What Day Is The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You KNOW that you have NO Scripture for claiming this. YOU, KNOW, but you keep on claiming this untruth, this false claim, this deception, this beastly mark and stamp of authority OVER THE WORD OF GOD.

...and it does not worry you that you are singing in harmony with the SDA choir under the baton of the same conductor and director of music.
Friend,
I am not SDA.
consider this;
Matthew 28 King James Version (KJV)
28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

now pay attention;
Matthew 28 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
28 And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Bearing in mind that the Jewish way of life was well-founded on established precepts, The woman would be well versed in the fact that worship took place on the Sabbath so there was no need to talk about something that was not on the horizon.

Because <<the Jewish way of life was so well-founded on established precepts>>, the woman could not think that worship on the Sabbath would come to an end. But it wasn't her concern. Were she concerned about the Sabbath's future observance, she would have made it clear to Jesus; but she didn't and therefore He said nothing about it. As you say, <<there was no need to talk about something that was not on the horizon>> and therefore future Sabbath observance <<was not what she and Jesus were discussing>>.
And so let us rather think of what really happened after in history "according to the Scriptures" and nothing but history : "according to the Scriptures" once again.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Friend,
I am not SDA.
consider this;
28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

now pay attention;
28 And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,

Whichever, it is "ON the eve ... BEFORE / towards the first ..." and not vice versa, after the eve ... on the first.

And don't forget, KJV is a translation; Young's is literal, viz., not a translation. A literal version scarcely can offer IDIOM; a real ('authorized') translation scarcely cannot offer IDIOM.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SO WHAT? Is anyone your norm and authority?
98581169_2943872269059597_7059752853853700096_n.jpg
I'll stick with the NT. No Sabbath for Christians!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend,
I am not SDA.
consider this;

now pay attention;
Well yeah,
Verses 10 and 11, "As many as are of the works of the Law are under the curse"-- the curse "WRITTEN" for "transgressing the Law", viz., the curse of SIN which is DEATH. For "11 no man is justified by the Law in the sight of God" viz., no man is justified by the Law or by the works of the Law either works of transgression or works of obedience. BY NO works, by NO LAW is anyone justified or is made righteous or receives forgiveness or is saved.

But according to YOU now, assuming a righteousness of your own by works of your own, it is JUST THE SABBATH which is contra-productive and condemns whoever believe or try to honour it. So you are in truth accusing the Holy Spirit of condemning sin in only one respect while licencing sin in every other way.
Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus, I won't!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did he? I thought the New Covenant is in his blood not the blood of animals so he changed it to stop people relying on the blood of animals to be acceptable to God. I can't see anywhere where he said the 10 commandments were obsolete. If they are it is OK to murder.
Nine of the Ten are in the NT. Not Sabbath commands!

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Amen Jesus!
You don't know your Bible! Bad! You know Colossians 2 least, not even one verse I see you can quote without unrecognisable kentucky chicken palp for food and drink... grrrr I won't bring near me's mouth or sight.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Do you obey the Sabbath commands?
The Sabbath reminds me every Sabbath of the week to remember the Sabbath Day of the LORD our GOD and all my unrelated as well as associated sins and shortcomings, driving me to the Lord of the Sabbath Day for his forgiveness, mercies and love.

PS And if I get the time, I love to play on the piano, 'Now I belong to Jesus'. Wish I could play it for the world to hear ... and, know!

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whichever, it is "ON the eve ... BEFORE / towards the first ..." and not vice versa, after the eve ... on the first.

And don't forget, KJV is a translation; Young's is literal, viz., not a translation. A literal version scarcely can offer IDIOM; a real ('authorized') translation scarcely cannot offer IDIOM.
A transition took place;the end of the sabbath

Amen Jesus!
All ten commandments are still in effect.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"kcnalp,

[You execute those who work on the "Sabbath" as God COMMANDED Israel? Sabbath COMMANDS are ONLY in the Law of Moses and were ONLY for Israel!]
No.
We are not under the mosaic law now. We are under law to Christ. We do not look back to the first Exodus, but rather to the new Exodus in Jesus.
Have you had a chance to consider Jesus as the New Exodus?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually no as it is the wrong translation. The correct translation is One of the sabbaths.
Just looked into it, and you are correct about the original translation. But, so what? I don't think this changes that we can't worship on Sunday, this first day of the week.

Today's Church is not under the Law and thus, isn't commanded to observe the Sabbath. And certainly not as strictly as asked in the OT.
Neither is it forbidden. We are commanded, even in the NT to worship and gather the together.

4. Today's Church is not under the Law and thus, isn't commanded to observe the Sabbath. And certainly not as strictly as asked in the OT
I agree.

So if we are not under the law it is OK to murder

Yes.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I show you would you keep it?

Hebrews 4:9
9 there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God,
It? There was more than one Sabbath command, including execution of those who worked on the Sabbath. I don't know of anyone who keeps the Sabbath commands, but some sure do try to force it on others.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It? There was more than one Sabbath command, including execution of those who worked on the Sabbath. I don't know of anyone who keeps the Sabbath commands, but some sure do try to force it on others.
I explained we are not under Moses, but rather Christ! Did you not read that post?

Sabbath Rest by Sinclair Ferguson
Sabbath Rest
by Sinclair Ferguson

The anonymous author of Hebrews found different ways of describing the superiority of the Lord Jesus Christ. One of them, which forms the underlying motif of chapters 3 and 4, is that Jesus Christ gives the rest that neither Moses nor Joshua could provide. Under Moses, the people of God were disobedient and failed to enter into God’s rest (3:18). Psalm 95:11 (quoted in Hebrews 4:3) implies that Joshua could not have given the people “real rest” since “through David” God speaks about the rest he will give on another day (Heb. 4:7). This in turn implies that “There remains a sabbath rest for the people of God” (Heb. 4:9).

In speaking of this rest (3:18; 4:1, 3-6, 8) the author consistently used the same word for “rest” (katapausis). Suddenly, in speaking about the “rest” that remains for the people of God, he uses a different word (sabbatismos, used only here in the NT) meaning specifically a Sabbath rest. In the context of his teaching, this refers fundamentally to the “Sabbath rest” which is found in Christ (“Come … I will give you rest,” Matt. 11:28-30). Thus we are to “strive to enter that rest” (4:11).

Since Augustine, Christians have recognized that the Bible describes human experience in a fourfold scheme: in(i) creation, (ii) fall, (iii) redemption and (iv) glory. We are familiar with echoes of this in the Westminster Confession of Faith (chapter 9) and in Thomas Boston’s great book Human Nature in its Fourfold State. It is no surprise then that the Sabbath, which was made for man, is experienced by him in four ways.

In creation, man was made as God’s image—intended “naturally” as God’s child to reflect his Father. Since his Father worked creatively for six days and rested on the seventh, Adam, like a son, was to copy Him. Together, on the seventh day, they were to walk in the garden. That day was a time to listen to all the Father had to show and tell about the wonders of His creating work.

Thus the Sabbath Day was meant to be “Father’s Day” every week. It was “made” for Adam. It also had a hint of the future in it. The Father had finished His work, but Adam had not.

But Adam fell. He ruined everything, including the Sabbath. Instead of walking with God, he hid from God (Gen. 3:8). It was the Sabbath, Father’s Day, but God had to look for him!

This new context helps us to understand the significance of the fourth commandment. It was given to fallen man—that is why it contains a “you shall not.” He was not to work, but to rest. Externally, that meant ceasing from his ordinary tasks in order to meet with God. Internally, it involved ceasing from all self-sufficiency in order to rest in God’s grace.

Considering this, what difference did the coming of Jesus make to the Sabbath day? In Christ crucified and risen, we find eternal rest (Matt. 11:28-30), and we are restored to communion with God (Matt. 11:25-30). The lost treasures of the Sabbath are restored. We rest in Christ from our labor of self-sufficiency, and we have access to the Father (Eph. 2:18). As we meet with Him, He shows us Himself, His ways, His world, His purposes, His glory. And whatever was temporary about the Mosaic Sabbath must be left behind as the reality of the intimate communion of the Adamic Sabbath is again experienced in our worship of the risen Savior on the first day of the week&mdash the Lord’s Day.

But we have not yet reached the goal. We still struggle to rest from our labors; we still must “strive to enter that rest” (Heb. 4:11). Consequently the weekly nature of the Sabbath continues as a reminder that we are not yet home with the Father. And since this rest is ours only through union with Christ in His death and resurrection, our struggles to refuse the old life and enjoy the new continue.

But one may ask: “How does this impact my Sundays as a Christian?” This view of the Sabbath should help us regulate our weeks. Sunday is “Father’s Day,” and we have an appointment to meet Him. The child who asks “How short can the meeting be?” has a dysfunctional relationship problem—not an intellectual, theological problem—something is amiss in his fellowship with God.

This view of the Sabbath helps us deal with the question “Is it ok to do … on Sunday?—because I don’t have any time to do it in the rest of the week?” If this is our question, the problem is not how we use Sunday, it is how we are misusing the rest of the week.

This view of the Lord’s Day helps us see the day as a foretaste of heaven. And it teaches us that if the worship, fellowship, ministry, and outreach of our churches do not give expression to that then something is seriously amiss.

Hebrews teaches us that eternal glory is a Sabbath rest. Every day, all day, will be “Father’s Day!” Thus if here and now we learn the pleasures of a God-given weekly rhythm, it will no longer seem strange to us that the eternal glory can be described as a prolonged Sabbath!