Were the 10 Commandments written to us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where the 10 commandments written and given to us?

Due to popular belief many would say yes, they were, but the truth is found in scripture and it takes effort to read the word of God and it can move through and past what we decide what we believe and want to see.

• “‘And God speaketh all these words, saying, I [am] Jehovah thy God, who hath brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of a house of servants. ‘Thou hast no other Gods before Me. ‘Thou dost not make to thyself a graven image, or any likeness which [is] in the heavens above, or which [is] in the earth beneath, or which [is] in the waters under the earth. Thou dost not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I, Jehovah thy God, [am] a zealous God, charging iniquity of fathers on sons, on the third [generation], and on the fourth, of those hating Me, and doing kindness to thousands, of those loving Me and keeping My commands. ‘Thou dost not take up the name of Jehovah thy God for a vain thing, for Jehovah acquitteth not him who taketh up His name for a vain thing. ‘Remember the Sabbath-day to sanctify it; six days thou dost labour, and hast done all thy work, and the seventh day [is] a Sabbath to Jehovah thy God; thou dost not do any work, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, thy man-servant, and thy handmaid, and thy cattle, and thy sojourner who is within thy gates, — for six days hath Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that [is] in them, and resteth in the seventh day; therefore hath Jehovah blessed the Sabbath-day, and doth sanctify it. ‘Honour thy father and thy mother, so that thy days are prolonged on the ground which Jehovah thy God is giving to thee. ‘Thou dost not murder. ‘Thou dost not commit adultery. ‘Thou dost not steal. ‘Thou dost not answer against thy neighbour a false testimony. ‘Thou dost not desire the house of thy neighbour, thou dost not desire the wife of thy neighbour, or his man-servant, or his handmaid, or his ox, or his ass, or anything which [is] thy neighbour's.’ And all the people are seeing the voices, and the flames, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mount smoking; and the people see, and move, and stand afar off, and say unto Moses, ‘Speak thou with us, and we hear, and let not God speak with us, lest we die.’ And Moses saith unto the people, ‘Fear not, for to try you hath God come, and in order that His fear may be before your faces — that ye sin not.’ And the people stand afar off, and Moses hath drawn nigh unto the thick darkness where God [is]. And Jehovah saith unto Moses, ‘Thus dost thou say unto the sons of Israel: Ye — ye have seen that from the heavens I have spoken with you;

Exodus 20:1-22

This being the Young’s Literal Translation it’s much harder for the average person to read out loud to oneself, as it is literal translation from the Greek, that was done by Robert Young a long time ago now, over 200 years or so in 1898 I believe was the final edition to be released upon nearing the ending of the first 22th verse and the very first verse you can see how God is talking to the ones who were lead out of Egypt, the Jewish people that would become the Nation of Israel.

This is why proper study is important to learn, the Levitical Law was given to the and way of the priesthood was only given to the descendants of Aaron, does that mean they were written to us? No it was was for them then in that day in age as we had no written Bible decided to be made in English until the 1500.

So what does that mean the Laws are not effective? No they actually are, they lead us to the one who fulfilled all of them.

Our Lord, And Saviour Jesus Christ in with faith whom make us right with God in his sight because of faith on the only one who fulfilled the laws and the talkings of the prophets.

Be encouraged to grow and question whatever traditions you may have been taught in your life!

God bless you.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Were the 10 commandments written and given to us?
Absolutely. The Ten Commandments are God's righteous standard for both moral and spiritual perfection for all human beings. While they were given to Israel, Israel was charged with giving God's truths to the whole world through Christ.

Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the Law, and the service of God, and the promises (Rom 9:4)

And he said, It is a light thing that thou [Christ] shouldest be my Servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. (Isa 49:6)

As a matter of fact, because the Bible says that even Gentiles -- who did not have the Law -- had this Law written in their hearts, we know that the Ten Commandments have universal application.

Which [Gentiles] shew the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another (Rom 2:15)

The Ten Commandments have therefore been incorporated into the Law of Christ. Christ also summed up the Ten Commandments within the two greatest commandments, and then summed up those two into the Law of Love.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for commenting and sharing Enoch.

Though you didn’t ask, I would suggest abiding in Christ he would fulfill all those commandments for you.

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMHO yes the 10 Commandments are meant for Believers, with the exception that the Sabbath being not a day but the Person of Christ for Paul states:
8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9) For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Romans 10:8-13

With Matthew 22:37-40 we see the 10 Commandments are part of the law of liberty, James 2:12-13. For Paul states we have been called to this Liberty, Galatians 5:11-13.

Reactions: MatthewG

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Commandments were given by God for the people to grow, Moses said about who would come in the future for them too move forward.
Maybe something thing like an Egg and this will hatch in time. And then we have Christianity from their forward.

The Commandments of the OT still stand ! but they are changed because such are under Grace ? so the intent of the Law has changed but still is Gods Commandments to all who have Grace. As Jesus said not one Jot of the Law was he against at all.
Jesus seek not to undermine the OT Law at all but to fulfil the Law, just as Moses said such would come.
The two Laws that Jesus gave topes off the OT Laws and the OT is under them.

As for the Jews today there is truly no such thing for 2000 years it's finished and Christianity is the seed of the Israelites from the day that Jesus went to Heaven.

One claiming to be a Jew nowadays has missed the boat by 2000 years ! it's finished. Only the worthy Israelites got on the boat and became worthy of Christ Jesus people. The Gentiles mean nothing just as any Jew means nothing, only Jesus Christ exist and all who abide in him are worthy ! the rest are nothing, because they are not worthy of Christ Jesus in fact. That's why one must be truly born again under the Holy Spirit, for outside of that one is a bastard in regards too God.

If anyone bags or has no regards for all of the Commandments of God one is mistaken. yes it's not the way that the Law was under the OT that's true ! If anyone looks at it from that angle like a Jew point of view is a disgrace now for 2000 years, it's not like that at all any more.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far no one has caused strife as far as I can tell @Brakelite.

If it is possible the goal of my threads is to keep peace.

Thank you for sharing and commenting.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Due to popular belief many would say yes, they were, but the truth is found in scripture and it takes effort to read the word of God and it can move through and past what we decide what we believe and want to see.

• “‘And God speaketh all these words, saying, I [am] Jehovah thy God, who hath brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of a house of servants. ‘Thou hast no other Gods before Me. ‘Thou dost not make to thyself a graven image, or any likeness which [is] in the heavens above, or which [is] in the earth beneath, or which [is] in the waters under the earth. Thou dost not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I, Jehovah thy God, [am] a zealous God, charging iniquity of fathers on sons, on the third [generation], and on the fourth, of those hating Me, and doing kindness to thousands, of those loving Me and keeping My commands. ‘Thou dost not take up the name of Jehovah thy God for a vain thing, for Jehovah acquitteth not him who taketh up His name for a vain thing. ‘Remember the Sabbath-day to sanctify it; six days thou dost labour, and hast done all thy work, and the seventh day [is] a Sabbath to Jehovah thy God; thou dost not do any work, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, thy man-servant, and thy handmaid, and thy cattle, and thy sojourner who is within thy gates, — for six days hath Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that [is] in them, and resteth in the seventh day; therefore hath Jehovah blessed the Sabbath-day, and doth sanctify it. ‘Honour thy father and thy mother, so that thy days are prolonged on the ground which Jehovah thy God is giving to thee. ‘Thou dost not murder. ‘Thou dost not commit adultery. ‘Thou dost not steal. ‘Thou dost not answer against thy neighbour a false testimony. ‘Thou dost not desire the house of thy neighbour, thou dost not desire the wife of thy neighbour, or his man-servant, or his handmaid, or his ox, or his ass, or anything which [is] thy neighbour's.’ And all the people are seeing the voices, and the flames, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mount smoking; and the people see, and move, and stand afar off, and say unto Moses, ‘Speak thou with us, and we hear, and let not God speak with us, lest we die.’ And Moses saith unto the people, ‘Fear not, for to try you hath God come, and in order that His fear may be before your faces — that ye sin not.’ And the people stand afar off, and Moses hath drawn nigh unto the thick darkness where God [is]. And Jehovah saith unto Moses, ‘Thus dost thou say unto the sons of Israel: Ye — ye have seen that from the heavens I have spoken with you;

This being the Young’s Literal Translation it’s much harder for the average person to read out loud to oneself, as it is literal translation from the Greek, that was done by Robert Young a long time ago now, over 200 years or so in 1898 I believe was the final edition to be released upon nearing the ending of the first 22th verse and the very first verse you can see how God is talking to the ones who were lead out of Egypt, the Jewish people that would become the Nation of Israel.

This is why proper study is important to learn, the Levitical Law was given to the and way of the priesthood was only given to the descendants of Aaron, does that mean they were written to us? No it was was for them then in that day in age as we had no written Bible decided to be made in English until the 1500.

So what does that mean the Laws are not effective? No they actually are, they lead us to the one who fulfilled all of them.

Our Lord, And Saviour Jesus Christ in with faith whom make us right with God in his sight because of faith on the only one who fulfilled the laws and the talkings of the prophets.

Be encouraged to grow and question whatever traditions you may have been taught in your life!

God bless you.

The 10 Commandments as well as the rest of the law were given to Moses to be presented to those who Jehovah delivered from Egypt as a covenant. The refugees all said in agreement when Moses presented it to them: (Exodus 19:7-9) . . .So Moses went and summoned the elders of the people and declared to them all these words that Jehovah had commanded him. 8 After that all the people answered unanimously: “All that Jehovah has spoken, we are willing to do.” Moses immediately took the people’s response to Jehovah.

God accepted, and God now had a new nation, a covenanted people for His name. That nation which would grow would remain under that covenant until 36 CE, 3.5 yrs from the start of the covenant that was put into force on Pentecost of 33 CE. Hope that answers your question Matt.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far no one has caused strife as far as I can tell @Brakelite.

If it is possible the goal of my threads is to keep peace.

Thank you for sharing and commenting.
Matthew 10:34
“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke 12:51
Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but division.

Jeremiah 6:14
They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. ‘Peace, peace,’ they say, when there is no peace.

1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying, "Peace and security," destruction will come upon them suddenly, like labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

hope this helps !!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing and commenting Robert.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Due to popular belief many would say yes, they were
This is not accurate. The vast majority of Christians today believe the Commandments are not for them as that is what they have been taught in church. Churches far and wide have been teaching this for probably the last century, or more.

Everyone must honestly, and humbly, study the following passages and pray about them and decide for themselves.

The massive group of people that came out of Egypt in the Exodus, said to be around 600,000 men, not counting women and children - so likely closer to a million, were not one single blood line race of people, nor were they all, at the time, worshipers of the God of the Bible.

They were a mixed multitude.
Exodus 12:38

Not only were the 10 Commandments already given prior to the dramatic events at Mt. Sinai, proven by the events that took place prior to their arrival to the mountain in chapter 16 of Exodus, (which is just one proof that they were not only given to Israel)
Exodus 16:4-5
Exodus 16:22-23
...but when the Commandments were finally presented by the voice of God from the mountain top of Sinai, Moses made a very revealing admission at that time.

First Moses makes note of the many strangers (not Israel) that are present within this massive number of people he is addressing.
Deuteronomy 29:11

Then Moses speaks specifically to the blood children of Israel, emphasizing their fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, telling them that God is establishing them as a people unto Himself, that He may be their God; and in a massively illuminating declaration to modern church doctrine, Moses tells them this:

"Neither with you (Israel) only do I make this covenant and this oath; But with him that standeth here with us this day (all strangers present) before the Lord our God, and also with him that is not here with us this day: (all who will pledge themselves to God Almighty 'til the end of time)"
Deuteronomy 29:14-15

Anybody who studies these passages honestly, and considers Scripture as a whole (those who actually study the entire Bible cover-to-cover), cannot possibly, in good conscience, come to the conclusion that the Bible agrees with the modern church teaching that the 10 Commandments are only for an ancient people that are no longer relevant to Christians today.

It's right there in Scripture and no honest and diligent student of the Bible can deny it. There are also plenty of proof texts in the NT to make it undeniable that sin (the breaking of the 10 Commandments 1 John 3:4) is still a valid consideration for Christians, which proves that the 10 Commandments are still valid as they define sin and the very righteousness of God.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for commenting and sharing Gen2Rev.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments are the eternal moral law for all men!

and they are found in the New Testament also!

Eph 6:2 for example

I guess it’s ok for gentiles to commit adultery and murder???

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God bless you.
Jesus quotes several of the Ten Commandments - I would say they were written for us.