possess immortality before his resurrection by God is seen from the inspired apostle’s words at Roman 6:9 when it says, "Christ, now that he has been raised up from the dead, dies no more; death is master over him no more," and Revelation 1:17, 18 confirms this when it says,
"When I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet. And he laid his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave.
For this reason, when describing Jesus as “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords,” 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 shows that Jesus is distinct from all such other kings and lords in that he is “the one alone having immortality.” The other kings and lords, because of being mortal, die, even as did also the high priests of Israel. The glorified Jesus, God’s appointed High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, however, has “an indestructible life.” (Hebrews 7:15-17, 23-25)

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That he did not possess immortality before his resurrection by God is seen from the inspired apostle’s words at Roman 6:9 when it says, "Christ, now that he has been raised up from the dead, dies no more; death is master over him no more," and Revelation 1:17, 18 confirms this when it says,
"When I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet. And he laid his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave.
For this reason, when describing Jesus as “the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords,” 1 Timothy 6:15, 16 shows that Jesus is distinct from all such other kings and lords in that he is “the one alone having immortality.” The other kings and lords, because of being mortal, die, even as did also the high priests of Israel. The glorified Jesus, God’s appointed High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, however, has “an indestructible life.” (Hebrews 7:15-17, 23-25)
Thank you for sharing, the Word left its former place, and lived humbly in a fleshly body. Died on the cross, for sin, willingly for us all. Was risen again, and yes our high priest. Jesus was the one to be raised here by the Holy Spirit of Yahavah. I see Jesus now sitting on the throne of his Father, as the Lord God Almighty, the Word of God had never died, and has always been, and always will be a part of God, and is God (God with us) even now today by the same spirit that rose Jesus up from the dead. There was a reason there needed to be a fleshly body, risen again because the apostles couldn’t see spirits. It was the Holy Spirit of God that rose Jesus up, and it wasn’t blood pumping his heart at that point. But the very life giving spirit from Yahavah himself.

Praise be. :)

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s Christ in the Lord Jesus, which left him, and his giving up his body for sin was the reason he went and experienced what a human went through, going in through hell, and being risen again out of the grave, by the Holy Spirit of God, which as you know the resurrection Jesus becomes the only begotten son. The only difference we have is that I see Jesus was the Word of God (which was within the Lord Jesus), and he was summed up by his name Immanuel which was “God with us”, God was with them by and through his living Word which became flesh. Lived his life, fulfilled the law, died on the cross for all of the sins of the world on behalf of Yahavah, and the World.

I just believe that the Christ leaving the Lord Jesus, which when Jesus sacrificed was accepted and the Holy Spirit couldn’t reside in that body right then, the Word of God (which to me was the soul of Jesus), and Christ (Anointed One - God in Christ moved out from that body, went to hell as all others did previous, went to paradise and went to the prison part and preached some message to them before being raised up again.

It’s okay you disagree with me. Not everyone is gonna have the same view. But this is mine.
Nowhere in the scriptures does it say it was the Christ in the lord Jesus body that left him. The only begotten Son of God was and is the Christ. As I said nowhere in scripture does it say the Christ was in Jesus body. Also the scriptures don't say the only begotten Son of God becomes the only begotten Son of God because of his resurecction. The scriptures make it clear that God sent his only begotten Son to mankind. Jesus didn't become the only begotten Son of God because of his resurrection.

Also I believe Jesus to be the Word, that means I believe that it's the only begotten Son of God who is the Word, that became flesh, so I believe God was with mankind through his only begotten Son. So it's the only begotten Son of God, who is the Word that became flesh.

Since the scriptures say God's only begotten Son came to humanity as a human then just as we human beings don't have living souls in our human bodies, then Jesus didn't have a living soul in his human body. The only begotten Son of God who is the last Adam came in the likeness of the first Adam who when first created was created a sinless human being. Also Genesis 2:7 teaches us that when God created the first Adam, this scripture doesn't teach that God gave a living soul to the human body that God formed from the dust of the ground. Actually Genesis 2:7 is teaching us that when God took dust from the ground he formed a flesh and blood human body from that dust, then God blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body that he had formed from the dust of the ground and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul. Nowhere in this scripture does it say that God gave a living soul to the flesh and blood human body, that he formed from the dust of the ground. So for Jesus who is the only begotten Son of God to be in the likeness of the first human, then just as the first Adam didn't have a living soul in his human body then neither could Jesus have a living soul in his human body. Because if Jesus did have a living soul in his human body then he wasn't in the same likeness as the first Adam. You will find nowhere in Genesis 2:7 that God gave a living soul or put a living soul in the first Adam.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing, the Word left its former place, and lived humbly in a fleshly body. Died on the cross, for sin, willingly for us all. Was risen again, and yes our high priest. Jesus was the one to be raised here by the Holy Spirit of Yahavah. I see Jesus now sitting on the throne of his Father, as the Lord God Almighty, the Word of God had never died, and has always been, and always will be a part of God, and is God (God with us) even now today by the same spirit that rose Jesus up from the dead. There was a reason there needed to be a fleshly body, risen again because the apostles couldn’t see spirits. It was the Holy Spirit of God that rose Jesus up, and it wasn’t blood pumping his heart at that point. But the very life giving spirit from Yahavah himself.

Praise be. :)
I understand you believe Jesus to be God. I don't. I believe that the only begotten Son of God is the Word, not that God is the Word. Yes it was the Word that became flesh but that means I believe it was the only begotten Son of God who became flesh, because I believe the Word is the only begotten Son of God.
Because I believe the Word to be the only begotten Son of God, and I do believe that the only begotten Son of God sacrificed his life for mankind, then the Word who is the only begotten Son of God did die. You believe the Word never died, I believe the Word who is the only begotten Son of God was dead for three days, then the Word who is the only begotten Son of God was resurrected from the dead, by God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s alright @BARNEY BRIGHT we just differ in the belief of having souls. Because when Yahavah breathed into Adam he became a living soul who was created in the image of God, having a mind/will/emotions. Eve also was created in the image of God also, which her also bearing a soul, which is believed in by faith. Thank you for sharing and pointing out that you don’t believe in souls? I guess.

Cause it’s not case for me to battle. Everyone has to choose for themselves and see what the spirit leads us to do which is love our neighbor as ourselves. You are my neighbor.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have a verse that says... The only begotten Son of God was originally in heaven with God until God sent his only begotten Son to mankind?

Reactions: Spyder

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently, like others, i too want to put you in my 'ignore' list, but compassion in Christ abounds.

Now, you seem to debate as though you know something about even the New Testament, but you know nothing at all.

Again here, in regards Jesus' body, already mentioned to you, that His tomb was empty.

Meaning, by three days His tomb was already empty, now why are you even asking about body decaying matter ?

Do the math, and figure out what happen to His body, since you claim to be coequal with born again believers.

Thank you
I'm asking how long does it take for a body to decay because someone brought up the point that Jesus must have been God because his body did not decay. And then there's Joseph a wealthy dude who probably spared no bills in burying Jesus based on all the Jews knew from hanging around the Egyptians. And why you think you know more than I do concerning the Scriptures is one of the great wonders of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.