What are Your Feelings on Tithes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
yeh, but our pastors "have gone a'whoring" imo, long time ago; so what about that? Do they even fit the passage anymore?
@amadeus
Not entirely. The Bible says "as God has prospered you".

Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (1 Cor 16:2)

So if you received a bonus of $10,000 for excellent work, how much did God prosper you over your regular income? Therefore another principle kicks in: But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. (2 Cor 9:6)
"that there be no gatherings when i come" is maybe the operative phrase for the rest of this convo though? also "let him who has two coats give to him who has none"

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even so with regard to lording it over us but also see...

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13
Ok John, so this scripture states their function is in bringing to Christ, my question is what is their role beyond an individual coming to the knowledge of Christ. The reason I ask is because it's hard to get Christ crucified and resurrected wrong, but of course many take liberty far beyond this, and in my opinion shipwreck.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church of the past really wanted your tithes.

How about yours?

You asked “what are your feelings on the tithe?” That ‘a tenth’ is not about money.

Isaiah 6:13 Lexicon: "Yet there will be a tenth portion in it, And it will again be subject to burning, Like a terebinth or an oak Whose stump remains when it is felled. The holy seed is its stump."

Isaiah 6:12–13 (YLT): And Jehovah hath put man far off, And great is the forsaken part in the heart of the land. 13And yet in it a tenth, and it hath turned, And hath been for a burning, As a teil-tree, and as an oak, that in falling, Have substance in them, The holy seed is its substance!

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
https://tbibl.es/177J
Hebrews 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church of the past really wanted your tithes.

How about yours?
Scripture says “On the first day of the week each of you should set aside whatever he can afford,” and that God loves a cheerful giver.

God doesn’t demand a fixed amount of money from us. He wants us to give from the heart. If people are forced by their church to give a certain percent of their income. If they give freely and cheerfully the amount they are able, that’s a gift.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting God first isn't the question. Do you think you must tithe? My Pastor thought so!
I don't believe that you should, but many Pastor's believe that their congregation should because they do not have any faith that they will give generously from the heart as God leads them.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Not entirely. The Bible says "as God has prospered you".

Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (1 Cor 16:2)

So if you received a bonus of $10,000 for excellent work, how much did God prosper you over your regular income? Therefore another principle kicks in: But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. (2 Cor 9:6)
They were to set aside money aside for the poor saints in Jerusalem, not for passtors.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing, while it is not a legalistic obligation in the NT, carries with it a promise. So if you want to be a recipient of the promise you will fulfill its condition (see Malachi 3).

You do understand that the "windows of heaven" is rain! Do you want the promise of rain?

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Even so with regard to lording it over us but also see...

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13

They were to set aside money aside for the poor saints in Jerusalem, not for pastors.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
I have mostly used these verses in reference to giving to God's work.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8--Remember this: The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously. Each person should do as he has decided in his heart — not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.
1Co 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

Collection for the poor saints, mainly those in Jerusalem, not pastors.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They were to set aside money aside for the poor saints in Jerusalem, not for passtors.
This is rather specious reasoning and shows that you are not prepared to obey the NT directives to Christians.

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. (1 Tim 5:17)

1. Who are the elders that rule well? Pastors are elders, and elders (plural) take oversight of the local church. That is what "rule" means.

2. Who labor in the Word and doctrine? Those who preach and teach within the assembly, and work hard to bring out Bible truths.

3. What is double honor? The context shows that it is GENEROUS COMPENSATION to those who are the pastor/elder/bishops.

Looks like you are the one who is not willing to take responsibility within your church by complaining about "tithes".

Reactions: Brakelite

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok John, so this scripture states their function is in bringing to Christ, my question is what is their role beyond an individual coming to the knowledge of Christ. The reason I ask is because it's hard to get Christ crucified and resurrected wrong, but of course many take liberty far beyond this, and in my opinion shipwreck.
Over the years after my time in the Catholic Church I had 8 pastors. Early on I did not have a clue as to what authority they should have or did have. With the very first one I got into in trouble for asking him seriously where he [the pastor] got his authority. He never answered me and rebuked me in front of the whole congregation for challenging his authority. I did not do that. My question was sincere. I was reading the Bible for the first time in my life. I really did not know and he never gave me an answer.

God gave us pastors for the purposes stated in scripture, but my experience has been that they all too often take it upon themselves to 'lord' it over the congregation. Usually the congregation in ignorance presumes he is right. Most of those who are not so ignorant probably don't stay too long. That is my view. Perhaps others have seen it differently.

The very best one of my 8 missed the mark as I see it. This does not mean there are no good ones out there...

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a member of several churches over the years. Only one of them has taught its members to tithe - and that was a recommendation, not compulsory.

But I started tithing about 18 months after becoming a Christian - not because I was told to by any person, but because God laid it on my heart. That was over 40 years ago now, and since that time I've never given away less than 10% of my income. Never had any cause to regret it either.

Tithing

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Seems to imply there were some that ruled well that didn't labor in the word so much?
That would depend on their spiritual gifts. Evangelists, pastors, and teachers are spiritual gifts. So are "ruling" or "governments". Again this shows why there was always a plurality of elders (not one pastor).

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 8:14-15 KJV
But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: [15] As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been a member of several churches over the years. Only one of them has taught its members to tithe - and that was a recommendation, not compulsory.

But I started tithing about 18 months after becoming a Christian - not because I was told to by any person, but because God laid it on my heart. That was over 40 years ago now, and since that time I've never given away less than 10% of my income. Never had any cause to regret it either.

Tithing
How'd you come up with 10%?