What do you think it happens when Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the question: what do you think it happens when Jesus died?

Let's talk about it ... Please use the Scriptures in a smart manner, and use the logic in your argument, so we understand clearly what you believe and how you try and prove it with the Bible.

I think that when Jesus died, well, he stop being alive, because he said so here:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen (...)
2:8 (...) These things saith (...) which was dead, and is alive.

He said he was dead, and came back to life. Does it make sense to you?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let's talk about it ... Please use the Scriptures in a smart manner, and use the logic in your argument, so we understand clearly what you believe and how you try and prove it with the Bible.

I think that when Jesus died, well, he stop being alive, because he said so here:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen (...)

Is death in you view a cessation of existence, as some count it?

Is it leaving your body to be somewhere else, such as sheol/hades, as some count it?

"Death is not being alive" is as non-expressive as any tautology.

Much love!

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What Jesus said DOES NOT depend on what people believes about the death.

Did the disciples of Jesus believe the same Jesus said about being dead those three days? ... that he was just not alive somewhere else?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Jesus said DOES NOT depend on what people believes about the death.

Did the disciples of Jesus believe the same Jesus said about being dead those three days? ... that he was just not alive somewhere else?
I'm asking you to clarify what you mean, since many people use these same words meaning various different things.

If you don't want to I understand.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to mention, could you clarify what you are asking?
what do you think "it" happens, what happens?

Much love!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, first thing: when Jesus said these things:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore (...)

What did he mean when saying he WAS DEAD?

The resurrected Jesus, now in heaven, is talking to John. John remembered when he was dead three days ... and now Jesus is telling him:

"Look John, do you remember when I WAS DEAD? Look at me now; I AM ALIVE and now is forever".

What does remember John about Jesus being dead during three days?

Reactions: Brakelite

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, first thing: when Jesus said these things:

Rev. 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore (...)

What did he mean when saying he WAS DEAD?

The resurrected Jesus, now in heaven, is talking to John. John remembered when he was dead three days ... and now Jesus is telling him:

"Look John, do you remember when I WAS DEAD? Look at me now; I AM ALIVE and now is forever".

What does remember John about Jesus being dead during three days?
Intresting I think physically yes, do you think His body and soul was dead?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not say: "One part of me was dead".

He said: "I was dead".

What do you think he meant?

What part wasnt abandoned in hades in the verse below?

Since bodies don't fully die at death the cells kept living like today but without decay.

Acts 2:31
Foreseeing this, David spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that He was not abandoned to Hades, nor did His body see decay.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many "living parts" of the dead Jesus (Rev. 1:18; 2:8) do you think there were after he was killed, and where do you think each of them was?

I have heard many stories about it, all of them based on some weird interpretations of a couple of verses ... and I am very interested in counting how many Jesuses can be alive at the same time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were to word-search "dead" in the Bible, what meaning for death holds true in all cases?

If you say, the cessation of all existence,

Ephesians 2:1-2 KJV
1) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

These are people who existed.

So how exactly should we understand what death is?

And,

Matthew 17:9 KJV
9) And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

What is Jesus saying here? "the dead" is literally "the dead ones".

Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again out of the dead ones.

What does it mean to be among the dead ones? And to be risen out from them?

Do we have any examples in the Bible of "dead ones"? Some group of them, from among whom Jesus returned?

The two most frequent understandings of death are, I think, are cessation of existence, or separation. Cessation of existence doesn't seem to describe spiritual death, separation from God does.

Much love!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This topic is about Jesus being dead. I already cited what he said: I WAS DEAD, he said.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what you think he meant by that.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This topic is about Jesus being dead. I already cited what he said: I WAS DEAD, he said.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what you think he meant by that.
Is that what you meant by,

"what you think it happens", I don't know what that phrase is supposed to mean. What happened? How did it happen?

OK, what He meant by, I was dead.

They nailed Him to a cross, and He gave up His spirit. He was pronounced dead, and was buried. Three days later He returned from among the dead ones in physical resurrection. In between, He was where people are when they are dead, Sheol/Hades/the Hidden Realm.

Is that what you are looking for?

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep, he was dead just as any one of us can die and be dead.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks , Ok, that is what happened ... The disciples did not think he was somewhere alive. Jesus said to John he was not alive, but he came back to life, or in other words he came to live again.

Do you understand: in the case of Jesus this is about alive vs dead. It is not half-alive vs half-dead. This is why Jesus said I was dead ... he was totally dead. Some people don't get it. He was dead during part of three days. That is why he did not talk to his disciples anytime in between ...

It is important that people understand what does it mean that Jesus was dead. Look here:

(The Emphatsized Bible) Rom. 6:9 Knowing that Christ having been raised from among the dead no more dieth,—Death over him no more hath lordship,— 10 For in that he died unto sin died he once for all, But in that he liveth he liveth unto God.

There again: he died but now he lives. When he was dead he was not alive, until he became resurrected at the third day.

Now, tell me: how many parts of Jesus can be alive separately? Two? Three?
I already asked that question in post #12.

Another question I did is the one in the post #3.

This may be an interesting topic. There are many questions to answer, and a lot of biblical passages to quote ... The topic is the same: what happen to Jesus when he died and what his disciples thought about it.

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the disciples of Jesus think he was alive in, let's say, another realm?

I don't think so. When he was killed, they practically think IT'S OVER. They didn't even remember what he said about coming back to life at the third day.

They didn't think anything about Jesus being somewhere else without a body of flesh ... If he was somewhere else, why wouldn't he have come to comfort them, or his mother and brothers, in their loss, and to tell them that he was still alive, albeit without a physical body?

So, no, they were not thinking on that, because they understood his death some other way (Matt. 26:31,32; Zach. 13:7), differently than what some people think about it today.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks , Ok, that is what happened ... The disciples did not think he was somewhere alive. Jesus said to John he was not alive, but he came back to life, or in other words he came to live again.
Give an answer from Scripture. What did Peter say, for instance?

We can answer these questions from the Bible itself, and you should know these passages.

You take a view of death that does not agree with the Bible.

Much love!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, good point: what did Peter really say, and why some people try to give a different interpretation to his words?