How to pronounce YHWH

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
During the Second Temple period (535 b.c. to 70 a.d.), Michael Marlowe:

it is said that the Name was spoken only by priests in the Temple. 3
The first Greek translations of the Hebrew books, collectively known as the Septuagint, reflect this custom in various ways. In some ancient manuscripts of the Greek version the tetragrammaton is neither translated nor transliterated, but given in Hebrew characters (without vowels). This effectively hides the pronunciation from those who are not already familiar with it. Jerome mentions that he had seen such manuscripts in his day. 4 In some manuscripts a blank space is left where the Name would appear.
Wiki:

Rabbinic Judaism teaches that the name is forbidden to all except the High Priest of Israel, who should only speak it in the Holy of Holies of the Temple in Jerusalem on Yom Kippur. He then pronounces the name "just as it is written."[26] As each blessing was made, the people in the courtyard were to prostrate themselves completely as they heard it spoken aloud. As the Temple has not been rebuilt since its destruction in 70, most modern Jews never pronounce YHWH but instead read Adonai ("My Lord") during prayer and while reading the Torah and as HaShem ("The Name") at other times.[27][28] Similarly, the Vulgate used Dominus ("The Lord") and most English translations of the Bible write "the LORD" for YHWH and "the LORD God", "the LORD God" or "the Sovereign LORD" for Adonai YHWH instead of transcribing the name.
Centuries later, Wiki:

Vowel and cantillation marks were added to the older consonantal layer of the Bible between 600 CE and the beginning of the 10th century.[24][nb 1] The scholars who preserved the pronunciation of the Bibles were known as the Masoretes.
The Masoretes were guessing when they added vowel marks to the tetragrammaton.

More centuries later, King James Bible translated it as "Jehovah".

Today, Wiki:

the scholarly consensus is that the original pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was Yahweh
I would follow the ancient Israelite practice. I would not write or say "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" except in the academic/educational contexts. I would write either "the LORD" or "YHWH".

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a Pharisee,named Nehemiah Gordon, who has researched this, and said that the earliest pronunciation he could find was Yehovah.

I call Him Father or the Lord.

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know, as I netither speak ancient Hebrew nor am I pretentious enough to try, nor am I seeking brownie points. I call Him God, Lord or Heavenly Father and He still answers my prayers.

When the first disciples went out into the world when they were supernaturally speaking in other native languages (tongues)...

What the hearers heard? Was in their own language!

Not always hearing like the original pronunciations in Hebrew or Greek.

I knew Finnish people who from their Bibles pronounced the name of Jesus different than we do..
Same for all foreign languages.

Yet some here want to argue over the original pronunciation as being the only way to be correct?

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the first disciples went out into the world when they were supernaturally speaking in other native languages (tongues)...

What the hearers heard? Was in their own language!

Not always hearing like the original pronunciations in Hebrew or Greek.

I knew Finnish people who from their Bibles pronounced the name of Jesus different than we do..
Same for all foreign languages.

Yet some here want to argue over the original pronunciation as being the only way to be correct?
I have to believe if it were that important the Lord would've said so in scripture.

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to believe if it were that important the Lord would've said so in scripture.
Yes..

He has told us all what we need to know, sometimes being hidden and buried within the Scriptures....

We just have to walk in God's grace to find it.

My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they
may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know
the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom
and knowledge." Colossians 2:2-3​

grace and peace ...............

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave us one Name by which we must be saved, and we know what that Name is, from the Greek, Iesous, or in transliteration, Jesus.

Much love!

Yes.. The same one name which can be pronounced differently in different languages...

Reactions: Cassandra

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.. The same one name which can be pronounced differently in different languages...
Like my friends at work sometimes call me Marco, I don't have a problem with that.

Much love!

Reactions: GeneZ

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, in Exodus 3:13-14 Yahweh (Jehovah in English) was the name given to Moses when he asked the name of the God who was going to liberate the Israelites.

”But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:

“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Yahweh (Jehovah) the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”

If we read this passage from the Jewish Tanakh, we see that the divine name is there in the text……but pause for a moment and consider the background to this scripture….

Moses had fled Egypt 40 years earlier after killing an Egyptian slave driver who was mistreating one of his kinsman (a capital offense)…..so the people asking the question of Moses “what is his name” may well have been testing him out because they knew who Jehovah was, but did he? Did he come in the name of their God?

The meaning of God’s name is also in question since most translations render “I Am” as the meaning of God’s name….but again, the Jews knew the meaning of his name, but now there was a new facet to it….not what he was, or that he exists, (they already knew him as Jacob’s descendants) but what he would “become” in order to fulfill his promises to them, and his prophesies about them, with regard to their forefather, Jacob.

Then consider the last sentence in his reply….”This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”…..
The Jewish Tanakh renders that as….
“This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.”
So the Jews had no divine right to eliminate God’s name from their speech because to “mention” something is to speak about it…..and this was for all generations to come…..did the Jews ever obey their God continually? Should we also adopt their disobedience?

Since all language is created by God, then he knows his name in all languages…..it makes no sense to quibble about the name of God in English, and then to claim that Jesus is God, but using his name in English….why the double standard?

Romans 10:13-14…”For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?”

Who is the “Lord” referred to here? Paul was quoting Joel 2:32 which says “And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved”.
Is the whole of Christendom calling on the name of one who is not Jehovah? Are they calling upon the wrong name? Salvation is involved here….

When Gentiles were accepted into the congregation, Peter wrote….
”Symʹe·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.”
The Jews were already identified with their God Jehovah, so all the first Christians knew who he was but they had lost ability to know how to say his name…..so Jesus said at John 17:25

“Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you, but I know you, and these have come to know that you sent me. 26 I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

He also began the Lord’s Prayer with “hallowed be thy name”…..so to God and to Jesus, God’s illustrious name is who he is, and encompasses all that he has done, is doing and will do, in the future.

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God's name is Yahavah
Let proposition P1 = God's name is Yahavah.
P2 = God's name is not Yahavah.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let proposition P1 = God's name is Yahavah.
P2 = God's name is not Yahavah.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.
Watch the YouTube videos first, then you might say P1= 10, Ps = 0. :watching and waiting: :)

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During the Second Temple period (535 b.c. to 70 a.d.), Michael Marlowe:

Wiki:

Centuries later, Wiki:

The Masoretes were guessing when they added vowel marks to the tetragrammaton.

More centuries later, King James Bible translated it as "Jehovah".

Today, Wiki:

I would follow the ancient Israelite practice. I would not write or say "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" except in the academic/educational contexts. I would write either "the LORD" or "YHWH".

Here is a nearly two-minute video explaining how to pronounce YHWH, how not to pronounce YHWH, and why YHWH is pronounced the way it is. Very informative:

• Wow
Reactions: The Learner