Water Baptism in What Name/Title?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nov 8, 2007
I'm just curious as to what you Brethren and Sisters in Christ were baptized in? Where you Baptized as Matthew 28:19 Father Son and Holy Ghost? Or Acts 2:38 In the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ?

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
That is quite simplistic...the THREE are ONE...and as it appears, your reasoning for this question to be, that these two references contradict themselves...you are sadly mistaken. God's Word DOES NOT contradict itself!Baptism is an outward "shout" to the world that we have been saved and by following through with baptism we are telling all that we are very proud, and greatfull to God, for allowing His Son to live, to die, to live.

Nov 8, 2007
Who said I'm trying to find Contradiction? I'm saying that TRUE WATER BAPTISM is in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ! No man in History or the Bible was ever baptized in the Name the Father Son and Holy Ghost. The Early Church from Paul to Iraneus baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus CHrist. Until the Day of the Council of Nicea, when they decided to promote the Trinity and Baptism in Father Son Holy Ghost.Jesus Said Baptize in the Name/Authority(SINGULAR) of the Father Son and Holy Ghost.Acts 2:38, Peter knew What Jesus Christ was Talking about. So he baptized all IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. The Authority of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is the True Baptism. I was not trying to show any contradiction I believe the Word of God is infallible. AMEN!In Matthew 28:19, he said Baptized them in the Authority of the Father and of The Son and of The Holy Ghost. Who is the Authority/Name of the Father and Son and Holy Ghost? JESUS CHRIST. The First Creation of God to the Last. The Alpha and Omega, the A to Z One to Infinity.

Nov 8, 2007
I'll leave cause I'm headed for Assembly(Church). So let me ask you those baptized in Father Son Holy Ghost. Why? I know it says in Matthew 28:19 to baptize in Father Son Holy Ghost, but he was Talking to Peter remember? The Same Spirit then Came upon Peter in Acts 2, later he remembers what JESUS CHRIST told him. Baptize IN THE NAME(Singular) or Authority of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. In verse 38, that NAME OR AUTHORITY is JESUS CHRIST? Believest Thou This? Remember a distinction between Titles and names. Jesus Christ is the Name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost. Matthew 28:18 All Power is Given unto him. All Authority, ALL MEANS ALL.Would any of you re-consider being baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ? Not Just Jesus name, but the Lord Jesus Christ.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I believe I was baptized in the father, son and Holy Ghost. That is what the preacher said as he dunk me under. So what are you saying? Is my baptism unscriptural?

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
UnorthodoxI have met a few people from your relegion which is a split off shute from assemblies of God. I believe they had to split from 1st Assembly over this babtism thing. I found them to be very different and almost cultic over this babtisim thing. This argument reminds me of these people in the past. Every time we met with them they wanted to talk about being babtised in the name of Jesus. They wanted us to get re babtised. We finally got tired of there legalistic tendicies. It hard to fellowship with someone who always tells you there church is the only true church, when we know there is not one perfect. Good luck

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
When I was baptized, The preacher said these words,"Now in obedience to the command of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I baptize you, my sister, _____ ________(name inserted here)in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, buried with Christ in death (as I was put under the water), and raised to walk in the newness of life. I think that pretty much covers it all. Since Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is a manifestation of Jesus I don't see what the issue is. Why in the world would someone split hairs over this when there is a lost and dying world that needs to hear the gospel of Christ and needs to see that we love each other, my brother? This is the very thing that turns them away. Why do I condemn my brother when I may have a plank in my eye? Be careful lest you fall. Check out the scriptures and remember that Christ honors humility as He was most humble. We all probably have wrong doctrine on some points. We won't know until we are like Christ completely in heaven.

Beano

Feb 7, 2008
I really can't remember and to be honest I'm not that bothered. When your baptized generally your fairly new to your faith and whether i was baptised in the name of Jesus Christ or in the name of the Father Son & Holy Ghost isnt going to detract from what happened to me on that day.Gods is Bigger than any Box You want to stick him in.After I was Baptised God gave me a Dream, I was bound in heavy chains and being carried too a river where I was thrown in. I drowned the chains broke free and I was being carried by the current of the river. As my body passed under a bridge a Shaft of light broke upon me. my body came to life and when I came out the other side there were believers there helping me out of the water.Hey Thanks for reminding me how special that day was to me.Kevin

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I love that, Beano! Would you mind posting your story on the thread, "Where were you when Jesus Called Your Name?" for the nonbelievers to read? I'm trying to get Christians to share real-life experiences with them so we can refresh our walk and to be a witness to them about how the power of Christ can transform a broken life. I want grace to still amaze me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you for sharing.

Nov 8, 2007
(setfree;35882)
I believe I was baptized in the father, son and Holy Ghost. That is what the preacher said as he dunk me under. So what are you saying? Is my baptism unscriptural?
I'm not trying to contend, rather Reason. There's not one person in the Bible that was baptized in the Name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost. All were baptized in The Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Many non-apostolic or denomination or liberal denominational trinitarians will say they were trying to cater to the jews to have them proselyted into Christianity. So they were trying to get them to understand Jesus. And that the Father Son Holy Ghost baptism was for the Gentiles. I'm not trying to Argue, but can anyone show me where anyone in the Bible was Baptized in the Titles of the Father. All those from the Book of Acts all the Way to the Book of Revelation were all Baptized in the Authority of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, which was the Name/Authority of Jesus Christ.@CROONERWhen I said I was going to assemble, I meantHebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.Church BasicallyI'm just asking those Baptized the Trinity Baptism, who you reconsider being Baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ?Acts 19:2-62. He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.3.And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.4. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.5.When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.6. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. I'm showing you scripture, no contention here Brothers and Sisters.

Nov 8, 2007
My Experience before I was Baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Me, my sister and my aunt found out my mother had 3 months to live. She died November Last Year. Anyways, I prayed and I said LORD, you said if there are two or more gathered you would be in our midst. Mind you that I didn't read the bible, was a Half Stepping Christian. So then I prayed, MY HEART BURNED, Not a painful burn but a great sensation of peace. It was Fire when I closed my eyes in a form of a Dove. I Broke Down and Cried, I never cried when I prayed Before.Time goes on, I end up going to this Church I'm invited to, I get more into the Word and then I get baptized. The Fire was guiding me through my darkness, and when I emerged from the Tank The Fire immediately became Light. I didn't want to be around evil anymore. I was Saved. But I didn't speak tongues, I'm not gonna lie I faked it cuz I was at a pentecostal Church. Then soon enough, I realized that the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST is HIMSELF not the Gifts he manifests. Eventually I started having dreams, discernment, tongue speaking, prophecy.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
I was talked into being re babtized in just the name of Jesus, but till this day I dont see the point! Jesus is all three anyway.I reallt think its not nessesary. I think it has a cultic spin on it. How ever I dont have a problem with people who do it.

Nov 8, 2007
(crooner;35982)
I was talked into being re babtized in just the name of Jesus, but till this day I dont see the point! Jesus is all three anyway.I reallt think its not nessesary. I think it has a cultic spin on it. How ever I dont have a problem with people who do it.
How can it have a cultic Spin brother? When it's scripture? Can you find one Person in the New Testament that was Baptized in the titles of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost? I know that Jesus is all three. But To be baptized in his Name for the Glory of the Father, and all Three.

Nov 8, 2007
(crooner;35984)
There is only one God three names
Is that So? I'm a Father, a Son, and a human.Is my name Father? Is my name Son? Is my name Human?My Name in Hebrew is Shlomo, that is my Name, and thus the Name of the Father, Son and Human is Shlomo (Solomon).

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
What do you want to do with Matt28:18-20 Right out of Jesus mouth, you would think that would be enough.