What did Christ mean saying, God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
There is no question Christ said it, as we find it in several places..
Mark 12:27
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Luke 20:38
For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

So lets begin in Matthew..

Matthew 22:23-33
23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Look at what Jesus said to the Sadducees in verses 30-32: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' He is God not of the dead, but of the living" .

The whole passage if you look is a discussion between Jesus and the Sadducees about the resurrection. They denied that there would be a resurrection of the dead and came to see what Christ would say. They posed a hypothetical case of a woman who married seven brothers in turn and asked Jesus which of the brothers would be her husband after the resurrection. Jesus' answer focused on the resurrection: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven" in verse 30. Then he added: "But as for the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read what was said to you by God, I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is God not of the dead, but of the living". What did Christ mean?

I'd like to try to answer this part of your post, (quote)
Look at what Jesus said to the Sadducees in verses 30-32: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' He is God not of the dead, but of the living."

The prior part of the discussion regarded widows and furtherance of the seeds of dead men.

I think contextually Jesus is telling us only living people need
link with God. Because the dead individual knows nothing. Because their unique human identity has been cast off. And their soul and it's spiritual cord that connected the person in the flesh to Creator,is returned to God.

God is God of the living because in this human condition we need God.When the dead are within ,returned to,God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's realm is that of life, not death.
There is one whose realm is death and it is not God.

Hebrews 2:14
We are people of flesh and blood. This is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's realm is that of life, not death.
There is one whose realm is death and it is not God.

Hebrews 2:14
We are people of flesh and blood. This is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death
Thus death is destroyed when the devil and sin cease..

Reactions: The Learner

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to try to answer this part of your post, (quote)
Look at what Jesus said to the Sadducees in verses 30-32: "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' He is God not of the dead, but of the living."

The prior part of the discussion regarded widows and furtherance of the seeds of dead men.

I think contextually Jesus is telling us only living people need
link with God. Because the dead individual knows nothing. Because their unique human identity has been cast off. And their soul and it's spiritual cord that connected the person in the flesh to Creator,is returned to God.

God is God of the living because in this human condition we need God.When the dead are within ,returned to,God.
Not sure where you get that from, the only reference I can think of is Ecclesiastes 12:1-8
1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:
3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened,
4 And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;
5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Not sure where you get that from, the only reference I can think of is Ecclesiastes 12:1-8
1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:
3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened,
4 And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;
5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.
I don't think that conflicts with my observation given I referenced that passage in my post.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 14:8-9 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. [9] For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

In consideration of ‘God is not the God of the dead, but of the Living’ …the above from Romans begins with speaking on those who eat and those who are afraid to eat, those who esteem one day and those who esteem everyday alike…then Romans 14:8-9 followed by who are you to Judge another. What I hear is “what does that have to do with you? Whether one eats or eats not, whether one drinks or drinks not …why do you judge another man’s servant?”

But clearly this passage tells: for this end —the end of all strife? Christ did both …He died…and Rose…and revived…that he might be Lord of both the dead and the Living.

Romans 7:2-4 speaks of an woman bound by a law to her husband as long as her husband lives, but if her husband is dead, then she has been set loose (Free) from the law of her husband. She is Free and can marry another and will not be called an Adulterous woman.
In the same way in Romans (spoken to those held under the Law) that while they(those under the law) were in the flesh the motions of sin, which were by the law, did work in those under the law among their members to bring forth fruit unto death. (Sin unto death) But being dead…wherein those bound to the law, by the body of Christ —she who would have been called an adulterer is set free from the Law: those who were dead set free, to serve in newness of spirit(Imo making Him the Lord of the dead and the Living since ‘the dead’ only “Lives” through and by Him), and not oldness of the letter.
For this end: Romans 7:5-6 that you should bear, bring forth fruit unto God.

1 Corinthians 3:21-23 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; [23] And you are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
^i do think that makes Him the Lord of the dead and the Living. But even the Lord of Paul. The Lord of Apollos. The Lord of Cephas. The Lord of the world, and life, and death and things present and things to come …other verses supportive of “although He possessed all things He became as one who possessed nothing, becoming as one who possessed nothing even though He was Lord of all …
so that we, through Him, may be made rich although it appears we also possess nothing yet in Him, we (He has made us with Him to) possess all things. Good news …He said I can lay it down and I take it up again. Given the power (authority) to disrobe and put on “the glorious apparel” given unto Him of Him Father. Where God the Father is not the God of the dead, but of the Living. If “for this Cause” Jesus Christ had not died and rose again, then God would have been the God of the dead for none were found worthy. All have gone out of the way. All have failed. All have fallen short.
Paul said following after the Spirit of Christ: as dying, yet behold we Live! As having nothing, yet possessing all things. As poor, yet making many rich.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietthinker