What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a library full of 100's of books. Right now I'm just reading my Bible lately. :) Taking a break from all the books and being still before the Lord trying to hear from Him through His word. I know that sounds cliche but I'm taking a break from all the books for a time. And I have about a 1/2 dozen new books I ordered this year I have not even read one page from so I know I have allot of catching up to do lol.

Most of my new books are about the Atonement and Calvinism.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve put it off long enough. It’s time to face the music. I’ll be wrestling (again) with my least favorite Ante-Nicene writer, Origen.

In the morning I’ll begin / resume the struggle by reading Letter Of Origen To Gregory Thaumaturgus. I’ll follow that up by reading Origen’s Commentary On Matthew.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's good to read things you like and likely agree with, but also things that you don't necessarily like and do not completely agree with. It's good to read things that challenge your perspective and understanding. By allowing the process, you force yourself to leave your personal comfort zone, get out of your box (which may be a trap) and explore the world, so to speak. Certainly not everything 'in the world' is good, but then neither is it all bad. Folks who never escape the feathered nest, never learn to fly. They never gain a higher perspective on things. Nothing ventured, nothing gained-- as the saying goes.

@Matthias in your quest for knowledge have you ever read Marcion? Just curious. An interesting character. A disciple of the Apostle Paul circa 85 CE. He compiled the first canon of New Testament writings-- in fact, he may be the primary source for the collection of Paul's letters that comprise the bulk of the 'New Testament.'

Anyways..... I've just picked up a copy of an interesting book by a professor who has written a translation/compilation of the Aramaic version of the Gospel of John. This guy is a little out there, but I intend to wade through his muddy waters. He is a scholar and capable translator who pays close attention to original languages, an expert in both Greek and Syriac/Aramaic. He contends that the original gospel according to John (the Presbyter) is essentially a sharing of thought and detail that John recorded from Mary Magdelene, the close companion of Jesus. This John, himself would have been a little younger than Jesus and an original disciple of another John, --John the immerser, but once introduced to Jesus- he became a follower of the lamb.

I stumbled across this nutty professor when searching out info on that supposed missing Vatican library copy of the original gospels in Aramaic, that Eclipse Event Signs proposed. In doing so, I met online this particular professor- James David Audlin who I've been able to connect with online and we've been sharing thoughts. He's a quirky delight.

I first read a novel he had written, called "A Mirror Filled With Light" --it's not for the feint of heart. But after absorbing it, I wanted to hear his perspective on the gospel of John-- which is an academic, not an interpretive attempt to disseminate the Aramaic text-- the peshitta.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I’ve put it off long enough. It’s time to face the music. I’ll be wrestling (again) with my least favorite Ante-Nicene writer, Origen.

Origen founded the Christian School of Caesarea.

He was extremely intelligent, very self righteous, and kinda crazy.

Origen took a knife and castrated himself, because he read a verse that talks about "eunuchs".
(don't do that Reader).

He also created the idea of "soul sleep" that the "cult of Mary" evolved into "Purgatory".

Never consider this one as a "church father', but he is an interesting read.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Origen founded the Christian School of Caesarea.

He was extremely intelligent, very self righteous, and kinda crazy.

Origen took a knife and castrated himself, because he read a verse that talks about "eunuchs".
(don't do that Reader).

He also created the idea of "soul sleep" that the "cult of Mary" evolved into "Purgatory".

Never consider this one as a "church father', but he is an interesting read.

Nuts!

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
In the morning I’ll begin / resume the struggle by reading Letter Of Origen To Gregory Thaumaturgus. I’ll follow that up by reading Origen’s Commentary On Matthew.

He’s killing me.

Wanted for attempted murder : Origen.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Am currently re-reading Watchman Nee's Breaking of the Outer Man and Release of the Spirit. It confirms and explains certain things that are in scripture having to do with how and why it is the Lord's will that we undergo trials and tribulations in this life.

The natural strength of our outer man (flesh soul nature) has to be broken:

Ps. 88:8 ....I am shut up and cannot come forth"

Song of Solomon ".....a garden enclosed and a fountain shut up is my beloved."

Gen. 7 "....fountains of the great deep broken up.." (allowing that treasure in our earthen vessel to spring up and shoot forth)

Matt 21 "...And whosoever shall fall on this rock shall be broken..."

Job 41:25 "By reason of breakings they purify themselves."

Heb 12:1 "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness."

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Each of us who is born again... has a unique walk with the Lord.
Mine, starting in 1986, has been filled with unusual, and this continues.
So, i always enjoy reading a Life-Story that depicts an especially beautiful yet unusual, walk with Christ.

This book, was written by a Mystic who, was born again, and was terribly mistreated by the Catholic Cult.
They literally put her in a tiny stone cave, with a door on it, for 7 yrs, and kept her in starvation, for 7 yrs.
She never lost her faith.
It only became more purified. She had more visions, and ended up writing books like this one.

This is a 2-Volume Set.. this is book 2.
-

Jeanne.JPG

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And again, this is the life story, (somewhat) of a person who claimed they had an unusual encounter with the Holy Spirit realm..., and i make no judgement on that validity, i only know that my walk in the Faith has also been unusual.

Interesting story.
And there is a old B&W movie that somewhat depicts her life, and ive always really liked it.

"Song of Bernadette"..
-
Bernadette.JPG

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am currently re-reading Watchman Nee's Breaking of the Outer Man and Release of the Spirit. It confirms and explains certain things that are in scripture having to do with how and why it is the Lord's will that we undergo trials and tribulations in this life.

The natural strength of our outer man (flesh soul nature) has to be broken:

Ps. 88:8 ....I am shut up and cannot come forth"

Song of Solomon ".....a garden enclosed and a fountain shut up is my beloved."

Gen. 7 "....fountains of the great deep broken up.." (allowing that treasure in our earthen vessel to spring up and shoot forth)

Matt 21 "...And whosoever shall fall on this rock shall be broken..."

Job 41:25 "By reason of breakings they purify themselves."

Heb 12:1 "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness."
I know not of this watchmen lee . feel free to introduce us .
PS , if i ever bring a name and you just believe without question and dont test , i will be ashamed for you .
Please bring watchmen Nee and his doctrine unto me that i may test this teacher .
And you had better TEST any teacher i bring to you , HECK TEST EVEN MYSELF .
I have heard the name watchmen NEE . but i have never examined the man . Who is He .
Please see my questions as a GOOD THING .