Was Paul nasty?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jesus believed it. Why don't you Aspen?

Matthew 24:37-39 (ESV)

[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah...we are finished with this one-way conversation, until you decide to participate in the 'answering questions' portion.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Yeah...we are finished with this one-way conversation, until you decide to participate in the 'answering questions' portion.
Your religion is not based upon the Bible Aspen. So then, what would you call your religion?

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

I must ask, which version of the Bible were you reading that omitted the Genesis Flood where Jesus drowned everyone on Earth but 8 making them an example? I don't know of any but you obviously do.

Book, chapter and verse that Jesus ever drowned anyone.

I follow the King James Version and this verse in that is a bit more gentle on the surface:

"I would they be even cut off which trouble you."

My opinion is that yea,,, Paul was nasty. It was needed and still is to defend the gospel. Samuel hacked up a king with a sword and cut him into bloody bits and then proclaimed, obiediance is better than sacrifice." Jehu was so morbid that he disgusted the latter prophets, Why should Paul be any different except he was dealing in an age of spiritual violence and not physical violence?

If Paul didn't take a strong stance we would not have the book of Corinthians.... Neither of them. Jesus was pretty nasty too.... He made a whip, which takes some time, and beat the hell out of a lot of people. Peter could be nasty too... He cursed Annanias and Sapharis just because they lied about how much they gave in an offering. They weren't bound by that offering, it's just that they lied about it.

The point is that Men of God know and can do nasty things. Not only that, but they will do them! It is best not to provoke them to anger.

The KJV served its purpose, but it is now quite an outdated translation as since it was written a lot of new archaeological and linguistic findings were made and more manuscripts were found, ie the Dead Sea Scrolls and others. There were many words the KJV translators didn't understand and noted this fact in their foreword and provided alternative readings in the footnote, which fundamentalists nicely removed thereby creating the illusion that the KJV was the inspired bible for the English world.

The KJV was supposed to go through an additional revision before releasing it, but because it was already a very expensive project, the king scrapped the final revision.

So the English world ended up with a half-baked translation.

Read James White's book on the KJV Only Controversy to get the facts right.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your religion is not based upon the Bible Aspen. So then, what would you call your religion?

Your narrow interpretation of the Bible is not the standard of orthodoxy, Ducky - sorry.

Jesus believed it. Why don't you Aspen?

Matthew 24:37-39 (ESV)

[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Ah, so Jesus referred to a well known and inspired story from the Pentateuch and that means it really happened? That reminds me, people were eating and drinking and getting married right before Atlantis sunk into the ocean - does typing that statement prove that I believe Atlantis really existed?

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

You don't believe the Genesis Flood was literal?

You didn't answer my question: Book, chapter and verse that Jesus ever drowned anyone.

Once you answer this I will answer yours.

Your narrow interpretation of the Bible is not the standard of orthodoxy, Ducky - sorry.

Ducky needs to wake up to reality that there is a world outside of his narrow circle. I tend to doubt that he has ever seen anything outside of his (what seems to be) fundamentalist commentary.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You didn't answer my question: Book, chapter and verse that Jesus ever drowned anyone.

Once you answer this I will answer yours.
I already have, MANY times. Jesus is God.
Ducky needs to wake up to reality that there is a world outside of his narrow circle. I tend to doubt that he has ever seen anything outside of his (what seems to be) fundamentalist commentary.
Perhaps you don't know that Jesus said the road to eternal life is "narrow" and FEW there be that find it. How many is a FEW?

belantos

Nov 12, 2010
I already have, MANY times. Jesus is God.

That is not the answer to the "book, chapter, verse" request about Jesus drowning anyone. You shoot in the air and then you claim that you actually hit the target.

Perhaps you don't know that Jesus said the road to eternal life is "narrow" and FEW there be that find it. How many is a FEW?

If you knew what Jesus meant you would be very concerned about yourself. That saying of his corresponds to the breaking of the smallest of the laws and teaching others to do it.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
That is not the answer to the "book, chapter, verse" request about Jesus drowning anyone.
Your denial of Jesus/God and the NT makes your question irrelevant.
You shoot in the air and then you claim that you actually hit the target.
You spend your time trying to re-write our English Bibles and then admit that you don't believe it to be God's Word anyway. Quite deceptive.
If you knew what Jesus meant you would be very concerned about yourself. That saying of his corresponds to the breaking of the smallest of the laws and teaching others to do it.
When you tell us what your religion is we can go from there.

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

Your denial of Jesus/God and the NT makes your question irrelevant.

You spend your time trying to re-write our English Bibles and then admit that you don't believe it to be God's Word anyway. Quite deceptive.

When you tell us what your religion is we can go from there.

Why don't we ask Jesus himself about the matter: We should trust that he knows what he is talking about...

John 17:3 (ESV)
3 And this is eternal life ["zoe aionios" = "life pertaining to the age"] , that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

Can you give an exposition on this verse? Please address the following issues:

1. Who does Jesus pray to?
2. What does he says about Him? Who is He?
3. What does he say about himself? Who is he?
4. What is their relationship? Who did what?
5. What does it mean to know God? Think about 1John.

This should be a good start for you...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Why don't we ask Jesus himself about the matter: We should trust that he knows what he is talking about...
Ok.

Matthew 18:20 (ESV)
[sup]20 [/sup]For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.
John 17:3 (ESV)
3 And this is eternal life , that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

Can you give an exposition on this verse? Please address the following issues:

1. Who does Jesus pray to?
2. What does he says about Him? Who is He?
3. What does he say about himself? Who is he?
4. What is their relationship? Who did what?
5. What does it mean to know God? Think about 1John.

This should be a good start for you...
You don't believe that God can talk to God?

Genesis 1:26 (ESV)
[sup]26 [/sup]Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.

And again God speaking to His Son, calling Him God:

Hebrews 1:8-14 (ESV)
[sup]8 [/sup]But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. [sup]9 [/sup]You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” [sup]10 [/sup]And, “You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; [sup]11 [/sup]they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, [sup]12 [/sup]like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.” [sup]13 [/sup]And to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”? [sup]14 [/sup]Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

Ok.

Matthew 18:20 (ESV)
[sup]20 [/sup]For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.

You don't believe that God can talk to God?

Genesis 1:26 (ESV)
[sup]26 [/sup]Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.

And again God speaking to His Son, calling Him God:

Hebrews 1:8-14 (ESV)
[sup]8 [/sup]But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. [sup]9 [/sup]You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” [sup]10 [/sup]And, “You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; [sup]11 [/sup]they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, [sup]12 [/sup]like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.” [sup]13 [/sup]And to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”? [sup]14 [/sup]Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

I asked you to provide an exposition of Jesus' words. Why are you avoiding it? Are you not up to the task to deal with his words? Don't quote any other verses until you gave me an exposition...

or maybe you cannot face reality...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I asked you to provide an exposition of Jesus' words. Why are you avoiding it? Are you not up to the task to deal with his words? Don't quote any other verses until you gave me an exposition...

or maybe you cannot face reality...
Some of us hold Jesus' Words above all others. I certainly am "not up to the task" of overruling Jesus' Words.

John 8:51 (ESV)
[sup]51 [/sup]Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

Some of us hold Jesus' Words above all others. I certainly am "not up to the task" of overruling Jesus' Words.

John 8:51 (ESV)
[sup]51 [/sup]Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.

OK, so you admit that you are unable to provide an exposition on John 17:3. That is the reason you keep shooting in the air rather than addressing the question.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
OK, so you admit that you are unable to provide an exposition on John 17:3. That is the reason you keep shooting in the air rather than addressing the question.
I admit that Jesus and the Apostles are right and you are wrong.

John 10:27-28 (ESV)
[sup]27 [/sup]My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. [sup]28 [/sup]I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

I admit that Jesus and the Apostles are right and you are wrong.

John 10:27-28 (ESV)
[sup]27 [/sup]My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. [sup]28 [/sup]I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Still no exposition? Why are you refusing to deal with Jesus' words?

This conversation is getting boring...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Still no exposition? Why are you refusing to deal with Jesus' words?

This conversation is getting boring...
The real question should be, why are YOU refusing to deal with Jesus Words?

John 14:15 (ESV)
[sup]15 [/sup]“If you love me, you will keep my commandments."