What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know not of this watchmen lee . feel free to introduce us .
PS , if i ever bring a name and you just believe without question and dont test , i will be ashamed for you .
Please bring watchmen Nee and his doctrine unto me that i may test this teacher .
And you had better TEST any teacher i bring to you , HECK TEST EVEN MYSELF .
I have heard the name watchmen NEE . but i have never examined the man . Who is He .
Please see my questions as a GOOD THING .
Hi brother, I think there is information about Watchman Nee on the internet if you want to research the man and his teachings further, but according to the book cover he became a believer in the underground church in China in 1920 and subsequently was imprisoned for his faith from 1952 to 1972 until his death in prison. I had heard of him years ago, though I'm not familiar with all of his teachings and doctrine, so can't speak beyond this particular book.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Usually, "The back of My Eyelids," after I have started reading a book, and boy, what stories of great endeavours and horrors do I see and hear.

Reactions: The Learner

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Far greater joy to just stick in the bible . many are the errors of men , BUT EVERY WORD IN THE BIBLE , IS TRUTH .
Now raise those hands and praise the LORD .
Scripture and cosmology
A teacher for all generation
Between text and text
Congress volume OSLO 1998
Form and intertextuality in prophetic and apocalyptic literature
Hebrew bible, greek bible and qumran: collected essays
History and exegesis: new testament essays
In the footsteps of sherlock holmes
Intertextuality and the bible [Semeia]
Intertextuality and the reading of midrash
Reading prophetic books
The dead sea scrolls and the bible
the body keeps the score

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who was origen . And what did he teach that was false . Always remember , many are the errors of men
yet in the bible EVERY WORD IS TRUTH and for our good .
God had created the souls of all the intelligent beings.
Origen is the first to quote Romans 5:12–21, rejecting the existence of a sinful state inherited from Adam. To Origen, Adam's sin sets an example that all humanity partakes in, but is not inherently born into.
Subordinationism
Googled origen teachings

My wife will kick me off soon.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am currently re-reading Watchman Nee's Breaking of the Outer Man and Release of the Spirit. It confirms and explains certain things that are in scripture having to do with how and why it is the Lord's will that we undergo trials and tribulations in this life.

The natural strength of our outer man (flesh soul nature) has to be broken:

Ps. 88:8 ....I am shut up and cannot come forth"

Song of Solomon ".....a garden enclosed and a fountain shut up is my beloved."

Gen. 7 "....fountains of the great deep broken up.." (allowing that treasure in our earthen vessel to spring up and shoot forth)

Matt 21 "...And whosoever shall fall on this rock shall be broken..."

Job 41:25 "By reason of breakings they purify themselves."

Heb 12:1 "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness."
What do you know about Mingling in his works? He has been used by the Local Church sect( some call them a cult). google Witness lee for more information.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am currently re-reading Watchman Nee's Breaking of the Outer Man and Release of the Spirit. It confirms and explains certain things that are in scripture having to do with how and why it is the Lord's will that we undergo trials and tribulations in this life.

The natural strength of our outer man (flesh soul nature) has to be broken:

Ps. 88:8 ....I am shut up and cannot come forth"

Song of Solomon ".....a garden enclosed and a fountain shut up is my beloved."

Gen. 7 "....fountains of the great deep broken up.." (allowing that treasure in our earthen vessel to spring up and shoot forth)

Matt 21 "...And whosoever shall fall on this rock shall be broken..."

Job 41:25 "By reason of breakings they purify themselves."

Heb 12:1 "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness."
Witness Lee has taught
Experiencing the Mingling of God with Man for the Oneness of the Body of ChristCWWL, 1963, vol. 1LifeWitness Lee
Fellowshipping with the Lord for the Mingling of God with ManCWWL, 1961–1962, vol. 3LifeWitness Lee
The Mingling of God and Man and the Principle of ResurrectionCWWL, 1955, vol. 4Witness Lee
The Mingling of God and Man and the Proper Way for the Church to Grow, Function, and Be Built UpCWWL, 1975–1976, vol. 2Witness Lee
The Practical Way to Live in the Mingling of God with ManCWWL, 1963, vol. 1Life

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each of us who is born again... has a unique walk with the Lord.
Mine, starting in 1986, has been filled with unusual, and this continues.
So, i always enjoy reading a Life-Story that depicts an especially beautiful yet unusual, walk with Christ.

This book, was written by a Mystic who, was born again, and was terribly mistreated by the Catholic Cult.
They literally put her in a tiny stone cave, with a door on it, for 7 yrs, and kept her in starvation, for 7 yrs.
She never lost her faith.
It only became more purified. She had more visions, and ended up writing books like this one.

This is a 2-Volume Set.. this is book 2.
-

View attachment 36714
how do these line up with what you know?

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Witness Lee has taught
Experiencing the Mingling of God with Man for the Oneness of the Body of ChristCWWL, 1963, vol. 1LifeWitness Lee
Fellowshipping with the Lord for the Mingling of God with ManCWWL, 1961–1962, vol. 3LifeWitness Lee
The Mingling of God and Man and the Principle of ResurrectionCWWL, 1955, vol. 4Witness Lee
The Mingling of God and Man and the Proper Way for the Church to Grow, Function, and Be Built UpCWWL, 1975–1976, vol. 2Witness Lee
The Practical Way to Live in the Mingling of God with ManCWWL, 1963, vol. 1Life
I'm not familiar with Witness Lee or his teachings. Would you like to discuss it a bit? Had a quick look at what seems to be his main point regarding "mingling of God with man", which is that the self isn't annihilated. Sounds about right I think - it's more about the self being subdued (dying so to speak - ie, rendered inert and submitted to God) and transformed. Jesus said if we try to save our life (psuche/soul) we will lose it, but if we lose it for His sake we will keep it unto eternal life. It's about the saving of the soul, not the annihilation of it. When the bible speaks about death in this sense, eg, death of the old man, I believe it is metaphorical. The corn of wheat dying in the ground to produce a crop from what is within it (Christ in us), is metaphorical...what happens is that the husk of that seed is broken open and the corn of wheat is transformed into a life giving, fruit producing plant. The old corn of wheat is thus considered dead and the new plant emerges.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading* Oration On The Palms, written by Methodius.

* Because Origen is a bear

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Methodius wasn’t given much time and attention by my professors when I was a student. I really enjoyed reading Oration On The Palms. Not being in any hurry to get back to Origen, I’m staying with Methodius for a while and currently reading Oration Concerning Simeon And Anna.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Discourse On The Resurrection, written by Methodius.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with Witness Lee or his teachings. Would you like to discuss it a bit? Had a quick look at what seems to be his main point regarding "mingling of God with man", which is that the self isn't annihilated. Sounds about right I think - it's more about the self being subdued (dying so to speak - ie, rendered inert and submitted to God) and transformed. Jesus said if we try to save our life (psuche/soul) we will lose it, but if we lose it for His sake we will keep it unto eternal life. It's about the saving of the soul, not the annihilation of it. When the bible speaks about death in this sense, eg, death of the old man, I believe it is metaphorical. The corn of wheat dying in the ground to produce a crop from what is within it (Christ in us), is metaphorical...what happens is that the husk of that seed is broken open and the corn of wheat is transformed into a life giving, fruit producing plant. The old corn of wheat is thus considered dead and the new plant emerges.
"God’s unique purpose is really to just mingle Himself with us so that He becomes our life, our nature, and our content, and we become His corporate expression. ... In the Gospels we see the Head, Christ, who is the mingling of God and man, and in Acts we see the enlargement of Christ, the enlargement of the mingling of God with man. The disciples were the continuation of Jesus Christ, and even though they were men, they were mingled with God to the point that it was difficult to distinguish whether it is God or man living and acting." Body of Christ is the Enlargement of the Mingling of God with man

In Lee's early writings, he taught that we become God like Jesus. Much later after being confronted by apologetists, his writings became closer to II Peter 1.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I'm glad that man was humble and teachable enough to change his mind on that last statement. More than we see with most, who only keep getting worse instead of learning and growing in the right direction.

Isa 43:10

Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

His point that he was making with the term "mingling" seems to have been that we are not annihilated as a being and person when God comes to dwell in us by His Spirit. (It's possible also that some nuance got lost in translating the Chinese word into the English, I don't know.) And it’s possible he might have been trying to correct a mistaken belief that was trying to spring up…people can so easily get hold of the wrong end of the stick on things, even leading to cults, and the devil is always attempting to deceive and do damage.

There are times when it can be hard to know where "I" begin and end when the Lord is manifesting a work through our vessel or in prayer. We can sort of lose sight of ourselves in being taken up into God, which is a good thing……….but we don’t seem to lose our awareness in general in being aware of God and what He is doing or saying, and experiencing the joy of blessing in His presence. “I have been crucified with Christ” is in an allegorical sense I believe, rather than literal. Our source of life is no longer in our mortal carnal spiritually dead “selves”, but in Jesus, in His Spirit…partaking of His spiritual, immortal, eternal life.

Phl 2:13

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Gal 2:20

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

1Co 6:16-17

What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

The allegory of union of a man and woman joins them as one, but they are still two people. I think there is a mystery to our union with Christ similar to the mystery of the Three being one. But for me, I avoid getting into actual arguing about things like this because they are hard for anyone to grasp, and can be unnecessarily divisive.

And sorry to be long winded, but just one last point that comes to mind.....I think it's fine to use our own words and allegories in trying to help others understand something, but I believe we can go off track or miss the mark if we start to overuse and rely on our own words and allegories rather than the words and allegories that we have been given in scripture.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading The Epistle of Theonas, Bishop of Alexandria, To Lucianus, the Chief Chamberlain. It’s a short letter, similar in length to 1 John, and I’ve not ever read it before.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is the main book I'm feeding on and reading daily.

I'm reading the best book ever written on the Resurrection by Licona 718 pages. The Resurrection of Jesus. A must have and in my top 10 books list.

If Christ is not Risen from the dead you are still dead in your sins and your faith is in vain declares Paul in 1 Corinthians 15. Its the centerpiece of the Gospel. Its what the Apostles preached throughout the book of Acts.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m reading now Epistle Against Paul of Samosata, written by Malchion.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading book 1 (of 7) from Against The Pagans, written by Arnobius of Sicca.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently read book 2 from Against The Pagans. Arnobius made some arguments in book 1 which Christians today probably wouldn’t, and wouldn’t be comfortable with.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Book 2 contains more arguments against paganism which most Christians today wouldn’t make. I’m currently reading book 3 from Against The Pagans.

This particular work wasn’t required reading when I was a student. I suspect I know why, and it isn’t what I thought it probably was when I was a student.