What constitutes the Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You mention 'kepha', the Aramaic word translated, 'Cephas' in John 1:42: It is H03710 (Strongs No) and is used by the Holy Spirit in two places in the Old Testament: in Job 30:6 and in Jeremiah 4:29. In both cases the context refers to the finding of a hiding place among the rocks. The word kepha meaning a hollow rock, therefore suitable for hiding among, being light and insubstantial.
200.gif

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
well, at least unless one changes their mind, right
Hello there, @bbyrd009,

We all come from different walks of life, and have been influenced along the way by the doctrines of a variety of differing denominations, it is no wonder that we see things differently. So, a change of mind is not a bad thing, if that change of mind is the result of the operation of the Holy Spirit, opening our minds to the truth revealed in His word, untarnished by doctrinal influences.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour.
Chris

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We all come from different walks of life, and have been influenced along the way by the doctrines of a variety of differing denominations, it is no wonder that we see things differently. So, a change of mind is not a bad thing, if that change of mind is the result of the operation of the Holy Spirit, opening our minds to the truth revealed in His word, untarnished by doctrinal influences.
ah, we see something differently? Bc i also meant that @ "change their mind," maybe i implied something else tho

are you doctrine-free then? :)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
ah, we see something differently? Bc i also meant that @ "change their mind," maybe i implied something else tho

are you doctrine-free then? :)

lol, and if so, are you married? :D

Hi, @bbyrd009,

I am not doctrine-free, no. So, is the suggested proposal no longer valid? :)
(Actually, yes, I am well and truly married!) - for nearly 50 years no less!!

:)

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@BreadOfLife

Thank you for the extra reading.

You mention 'kepha', the Aramaic word translated, 'Cephas' in John 1:42: It is H03710 (Strongs No) and is used by the Holy Spirit in two places in the Old Testament: in Job 30:6 and in Jeremiah 4:29. In both cases the context refers to the finding of a hiding place among the rocks. The word kepha meaning a hollow rock, therefore suitable for hiding among, being light and insubstantial.
Maybe we should go over Protestant terms that are not found anywhere in the Old or New Testament. "Hollow rock". That's bizarre. "You are Peter and upon this hollow rock I will build my Church." That makes no sense. And where in scripture does Jesus mix his metaphors?
Job 30:6 So that they dwell in dreadful valleys, In holes of the earth and of the rocks.
This has nothing to do with anything.
Peter was so called not because of firmness of character, but the reverse. Peter was an Elder in the Church (1Peter 5:1), and he was the Apostle who, of all others, teaches so clearly that Christ is the Rock on which His church was built.
You are fast forwarding by about 3 decades. Peter never taught that, it's not in any of his letters because it was never necessary. Everyone knows that Jesus is head of the Church, but at the same time Jesus conferred this distinction as ROCK on an earthly human person, but you haven't the faith to believe that. You make a false dichotomy. Or maybe you don't believe Jesus had any authority to make Peter head of all the Apostles, because you have little faith. Instead, you settle for second rate reformist opinions and man made traditions and act like you have the truth because you have a Bible and an opinion. The Bible teaches clearly that Peter is the Rock on which His church was built, the change came due to 16th century Protestant prejudice.[/QUOTE]

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife

Thank you for the extra reading.

Peter was so called not because of firmness of character, but the reverse. Peter was an Elder in the Church (1Peter 5:1), and he was the Apostle who, of all others, teaches so clearly that Christ is the Rock on which His church was built.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
This is completely false.
According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon and Strong's Exhaustive Greek Concordance - "Cephas", the transliteratioon of the Aramaic "Kepha" simply means "ROCK".

It doesn't mean "hollow" Rock or "small" Rock or "pebble" or anything else.
It means "ROCK."

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@kepha31
@BreadOfLife

Thank you for your input. I have nothing to add, and nothing to retract. The Word of God must be the arbitur on this matter.

In. Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I believe that the Church which is the Body of Christ was formed, following the laying aside, temporarily, of Israel in unbelief at the end of the approximately forty year period covered by 'The Acts of The Apostles'.

During that period opportunity was given for Israel to repent, and initiate the return of Christ, as Peter announced in Acts 3:19,20:-

'Repent ye therefore, and be converted,
That your sins may be blotted out,
When the times of refreshing shall come
From the presence of the Lord:
And He shall send Jesus Christ,
Which before was preached unto you: ... '

I have to go now, back again later, God willing.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello there,

I believe that the Church which is the Body of Christ was formed, following the laying aside, temporarily, of Israel in unbelief at the end of the approximately forty year period covered by 'The Acts of The Apostles'.

During that period opportunity was given for Israel to repent, and initiate the return of Christ, as Peter announced in Acts 3:19,20:-

'Repent ye therefore, and be converted,
That your sins may be blotted out,
When the times of refreshing shall come
From the presence of the Lord:
And He shall send Jesus Christ,
Which before was preached unto you: ... '

I have to go now, back again later, God willing.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Peter? What does he know?
Acts 1:13 - Peter is first when entering upper room after our Lord's ascension. The first Eucharist and Pentecost were given in this room.

Acts 1:15 - Peter initiates selection of a successor to Judas right after Jesus ascended into heaven, and no one questions him. Further, if the Church needed a successor to Judas, wouldn't it need one to Peter? Of course.

Acts 2:14 - Peter is first to speak for the apostles after the Holy Spirit descended upon them at Pentecost. Peter is the first to preach the Gospel.

Acts 2:38 - Peter gives first preaching in the early Church on repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Acts 3:1,3,4 - Peter is mentioned first as going to the Temple to pray.

Acts 3:6-7 - Peter works the first healing of the apostles.

Acts 3:12-26, 4:8-12 - Peter teaches the early Church the healing through Jesus and that there is no salvation other than Christ.

Acts 5:3 - Peter declares first anathema of Ananias and Sapphira which is ratified by God, and brings about their death. Peter exercises his binding authority.

Acts 5:15 - Peter's shadow has healing power. No other apostle is said to have this power.

Acts 8:14 - Peter is mentioned first in conferring the sacrament of confirmation.

Acts 8:20-23 - Peter casts judgment on Simon's quest for gaining authority through the laying on of hands. Peter exercises his binding and loosing authority.

Acts 9:32-34 - Peter is mentioned first among apostles and works healing of Aeneas.

Acts 9:38-40 - Peter is mentioned first among the apostles and raises Tabitha from the dead.

Acts 10:5 - Cornelius is told by an angel to call upon Peter. Angels are messengers of God. Peter was granted this divine vision.

Acts 10:34-48, 11:1-18 - Peter is first to teach about salvation for all (Jews and Gentiles).

Acts 12:5 - this verse implies that the "whole Church" offered "earnest prayers" for Peter, their leader, during his imprisonment.

Acts 12:6-11 - Peter is freed from jail by an angel. He is the first object of divine intervention in the early Church.

Acts 15:7-12 - Peter resolves the first doctrinal issue on circumcision at the Church's first council at Jerusalem, and no one questions him. After Peter the Papa spoke, all were kept silent.

Acts 15:12 - only after Peter (the Pope) speaks do Paul and Barnabas (bishops) speak in support of Peter's definitive teaching.

Acts 15:13-14 - then James speaks to further acknowledge Peter's definitive teaching. "Simeon (Peter) has related how God first visited..."
Scripture Catholic - THE PRIMACY OF PETER

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This is completely false.
According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon and Strong's Exhaustive Greek Concordance - "Cephas", the transliteratioon of the Aramaic "Kepha" simply means "ROCK".

It doesn't mean "hollow" Rock or "small" Rock or "pebble" or anything else.
It means "ROCK."
popcorn

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@kepha31
@BreadOfLife
Thank you for your input. I have nothing to add, and nothing to retract. The Word of God must be the arbitur on this matter.

In. Christ Jesus
Chris
No - this is a linguistic matter.
YOUR problem is that when you are presented with the linguistic facts - you simply turn a blind eye and ignore them.

Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.