What are the main doctrinal differences between Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol.
I went to the source you advertised. I have also been reading the threads you folk participate in, not learning  any truth.
Were you looking for any? You have already made up your mind so what is there left to say? That is your choice to make.
I do not believe you guys have been indoctrinated but rather "brainwashed."
Mine needed washing after being raised with all those lies masquerading as truth.
Repeat a thing enough times & folks begin to repeat it with you until " they" believe you are telling them the truth!

I'm not one of the weak minded!!!!!!
You know what makes me smile Keturah?.....the fact that you are talking about yourself here, and you have no idea how far Christendom has strayed from the truth that Jesus taught. You are only comparing what we say to what you yourself have been led to believe is truth....they obviously repeated the "thing" enough times until the whole of Christendom believed it.
Those on the road to life are "few"....the "many" are traveling along the superhighway to destruction. (Matt 7:13-14)

You say you 'didn't ask questions much here' but you based all your assumptions on what Christendom teaches.....perhaps you need to ask Christendom some questions....like "where did belief in immortality of the soul originate?" "Where does either God or Jesus say that they share equality?" "Where did Jesus say that he was God incarnate?" "Where will I find God saying that he will torture anyone in flames for eternity?" "Where are the churches carrying out "the great commission?"

It is the ones "doing the will of the Father" who will be granted life....not those simply talking about it. (Matthew 7:21-23)

• Haha
Reactions: Keturah

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So if I'm a JW, and 10 years down the road there is new light, which corrects a view I held for those 10 years, a view that I was taught is the truth from God's appointed channel, and I refuse to accept this new view because the previous view I believed was truth, I get disfellowshipped for not accepting this "progressive" new light. Then 5 years down the road, they get new light and again change that view that they stated was divine truth from Jehovah's channel back to the view that I held, will they knock and my door and say "we're sorry brother, you were right all along, please come back"?
And you actually know people to whom this happened? I do not...and I have been a JW for over 50 years.
If the slave is appointed to “feed” Christ’s entire household their “food at the proper time”, then we get what we need, when we need it.
Revelation of truth is progressive and always has been. To have a single entity to regulate that progressive revelation maintains unity and internal harmony and peace.
Paul described it this way....”Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.”
If you have a ‘free for all’ as we see in disunited denominations of Christendom’s churches, then truth is sacrificed in the freedom to believe whatever you wish.
Jane, you're more than welcome to follow whoever you want. But in the end, you'll have to answer for why you followed certain men who claim to speak for God.
I can ask you the same question........Why believe Russell as if this one man was the appointed slave?
No one man was ever appointed to lead the Christian congregation. According to popular definitions, to follow a single man, and adhere to his teachings exclusively, makes you a member of a cult. Was Jesus a cult leader? Who did Jesus appoint to teach others? Only one man? There is safety in numbers because the “body” must work in harmony and agreement. No one man has all the say.
I was simply responding to BARNEY BRIGHT who stated

"We don't consider people in Catholic churches and protestants churches to be apostates."That wasn't a true statement, was it?
“We don’t consider people in the Catholic and Protestant churches to be apostates”. True statement.
They are members of an apostate church system. Like the Jews down through history, the apostasy occurred early in their history and was compounded as time went on and they added things to what God’s word taught. The people were swept along with their leaders and swallowed what they were taught as truth, when it was all lies.
Family pressure can make it difficult to make your own decision about who God is, and what is acceptable to him. Free will can be exercised when we are brave enough to follow our heart. Our choices and the reasons for them are ours to make....but we are not free to interpret scripture for ourselves, as you well know. The appointed slave must be the source of our spiritual food. We have to decide who he is for ourselves.

We call on people of all faiths, in all nations because Jehovah wants people of all nations and faiths to come to a knowledge of his son and all that he taught. (Acts 10:34-35) Salvation is open to all because Jesus died for all mankind.....but not all mankind wants to accept an inconvenient truth and become different to the mainstream....like the first Christians had to.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Patrick1966
Why do you give the JW's a thread to pontificate & spread their jargon on.......let them open their own threads ?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Patrick1966
Why do you give the JW's a thread to pontificate & spread their jargon on.......let them open their own threads ?
Wow!.....no support provided for what you believe, but 'shut these guys up'? Really? hmmx1:
I imagine that the Jews said the same thing about Jesus and his disciples.......How dare they steal our God and make him into something we don't like! :ummm:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was kind of waiting for the JW "experts" to chime in.....all they demonstrate is that they know nothing about us except what is told to them by our opposers.....no surprises there, we have heard it all. We are not Arians.

Jesus told his disciples....
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. 21 But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me."

This is our experience....we cop more flack for less offense than any other religious group. We simply do what Jesus did....tell an inconvenient truth to people who don't want to hear it.....yet some do. (John 6:44; 65)

I came out of Christendom, so I have been on both sides of this fence, and the things said about us in ignorance are sometimes quite comical....

We hold NO doctrinal beliefs in common with Christendom......so the differences between us are large.

We are Bible students first and foremost, and this allows us to examine every doctrine formulated by the "church" system even though there is little cohesion among those who claim to be Christ's disciples in the many denominational churches. But they are usually united in their dislike for us. The Bible says that the Pharisees and Sadducees of Jesus' day had an intense dislike for one another, but were united in their hatred for Jesus and his disciples.....so it is nothing new.

Here is a brief summary...
What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?
Here is a FULL summary of the inability of jehovah witness doctrine = Phillippians 2:5-11

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a FULL summary of the inability of jehovah witness doctrine = Phillippians 2:5-11
Yep.
Any whom I see that have written in denial of Jesus deity, or by choosing their cults, I'm putting on ignore;!
I do not feel like they can be helped when they have been in any cult long term.

Seriously thinking of these also who deny the word of God or mock believers of his word, claiming it is a form of idolatry !

Reactions: David in NJ

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I cannot count the number of times I have explained the full import of this scripture....misinterpreted in many English translations so as to infer the complete opposite of what is actually said.

Let’s see what the original words of this scripture are saying....

I’ll quote from the ESV....a bit at a time....
“5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped”

So Christ existed in God’s “form”......what “form” does God have? John 4:24 says that “God is a spirit”...does a spirit have a “form”...apparently they do, but these are not visible to human eyes. As heaven is full of spirit creatures who are all in the same spirit “form”, we can take from that scripture that Jesus was also a “spirit” before he was “sent” to earth as a human.
Also he “did NOT count equality with God as a thing to be grasped” (Strongs renders that as something “seized by robbery”) so this is something Christ never did...to rob his God and Father of his deity by claiming to be his equal.

“7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.”

Can God really be his own servant? Did he ever need to become a human, lower than his own angels, in order to redeem mankind? If you think that is what this is saying, then you have no idea of the mechanics of redemption. God’s law demanded ‘like for like’....to redeem someone out of a debt that they incurred or inherited, the exact price had to be paid. In order for Adam’s sin to be compensated for, a “sinless life” had to be offered for the “sinless life” that Adam took from his children. All Jesus needed to be was “sinless”...and this is why he needed to come from heaven, since all of Adam’s descendants were now sinful. He never needed to be God to do that…in fact it was impossible for an immortal God to die.

“8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

“Obedient to the point of death”....to whom was Christ obedient? Himself?

“9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name”

God “highly exalted” himself? And bestowed on himself “a name that is above” the one he already had?
His name is already the highest in existence. (Psalm 83:18)

“10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

So “in the name of Jesus every knee should bow”…..is bending the knee, or bowing, necessarily worship? Or is it a mark of respect often given to royalty?
And to “confess that Jesus is Lord”…..is that to acknowledge him as “God” or is that also a title of respect?
Sarah called Abraham “Lord”…..was he her God? (Gen 18:12; 1 Peter 3:6)

And Christ’s whole mission that he carried out so faithfully, was to whose glory? His own? No!…all glory went to his God and Father.

Have you ever really read what this scripture is actually saying? Or do you assume to just read over its very clear truth, without relying on the entirety of scripture to furnish your beliefs.

Those who disregard the truth to accept old falsehoods, are blinded by a counterfeit Christianity, created by God’s enemy…..Jesus warned us that this apostasy would take place…but instead of understanding that this happened many centuries ago, and has infiltrated man’s thinking down to this ‘time of the end’, they continue to believe the lies. The seeds of that apostasy were not sown recently. The prophet Daniel foretold that at “the time of the end” God would “cleanse and refine” a people (Daniel 12:4, 9-10) who would stand out as different…..totally separated from the “weeds” who have been in existence for centuries, corrupting everything Christ taught.

Read God’s word as it explains itself, not adding foreign concepts grafted into scripture by a corrupt church, in the centuries following the death of the apostles.

Nothing in a world ruled by the devil, is as it appears…(1 John 5:19)

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Aunty Jane says: also he “did NOT count equality with God as a thing to be grasped” (Strongs renders that as something “seized by robbery”) so this is something Christ never did...to rob his God and Father of his deity by claiming to be his equal.

Dear Aunty = Christ did not need to count equality with God as a thing to be grasped because HE is FULLY and ETERNALLY the Second Member of the One TRUE ELOHIM(PLURAL) = FATHER/SON/HOLY SPIRIT = Inseparable

Here is direct Truth for you Aunty and unless you place your complete trust in it you will not SEE.

John 1:14-18
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ ”
And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time.
The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Aunty Jane says: also he “did NOT count equality with God as a thing to be grasped” (Strongs renders that as something “seized by robbery”) so this is something Christ never did...to rob his God and Father of his deity by claiming to be his equal.

Dear Aunty = Christ did not need to count equality with God as a thing to be grasped because HE is FULLY and ETERNALLY the Second Member of the One TRUE ELOHIM(PLURAL) = FATHER/SON/HOLY SPIRIT = Inseparable

Here is direct Truth for you Aunty and unless you place your complete trust in it you will not SEE.

John 1:14-18
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ ”
And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time.
The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
Again you hark back to the ancient lies that form the shaky foundations of Christendom….

From John 1:1 you deduce that “the word is Yahweh” because he is called “theos” (god) but if you read that verse in Greek you will see the omission of a very small word that identifies Yahweh (“ho theos”) in that verse, but not Jesus who is called simply “theos”….There are two “gods” mentioned in that verse…..only one of them is the Almighty…..the other is one who has been given divine authority like the judges in Israel who Yahweh himself called “gods” (theos).…see John 10:31-36.
”theos” in Greek does not simply apply to Yahweh…..satan is also called “theos” in 2 Cor 4:4.
It means any god or goddess, or person of divine origin or authority.

It was the Word who became flesh, not “ho theos” (“THE GOD” of the Jews)

The old KJV is again teaching falsehoods by biased translation.
If “no one has seen God at any time“…how many people saw Jesus?

In more accurate manuscripts than those based on the old dinosaur, that verse reads….
”No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.”

There is no “son” in that verse in the old original manuscripts.
Please tell me how God can be “begotten”? One who is begotten needs a ‘begetter’ who existed before him and caused his existence.

Your reading of scripture is colored by these ancient lies promoted as truth by Christendom….which is a completely divided and disunited excuse for Christianity. It is the devil’s counterfeit, foretold by Jesus, and cleverly constructed to trap those who do no personal research into what Christ actually taught about his relationship with his God and Father.

Even in heaven, Jesus has a God….(Rev 3:12)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again you hark back to the ancient lies that form the shaky foundations of Christendom….

From John 1:1 you deduce that “the word is Yahweh” because he is called “theos” (god) but if you read that verse in Greek you will see the omission of a very small word that identifies Yahweh (“ho theos”) in that verse, but not Jesus who is called simply “theos”….There are two “gods” mentioned in that verse…..only one of them is the Almighty…..the other is one who has been given divine authority like the judges in Israel who Yahweh himself called “gods” (theos).…see John 10:31-36.
”theos” in Greek does not simply apply to Yahweh…..satan is also called “theos” in 2 Cor 4:4.
It means any god or goddess, or person of divine origin or authority.

It was the Word who became flesh, not “ho theos” (“THE GOD” of the Jews)

The old KJV is again teaching falsehoods by biased translation.
If “no one has seen God at any time“…how many people saw Jesus?

In more accurate manuscripts than those based on the old dinosaur, that verse reads….
”No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.”

There is no “son” in that verse in the old original manuscripts.
Please tell me how God can be “begotten”? One who is begotten needs a ‘begetter’ who existed before him and caused his existence.

Your reading of scripture is colored by these ancient lies promoted as truth by Christendom….which is a completely divided and disunited excuse for Christianity. It is the devil’s counterfeit, foretold by Jesus, and cleverly constructed to trap those who do no personal research into what Christ actually taught about his relationship with his God and Father.

Even in heaven, Jesus has a God….(Rev 3:12)
Aunty says: "Again you hark back to the ancient lies that form the shaky foundations of Christendom…."

There are many fraudulent foundation(s) of Christendom = RCC, JW, LDS, and on they go

The Foundation of Truth is the LORD Jesus Christ = The ROCK upon which i stand

The biggest ancient lie is that there is a single god who created his son.

TRUTH begins with the word 'ELOHIM' = "In the beginning Elohim created....."

This specific TRUTH is the Beginning of the Gospel = John chapter 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Aunty says: "Again you hark back to the ancient lies that form the shaky foundations of Christendom…."

There are many fraudulent foundation(s) of Christendom = RCC, JW, LDS, and on they go

The Foundation of Truth is the LORD Jesus Christ = The ROCK upon which i stand

The biggest ancient lie is that there is a single god who created his son.

TRUTH begins with the word 'ELOHIM' = "In the beginning Elohim created....."
OK who is “Elohim”?
Strongs gives a few definitions of this designation…

”plural
  1. rulers, judges
  2. divine ones
  3. angels
  4. gods

So, is it correct to imply that “Elohim” means only one entity? Look and see for yourself that it can pertain to “rulers”, “divine ones”, “angels” or any other ”gods”.
The fact that it is plural…does that mean that Yahweh is more than one God? That would contradict everything the Jews were taught about Yahweh. (Deut 6:4) It was against God’s law to have any other gods but Yahweh. (Exodus 20:3)

You post things with very flimsy and superficial evidence, and so it is extremely easy to refute what you claim. And the fact that you have said nothing in reply to these refutations is speaking volumes.

These posts are not rebuttals but excuses to go on believing what you cannot substantiate.
If we know what we believe…we have to know why we believe it…..do you know why you believe what the Bible does not teach? Who told you it was true? Do you trust the source?

This specific TRUTH is the Beginning of the Gospel = John chapter 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
No matter how much you want to believe what you have probably been taught all your life was the truth….a lie will never save you….and a lie will never be the truth.

Look again at what it actually says rather than what you think it does…..
”In the beginning was the Word and the Word was WITH God”..

What “beginning” is this? Since God is eternal, he had no beginning, so if Jesus was “WITH GOD, IN THE BEGINNING”….tell us when that was.

Colossians 1:15…
”He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation”.

How can Paul call Jesus “the firstborn of all creation”, if that was not true?

And in line with John 1:2-3, the son is the agency ”through” whom all creation came to be. If Jesus was the one who brought creation into existence, then he had to exist himself before all of it…..This makes him God‘s “only begotten son”….a unique “son” among millions…..the first and only direct creation of his Father.

As Paul goes on to say…
16 because by means of him all things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist”.

Rev 2:14 also confirms this truth….Jesus said of himself…
”These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God”.

If you read the Bible correctly, it explains itself without the scriptural gymnastics that Christendom has to resort to, in order to back up what they claim is the truth…..sorry, but it never was.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK who is “Elohim”?
Strongs gives a few definitions of this designation…

”plural
  1. rulers, judges
  2. divine ones
  3. angels
  4. gods

So, is it correct to imply that “Elohim” means only one entity? Look and see for yourself that it can pertain to “rulers”, “divine ones”, “angels” or any other ”gods”.
The fact that it is plural…does that mean that Yahweh is more than one God? That would contradict everything the Jews were taught about Yahweh. (Deut 6:4) It was against God’s law to have any other gods but Yahweh. (Exodus 20:3)

You post things with very flimsy and superficial evidence, and so it is extremely easy to refute what you claim. And the fact that you have said nothing in reply to these refutations is speaking volumes.

These posts are not rebuttals but excuses to go on believing what you cannot substantiate.
If we know what we believe…we have to know why we believe it…..do you know why you believe what the Bible does not teach? Who told you it was true? Do you trust the source?

No matter how much you want to believe what you have probably been taught all your life was the truth….a lie will never save you….and a lie will never be the truth.

Look again at what it actually says rather than what you think it does…..
”In the beginning was the Word and the Word was WITH God”..

What “beginning” is this? Since God is eternal, he had no beginning, so if Jesus was “WITH GOD, IN THE BEGINNING”….tell us when that was.

Colossians 1:15…
”He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation”.

How can Paul call Jesus “the firstborn of all creation”, if that was not true?

And in line with John 1:2-3, the son is the agency ”through” whom all creation came to be. If Jesus was the one who brought creation into existence, then he had to exist himself before all of it…..This makes him God‘s “only begotten son”….a unique “son” among millions…..the first and only direct creation of his Father.

As Paul goes on to say…
16 because by means of him all things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist”.

Rev 2:14 also confirms this truth….Jesus said of himself…
”These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God”.

If you read the Bible correctly, it explains itself without the scriptural gymnastics that Christendom has to resort to, in order to back up what they claim is the truth…..sorry, but it never was.

ELOHIM told us exactly who THEY are = Genesis, Exodus, Gospel

Genesis = "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness"

Genesis = Abraham, Isaac, Jacob

Exodus = 3:14-16

Gospel = Matthew chapter 3

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This one made me smile……the RCC from which all of Christendom derived its foundational beliefs is the one whose beliefs you have accepted. These beliefs, in part or in full, are found in every false religion that exists.
That is.….beliefs in more than one god and which gives Christendom its “godhead”…a word invented by the church to obscure God’s true nature and identity.

They also promoted belief in an immortal soul, which was borrowed from the pagan Greeks….and then we have hellfire which is also a pagan adoption. So not much of what is taught by Christendom has its roots in the Bible. False ideas were cleverly grafted over certain ambiguous scriptures and served up to the ignorant masses as truth. They were in no position to question anything.

ELOHIM told us exactly who THEY are = Genesis, Exodus, Gospel
”They“ do not exist in Genesis, Exodus or the gospels….have you really studied these scriptures?
Genesis = "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness"
Who was God talking to? Himself?
Since the scriptures I have already presented to you show that the pre-human Jesus was “the only begotten son of God” before any other creation existed, and he was instrumental in the creation itself, who else would God be speaking to?

Proverbs 8:22-23; 27-31, tells us about one who was working at his Father’s side in creation, just like John does….
”Jehovah produced me as the beginning of his way,
The earliest of his achievements of long ago.
23 From ancient times I was installed,
From the start, from times earlier than the earth. . . . .

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there;
When he marked out the horizon on the surface of the waters,
28 When he established the clouds above,
When he founded the fountains of the deep,
29 When he set a decree for the sea
That its waters should not pass beyond his order,
When he established the foundations of the earth,
30 Then I was beside him as a master worker.
I was the one he was especially fond of day by day;
I rejoiced before him all the time;
31 I rejoiced over his habitable earth,

And I was especially fond of the sons of men.”

God was not alone in creation….
Genesis = Abraham, Isaac, Jacob
You lost me here….care to be more specific with this?
Abraham was the father of Isaac who became the father of Jacob….What is your point?
Exodus = 3:14-16
Have you ever looked this passage up in a Jewish Tanakh?

Here you go…..Exodus 3:13-15….
13 And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:
14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:
15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣

So the Jews knew who their God was because God instructed Moses to tell them his name and it’s meaning….It was never a statement about his existence though because the Jews already knew who their God was….they had never known him like this however…..”I will be what I will be” was an extension of the God they had been taught to worship because it meant that he would be or become whatever he needed to be in order to accomplish his purpose for Israel.

This scripture has no connection whatsoever with John 8:58. Christendom twisted that to suit their doctrine. “I AM“ was never God’s name.

Gospel = Matthew chapter 3
Again you need to be more specific in citing scripture…..what part of Matt 3 are you addressing and what is your point?
Your replies are somewhat vague….

Last edited:

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are the main doctrinal differences between Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christianity?​

While JWs got a lot of things wrong, it was a grand slam on their part that they successfully identified that Jesus isn't God. Therefore, they don't have the idolatry problem that all of the Protestants and Catholics suffer from.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above post is why I love "ignore".

The reprobates and deniers of Christ deity will have their day, soon !

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're one and only God isn't the Father then you have an idol. It's as simple as that and I didn't write the Bible. John 17:3, 1 Corinthians 8:6, Ephesians 4:6, 1 John 5:20, etc. Their day is coming.

Revelation 21
8But to the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and sexually immoral and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This is the second death.”

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So the Jews knew who their God was because God instructed Moses to tell them his name and it’s meaning….It was never a statement about his existence though because the Jews already knew who their God was….they had never known him like this however…..”I will be what I will be” was an extension of the God they had been taught to worship because it meant that he would be or become whatever he needed to be in order to accomplish his purpose for Israel.

This scripture has no connection whatsoever with John 8:58. Christendom twisted that to suit their doctrine. “I AM“ was never God’s name.
It’s interesting that you favor future tense over present tense here, when the Hebrew grammar allows for either to be correct. I’m not saying you’re wrong. But the overwhelming consensus of bible translations favors I AM over I WILL BE. Exodus 3:14 - Bible Gateway That should at least give you some pause here, shouldn’t it?

I will say that John 8:58 doesn’t help your cause. Whether or not Jesus’ “I AM” declaration was intended as a blasphemous identification with God (which is how he was understood, since the next verse mentions the effort to stone him), there is just no way to conclude that Jesus declared “I WILL BE.” So his audience must have favored the “I AM” interpretation of Exodus 3:14.