What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Law And Its Logic: Where Atheists And Christians Agree" by Don Mackintosh
If I were G_d's adviser(see dunce cap), I would suggest everyone have two sets of male and female organs, one set for reproduction and the other set for pleasure. If someone gives another an STD or gets a divorce or misuses those organs, they will lose all the male and female organs. When a married couple has their allotted offspring, the reproductive set disappears. Before marriage, neither set functions.
1691445827822.png

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Popular Christology and the Great War, written by Henry Holub.

I hadn’t planned it but this book will complete the foundation for reading a book I’ve had in my personal library for a few years but have been somewhat reluctant to read. More on that shortly.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello! Can I ask here for help? I would like to know if there is any way to get a free (printed) volume of the 'Luther's Works' book series. Perhaps, there is some charity organization that could do that. I would so much like to study his theology, but there are just some several writings of his translated into my language (Russian), and buying books from abroad became either too expensive or just impossible in February 2022.
https://media.sabda.org/alkitab-8/LIBRARY/LUT_WRK2.PDF change volume number Index of /alkitab-8/LIBRARY/
google luther site:ccel.org
google http://www.copticsite.com/books/

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello! Can I ask here for help? I would like to know if there is any way to get a free (printed) volume of the 'Luther's Works' book series. Perhaps, there is some charity organization that could do that. I would so much like to study his theology, but there are just some several writings of his translated into my language (Russian), and buying books from abroad became either too expensive or just impossible in February 2022.

Free books in print are getting hard to come by. ccel.org might have digital. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The-Lost-Art-of-Thinking.jpg

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you know a teacher, sometimes using their teaching credentals can get free books in print. They need only contact the publisher. If you do a beg letter, write it by hand and use snail mail.

• Love

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The background reading / preparation for the book I’m currently reading:

(1) The Great And Holy War: How World War I Became a Religious Crusade;
(2) The Aryan Jesus: Christian Theologians and the Bible in Nazi Germany;
(3) Popular Christology And The Great War.

Gunther Bornkamm is mentioned and briefly discussed in The Aryan Jesus. He was recommended for a teaching position at the University of Jena in 1938. He wasn’t selected to fill position because he was known to sympathize with the Confessing Church (”the good guys,“ sort of), not with the German Christian movement (“the bad guys,“ for real - but accepted and given important leadership roles in the Church by “the good guys” after the war.) Bornkamm held teaching positions at the University of Konigsberg, University of Gottingen, and Heidelberg University. He was also a pastor at Munster and at Dortmund. In 1943 he was drafted into the Wehrmacht.

I’m currently reading his book, Jesus of Nazareth. It was published in 1956, eleven years after the defeat of Nazi Germany.

• Love

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bornkamm mentioned the Third Reich but had nothing to say about an Aryan Jesus. For him, Jesus is truly a Jew.

I’m currently reading Dark Future, written by Glenn Beck, with Justin Haskins.

I intend to get back to the Church Fathers after completing it.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading The Epistle of Barnabas, written by an unknown author in the late 1st century or early 2nd century AD.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Epistles On The Arian Heresy And The Deposition of Arius, written by Alexander of Alexandria.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
While I was at it, I also read On The Trinity, written by Gregory Thaumaturgus (AKA Gregory of Neocaesarea).

I might as well go ahead and spend some more time with Gregory. I’m currently reading The Oration and Panegyric Addressed To Origen.

Any Gregory Thaumaturgus readers in the house?

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It occurs to me that I’m - subconsciously, I suppose - bracketing Origen. First was his teacher, Clement of Alexandria; now, with one of his students, Gregory Thaumaturgus.

This evening I’ll read A Declaration of Faith, written by Gregory Thaumaturgus (it’s very short) and then begin reading Twelve Topics On The Faith, which is considered to be doubtful or spurious (it’s not very long.)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Read Twelve Topics On The Faith and another doubtful work titled A Sectional Confession Of The Faith by Gregory Thaumaturgus (AKA Gregory “The Wonder Worker”) today.

I’m currently reading a genuine work of Gregory’s titled A Metaphrase Of The Book Of Ecclesiastes. When I complete it I’ll read one more of his genuine works - Canonical Epistle - and then decide where to go from there.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Four dubious or spurious writings of Gregory remain. Three of them aren’t long and something can be learned from all of them even if they aren’t genuine works of his. I might as well read them before turning to another writer.

1. On The Subject Of The Soul; and
2. Four Homilies; and
3. On All The Saints; and
4. On The Gospel According To Matthew, which is just a fragment.

Reactions: MatthewG