What did Christ say about the Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's untrue that God's Law is eternal and unchanging--eg, the Law forbids incest, but incest was a Holy Command in Gen 1 ("be fruitful and multiply" would result in incest).

Christ overruled Torah in a number of instances (eg, forbidding vows), so we know He didn't mean "You must follow the Law", but means His new rulings uphold the principles behind the Laws (eg, the Law says to respect God by paying your vows, but Christ says to respect God by taking no vow at all).
imo - the LORD Jesus was not overriding per say but HE was preparing His Bride for the New Covenant before He went to the Cross by showing that HE was indeed God in the flesh = LORD of the Sabbath
Thus having all authority over His Creation including the Law which HE Fulfilled.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, bc "Salvation" is defined as having been foreshadowed by the Jews' "Salvation" from Egypt (when Jesus defines sin as "slavery", it's not mere coincidence)--still, after having been saved, they sinned and fell under God's wrath and failed to inherit what was promised them (1 Co 10).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imo - the LORD Jesus was not overriding per say but HE was preparing His Bride for the New Covenant before He went to the Cross by showing that HE was indeed God in the flesh = LORD of the Sabbath
Thus having all authority over His Creation including the Law which HE Fulfilled.
He literally says, "You have heard it said... but I say"--explicitly countermanding Torah.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He literally says, "You have heard it said... but I say"--explicitly countermanding Torah.

EXACTLY

Let's connect the dots.

Go back to Genesis 1:1-3 and then forward to John 1:1-14 then John 8:58 then Luke 18:18-22

The Gospel is Coded and includes Who the Author is from Genesis and Torah and the Prophets

JESUS spoke in this Code but only those whom the Father was calling would hear and see.

But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable.
And He said to them, “To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, so that

‘Seeing they may see and not perceive,
And hearing they may hear and not understand;
Lest they should turn,
And their sins be forgiven them.’ ”

And HE has not changed His mind on this.

Last edited:

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Christ had the prerogative to overrule OT declarations, however galling it might be to Pharisees.
Jesus is God’s word made flesh, so he shouldn’t be interpreted as overruling God’s word. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from God’s law, so if Jesus had tried to overrule it, then he would have sinned and therefore disqualified himself as being our Savior. Likewise, in Deuteronomy 13:1-5, the way that God instructed His children to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for Him was if they had taught against obeying His law even if they perform signs and wonders, so if Jesus had done that, then those who consider him to be a false prophet for that reason would be correctly acting in accordance the what God has instructed His children to do.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is about what Jesus says about the Law. Are you helping move that conversation ahead? Am I missing something?
i just now read the OP and to my surprise i answered EXACTLY as it should be - according to the OP

The Dots i gave in Post 25 leads to the answer in Luke 18:18-22

• Haha
Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i just now read the OP and to my surprise i answered EXACTLY as it should be - according to the OP

The Dots i gave in Post 25 leads to the answer in Luke 18:18-22
I didn't mean to henpeck, I am just concerned about making sure readers get solid unambiguous answers.

Reactions: David in NJ

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do not know what you are laughing at ???

The Gospel would never come into existence apart from Genesis, the Law, the Prophets.
I was laughing bc it's funny that you realized after the fact that you believe you actually posted on topic without even having known it.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't mean to henpeck, I am just concerned about making sure readers get solid unambiguous answers.
Many readers on here do not even take the time to examine the scriptural referneces and spend the necessary time in prayer to understand them.

My quick responses come from 40 years of prayer, study, more prayer and more study =
With the Holy Spirit as my Guide i considered knowing the Holy Scriptures of Great Worth and spent many hours and days at the Feet of JESUS.
And this i continue to do as i approach my final years and long for His Return or His Coming for me.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many readers on here do not even take the time to examine the scriptural referneces and spend the necessary time in prayer to understand them.

My quick responses come from 40 years of prayer, study, more prayer and more study = i put the time in at JESUS FEET
Well, if you believe it's helpful and on topic, hopefully it will be and is.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you believe it's helpful and on topic, hopefully it will be and is.
Now you have me doing a lol.

Because very few take the time to thoroughly evaluate and compare scripture to scripture.

There is another Element which is a 'must have' as well which you know of and i will not mention it since religion hates it.

Last edited:

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Remove your last sentence as i AGREE with everything you stated.

Nothing has changed except this: It is daily getting worse and worse
Yes so, do we comply with government and the totalitarian control systems? Or do we renounce them?

We renounce them because they are evil. Clearly. But no one wants to do that which makes them apart of the problem.