What do you think it happens when Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the disciples of Jesus think he was alive in, let's say, another realm?

I don't think so. When he was killed, they practically think IT'S OVER. They didn't even remember what he said about coming back to life at the third day.

They didn't think anything about Jesus being somewhere else without a body of flesh ... If he was somewhere else, why wouldn't he have come to comfort them, or his mother and brothers, in their loss, and to tell them that he was still alive, albeit without a physical body?

So, no, they were not thinking on that, because they understood his death some other way (Matt. 26:31,32; Zach. 13:7), differently than what some people think about it today.
More president comfort was needed in hades. Scripture mentions going down to hades.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What part wasnt abandoned in hades in the verse below?

Since bodies don't fully die at death the cells kept living like today but without decay.

Acts 2:31
Foreseeing this, David spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that He was not abandoned to Hades, nor did His body see decay.
Sorry I didn't answered this before (it is about your last post too) ...

Let's say there are three parts of Jesus ... Some people think they are three individual Jesuses:

1) you said before that he physically died (post #9) and I guess you meant his body. SO: one Jesus died; I can not say it is one part of him like you said, since Jesus said himself I WAS DEAD in Rev. 1:18; 2:8.

2) You did say later (post #9 last part, post #11 and post #21) that his soul was in Hades. You quoted twice Acts 2:31 to prove it. I'll come back to this later ...

3) You didn't said anything about it, but I heard others saying that other part, his spirit, went with God the very same day he died. They quote Luke 23:46, and they say a lot more, like the spirit of Jesus never died, etc.

So, how many Jesuses can be alive at the same time? What for did the two Jesuses who were still alive, need the Jesus who was dead? Are all the three of them alive now? Which one, out of the three, was the one who talked to John?

PS: I believe there is only one Jesus and there is being always only one, like the one existed before he was born as a human being. He died, and came back to live again with a spirit body, like he was before, and he is in heaven now, in a place where only spirits can live (1 Cor. 15:50).

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't answered this before (it is about your last post too) ...

Let's say there are three parts of Jesus ... Some people think they are three individual Jesuses:

1) you said before physically he died (post #9) and I guess you mean his body. SO: one Jesus died; I can not say one part of him, since he said I died in Rev. 1:18; 2:8.

2) you do said later (post #9 last part, post #11 and post #21) that his soul was in Hades. You quoted twice Acts 2:31 to prove it. I'll come back to this later ...

3) You didn't said anything about it, but I heard others saying that other part, his spirit, went with God the very same day he died. They quote Luke 23:46, and they say a lot more, like the spirit of Jesus never died, etc.

So, how many Jesuses can be alive at the same time? What for did the two Jesuses who were still alive, need the Jesus who was dead? Are all the three of them alive now? Which one, out of the three, was the one who talked to John?

PS: I believe there is only one Jesus and there is being always only one, like the one existed before he was born as a human being. He died, and came back to live again with a spirit body, like he was before, and he is in heaven now, in a place where only spirits can live (1 Cor. 15:50).
Let me ask you this, when the day comes and you pass away, will your body still be you as you are now?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My body is me. If my body die, I died, since my brain will be not functioning any more. I'll stop thinking and feeling. I won't be alive until the day God will resurrect me to come back to live again. I'll be like sleeping without dreaming, waiting, resting.

Have you never read in the Scriptures that the dead ones are sleeping?

But that is a different topic. Here I am talking about Jesus' death.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Scriptures say that Jesus was raised from the dead (1 Cor. 15:12,20), that he was resurrected (Acts 2:24,32), and that his soul was taken from Hades (Acts 2:31), I understand all three expressions mean the same thing: he was brought back to life by God at the third day of being dead.

Think on this, the closer to the question I made in the first post of the topic: in what condition was his "soul" in Hades during the time he was dead? Was his "soul" alive doing something else there? Was he happy there? Why couldn't he get out of there? These are some questions you can ask yourself while meditate on other understandings that may be better alined with what the Scriptures really teaches.

I'll cite later in the topic some biblical passages that can answer these questions.

Reactions: Brakelite

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Scriptures say that Jesus was raised from the dead (1 Cor. 15:12,20), that he was resurrected (Acts 2:24,32), and that his soul was taken from Hades (Acts 2:31), I understand all three expressions mean the same thing: he was brought back to life by God at the third day of being dead.

Think on this, the closer to the question I made in the first post of the topic: in what condition was his "soul" in Hades during the time he was dead? Was his "soul" alive doing something else there? Was he happy there? Why couldn't he get out of there? These are some questions you can ask yourself while meditate on other understandings that may be better alined with what the Scriptures really teaches.

I'll cite later in the topic some biblical passages that can answer these questions.
I believe in Luke he tells a man being crucified with him he’ll be in paradise with him that day( today)?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in Luke he tells a man being crucified with him he’ll be in paradise with him that day( today)?
The problem with that is that Jesus said to the woman in John 20:17, the third day of that happening: "Be not detaining me, for not yet have I ascended unto the Father" (The Emphasized Bible). Later in Acts 1:3 it says he was "throughout forty days making himself visible unto them and speaking the things concerning the kingdom of God" ... Obviously you are missing some vital info to understand what he said to that guy there. ;)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the question: what do you think it happens when Jesus died?

Let's talk about it ... Please use the Scriptures in a smart manner, and use the logic in your argument, so we understand clearly what you believe and how you try and prove it with the Bible.

I think that when Jesus died, well, he stop being alive, because he said so here:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen (...)
2:8 (...) These things saith (...) which was dead, and is alive.

He said he was dead, and came back to life. Does it make sense to you?

Jesus died, was buried, and as prophesied, God did not leave his soul in hell, but resurrected him sir.
Lu 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
Joh 19:42 There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.
Ac 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Ac 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with that is that Jesus said to the woman in John 20:17, the third day of that happening: "Be not detaining me, for not yet have I ascended unto the Father" (The Emphasized Bible). Later in Acts 1:3 it says he was "throughout forty days making himself visible unto them and speaking the things concerning the kingdom of God" ... Obviously you are missing some vital info to understand what he said to that guy there. ;)
It’s what is written, so how to reconcile it?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many "living parts" of the dead Jesus (Rev. 1:18; 2:8) do you think there were after he was killed, and where do you think each of them was?

I have heard many stories about it, all of them based on some weird interpretations of a couple of verses ... and I am very interested in counting how many Jesuses can be alive at the same time.
human flesh the vessel has quite of afew parts that live after death. That is the reason why a human heart or kidney lungs can be transplanted to another human. the cells of those body parts are still living cells actively doing what they do.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people think that Jesus was somewhere , literally, during that time when he was dead, before his resurrection... It sounds illogical, that he was DEAD and ALIVE somewhere else at the same time, but that idea is very common in the present in many believers. The important thing is to realize if such a weird idea is what the Bible really tells us about that time of standby in which Jesus was before being raised "from the dead."

Probably many do not accept the idea that Jesus stopped living when he was killed, because that would say something more about his true nature when he was a human... Suppose that the expression "the soul of Jesus in Hades" refers to a a surviving entity after the death of Jesus who literally went to visit a group of other entities that were also literally somewhere...

Was that Jesus satisfied with his situation? Was he a complete being? Was he happy? How do those who say he was there in that place before he was resurrected imagine his status?

But more important: how does Scripture say that Jesus "was" during that time?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many "living parts" of the dead Jesus (Rev. 1:18; 2:8) do you think there were after he was killed, and where do you think each of them was?
This just another silly thread by ElieG12. No one should waste their time on it.

• Wow
Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people think that Jesus was somewhere , literally, during that time when he was dead, before his resurrection... It sounds illogical, that he was DEAD and ALIVE somewhere else at the same time, but that idea is very common in the present in many believers. The important thing is to realize if such a weird idea is what the Bible really tells us about that time of standby in which Jesus was before being raised "from the dead."

Probably many do not accept the idea that Jesus stopped living when he was killed, because that would say something more about his true nature when he was a human... Suppose that the expression "the soul of Jesus in Hades" refers to a a surviving entity after the death of Jesus who literally went to visit a group of other entities that were also literally somewhere...

Was that Jesus satisfied with his situation? Was he a complete being? Was he happy? How do those who say he was there in that place before he was resurrected imagine his status?

But more important: how does Scripture say that Jesus "was" during that time?

Hello ElieG12,

The reason people believe that Jesus went some where is because of what is said by Peter.

1 Peter 3
Suffering for Righteousness
…18For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit, 19in whom He also went and preached to the spirits inprison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In the ark a few people, only eight souls, were saved through water.…

Peter was writing to these people in that time, saying that Jesus was put to death in the body, but made alive in Spirit.

A Greeting from Peter
(2 Peter 1:1–2)

1Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To the elect who are exiles of the Dispersion throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, chosena 2according to the foreknowledge of God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by His blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

These are the people who he wrote to, mentioned in 1 Peter 3:18-20, that is why people believe Jesus Christ died, but was resurrected in Sheol, just as everyone else was, Moses, Elijah, until the resurrection became available for those who were first to enter into heaven, which I believe started with the death of Stephen, and all souls were resurrected in heaven until finally, the end came which is mentioned in Revelation 1-20, with 21-22 being pictures and types of the afterlife for us to learn from even though it is vague to some degree for people.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever pondered whether what Peter says really happened before Jesus' resurrection, or after he was resurrected?

Study the language, the words, the expressions Peter used. Go deeper.

• Wow

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not much deeper one can go than looking and reading scripture, questioning it only leads to either believing it happened, or not.

That is all there is, faith, which pleases God. To seek out what is truth, do you believe that Peter was an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, having seen him raised from the dead, and go off in the clouds of heaven? Does one even believe that in the beginning God?

the Bible is there, but faith is where the connection comes in between access with God by the Spirit, through the Lord Jesus Christ, who came, died, was buried, and raised again. Everything starts at the Cross, so it's good to read the Gospels, and learn who Jesus Christ was and what are the things he stated, and what were the encounters that he had, and what was it like during the book of Acts, and what was it like around the Apostle Pauls life, and what did he write? Did he ever meet Peter? Did anyone?

Faith is where it is at, and the Bible is fascinating because it co-relates to geographic attributes. Very interesting, a book about God, and his dealings with Mankind, all to have them saved in the end, because of reconciling the world unto himself in Christ, and all people who pass from this life will be resurrected again; unless a person doesn't believe I do not think can even stop God having faith that all will be resurrected again.

So the only deep we can go is simply reading the Bible, and talking things out with God.

Friend, may God bless you.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is Ok.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. If you are satisfied with your religiosity ... be happy. I just dissagree with you and agree with the Bible. ;)

... and :sunglasses: to your WOWs. We all can use the emoticons, they are funny. Have a good day.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, you have a good day, Elie12 thank you for your time today.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go deeper on this passage:

1 Pet. 3:18 For Christ died once for all time for sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, in order to lead you to God. He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. 19 And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

First question: What does Peter mean by saying that Jesus was "made alive in the spirit"?

The Greek verb translated "make alive" is ζῳοποιέω. It is used also in these Scriptures: 1 Cor. 15:22,23,36; John 5:21; Rom. 4:17; 8:11.

According to the use of that Greek word in those other texts: Is Peter using that verb to talk about

a) Jesus' soul being shed at his death, or
b) Jesus' resurrection on the third day?

Depending on what is understood about the meaning of that word in that passage, we will be able to "interpret" what Peter really means, and if we reason properly and honestly about the reasons why we reached that conclusion from the biblical text itself, then we will actually be closer to the truth.