What can I trust most in the translations of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
hi
smile.gif
I was reading a post, and I read that most of the Bible translations are corrupted. Is NKJV an okay translation of the Bible? I know that it is better in Hebrew and Greek, but I can't read those languages, so I have to have an English one. What English translation of the Bible is most accurate, and what are parts in the Bible that I can trust 100% in the translations?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Morning_Joy;34583)
hi
smile.gif
I was reading a post, and I read that most of the Bible translations are corrupted. Is NKJV an okay translation of the Bible? I know that it is better in Hebrew and Greek, but I can't read those languages, so I have to have an English one. What English translation of the Bible is most accurate, and what are parts in the Bible that I can trust 100% in the translations?
Please go read the topic that's under my sig for more detailed answer. Actually it's the Truth. However please feel free to make a comment if thou so desire.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
KJV has been proven to be the most trustworthy Bible in the English language.I read the NKJV, as it is the same, but outfitted for our generation's language. They replaced the old-English language.If you want the purest translations, learn Greek and Hebrew.
wink.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Morning_Joy;34596)
oh okaybut NKJV is still good, right?
There are some places that they agreed with NIV, NASV, GNT, NLT etc. In short The NKJV, also uses The Alexandrian Texts It's not very helpful.It clearly reminds me ofII Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?Jeremiah 23:36 - And the burden of the LORD shall ye mention no more: for every man's word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God.So no it is not reliable if one is truly seeking Truth.And don't say I believe that the KJV is the only inspired English Bible by God, but rather the last English Bible that is inspired by God.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
okaynope, I just want a Bible that I can rely on.what are some trustworthy sections in the NKJV?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Morning_Joy;34600)
okaynope, I just want a Bible that I can rely on.what are some trustworthy sections in the NKJV?
This maybe a bit damaging...it is very hard, probably impossible to tell you where they're trustworthy in the sections without comparing KJV to a modern bible...It so easy to know a lie by comparing a KJV and a NKJV. But the fact is, I can't even read a chapter of a modern version, it was too damaging to me...Jag

Morning_Joy

Jan 26, 2008
okayI guess I know what the Bible means by people perverting God's word now...
sad.gif
it's so confusing. And to think that some of the stuff I read may be a lie
sad.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(alaskadrifter;34610)
How is the KJV more accurate? They are based off later copies than newer versions. The more modern versions are based off of older more accurate texts that are closer to the original.
You are so far off base. How can the modern versions be the most accurate if they clearly attack Lord Yahshua / Jesus Christ? And removes bible verses?JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
Some people have apparently been reading the propaganda books by the King James Only crowd: Who by the Holy Spirit, through the mouth of our father David Thy Servant, didst say, WHY DID THE GENTILES RAGE, AND THE PEOPLES DEVISE FUTILE THINGS?" (Acts 4:25 NASB) "Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?" (Acts 4:25 KJV) The King James Version is “attacking“ the doctrine of Holy Spirit inspiration. It must be corrupted! Of course I’m being sarcastic, this doctrine is covered elsewhere, and we don’t know which manuscripts added or subtracted from the original."To the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now forever. Amen." (Jude 25 NASB) "To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." (Jude 25 KJV) The KJV removed “through Jesus Christ our Lord” The translators must have been inspired by Satan to corrupt the word of God! Of course again I'm being sarcastic, but this is the type of propaganda that King James Onlyists use on gullible people who don't check the facts for themselves. You can easily "prove" one translation is better than another by the selective verse comparison game that they like to play. It is a known fact that there are many minor mistranslations and religious biases in the King James Version just as there are in any translation. A "translation" into English or any other language , is the inspired Word Of God to the extent that it properly translates the languages in which the Scriptures were first written. The whole PURPOSE for having a Bible translation, the very reason for its existence, is to convey in words which people understand the meaning of words (in the Greek and Hebrew originals) which people do not understand. The degree to which an English Bible translation fails to accurately, clearly, and fully convey the meaning and content of the originals, to that degree it fails to attain to its very reason for existence. The proper understanding of the doctrine of inspiration is that no translation is inspired, but are someone’s attempt to provide his or her best understanding of the original Greek and Hebrew. If the KJV is the only "infallible" Bible, then no one who lived before 1611 had access to it. Any English speaking person who seeks after truth should have several reputable translations, along with concordances, Bible dictionaries, Interlinear Bibles, etc., because all of our English translations fall short in certain regards. God never promised us a perfect English translation, so we need to be extra diligent. False doctrines aren’t caused by bible translations, but rather by the deceitfulness of men’s hearts. Dishonest people are drawn toward poor translations, and those seeking truth will find it.The more literal the translation, generally the less bias it has from its translators. The NASB is the most literal, and the King James is pretty close, as well as the Literal Translation by Jay Green. The Message is probably the most paraphrased and therefore one of the worst. The main point however is that the original manuscripts are in Greek and Hebrew and all translations fail to convey the message to varying degrees, but most literal translations say essentially the same thing with minor variances, so any of them are generally fine but should be checked against the Greek and Hebrew on controversial issues.SealedEternal

Reactions: Stan B

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
(DrBubbaLove;34742)
The one you will read is the best one for you.
That pretty much sums it up, although there are a few that are pretty poorly done and should be avoided. Most of the more literal translations say essentially the same thing with minor variances that are fairly insignificant. The whole issue of families of manuscripts is also contrived since the differences are so minute and don't effect a single doctrine. God obviously had the forsight to integrate every important piece of information into numerous places so that any variation caused by human error would have no effect on the whole. The language in the King James Bible is not the common English that most people are familiar with today, so for many people it is not the best choice. A translation that itself requires translation defeats the whole purpose of its existence. The Best Bible for each of us is the one that best conveys the original intent of the Hebrew and Greek in language that we most clearly understand. For me that is not the King James Version so I most often use the New American Standard Bible. I also like Jay P. Green's translations as well, and for people who have a fear of the Westcott Hort manuscripts, he uses only Erasmus's manuscripts, unlike the King James translators that did not limit themselves to them despite what the KJO's would have us believe.SealedEternal

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
I'm going to have to disagree with Jag. The King James Version is not the most accurate, and most scholars today find it to be inaccurate enough such that it is not recommended for doctorate-level exegetical work. Jag, you claim that other versions "attack Jesus Christ," which I am going to assume stems from some verses which read differently in the NSV than in the KJV. But this begs the question - the KJV was obviously not the original Bible; it was based on old Greek/Hebrew manuscripts. Surely you'll acknowledge that much.The manuscripts that we can base the NSV off of are older, more authentic manuscripts that were not available to the writers of the KJV Bible (the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example). You will agree with me that the manuscripts themselves are more accurate and authentic than the KJV Bible, right? If that's the case, then any of the elements of the KJV Bible that you feel are being "attacked" are being rightfully attacked, because these elements are inaccuracies that stem from inferior manuscripts.Do you see? You can't automatically accept the KJV as the standard and then say other versions are inferior because they are different from the KJV. You should accept as standard the text which holds most closely to the original Greek/Hebrew, and since the NSV and other more recent versions are based on older texts that weren't available to the writers of the KJV, they are more accurate.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lunar;34828)
I'm going to have to disagree with Jag. The King James Version is not the most accurate, and most scholars today find it to be inaccurate enough such that it is not recommended for doctorate-level exegetical work. Jag, you claim that other versions "attack Jesus Christ," which I am going to assume stems from some verses which read differently in the NSV than in the KJV. But this begs the question - the KJV was obviously not the original Bible; it was based on old Greek/Hebrew manuscripts. Surely you'll acknowledge that much.The manuscripts that we can base the NSV off of are older, more authentic manuscripts that were not available to the writers of the KJV Bible. You will agree with me that the manuscripts themselves are more accurate than the KJV Bible, right? If that's the case, then any of the elements of the KJV Bible that you feel are being "attacked" are being rightfully attacked, because these elements are inaccuracies that stem from inferior manuscripts.Do you see? You can't automatically accept the KJV as the standard and then say other versions are inferior because they are different from the KJV. You should accept as standard the text which holds most closely to the original Greek/Hebrew, and since the NSV and other more recent versions are based on older texts that weren't available to the writers of the KJV, they are more accurate.
Tell me then, if modern versions is most accurate, why did they remove bible verses of what Christ said, that which is important...why did they make Christ a liar? Let me pull a clear deceiving bible verse...Psalm 78:36 NASB - But they deceived Him with their mouthAnd lied to Him with their tongue.Can God ever be deceived? Can He be fooled by a human?JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(thesuperjag;34829)
Tell me then, if modern versions is most accurate, why did they remove bible verses of what Christ said, that which is important...
The question you should be asking is not whether they were removed from the KJV, but whether they were removed from the Greek/Hebrew. Like I said, you cannot deny that the original is more authentic than the KJV.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lunar;34832)
The question you should be asking is not whether they were removed from the KJV, but whether they were removed from the Greek/Hebrew. Like I said, you cannot deny that the original is more authentic than the KJV.
I'll trust the Byzantine Texts over the Alexandrian Texts anyday because the Byzantine Texts is received by EVERYONE. The Alexandrian Texts loves to be kept a "secret."JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(thesuperjag;34834)
I'll trust the Byzantine Texts over the Alexandrian Texts anyday because the Byzantine Texts is received by EVERYONE. The Alexandrian Texts loves to be kept a "secret."
I have no idea what you mean.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lunar;34837)
(thesuperjag;34834)
I'll trust the Byzantine Texts over the Alexandrian Texts anyday because the Byzantine Texts is received by EVERYONE. The Alexandrian Texts loves to be kept a "secret."
I have no idea what you mean.It is just that...Isaiah 5:20 - Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!II Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(thesuperjag;34877)
It is just that...Isaiah 5:20 - Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!II Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
As best I can tell, those passages have absolutely nothing to do with verifying your claims.