What did Christ say about the Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many readers on here do not even take the time to examine the scriptural referneces and spend the necessary time in prayer to understand them.
That's why I do not merely cite the Scripture, I try to share it, especially on issues like this, because I want to make it as easy as possible for the people to get the message.

Reactions: David in NJ

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.
In Deuteronomy 5:31-33, Moses wrote down everything that God commanded Him without departing from it, so all of the Law of Moses came from God and are based on His nature, not just ten of its commandments. All of the Law of Moses teaches us how to point to the Messiah, so we should live in a way that points towards him rather than a way that points away from him.

Matthew 5:17-19
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked.

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Ten Commandments are arranged in two groups, the first group of four commandments deal with our relationship to God, the second group of the fifth to the tenth commandments deal with our relationship to one another. When Jesus talks about 'not that I am come to destroy the law', it is obvious that it is the Ten Commandments Jesus is talking about. So did Jesus want to do away with the Ten Commandments or did He came to fulfill that which pointed to Him as the Lamb of God, the ceremonial law of Moses. We have to understand His purpose...
The phrase "Law and the Prophets" straightforwardly refers to everything in the Law and the Prophets, so all of the Law and the Prophets hang on the greatest two commandments, not to just ten of its commandments. For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit idolatry, murder, adultery, or theft, but we also won't commit kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the Law of Moses, so Jesus did not come to abolish the least part of it. Jesus did not mention his death anywhere in Matthew 5, but rather "to fulfill the law" means "to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment" (NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo), so after Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law, he then proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it as it should be.

The first five of the Ten Commandments parallel the last five by being based on the same principles that are expressed differently in regard to our vertical relationships with our creators or our horizontal relationships with our neighbors, such as with the 2nd Commandment against idolatry being to our vertical relationship with our Creator what the 7th Commandment against adultery is to our horizontal relationships with our neighbor, so the 5th Commandment to honor our parents should be grouped with the first four Commandents.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE OLD AND THE NEW

ROMANS 8:1 there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in CHRIST JESUS who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit
--8:2-- for the law of the spirit of life in CHRIST JESUS hath made me free ---THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH --
In Romans 7:25-8:2, Paul contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin and contrasted the Law of the Spirit with the law of sin and death, so the Law of God is not the law of sin and death, but rather he equated the Law of God with the Law of the. Spirit, after all the Spirit is God.

2 CORINTHIANS 3:5 not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves but our sufficiency is of GOD
--3:6-- who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament ---not of the letter -- but of the spirit--- FOR THE LETTER KILLETH BUT THE SPIRIT GIVETH LIFE---

--3:7-- but if the ministration of death written and engraven in stones was glorious so that the children of israel could not stedfastly behold the face of moses for the glory of his countenance ---WHICH GLORY WAS TO BE DONE AWAY---

--3:8-- how shall not the minstration of the spirit be rather glorious
--3:9--for if the ministration of --CONDEMNATION-- be glory much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory
--3:10-- for even that which is done away was glorious had no glory in this respect ---BY REASON OF THE GLORY THAT EXCELLETH---
--3:11-- for if that which is done away was glorious much more that which remaineth is glorious
In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting His law in our minds and writing it on our hearts, and in Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey His law. In Romans 10:5-8, Paul references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! Moreover, there are many other verses that repeatedly say that obeying the Law of God leads to live, such as Deuteronomy 32:46-47, Proverbs 3:18, Proverbs 6:23, Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28, Hebrews 5:9, and Revelation 22:14, so 2 Corinthians 3:6 needs to be understood in a way that is in accordance with these other verses and not in a way that contradicts them. If obeying the letter refers to correctly obeying the Law of God and if that leads to death, then that would mean that God should not be trusted to guide us, which is absurd.

JOHN 6:63 it is the spirit that quickeneth the flesh profiteth nothing the words that I speak unto you they are spirit and they are life

HEBREWS 7:11 if therefore perfection were by the levitical priesthood for under it the people received the law what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of melchisedec and not be called after the order of aaron

--7:12-- FOR THE PRIESTHOOD BEING CHANGED THERE IS MADE OF NECESSITY --- A CHANGE ALSO OF THE LAW ---

--7:22-- by so much was JESUS made a surety of a better testament

--7:23-- and they truly were many priests because they were not suffered to continue --- BY REASON OF DEATH ---

--7:24-- BUT THIS MAN BECAUSE HE CONTINUETH EVER HATH AN UNCHANGEABLE PRIESTHOOD

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same eternal character and therefore the same eternal laws for how to act in accordance with His character. For example, God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of His righteous laws are also eternal (Psalms 119:160). While laws for how to act in accordance with God's character are included as part of His covenants, the way to act in accordance with His character is straightforwardly based on His character, not on a particular covenant, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to act in accordance with His character are eternally valid, and if they were to ever change, then God's character would not be eternal. So Hebrews 7:12 can't be referring to a change of the law in regard to its content, such as with it becoming righteous to commit adultery or sinful to do charity, but rather in context it is speaking about a change of the priesthood, which would also require there to be a change of the law in regard to its administration.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 4, Jesus consistently preceded a quote from what was written by saying "it is written...", but in Matthew 5, he consistently preceded a quote from what the people had heard being said by saying "you have heard that it was said...", so him emphasis on the different form of communication is important. Jesus was not sinning in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2 by making changes to what was written, but rather he was fulfilling the law by correcting what the people had heard being said and by teaching how to correctly obey it as it was originally intended.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your point should instead dwell on the differences between the old covenant, and The New Covenant.

What things must... be abolished that were per the old covenant in order for the New Covenant to be established instead. That should be the area of focus.
In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus said that he came not to abolish the law and warned against relaxing the least part of it, so saying that he abolished even the least part of it is calling him a liar and disregarding his warning. Furthermore, in Romans 3:31, Paul confirms that our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it.

The reason I say the above, is because there are still things written in God's law that are outside the Ten Commandments, which are still in effect today. I speak especially of God's creation science laws that He made as part of His creation. The New Covenant did not change that part of God's law.
All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so none of them will ever be changed.

For example, one of God's laws is to not sow a garden with 'diverse' seeds, lest the fruit be defiled. In other words, when sowing tomatoes, you sow seeds for tomatoes, not a combined mix of different things all at once in the same spot. That's an example in God's law that is about His creation science. It's common sense today.

Various washings were required per God's law. In the middle ages, that wasn't followed by doctors. They would wash their hands in the same pan of dirty water when going to the next patient. When the disease was transferred, they started wondering about its cause. Then someone understood about the washings in God's law. Doctors then began to wash their hands under running water instead...

Lev 15:13
13 And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean.
KJV

Today, most countries have running water to cleanse with.

I also recall in God's law that said for farmers to not reap the corners of their field, but leave it for the poor. When I was Spain, I noticed farmers still doing that practice, not reaping the corners of their fields. Crop rotation is another matter in God's law which involves creation science. God said to let the land rest at the seventh season, obviously so nutrients could go back into the soil. Today various fertilizer techniques are used, and rotating the type of crop. But a lot of farmers still let some fields rest, and let nutrients return naturally.
All of God's laws were given for our own good (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13), though while ritual washings are sanitary, they are not done for the point of being sanitary. People will wash dirt off of themselves before immersing in a mikveh.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus said that he came not to abolish the law and warned against relaxing the least part of it, so saying that he abolished even the least part of it is calling him a liar and disregarding his warning. Furthermore, in Romans 3:31, Paul confirms that our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it.
So you are an Orthodox Jew, and NOT a Christian?? Why have you tried to deceive Christians here by putting the word 'Christian' in your Faith column of your profile on this Forum?

I don't know if you are really Jewish orthodox, or not. The reason I say that above, is because by your not understanding what God's law contains, because the 'ordinances' that were part of the 'old covenant' Christ Jesus NAILED TO HIS CROSS, and those ordinances in the law are NO MORE, and NOT part of the New Covenant Jesus Christ.

Now go... study... and find out about those "handwriting of ordinances" in the law that Jesus nailed to His cross per The New Covenant, and understand 1 Timothy 1, 1 Corinthians 6, and the Galatians 5 about God's laws that Jesus did not... nail to His cross, which all who transgress and fall away to sin are still subject to.

Eph 2:13-15
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For He is our peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
KJV

Col 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath He quickened together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;
KJV

Col 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
KJV

Heb 9:8-14
8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, Who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
KJV

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are an Orthodox Jew, and NOT a Christian?? Why have you tried to deceive Christians here by putting the word 'Christian' in your Faith column of your profile on this Forum?
Christ came as the Jewish Messiah of Judaism in fulfillment of prophecy and he spent his ministry teaching his followers how to practice Judaism in obedience to the Torah by word and by example. In Acts 21:20, they were rejoicing that tens of thousands of Jews were coming to faith in Christ who were all zealous for the Torah, which is in accordance with believing in what Jesus accomplished through the cross in Titus 2:14. This means that there was a period of time between the resurrection of Jesus and the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10 that is estimated to be around 7-15 years during which all Christians were Torah observant Jews, so Christianity at its origin was the form of Judaism that recognized Jesus as its prophesied Messiah, and this is the form of Christianity that I seek by faith to practice, so I was not deceiving anyone by saying that I am a Christian.

I don't know if you are really Jewish orthodox, or not. The reason I say that above, is because by your not understanding what God's law contains, because the 'ordinances' that were part of the 'old covenant' Christ Jesus NAILED TO HIS CROSS, and those ordinances in the law are NO MORE, and NOT part of the New Covenant Jesus Christ.
Every time that the Bible uses the Greek word "dogma" other than Colossians 2:14 and Ephesian 2:15, it refers to something other than the Torah, so justification need to be given for why those verses should be I interpreted as referring to the Torah, especially in light of the fact that all of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160). In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from the Torah, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Torah is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

Now go... study... and find out about those "handwriting of ordinances" in the law that Jesus nailed to His cross per The New Covenant, and understand 1 Timothy 1, 1 Corinthians 6, and the Galatians 5 about God's laws that Jesus did not... nail to His cross, which all who transgress and fall away to sin are still subject to.
I have studied those chapters and do not think that they should be interpreted as speaking against obeying what God has commanded or that they are speaking about the "handwriting of ordinances" because they don't use the Greek word "dogma".

Eph 2:13-15
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For He is our peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
KJV
In Ephesians 2:10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so it shouldn't make sense to interpret a few verses later as saying that Christ did away with his eternal instructions for how to do good works. Instructions for how to act in accordance with God's goodness can't be abolished without first abolishing God's goodness and the same goes for other aspects of God's eternal character. God did not make any mistakes when He gave the Torah, so He had no need to abolish Himself. In other words, God's word can't be abolished without also abolishing God's word made flesh. God also did not give any laws for the purpose of creating a dividing wall of hostility, but rather His law instructs us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Again, Matthew 5:17-19 and Romans 3:31 affirm that Jesus did not abolish God's law.

In Ephesians 2:12-19, Gentiles were at one time separated from Christ, alienated from Israel, strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world, but through faith in Christ all of those things are no longer true in that Gentiles are no longer strangers or aliens, but are now fellow citizens of Israel along with the saints in the household of God. So it is speak about Gentiles becoming joined with Christ, join with Israel, and joined with the covenants of promise, which is all in accordance with Gentiles becoming Torah observant, not about Jews rejecting Christ, ceasing to be part of Israel, and ceasing in to be part of the covenants of promise in order to become joined with Gentiles in accordance with the Torah being abolished.

Col 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath He quickened together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;
KJV
The purpose of the barbarity of crucifixion was to act as a deterrent, so the Romans wanted to make sure that everyone knew why someone was being crucified, which they did by nailing a handwritten ordinance to their cross that announced that changes that were against them. This is in accordance with Matthew 27:37 where they nailed a sign to Christ's cross that announced the charge that was against him of being the King of the Jews and this is likely how his followers knew that the people who were crucified with him was thieves. The Romans did not nail any laws themselves to the cross such that they needed to legislate a new law against committing murder every time someone was crucified for doing that. This fits perfectly with a list of the sins that we have committed being nailed to Christ's cross and with him dying in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but has nothing to do with ending any laws. There is a difference between these two statements:

1. You shall not commit murder.

2. This person has been changed with committing murder.

The first is an example of a law that is for our own good while the second is an example of a handwritten ordinance that was against someone that was nailed to their cross.

Col 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
KJV
Again, Paul described what he was speaking against in those verses as being the commandments and doctrines of men, so those verses shouldn't be interpreted as speaking against obeying the commands of God as if Paul were an enemy of God.

Heb 9:8-14
8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, Who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
KJV
The time of the reformation refers to when there will be a new heaven and a new earth where things are restored to what they were like in the Garden of Eden where the lion lies down with the lamb.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ came as the Jewish Messiah of Judaism in fulfillment of prophecy and he spent his ministry teaching his followers how to practice Judaism in obedience to the Torah by word and by example. ....
I do not believe you by your claim to be a Christian. You instead are pushing JUDAISM, and not the principles of Christianity. I even SUSPECT that you chose a name like Soyeong in order to HIDE the fact that you are actually an Orthodox Jew that follows the Jew's religion of Judaism.

So welcome to my IGNORE LIST.

Last edited:

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe you claim to be a Christian. You instead are pushing JUDAISM, and not the principles of Christianity. I even SUSPECT that you chose a name like Soyeong in order to HIDE the fact that you are actually an Orthodox Jew that follows the Jew's religion of Judaism.

So welcome to my IGNORE LIST.
A Christian is someone who seeks to follow what Christ taught and Christ taught his followers to obey the Torah by word and by example. I affirm that we should follow what Christ taught and have not said anything against following what he taught, so why do you think that it is incorrect for me to claim to be his follower? I've been using this screen name for over 20 years long before I became Torah observant.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 4, Jesus consistently preceded a quote from what was written by saying "it is written...", but in Matthew 5, he consistently preceded a quote from what the people had heard being said by saying "you have heard that it was said...", so him emphasis on the different form of communication is important. Jesus was not sinning in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2 by making changes to what was written, but rather he was fulfilling the law by correcting what the people had heard being said and by teaching how to correctly obey it as it was originally intended.
@Soyeong says: "JESUS was fulfilling the law by correcting what the people had heard being said and by teaching how to correctly obey it as it was originally intended."

100% CORRECT

Reactions: Soyeong

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Soyeong says: "JESUS was fulfilling the law by correcting what the people had heard being said and by teaching how to correctly obey it as it was originally intended."

100% CORRECT
There is no amount of evidence you can furnish to convince a "Torah Observant" Christian he is wrong. You are either wasting your time in false hope, or else you know there's nothing you can say to him, and you're just sharpening your arguments against the stone heart.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no amount of evidence you can furnish to convince a "Torah Observant" Christian he is wrong. You are either wasting your time in false hope, or else you know there's nothing you can say to him, and you're just sharpening your arguments against the stone heart.
That incorrectly treats everyone in a group as though we are the same and it was said as if you were open to evidence that I could furnish to convince you that you are wrong.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was as if you were open to evidence that I could furnish to convince you that you are wrong.
WOW, i am wrong before any evidence is presented!

What spirit is teaching you these things?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The blindness Apostle Paul revealed that God put upon the majority of unbelieving Jews, per Romans 11. That won't be removed for the majority of them until the day of Christ's future return. So I wouldn't waste a lot of time with them.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was responding to him, not you. He is not open to changing his mind, so it seems odd that he would accuse me of that, especially when he doesn't know me.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The blindness Apostle Paul revealed that God put upon the majority of unbelieving Jews, per Romans 11. That won't be removed for the majority of them until the day of Christ's future return. So I wouldn't waste a lot of time with them.

Very sad especially with the completed scriptures and yet they still cannot SEE.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was responding to him, not you. He is not open to changing his mind, so it seems odd that he would accuse me of that, especially when he doesn't know me.
Who is him?

i do not know you either...........

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i just came in from a day of dangerous work - i seem to be caught in a twilight zone episode here.....

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the whole purpose of the Law?
The Bible begins and ends with the Tree of Life and the purpose of everything in between is about how have eternal life. Eternal life is the experience of knowing God and Jesus (John 17:3) and the purpose of God's law is to teach us how to have that experience through acting in accordance with His character. The Hebrew word "yada" refers to intimate relational knowledge gained through experience, such as in Genesis 4:1, Adam knew (yada) Eve, she conceived, and gave brith to Cain. The Mosaic Covenant is often described in terms of being a marriage between God and Israel, such as with God saying that He was husband to her (Jeremiah 31:31), so the purpose of the Mosaic and New Covenants are to yada God.

In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know (yada) Him. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know (yada) God and refused to know Him because in 9:13, they had forsaken the Mosaic Law while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all of the earth, so delighting in practicing those and other aspects of His character in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to know God, and the way know the Son, who is the exact image of God's character (Hebrews 1:3). In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Jesus, but don't obey his commands are liars, in 1 John 3:4-6, those who continue to practice sin in transgression of God's law have neither seen nor known Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them. So knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life.