Was Paul Right About Women In Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Women were always allowed to be in leadership in the early church so why have things changed? Because certain men didn't like it perhaps? I would not want to be part of a fellowship where women couldn't use the gifts of the Holy Spirit which has been poured on on sons and daughters alike. The fellowship I belong to encourages women to use their God given gifts - even preaching. And also encourages the men to do menial tasks like making the brews and cleaning the toilets. We are all made in God's image and the Holy Spirit is the same in all of us because Christ himself is the same in all of us. There is not a special male version of the life of Christ in us.

Sorry Pearl but your comment is pure supposition. There is not one verse of scripture to back up what you have said. FYI, women were not in leadership in the NTC. Read Timothy.

Reactions: teamventure

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're obviously one of those men who has subscribed to the belief that women can't preach or lead but I so glad that my Christian brothers in the fellowship I belong to don't see it the same way you do. I prefer to take my lead from them.
You are obviously one of those women who have a bee in their bonnet to the extent what the scripture says is irrelevant.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In support of women I am reminded of Paul's words earlier in chapter 11.

4 Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head. 5 But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved.

If women are not allowed to speak in church, why are they praying and prophesying? Obviously, they are praying and prophesying because they are allowed to speak in church. So yes, I agree. Such nonsense should be ignored.

Obviously you are another one of those who pick and choose verses to support your error. So let me educated you into the finer points of scripture.

First, praying and prophesying are not to be spoken of in the same breath as preaching. As I studied the NTC for my Ph.D. it became very clear that women were given the gift of prophecy. No one can deny that. However, that does not mean they were given the gift of teaching. That is pure supposition.

Only a person not skilled in interpreting scripture would say that women are conflicted by Paul's instruction to keep silent and the fact that they prophesied. The keep silent bit is dealing with another subject, not prophesy or prayer.

So it is not nonsense just your interpretation that is nonsense.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the first Pastor/Bishop at the church of Rome was pastored by a woman. Uh O, what a bee hive I now have stirred up...... :D YIKES!.
Yes! I knew that but couldn't find anything online to support it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Really? I would have though it is everyone else who is patient having to listen to someone who believes she is more annointed than the word of God.
Oh marksman that's nasty and unkind.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman

I would debate that some Christian women are doing a better job than some Christian men in Christian leadership roles today.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting to read this thread and see people rooting for women to be leaders and teachers. I have been a christian for 66 years now and when I was a young christian, men were men and women were women. Men did certain things in the church and they did a really good job. Also women did certain things in the church and they did a really good job.

I don't remember a single woman complaining about the role they played in the church or complain about the role men played in the church.

I remember Mr. Parker the local milk delivery man who ALWAYS was at the door greeting people and giving them hymn books. He was perfect for the job because he had such an infectious smile. Did the women complain? NO.

I remember the pastor/minister was always a man. Did the women complain. NO.

The leader of the women's ministry was always a woman. Did the men complain? NO.

The minister's secretary was always a woman. Did the men complain? NO.

THe leader of the Sunday School was either a man or a woman. Did either complain? NO.

I could go on with all sorts of ministry. So what made the rot set in? From my observations and recording the rot set in when the jezebel spirit took over control of churches and denominations. More and more women said "Why not me" They chose to ignore scripture and claim what wasn't theirs to claim.If God is not annointing there is no point in appointing. Since the jezebel has taken over the church has ground to a halt and become a shell of its former self.

Women have achieved what they wanted but at what cost? There is no substitute for the purity of the word of God. When you compromise that everything else is brought into question. Now they are ordaining homosexuals. Now they are ordaining lesbians. Now they are ordaining transgenders. Next they will be ordaining pedophiles. Next the church will nothing more than one great big social conglomerate and God won't get a look in.

Summing up, the church is in rebellion. They have replaced the word of God with the word of man and woman and more woman than man. When you drive with a flat tyre you are eventually going to crash. Is that what you want because that is what is going to happen if we don't mend our ways. If we don't proclaim the gospel of God rather than the gospel of man we are up the creek without a paddle and no authority which is evident by the way the churches are caving into all sorts of man made agendas.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? I would have though it is everyone else who is patient having to listen to someone who believes she is more annointed than the word of God.

See, great answer with patience lol. You always say the right thing, at least what I have read. Surely you want to snap on someone haha I kid. That may just be me :)

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, great answer with patience lol. You always say the right thing, at least what I have read. Surely you want to snap on someone haha I kid. That may just be me :)

Sorry mark that was meant for Pearl, you can apply it if you want lol

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago this question came up in my own church which at the time was Anglican. As a new Christian I had no real opinion one way or the other. So I prayed about it. And God showed me that verse and I've held it to be the truth ever since and nothing has shown me different. There were always female lay readers who preached in my first church which was Anglican and now there are are women bishops as well as female clergy.

In the world women can be leaders of nations but the outdated stance against women is still obvious in some parts of the church.

I messed up and commented on wrong post but here it is.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Actually I tear my hair out when I read some of the rubbish printed here. Saying something is one thing but giving the impression you know what you are talking abut which obviously they don't is quite another thing.

As for me saying the right thing. It is usually because I spend inordinate amounts of time studying a subject and until I have wil not comment.

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago this question came up in my own church which at the time was Anglican. As a new Christian I had no real opinion one way or the other. So I prayed about it. And God showed me that verse and I've held it to be the truth ever since and nothing has shown me different. There were always female lay readers who preached in my first church which was Anglican and now there are are women bishops as well as female clergy.

In the world women can be leaders of nations but the outdated stance against women is still obvious in some parts of the church.

Absolutely, if someone has something to say it doesn't matter if their male or female, or come from another planet, all the same in Christ where there is "neither male nor female." Thank God for the scriptures huh!!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I tear my hair out when I read some of the rubbish printed here. Saying something is one thing but giving the impression you know what you are talking abut which obviously they don't is quite another thing.

As for me saying the right thing. It is usually because I spend inordinate amounts of time studying a subject and until I have wil not comment.

I know when we discuss together as a group it can get heated times but if we can try to keep a head about us too it will help.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman

I would debate that some Christian women are doing a better job than some Christian men in Christian leadership roles today.

I don't even enter into that supposition as it is not based on biblbical exegesis. Whatever I study, the word of God ALWAYS comes first and then and only then do I consult others on the topic. And I don't carre who it is if they are not supporting scripture I don't want to know.

When I was studying the New Testament Church one of the books I read was "The Church" by Hans Kuhn, a Roman Catholic Priest. The book was inspiring and I could not give a damn he was a catholic.

Last edited:

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Absolutely, if someone has something to say it doesn't matter if their male or female, or come from another planet, all the same in Christ where there is "neither male nor female." Thank God for the scriptures huh!!
And thank God we do not need to interpret it incorrectly to put over a personal position.

No one and I mean no one is saying that women can't share.

And the verse that talks about neither male or female is about salvation, not ministry in the church. If people think otherwise it must mean that pastors are doing a lousy job out there teachinjg their congregation.

Status
Not open for further replies.