We are eternal beings!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe our soul is immortal because it is the breath of eternal God.
Our identity in flesh is shed when we die.
I believe it is vanity of patriarchs drafting an extra gospel doctrine that insists we shall be here again.
Pride insists God,the supreme source in and of all existence continues our being was beyond this life and upon this world that is his creation. As if his kingdom must be made manifest here with us.
As if we are that important.

God's kingdom is all existence
that is proof God is there. We are but one creation.
Our soul,as he tells us, returns to him. Because it is of and from him. And our body returns to the dust that is also God's creation. As is everything that exists.
John 1

Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Look at John 3:16 ...whosoever believeth should not perish, but have everlasting life. Everlasting life is a gift.
Those who do not believe are going to perish. They do not have everlasting life.

Also, the Bible says God alone hath immortality. 1Tim 6:15-16 "15which the blessed and only Sovereign One—the King of kings and Lord of lords—will bring about in His own time. 16He alone is immortal and dwells in unapproachable light. No one has ever seen Him, nor can anyone see Him. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

The wages of sin is death, not eternal dying. Dying is not dead.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Look at John 3:16 ...whosoever believeth should not perish, but have everlasting life. Everlasting life is a gift.
Those who do not believe are going to perish. They do not have everlasting life.

Also, the Bible says God alone hath immortality. 1Tim 6:15-16 "15which the blessed and only Sovereign One—the King of kings and Lord of lords—will bring about in His own time. 16He alone is immortal and dwells in unapproachable light. No one has ever seen Him, nor can anyone see Him. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

The wages of sin is death, not eternal dying. Dying is not dead.
In the old testament, before a hell fire and brimstone bottomless pit called Hell was created by the RCC, we are told the soul returns to the God who gave it.
Makes sense. The soul is of and from God.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once in a while it's a good idea to just sit still and close your eyes, and shut out the world and all its noise and clamor. That is not what's real, as appealing as it might look to us when our eyes are open and taking it all in.We live in a body that is wonderfully made by God. No matter what age you are, dear reader, you are slowly dying. That is, your body is slowly dying. BUT your soul (your spirit) can not cease to exist. You are your soul, not your body. We spend far more time than we should attending to the health and beauty of the body and far too little time attending to the health and beauty of our souls (especially since our souls will live forever, for we are created in the image of God, the Bible tells us). AND God IS. Time does not have anything to do with Him. He IS Eternal; He never began, and He will never end, nor will He ever change.Your body will lie in a coffin, as will mine. But "we" (our souls) won't stay in the coffin. We must get rid of this corrupt body and inherit the incorruptible body God has prepared already for us who believe in His Son and His saving act on the Cross.In first Corinthians 15:53-55, God's Word tells us, "For this persihable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written, 'Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?' "No human being will ever cease to exist. A person will live either in eternal happiness with God in heaven or suffer internal torment in Hell with Satan and his evil devils.waynemlj
Doesn't Genesis 2:7 KJV say the Soul comes into existence as a consequence of the union of the Body and the Breath (Spirit) of Life? So, how can the Soul continue to exist once the Body returns to the Earth and the Spirit returns to God Who gave it (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)?

No, we are not "eternal beings" - eternal life is granted to those who "seek for immortality" (Romans 2:6-8 KJV) and you don't "seek" for something you already have.

Reactions: Cassandra

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once in a while it's a good idea to just sit still and close your eyes, and shut out the world and all its noise and clamor. That is not what's real, as appealing as it might look to us when our eyes are open and taking it all in.We live in a body that is wonderfully made by God. No matter what age you are, dear reader, you are slowly dying. That is, your body is slowly dying. BUT your soul (your spirit) can not cease to exist. You are your soul, not your body. We spend far more time than we should attending to the health and beauty of the body and far too little time attending to the health and beauty of our souls (especially since our souls will live forever, for we are created in the image of God, the Bible tells us). AND God IS. Time does not have anything to do with Him. He IS Eternal; He never began, and He will never end, nor will He ever change.Your body will lie in a coffin, as will mine. But "we" (our souls) won't stay in the coffin. We must get rid of this corrupt body and inherit the incorruptible body God has prepared already for us who believe in His Son and His saving act on the Cross.In first Corinthians 15:53-55, God's Word tells us, "For this persihable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written, 'Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?' "No human being will ever cease to exist. A person will live either in eternal happiness with God in heaven or suffer internal torment in Hell with Satan and his evil devils.waynemlj

I disagree because you're disagreeing with what Genesis 2:7 says. This scripture is telling us that God took dust from the ground and formed that dust into a flesh and blood human body, then God blew the breath of life(spirit) into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul or living person. So flesh and blood human beings are living souls or living persons they don't having living persons or livings souls in their bodies. Flesh and blood human beings are souls, they don't have souls.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where I come from the IRS thinks they're entitled to what I have, and whatever they fail to get their hands on, my wife lays claim to the rest :)
I've gone low budget. I don't have a wife and the IRS aren't interested......soooo, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with those silver lined mansions sung about..... I know, look at the descriptions metaphorically. :)

Reactions: Phoneman777

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't Genesis 2:7 KJV say the Soul comes into existence as a consequence of the union of the Body and the Breath (Spirit) of Life? So, how can the Soul continue to exist once the Body returns to the Earth and the Spirit returns to God Who gave it (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)?

No, we are not "eternal beings" - eternal life is granted to those who "seek for immortality" (Romans 2:6-8 KJV) and you don't "seek" for something you already have.
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

All false doctrine comes from vain imaginations, that either don't read all Scripture, or don't believe all Scripture as written.

Reactions: Phoneman777

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

All false doctrine comes from vain imaginations, that either don't read all Scripture, or don't believe all Scripture as written.

Revelation 1:1 tells us that what was shown to John was shown to him in signs. So we have to be very careful not to take many of the scriptures in Revelation literally. Like in Revelations people who want to take scriptures that say, "I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" They take this scripture literally that there are literal souls in heaven under the alter, but as Revelations 1:1 tells us John was shown in signs what will happen in the future, people seem to forget that. Also when Revelations was written, which many theologians say it was written in 96-98 C.E. no one except Jesus Christ had been resurrected from the dead and gone into heaven. So when John was inspired to write that he saw souls in heaven under the alter, this has to be taken symbolically because no one except Jesus had been resurrected from the dead and literally gone to heaven when John was inspired to write Revelation.
Now I agree that false doctrines come from vain imaginations so when someone tries to convince you to take a certain scripture literally and ignore what Revelations 1:1 says isn't that person trying to convince you to listen to their vain imaginations, and disregard that when John wrote Revelation no one but Jesus had been resurrected from the dead and literally gone into heaven?
I also agree that many don't believe scripture as written, I believe too many interpret a scripture to mean something completely opposite of what God inspired to be written down. Such as Genesis 2:7, what's written down is, "And YHWH God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person." Nowhere in Genesis 2:7 does it say God gave man a soul. Reasoning on scripture which is what I believe we are all to do, when I reason on Genesis 2:7 what this scripture is saying is that God took dust from the ground and formed it into a flesh and blood human body, then God blew the breath of life(spirit) into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul or living person. So for anyone to say that the breath of life(spirit) separately, on it's own, without it being in a flesh and blood human body, is a living soul or living person they are contradicting Genesis 2:7. So a flesh and blood human being is a living soul or living person. A flesh and blood human being doesn't have a living soul or living person in his flesh and blood human body.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Revelation 1:1 tells us that what was shown to John was shown to him in signs. So we have to be very careful not to take many of the scriptures in Revelation literally. Like in Revelations people who want to take scriptures that say, "I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" They take this scripture literally that there are literal souls in heaven under the alter, but as Revelations 1:1 tells us John was shown in signs what will happen in the future, people seem to forget that. Also when Revelations was written, which many theologians say it was written in 96-98 C.E. no one except Jesus Christ had been resurrected from the dead and gone into heaven. So when John was inspired to write that he saw souls in heaven under the alter, this has to be taken symbolically because no one except Jesus had been resurrected from the dead and literally gone to heaven when John was inspired to write Revelation.
Now I agree that false doctrines come from vain imaginations so when someone tries to convince you to take a certain scripture literally and ignore what Revelations 1:1 says isn't that person trying to convince you to listen to their vain imaginations, and disregard that when John wrote Revelation no one but Jesus had been resurrected from the dead and literally gone into heaven?
I also agree that many don't believe scripture as written, I believe too many interpret a scripture to mean something completely opposite of what God inspired to be written down. Such as Genesis 2:7, what's written down is, "And YHWH God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person." Nowhere in Genesis 2:7 does it say God gave man a soul. Reasoning on scripture which is what I believe we are all to do, when I reason on Genesis 2:7 what this scripture is saying is that God took dust from the ground and formed it into a flesh and blood human body, then God blew the breath of life(spirit) into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul or living person. So for anyone to say that the breath of life(spirit) separately, on it's own, without it being in a flesh and blood human body, is a living soul or living person they are contradicting Genesis 2:7. So a flesh and blood human being is a living soul or living person. A flesh and blood human being doesn't have a living soul or living person in his flesh and blood human body.

To signify something does not mean that everything is a sign.
A sign can signify a highway but a highway is not signified by the fact that signs are on it.
So read Revelation as literature... literal where not indicated as metaphor, as per basic language skills would indicate.
Only Jesus was in heaven at that point in time??? Who is to say that the vision was not from 2022? Where does it say the vision represents a particular time frame that must be when John was writing? Rev 22 is the final kingdom of God and you say that must have been in the late 90's?
Remember that Revelation is not inspired scripture... it is commanded scripture of a vision given by Jesus. How many books in the NT did Jesus command to be written?

Reactions: robert derrick

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual. A whole lot of words to reject plain Scripture and call it a sign.

There is no soundness in the carnal minded.

Reactions: David Boyer

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To signify something does not mean that everything is a sign.
A sign can signify a highway but a highway is not signified by the fact that signs are on it.
So read Revelation as literature... literal where not indicated as metaphor, as per basic language skills would indicate.
Only Jesus was in heaven at that point in time??? Who is to say that the vision was not from 2022? Where does it say the vision represents a particular time frame that must be when John was writing? Rev 22 is the final kingdom of God and you say that must have been in the late 90's?
Remember that Revelation is not inspired scripture... it is commanded scripture of a vision given by. How many books in the NT did Jesus command to be written?

Well, the verses in Revelations that you quoted, you were telling us we are to take what was said in those verses in Revelations literally. So you were saying John was saying there were literal souls under an alter, but at the time John was inspired to write Revelation the only person to have been resurrected and gone into heaven is Jesus. So John didn't see any literal souls in heaven it has to be taken symbolically. The scriptures show us that the resurrection doesn't begin until the second presence of Jesus Christ which hadn't happened at the time John was inspired to write Revelation. It doesn't matter if the vision was from 2022 John saw this vision around 96-98 C.E. about two thousand years ago so at the time John saw this vision and was inspired to write it we can't say he saw literal souls since no one at the time had been resurrected into heaven except Jesus. John was shown this vision in signs. I'm not going to ignore that as many people do.
Plus people believing and teaching human beings have living souls or living persons in their flesh and blood human bodies contradicts Genesis 2:7. This scripture doesn't teach human beings have a living soul or living person in their flesh and blood human bodies but instead teaches that our flesh and blood human bodies are living souls or living persons.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual. A whole lot of words to reject plain Scripture and call it a sign.

There is no soundness in the carnal minded.

Well people who choose to ignore the clear teaching at Genesis 2:7 which teaches us, not that flesh and blood human beings have living souls or living persons in their flesh and blood human bodies, but instead teaches us that flesh and blood human beings are living souls or living persons. So those who ignore Genesis 2:7 show they have no soundness of mind because they teach with a carnal mind.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much more comes from those who fail to interpret prophetic symbolism and allegory - some even think white and red corpuscles can actually speak LOL

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well people who choose to ignore the clear teaching at Genesis 2:7 which teaches us, not that flesh and blood human beings have living souls or living persons in their flesh and blood human bodies, but instead teaches us that flesh and blood human beings are living souls or living persons. So those who ignore Genesis 2:7 show they have no soundness of mind because they teach with a carnal mind.
At lest you're using less words to say nah-uh.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much more comes from those who fail to interpret prophetic symbolism and allegory - some even think white and red corpuscles can actually speak LOL
Right. Some Scriptures just aren't real. Especially when they plainly contradict our precious little imagination.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Actually, hell isn't forever. it will be cast into the Lake of Fire, and the Lake of Fire IS forever. Rev. 20:14,15.

And most of the people who went there today and tomorrow and for the last 2000 yrs, don't know that they are in a not to be continued situation.
They are literally just getting a preview regarding what is about to happen.

And EVERY single person who is in hell believes in Jesus now.
They all believe NOW., but that is not how it works.
You have to believe when you are alive and on EARTH, as Jesus was given to the WORLD, not to the people in hell who refused to believe when they were alive in a body, and had the chance.
There is NO CROSS in Hell.
There is no 2nd Chance to believe, once you are in Hell.

"today is the DAY of Salvation" = while you are BREATHING.

Reactions: Dropship

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The rich man in hell was told 'once in, never out'..:)
"..between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us." (Luke 16:26)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Some Scriptures just aren't real. Especially when they plainly contradict our precious little imagination.
Scriptures are real - what's imaginary is the reasoning ability of those who choose to believe the serpent in Eden instead of what God said about death.