We’re the two witnesses from the past?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of people believe that the two witnesses will be people from the past from the bible like Mosses and Elijah because they appeared at the transfiguration or Enoch and Elijah because they didn’t die.

I believe that the two witnesses are symbolic for the law and the prophets which all pointed to Jesus. Jesus and Abraham confirms this in the verses below.

Luke 16:27-31
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Moses (who represented the Law) and the prophets all pointed to Jesus just like the two witnesses point to Jesus. In the verses above we see that the law and the prophets is all anyone especially the Jews need and will get to see who Jesus is. Not only does Jesus predict His death and resurrection in these scriptures but He also predicted that the Jewish nation will still reject Him even after His death and resurrection.

These scriptures also have a two fold meaning when Jesus says that they won’t believe even if someone comes back from the dead He is also saying that the two witnesses cannot be anyone from the past coming back to life to preach because people still won’t believe so why would God even send them?
The two witnesses are just that, not a big mystery. They are two prophets of God to appear at an appointed time to testify to the nations with signs and wonders and power of God the Father and Jesus the Christ and the Holy Ghost.

People have really strange beliefs they use when interpreting prophecy, but I think most people have normal interpretations, the strange interpretations seem to navigate to forums like this to spread their diseased ideas. A disease likes to spread to do the most damage.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Marty you have the two witnesses described below as having bodies that die, lay in a Jerusalem street, a world watching while exchanging gifts celebrating their deaths, they are raised to heaven as their enemies watch?

How do you justify all that above, with claims the two witnesses represent the law and prophets symbolically?

Revelation 11:3-12KJV
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.
11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
Because the law and the prophets are what witnessed to Jesus and they are symbolic to what happened in Jesus life

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What did Jesus say in the bottom of the parable of Lazarus and the rich man?

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God is a consuming fire the scripture says. Love is synonymous with God 1 John tells us. It is as a consuming fire for all who love corruption. It trumps anything which is not compatible with it.
When Jesus returns, the world will cry for the rocks and the mountains to fall on them. Why? Because they perceive the Lamb to be wrathful. Their distorted view sees God's love as a threat, not that it is a threat; who has ever been afraid of a Lamb? but they would rather die than come into its presence.

Jesus said that this would happen in 70AD

Luke 23
26 As the soldiers led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus. 27 A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. 28 Jesus turned and said to them, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children. 29 For the time will come when you will say, ‘Blessed are the childless women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’ 30 Then

“‘they will say to the mountains, “Fall on us!”
and to the hills, “Cover us!”’[b]

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Parts of days were considered full days in Israel in those days

Then why does the bible use 1/2 of a day for the two prophets? Apparently God does not "round up".

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the law and the prophets are what witnessed to Jesus and they are symbolic to what hap in Jesus life
Ok Marty, you have symbolized the (Two Witnesses) as the law and prophets

Now give your symbolic interpretation to that seen below, you can't just walk away as if it doesn't exist, waiting?

Marty you have the two witnesses described below as having bodies that die, lay in a Jerusalem street, a world watching while exchanging gifts celebrating their deaths, they are raised to heaven as their enemies watch?

Symbolic Interpretation?

1.) Dead bodies?

2.) Jerusalem street?

3.) World watching in celebration?

4.) World exchanging gifts?

5.) Bodies raised to heaven, Enemies watch?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. The two witnesses preach and evangelize the Jews during the Great Tribulation for 1260 days. This supports the remnant Jewish population that is saved in Romans 11.
The prophets returned are the two witnesses, they represent God in his judgment of plagues upon the earth, a complete remake of Moses/Aaron against Pharaoh of Egypt

I personally believe the two witnesses will be (Enoch/Elijah) who never experienced physical death and (The Beast) will be the Pharaoh parallel, he will be of Jewish-Hebrew decent

The Future Human Man, The Antichrist Seen Below In (Daniel) 11:37 Will Be A Hebrew/Jew In Decent, His Fathers Worshipped The True Hebrew (God Of His Fathers)

(Daniel) 11:37KJV
37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

Examples: God Of His Fathers

(2 Kings) 21:22KJV
22 And he forsook the Lord God of his fathers, and walked not in the way of the Lord.

(2 Chronicles) 21:10KJV
10 So the Edomites revolted from under the hand of Judah unto this day. The same time also did Libnah revolt from under his hand; because he had forsaken the Lord God of his fathers.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Now give your symbolic interpretation to that seen below, you can't just walk away as if it doesn't exist, waiting?

Symbolic Interpretation?

1.) Dead bodies?

2.) Jerusalem street?

All these are symbolic. The thing is, when one is locked into a paradigm which doesn't recognise it, it wont be recognised......even can't be.
We could use the history and experience of the religious Jews as an example. Their view was such that even in the face of Jesus raising the dead and feeding thousands with crumbs, they wouldn't believe. They loved their paradigm to the point they would never question it.....the result being, their eyes and ears were closed.

Reactions: Marty fox

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation is the unveiling of Jesus and these two witnesses help to reveal to us who Jesus is.
Who do you mean by "us"?

Should you not already know Jesus?

"All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine."

John 10

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus said that this would happen in 70AD

Luke 23
26 As the soldiers led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus. 27 A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. 28 Jesus turned and said to them, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children. 29 For the time will come when you will say, ‘Blessed are the childless women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’ 30 Then

“‘they will say to the mountains, “Fall on us!”
and to the hills, “Cover us!”’[b]
The context (Rev.6:12-17) determines the times this is applicable to....and from what I can tell it's referring to the return of Jesus in the clouds.
A parallel scripture might be Matthew 24:30
'Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.'

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All these are symbolic.

Ok give your Symbolic Interpretation, waiting?

No playing the preterist game in remove words seen, with the magic word "Symbolic" without a full explanation, waiting?

1.) Dead bodies?

2.) Jerusalem street?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok give your Symbolic Interpretation, waiting?

No playing the preterist game in remove words seen, with the magic word "Symbolic" without a full explanation, waiting?

1.) Dead bodies?

2.) Jerusalem street?

T77....if you had a genuine interest we could talk about these things, however, knowing that your objective is to reinforce your own predetermined view, I have no interest in throwing my pearls. :)

Reactions: Marty fox

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T77....if you had a genuine interest we could talk about these things, however, knowing that your objective is to reinforce your own predetermined view, I have no interest in throwing my pearls. :)
"Crickets" because you have no symbolic interpretation for the future literal things seen

"Yes", literal prophets that die, and literal physical bodies that lay in a literal street in Jerusalem, that sees a literal world exchanging gifts in celebration of their deaths, as these prophets are literally raised to heaven, as their literal enemies watch

Reactions: teamventure

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Crickets" because you have no symbolic interpretation for the future literal things seen

"Yes", literal prophets that die, and literal physical bodies that lay in a literal street in Jerusalem, that sees a literal world exchanging gifts in celebration of their deaths, as these prophets are literally raised to heaven, as their literal enemies watch
:) Your words sound so sure of themselves yet they only reinforce my statement which you clearly do not see. .....Anyway, you are free to see it anyway you prefer

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And how does two prophets symbolize the law and prophets? The Amill interpretation fails here like it does everywhere.

Reactions: teamventure

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:) Your words sound so sure of themselves yet they only reinforce my statement which you clearly do not see. .....Anyway, you are free to see it anyway you prefer
P.S., if you get time, work up that symbolic teaching on the many items seen in Revelation Chapter 11, waiting?

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Symbolic Interpretation?

1.) Dead bodies?

2.) Jerusalem street?

I explained it all in post #13

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who do you mean by "us"?

Should you not already know Jesus?

"All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine."

John 10
I’m talking about people