We’re the two witnesses from the past?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A lot of people believe that the two witnesses will be people from the past from the bible like Mosses and Elijah because they appeared at the transfiguration or Enoch and Elijah because they didn’t die.

I believe that the two witnesses are symbolic for the law and the prophets which all pointed to Jesus. Jesus and Abraham confirms this in the verses below.

Luke 16:27-31
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Moses (who represented the Law) and the prophets all pointed to Jesus just like the two witnesses point to Jesus. In the verses above we see that the law and the prophets is all anyone especially the Jews need and will get to see who Jesus is. Not only does Jesus predict His death and resurrection in these scriptures but He also predicted that the Jewish nation will still reject Him even after His death and resurrection.

These scriptures also have a two fold meaning when Jesus says that they won’t believe even if someone comes back from the dead He is also saying that the two witnesses cannot be anyone from the past coming back to life to preach because people still won’t believe so why would God even send them?

• Love
Reactions: Ziggy and Cassandra

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the two witnesses are symbolic for the law and the prophets which all pointed to Jesus.
Marty you have the two witnesses described below as having bodies that die, lay in a Jerusalem street, a world watching while exchanging gifts celebrating their deaths, they are raised to heaven as their enemies watch?

How do you justify all that above, with claims the two witnesses represent the law and prophets symbolically?

Revelation 11:3-12KJV
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.
11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

Reactions: RLT63 and Nancy

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of people believe that the two witnesses will be people from the past from the bible like Mosses and Elijah because they appeared at the transfiguration or Enoch and Elijah because they didn’t die.

I believe that the two witnesses are symbolic for the law and the prophets which all pointed to Jesus. Jesus and Abraham confirms this in the verses below.

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Moses (who represented the Law) and the prophets all pointed to Jesus just like the two witnesses point to Jesus. In the verses above we see that the law and the prophets is all anyone especially the Jews need and will get to see who Jesus is. Not only does Jesus predict His death and resurrection in these scriptures but He also predicted that the Jewish nation will still reject Him even after His death and resurrection.

These scriptures also have a two fold meaning when Jesus says that they won’t believe even if someone comes back from the dead He is also saying that the two witnesses cannot be anyone from the past coming back to life to preach because people still won’t believe so why would God even send them?
Nope. The two witnesses preach and evangelize the Jews during the Great Tribulation for 1260 days. This supports the remnant Jewish population that is saved in Romans 11.
The two witnesses are murdered by the Antichrist and left dead in the street for 3 1/2 days, while the world - filled with reprobates, (who have the Mark of the Beast), rejoice and celebrate ... until they are resurrected back to life and are taken up.
Take scripture literally _ mostly. Symbolism is usually explained in scripture.
>> "Take words at their primary, literal meaning unless the facts, truths, studied in light of related scriptures indicate otherwise."
There is coming a major war in th Middle East. Ten Islamic nations ( with the assistance of Russia) will attack Israel. It might be over quickly. A likely scenario will be Iran firing nukes and Israel retaliating; in which case, it will be over in hours or days. Then these witnesses will appear.

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of trying to identify "the two witnesses", I find it more important to accurately understand what the "two witnesses" are, and ARE NOT.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees, AND the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

"the two olive trees" AND "the two candlesticks"

As you see, there are two of one thing and two of another.

------------------one witness------------second witness------------
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

We have 4 altogether that compose the "two witnesses".

So what are olive trees?

Zechariah 4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?

"What are these two olive trees"

Zechariah 4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
Zechariah 4:13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zechariah 4:14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

"These are the two anointed ones"

And olive trees represent anointed people. So, the two olive trees that form ONE WITNESS are two individuals that have been anointed.

Zechariah 4:14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

Two anointed ones. To be anointed simply means to be blessed with the gifts of the Holy spirit, especially with knowledge which includes knowledge of the future known as prophecy. "ones" means individuals, there are two individuals being spoken of.

ones:

01121 ben {bane}

from 01129; TWOT - 254; n m

AV - son 2978, children 1568, old 135, first 51, man 20, young 18,
young + 01241 17, child 10, stranger 10, people 5, misc 92; 4906

1) son, grandson, child, member of a group
1a) son, male child
1b) grandson
1c) children (pl. - male and female)
1d) youth, young men (pl.)
1e) young (of animals)
1f) sons (as characterisation, ie sons of injustice [for un-
righteous men] or sons of God [for angels]
1g) people (of a nation) (pl.)
1h) of lifeless things, ie sparks, stars, arrows (fig.)
1i) a member of a guild, order, class

----------------one witness--------------second witness------------

What are the two candlesticks?

Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

"and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches"

Candlesticks represent churches which are groups of Christians.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees, AND the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

There are two witnesses because that's what Revelation 11 tells us but that also does not mean the two witnesses are just two people. Scripture says the two witnesses are two candlesticks AND two olive trees. Candlesticks are churches and that's an unknown amount of people, and two olive trees is two anointed prophets which is actually two people but the two churches are much more people. The two olive trees feed olive oil to the candlesticks/churches so their spiritual flame can light their path. Same concept in the parable of the 10 virgins.

Zec 4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
Zec 4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?

so to add what we know:

Revelation 11:4 These are the two [anointed ones], AND the two [churches] standing before the God of the earth.

According to scripture, the two witnesses are two churches (candlesticks) AND two persons (olive trees). One witness is the two churches, the other witness is the two persons. Many believe it is Elijah and Enoch but who they are or aren't is another discussion.

When scripture refers to the two "olive trees" and we learn that olive trees represent "anointed ones" then we know these two olive trees are in fact two "anointed ones" which is simply two anointed people or persons...but there's more:

Revelation 11:10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Here only the two olive trees are called the two prophets. Prophets are individuals, in fact they are males. Two male prophets which are anointed by God to give prophetic messages.

Since its also scriptural fact that candlesticks are churches we then have this:

Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees [the two anointed prophets], and the two candlesticks [two churches] standing before the God of the earth.

Rev 11:10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

If you wish to speak of the two prophets which are killed by the antichrist/beast and are raised back to life by God, it is incorrect to refer to them as the "two witnesses" since the scriptures do not. They are referred to as one of the two witnesses, the two olive trees which are two anointed individuals ie: the two prophets.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah chapter 4, the two sons of oil are standing before Throne of God. Some scholars speculate its moses and Elijah. Fact is, no one really knows. At the 6th trump, thiers deadly wound to the political system. The two witnesses arrive 10 days in Jerusalem before antichrist. Its 5 month period, revelation chapter 9.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah chapter 4, the two sons of oil are standing before Throne of God. Some scholars speculate its moses and Elijah. Fact is, no one really knows. At the 6th trump, thiers deadly wound to the political system. The two witnesses arrive 10 days in Jerusalem before antichrist. Its 5 month period, revelation chapter 9.

Rev 9 is before the great trib which is 42 month according to Rev 11 and 13.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of trying to identify "the two witnesses", I find it more important to accurately understand what the "two witnesses" are, and ARE NOT.

"the two olive trees" AND "the two candlesticks"

As you see, there are two of one thing and two of another.

------------------one witness------------second witness------------

We have 4 altogether that compose the "two witnesses".

So what are olive trees?

Zechariah 4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?

"What are these two olive trees"

Zechariah 4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
Zechariah 4:13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.

"These are the two anointed ones"

And olive trees represent anointed people. So, the two olive trees that form ONE WITNESS are two individuals that have been anointed.

Two anointed ones. To be anointed simply means to be blessed with the gifts of the Holy spirit, especially with knowledge which includes knowledge of the future known as prophecy. "ones" means individuals, there are two individuals being spoken of.

ones:

01121 ben {bane}

from 01129; TWOT - 254; n m

AV - son 2978, children 1568, old 135, first 51, man 20, young 18,
young + 01241 17, child 10, stranger 10, people 5, misc 92; 4906

1) son, grandson, child, member of a group
1a) son, male child
1b) grandson
1c) children (pl. - male and female)
1d) youth, young men (pl.)
1e) young (of animals)
1f) sons (as characterisation, ie sons of injustice [for un-
righteous men] or sons of God [for angels]
1g) people (of a nation) (pl.)
1h) of lifeless things, ie sparks, stars, arrows (fig.)
1i) a member of a guild, order, class

----------------one witness--------------second witness------------

What are the two candlesticks?

Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

"and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches"

Candlesticks represent churches which are groups of Christians.

There are two witnesses because that's what Revelation 11 tells us but that also does not mean the two witnesses are just two people. Scripture says the two witnesses are two candlesticks AND two olive trees. Candlesticks are churches and that's an unknown amount of people, and two olive trees is two anointed prophets which is actually two people but the two churches are much more people. The two olive trees feed olive oil to the candlesticks/churches so their spiritual flame can light their path. Same concept in the parable of the 10 virgins.

Zec 4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
Zec 4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?

so to add what we know:

Revelation 11:4 These are the two [anointed ones], AND the two [churches] standing before the God of the earth.

According to scripture, the two witnesses are two churches (candlesticks) AND two persons (olive trees). One witness is the two churches, the other witness is the two persons. Many believe it is Elijah and Enoch but who they are or aren't is another discussion.

When scripture refers to the two "olive trees" and we learn that olive trees represent "anointed ones" then we know these two olive trees are in fact two "anointed ones" which is simply two anointed people or persons...but there's more:

Revelation 11:10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Here only the two olive trees are called the two prophets. Prophets are individuals, in fact they are males. Two male prophets which are anointed by God to give prophetic messages.

Since its also scriptural fact that candlesticks are churches we then have this:

Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees [the two anointed prophets], and the two candlesticks [two churches] standing before the God of the earth.

Rev 11:10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

If you wish to speak of the two prophets which are killed by the antichrist/beast and are raised back to life by God, it is incorrect to refer to them as the "two witnesses" since the scriptures do not. They are referred to as one of the two witnesses, the two olive trees which are two anointed individuals ie: the two prophets.
Your analysis sounds good. But how does the Antichrist murder two churches filled with millions of people who are supposed to lie dead in the streets of Jerusalem? It doesn-t fit the story. The two witnesses are the ones who have supernatural powers, causing droughts, plagues and fire comes out of their mouth. If any "man" hurt them ... One man can't hurt two churches that likely encompass the earth. And there are seven churches in the beginning of Revelation. It seems only two of them did not get a rebuke, Philadelphia, the faithful church and Smyrna, the persecuted church. It's somewhat mysterious. One point I would share is that I have always thought the last trumpet was #7, which occurs in Rev. 11:15; so it could be that the two witnesses are taken up at the very same time as the church?

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Believe the Word of God OR the silly ideas of little men!!!
'The word of God?'....would you like to qualify it? Is it the bible, is it your version of understanding, is it some other thing or is it Jesus?

Reactions: Nancy

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your analysis sounds good. But how does the Antichrist murder two churches filled with millions of people who are supposed 3rd lie dead in the streets of Jerusalem?

Rev 11 only says he kills the two prophets which are the two olive trees. The two candlesticks are unlikely to represent millions, nor does it say they get killed although certain some do since the saints are overcome and killed to Rev 13.

It doesn-t fit the story. The two witnesses are the ones who have supernatural powers, causing droughts, plagues and fire comes out of their mouth. If any "man" hurt them ... One man can't hurt two churches that likely encompass the earth. And there are seven churches on the beginning of Revelation. It seems only two of them did not get a rebuke, Philadelphia, the faithful church and Smyrna, the persecuted church. It's somewhat mysterious.

They are likely the two candlesticks.

One point I would share is that I have always thought the last trumpet was #7, which occurs in Rev. 11:15; so it could be that the two witnesses are taken up at the very same time as the church?
It's the two prophets not the two witnesses which are two churches and two prophets.

Their rapture happens before the 7th trump while the larger rapture happens when the 7th trump sounds. Same day, maybe same hour but not the same event nor same time.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'Two or three witnesses.' The language comes from the Hebrew. It was required to verify a matter.
Throughout history there have always been at least two witnesses to validate and verify that which is pertinent and there will continue to be.
The Spirit and the Father at Jesus baptism, Moses and Elijah on the Mt of Transfiguration, Old and New Testament.

Reactions: Nancy and Marty fox

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This will explain my view

I believe the two witnesses to be symbolic of the prophets and the law which point to Jesus. Why does God call them the two witnesses? Why the term witness? That means that they had to witness something. Is it because they witnesses and pointed to Jesus?

It took two witnesses to witness a testimony and two witnesses to witness a crime. Could the testimony be about who Jesus is and the crime be what Israel was guilty of?

Mosses represents the law and like the witnesses turned water into blood and struck the earth with all types of plagues. Elijah represents the prophets and like the witnesses he could shut the sky up so that it couldn’t rain and had fire devour his enemies. These two are the two olive trees and are also the two golden lamp stands the two anointed ones that stand before the lord. This is referred to in Zechariah chapter 4 and Jesus is also the anointed one.

Could the fire out of there mouths be the word that has power to condemn and convict. They are also dressed in sackcloth which represents repentance. Jews reading this would understand the meanings.

They mirror Jesus’ life as they also have a 3 ½ year ministry and can’t be killed until there time has come. They are killed by the beast (which I believe is a demon behind the power of Rome) and Rome also killed Jesus. They are killed in Jerusalem just like Jesus was. They are also dead for 3 ½ days like Jesus was and they are raised back to life and go up to heaven. Both Jesus and the two witnesses had earthquakes around the time of there death and there was also an earthquake when Jesus rose back to life.

Why is it 7000 people that died in the earthquake? Why the number 7000? Is it because 7 is the number of completeness and perfection to God and 1000 means many. It also says in Revelation 11:13 that people gave glory to God after the earthquake just like some people realized that Jesus was the son of God after the earthquake when Jesus died.

Why is Jerusalem also called Sodom and Egypt in Revelation 11:8. Because Sodom represents the morality of Jerusalem and Egypt represents the oppression of Jerusalem.

These two witnesses torment people with the word as there words torment and convicts people just like Jesus words did. The Pharisees were happy when Jesus died because he exposed them for who they were and they may of even gave gifts to one another when they celebrated His death.

Revelation is the unveiling of Jesus and these two witnesses help to reveal to us who Jesus is.

Reactions: quietthinker

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Two or three witnesses.' The language comes from the Hebrew. It was required to verify a matter.

This applied only to humans because they cannot always be trusted. It does not apply to God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This will explain my view

I believe the two witnesses to be symbolic of the prophets and the law which point to Jesus. Why does God call them the two witnesses? Why the term witness? That means that they had to witness something. Is it because they witnesses and pointed to Jesus?

It took two witnesses to witness a testimony and two witnesses to witness a crime. Could the testimony be about who Jesus is and the crime be what Israel was guilty of?

Mosses represents the law and like the witnesses turned water into blood and struck the earth with all types of plagues. Elijah represents the prophets and like the witnesses he could shut the sky up so that it couldn’t rain and had fire devour his enemies. These two are the two olive trees and are also the two golden lamp stands the two anointed ones that stand before the lord. This is referred to in Zechariah chapter 4 and Jesus is also the anointed one.

Could the fire out of there mouths be the word that has power to condemn and convict. They are also dressed in sackcloth which represents repentance. Jews reading this would understand the meanings.

They mirror Jesus’ life as they also have a 3 ½ year ministry and can’t be killed until there time has come. They are killed by the beast (which I believe is a demon behind the power of Rome) and Rome also killed Jesus. They are killed in Jerusalem just like Jesus was. They are also dead for 3 ½ days like Jesus was and they are raised back to life and go up to heaven. Both Jesus and the two witnesses had earthquakes around the time of there death and there was also an earthquake when Jesus rose back to life.

Why is it 7000 people that died in the earthquake? Why the number 7000? Is it because 7 is the number of completeness and perfection to God and 1000 means many. It also says in Revelation 11:13 that people gave glory to God after the earthquake just like some people realized that Jesus was the son of God after the earthquake when Jesus died.

Why is Jerusalem also called Sodom and Egypt in Revelation 11:8. Because Sodom represents the morality of Jerusalem and Egypt represents the oppression of Jerusalem.

These two witnesses torment people with the word as there words torment and convicts people just like Jesus words did. The Pharisees were happy when Jesus died because he exposed them for who they were and they may of even gave gifts to one another when they celebrated His death.

Revelation is the unveiling of Jesus and these two witnesses help to reveal to us who Jesus is.
God is a consuming fire the scripture says. Love is synonymous with God 1 John tells us. It is as a consuming fire for all who love corruption. It trumps anything which is not compatible with it.
When Jesus returns, the world will cry for the rocks and the mountains to fall on them. Why? Because they perceive the Lamb to be wrathful. Their distorted view sees God's love as a threat, not that it is a threat; who has ever been afraid of a Lamb? but they would rather die than come into its presence.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This applied only to humans because they cannot always be trusted. It does not apply to God.
We are humans.....we are his witnesses......we witness to the character of God to those around us ie, if we have known him. If we are not witnessing to the character of God we witness to something else, it's usually how right we are.....and we love the glory of predicting the future as if the scriptures were a heavenly crystal ball.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
who has ever been afraid of a Lamb?

The Lamb is coming to kill, so the answer is everyone at that timeframe.

Rev 6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
Rev 6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
Rev 11:16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Reactions: David in NJ

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually, the two witnesses were John the Baptist and Jesus. In all the world, they were the only ones who were born of the Holy Spirit, HAVING the Holy Spirit at birth.
John is a WITNESS to who Jesus Is, and Jesus is a WITNESS TO WHO God is.