What benefit does it produce to make Jesus God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's not all the bible says about Jesus, is it. He was a man and son of man, but not just a man. There are lots of scrips alluding to Who He is. If our faith were in any other man that would be idolatry. Why is it not idolatry to have our faith in Christ Jesus?

The answer to the OP question is...salvation.

Are you telling me you have a verse saying the reason Jesus came as God is because we can be saved if we believe Jesus is God?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect.
Before Abraham was (prin Abraam genesthai). Usual idiom with prin in positive sentence with infinitive (second aorist middle of ginomai) and the accusative of general reference, “before coming as to Abraham,” “before Abraham came into existence or was born.”
I am (egō eimi). Undoubtedly here Jesus claims eternal existence with the absolute phrase used of God. The contrast between genesthai (entrance into existence of Abraham) and eimi (timeless being) is complete. See the same contrast between en in Joh_1:1 and egeneto in Joh_1:14. See the contrast also in Psa_90:2 between God (ei, art) and the mountains (genēthēnai). See the same use of eimi in Joh_6:20; Joh_9:9; Joh_8:24, Joh_8:28; Joh_18:6.

It still does not answer the question as to why Jesus had to be God. You are simply saying that he is.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Peterlag

I've come late to the party! I really don't know what has been said so far, so I'll just tell you what I've come to believe. Growing up I didn't believe that Jesus was STILL God, but that He once was. That is what I was taught in the SDA denomination 60 years ago. I left it in 1970. I can still remember being shocked to read in Titus that Jesus is still God! I even wrote it on the side of the page.

Titus 1:1-3
Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, 2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, 3 but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;

Titus 2:13-14 (this is the verse that I wrote "Jesus is God!" next to).
13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.

(The Father and Spirit are invisible as all spirit is, so only Jesus can "appear")

Without Jesus being God then it wouldn't mean anything supernatural for us to be born again and have a divine nature free from sin. 2 Peter 1:2-11.

Of course Mary was human and had a sin nature. BUT Jesus was conceived with the seed of God! So in modern terms he was a hybrid, both man and God. And 1 John 3:9 shows us that we humans can also be born again with the same seed of God. That is why it is important that Jesus is God so we can become ONE with God. Read John 17.

In the end when all that is in heaven are those saved being born again and the righteous angels - heaven will be a sinless place, and no more sacrifices will ever be needed again to again cleanse anyone or anything (angels included) from sin. The fallen angels that sinned will never be there again.

Revelation 22:11

Since you came late I will explain. The question is not is he God. But rather why does he need to be God? I gave 2 verses that said why he needed to not be God. Can you give 2 verses that say why he needs to be God?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. Only begotten even. Unique and only SON. That Son came from heaven and became a man in order to die.
Seeing He is the only unique natural born begotten Son of God, what does that make Jesuso if not God? Did God beget a reptile? A flower? An angel? A cow,? Of course not. So what did God beget if not God?

My father begot me. Not himself. But back to the OP question... what is the purpose to have Jesus as God?

Reactions: Matthias

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It still does not answer the question as to why Jesus had to be God. You are simply saying that he is.
Tit 2:13 awaiting and confidently expecting the [fulfillment of our] blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,
AMP
Joh 1:1 In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself. [Gen_1:1; Isa_9:6]
AMP
Irrefutably, undeniably, Christ Jesus IS GOD!!!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do you have a verse to go along with that?

No. Remember, I’m not a trinitarian. I’m an ex-trinitarian. The quote is from a former trinitarian student of mine. It’s nothing more than a rationalization. A statement of unbelief (a human person couldn’t defeat Satan) followed by a statement of faith (only God himself could defeat Satan).

I gave it to you as a trinitarian response to your question.

I’m a Jewish monotheist. I believe Jesus is a human person. (Please note that I commented about trinitarianism teaching us that Jesus is NOT a human person in post #371.) I further believe that Jesus is God only in a secondary sense.

Last edited:

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No. Remember, I’m not a trinitarian. I’m an ex-trinitarian. The quote is from a former trinitarian student of mine. It’s nothing more than a rationalization. A statement of unbelief (a human person couldn’t defeat Satan) followed by a statement of faith (only God himself could defeat Satan).

I gave it to you as a trinitarian response to your question.

I’m a Jewish monotheist. I believe Jesus is a human person. (Please note that I commented about trinitarianism teaching us the Jesus is NOT a human person in post #371.) I further believe that Jesus is God only in a secondary sense.
Secondary sense?

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Secondary sense?

Yes. There is a primary sense and there is a secondary sense.

Trinitarianism - are you or are you not a trinitarian? :) - understands Jesus to be God in a primary sense; literally.

Jewish monotheism understands Jesus to be God in a secondary sense; figuratively.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many selfs is the Trinity?
4-7 but possibly 11:
  1. God the Father
  2. God the HS
  3. God the son, in his divine nature.
  4. God the son, in his human nature.
  5. S1
  6. S2
  7. S3
  8. S4
  9. S5
  10. S6
  11. S7, the 7 Spirits of God referenced in Revelations.
  12. God of Grace
  13. God of Love
  14. God of Mercy
  15. God of Justice
  16. THE LORD OF HEAVEN’S ARMIES.
I may have missed a couple of dozen or hundred maybe or billions when God is in all. Hard to say how many selves, maybe also 1 and 3 at the same time. Do I get partial credit if I include the preferred answer? :p

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you telling me you have a verse saying the reason Jesus came as God is because we can be saved if we believe Jesus is God?
Jesus didn't come as God, He made Himself of no reputation in the form of a servant, found in fashion as a man...but as Paul wrote, He WAS God manifest in the flesh.

We have our faith and trust in Jesus Christ and that is how we are saved. We'd be sinning if we had our faith in a mere man. Our HEARTS believe He is God, if we are saved, and that is why we obey, praise, thank and worship Him......even those who don't quite get that with their mind yet. Only God has power to save....God is called Saviour throughout OT scripture.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt you'll get an honest answer.

Mr. Avoid the Subject and Replace Question With What You Deem A Better Question,

Why not answer Peterlag's inferior question, out of respect, and then start a new thread with your superior, better question?
A bit harsh, don't you think?...and the question is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.