What constitutes the Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, @bbyrd009,

I am not doctrine-free, no. So, is the suggested proposal no longer valid? :)
(Actually, yes, I am well and truly married!) - for nearly 50 years no less!!

:)
My marriage has only lasted 45 years thus far. But we are not yet finished with each other. Give God the glory! I am also not doctrine free.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@kepha31
@BreadOfLife

Thank you both. There is no need for defensive tactics, accusation or insult. The Biblical record is clear concerning the role of Peter, and of Paul, and of all those called, chosen and Divinely equipped for God's service. I praise God for the part they played, and the teaching they have left behind for our learning by the inspiration of God.

May God be praised!

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

This subject concerning what constitutes the Church deserves more than the doctrinal stance of one faction warring against another. The Church is above these man-made divisions.

It is a company called out and secured by God the Father, in Christ Jesus the Son: supported and equipped by God the Holy Spirit. It is living testament to the wondrous grace of God, and to the power of the resurrection.

In Christ Jesus our Lord
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII and bbyrd009

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@kepha31
@BreadOfLife

Thank you both. There is no need for defensive tactics, accusation or insult. The Biblical record is clear concerning the role of Peter, and of Paul, and of all those called, chosen and Divinely equipped for God's service. I praise God for the part they played, and the teaching they have left behind for our learning by the inspiration of God.

May God be praised!

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head
Chris
There are no "defensive" tactics, accusation or insults.
Just an observation that you're trying to ignore the fact that the discussion about Peter being the Rock is a matter of linguistics - because you are unprepared to address it.

You are right about ONE Thing: The Biblical record is indeed clear about Peter's role.
Unfortunately, you have chosen to reject it. Good luck with that . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually church has nothing to do with Godm,

for those who care read this

Christ's Ekklesia and The Church Compared
This article incorrectly claims that there are "many Churches" out there. This is completely false.
Jesus established only ONE Church - and everything else is a splinter of the perpetually-splintering system of Protestantism.
These are not "churches" in the full sense of the word. They are ecclesial communities in search of a home.

The author of this woefully-ignorant article tries to pit "Ekklesia" and "Church" against each other - when they are simply two different linguistic expressions of the SAME thing.

And, contrary to your Scripturally-bankrupt statement that the Church has nothing to do with God - The Scriptures tell a very different story . . .
- Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23). There is NO other.
- Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).
- Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
- The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
- The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
- Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).
- Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).

Jesus is GOD - and He and His Church are ONE.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
No - this is a linguistic matter.
YOUR problem is that when you are presented with the linguistic facts - you simply turn a blind eye and ignore them.

Good luck with that.
imagine how we feel lol--the ones who do not follow earthly kings. no offense, i mean, do what you like. i'm not condemning you; you are condemning me
@BreadOfLife

Thank you for the extra reading.

You mention 'kepha', the Aramaic word translated, 'Cephas' in John 1:42: It is H03710 (Strongs No) and is used by the Holy Spirit in two places in the Old Testament: in Job 30:6 and in Jeremiah 4:29. In both cases the context refers to the finding of a hiding place among the rocks. The word kepha meaning a hollow rock, therefore suitable for hiding among, being light and insubstantial.

Peter was so called not because of firmness of character, but the reverse. Peter was an Elder in the Church (1Peter 5:1), and he was the Apostle who, of all others, teaches so clearly that Christ is the Rock on which His church was built.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
nice. I don't find any condemnation of Cephas here, until one tries to stand on him; and we can perceive that many hide in him. Beautifully hidden, right in plain sight. Of course we should not expect anyone who accepts an earthly mediator to agree; but then that is not Christian anyway right.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Thank you both. There is no need for defensive tactics, accusation or insult.
except in the Hegelian Dialectic that they are bound to, yes
This subject concerning what constitutes the Church deserves more than the doctrinal stance of one faction warring against another.
HD defined

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There are no "defensive" tactics, accusation or insults.
BezJm8gCIAEpVRS.jpg:large

Reactions: FHII

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe we should go over Protestant terms that are not found anywhere in the Old or New Testament. "Hollow rock". That's bizarre. "You are Peter and upon this hollow rock I will build my Church." That makes no sense. And where in scripture does Jesus mix his metaphors?

In my time I have been all kinds of Protestant :)
Brethren, Methodist, Church of England, Charismatic, Pentecostal, Free Church, No Church....and I have NEVER ever heard of the phrase "Hollow Rock".
God to Moses in EXODUS 33 “And it shall come to pass, while My glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with My hand while I pass by:”
But never "Hollow Rock" it makes no sense.
Did someone in this thread mention it? o_O

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In my time I have been all kinds of Protestant :)
Brethren, Methodist, Church of England, Charismatic, Pentecostal, Free Church, No Church....and I have NEVER ever heard of the phrase "Hollow Rock".
God to Moses in EXODUS 33 “And it shall come to pass, while My glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with My hand while I pass by:”
But never "Hollow Rock" it makes no sense.
Did someone in this thread mention it? o_O

Q: 'Did someone in this thread mention it?

I did, @"By Grace". In reply #38.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This article incorrectly claims that there are "many Churches" out there. This is completely false.
Jesus established only ONE Church - and everything else is a splinter of the perpetually-splintering system of Protestantism.
These are not "churches" in the full sense of the word. They are ecclesial communities in search of a home.

The author of this woefully-ignorant article tries to pit "Ekklesia" and "Church" against each other - when they are simply two different linguistic expressions of the SAME thing.

And, contrary to your Scripturally-bankrupt statement that the Church has nothing to do with God - The Scriptures tell a very different story . . .
- Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23). There is NO other.
- Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).
- Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
- The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
- The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
- Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).
- Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).

Jesus is GOD - and He and His Church are ONE.
Yes you insist your church that rapes children is teh Lords. i doubt He would ever agree with you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Hollow Rock".
God to Moses in EXODUS 33 “And it shall come to pass, while My glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a cleft of the rock,
same thing imo. Hollow rocks are not being proposed as evil or anything, per se iow. But it does provide a diff way to perceive. The rock is solid, and the rock is also hollow. Welcome to Torah! :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes you insist your church that rapes children is teh Lords. i doubt He would ever agree with you.
tbh imo you don't have to go there, as we know that Prot "churches" are no less so, right. The contrast of ecclesia and pneumaticos oikos is in the DRB too, i am sure, whether BoL wants to read it or not
1 Peter 2:5 Lexicon: you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.