What do you think of churches that promote positivity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DogMan

Jul 8, 2020
Detroit
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
These days, many churches promote porsperity and positive thinking. What do you think of these churches?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These days, many churches promote porsperity and positive thinking. What do you think of these churches?

I would say that the "positive thinking" is always a good thing but...the prosperity gospel, no...it is a false gospel. Jesus said to "sell all yo have, give it to the poor and follow me". Paul said to be content weather we are in abundance or in poverty as, we trust God for our provisions. If one is so blessed of God in a monetary way, I would say it is because He knows that person will be a good steward of HIS money and further His Kingdom with it. Not to spend on fleets of jets, rock star mansions and yachts. These teachers have had 'their consciences seared, as with a hot iron' and are taken over by the pleasures of this world and they are NOT storing up riches in heaven, but in their own greed.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would have a rather complex answer to this. I posted some responses on related threads but never followed up on it much. Since you're a new member here, I'd be glad to discuss it with you some if you like.

Some of my comments can be seen here:
The Most Contagious Disease of Christianity.
Judgment Is Executed on COVID-19: by Kenneth Copeland in Jesus's Name!! (Posts #71 and #74).

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean by positive thinking? To some it simply means believing that everything will turn out well and doesn't necessarily involve any king of faith in God. We must think positively about God and believe that he will accomplish all he has promised to do, but we need to think negatively about ourselves and recognize that our own efforts apart from God will accomplish nothing.

God has promised that those who serve him faithfully will receive a rich reward in heaven. He has promised to supply our needs while we are on earth but he promises us nothing else. The prosperity gospel perverts these promises by claiming that God has promised us that we can be wealthy here on earth. They want us to focus our attention on this life rather than on heaven.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would rather belong to a church that taught positive things rather than negative. There are too many negative people around as it is. God told us to choose life, blessings instead of curses.

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live. Deuteronomy 30:19

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would rather belong to a church that taught positive things rather than negative. There are too many negative people around as it is. God told us to choose life, blessings instead of curses.
Is there anything positive about healing people ? Raising people from death to life ?
Is there anything positive about unlimited joy, radiant joy of salvation, and unimaginable peace (not an ounce of depression) ?
Is there anything positive about continual joy and peace and righteousness ?
Living in union all the time, every day, with Jesus and with the Father ?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 6:9
But those who desire to be rich

fall into temptation,

into a snare,

into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything positive about healing people ? Raising people from death to life ?
Is there anything positive about unlimited joy, radiant joy of salvation, and unimaginable peace (not an ounce of depression) ?
Of course there is. I don't understand your reply @Joseph77.

Reactions: Nancy

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live. Deuteronomy 30:19
Of course there is. I don't understand your reply @Joseph77.

CHOOSE the groups meeting together who are full of unlimited joy, radiant joy of salvation, unimaginable peace (not an ounce of depression) , continual joy and peace and righteousness,
living in union all the day with Jesus and with the Father.

i.e. as you "would rather belong to a church that taught positive things rather than negative" ,
and all those descriptions I posted of God's People meeting together as they did in the New Testament,
NOT because they were seeking "positive" things nor teaching "positive" things....
(as if humanistic description instead of Scriptural), i.e. to clarify.... for clarity specifically True in Jesus, not 'positive' in humanism...

i.e. look for and keep looking for the meetings obedient to Scripture, continually full of peace and joy and righteousness -
not under circumstances of the world even in the worst circumstances....

The "positive" life giving , resurrection life living, people in Jesus, His Way, as the Father in heaven accomplishes this,

as written IN ACTS, EPHESIANS, PHILIPPIANS, Thessalonians, etc etc etc everyplace of and from God's Word, God's Describing Truthfully....

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
CHOOSE the groups meeting together who are full of unlimited joy, radiant joy of salvation, unimaginable peace (not an ounce of depression) , continual joy and peace and righteousness,
living in union all the day with Jesus and with the Father.

i.e. as you "would rather belong to a church that taught positive things rather than negative" ,
and all those descriptions I posted of God's People meeting together as they did in the New Testament,
NOT because they were seeking "positive" things nor teaching "positive" things....
(as if humanistic description instead of Scriptural), i.e. to clarify.... for clarity specifically True in Jesus, not 'positive' in humanism...

i.e. look for and keep looking for the meetings obedient to Scripture, continually full of peace and joy and righteousness -
not under circumstances of the world even in the worst circumstances....

The "positive" life giving , resurrection life living, people in Jesus, His Way, as the Father in heaven accomplishes this,

as written IN ACTS, EPHESIANS, PHILIPPIANS, Thessalonians, etc etc etc everyplace of and from God's Word, God's Describing Truthfully....
Ah, I think I understand now. You thought I belonged to a negative church and would rather belong to one which was positive. I already do belong to a good positive church with all the attributes you mention. I have never belonged to a negative church although I have known some negative people who tell you what you can't do rather than support you while you do it.

Reactions: Joseph77

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Positivity is good. To hold the attitude that 'I am blessed' is an appropriate attitude. Even Job, who suffered great hardships, was blessed by God. To complain about not having enough, not being popular enough, having bad luck, blaming others who make our lives difficult, these are not edifying attitudes.
Welcome here @MattMooradian :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos: I'm definitely positive that people are the best kinda folks we know, LoL.

That is, so long as animals also count as "folks." (bored today. It happens).

dog-running-on-treadmill-fail.gif

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Positivity is good. To hold the attitude that 'I am blessed' is an appropriate attitude. Even Job, who suffered great hardships, was blessed by God. To complain about not having enough, not being popular enough, having bad luck, blaming others who make our lives difficult, these are not edifying attitudes.
IF ,
it is Godly, trusting in Him,
not worldly, like humanism or human effort....

Remember Jesus said "Woe to you who are comfortable now", or something similar...
and blessed are you who are suffering now,
and let your laughter be turned to sorrow, or be miserable and mourn and weep.. in some circumstances/ positions

There's a time for , oh, as you posted "an appropriate attitude" .... yes....

Being positive in faith, blessed by God is the Way to live, no matter the circumstances ....

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We who here the Voice of Jesus, the Shepherd,
follow Jesus, and as He says, if we hear the voice of another, we flee - run from it.... yes.

The false gospels are responsible for the being cursed and destruction of many souls, just from bringing the false gospel.... (not even as if preaching it, but for bringing it, as if it was not dangerous....)

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We who here the Voice of Jesus, the Shepherd,
follow Jesus, and as He says, if we hear the voice of another, we flee - run from it.... yes.

The false gospels are responsible for the being cursed and destruction of many souls, just from bringing the false gospel.... (not even as if preaching it, but for bringing it, as if it was not dangerous....)
What, in your opinion, is the false gospel?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What, in your opinion, is the false gospel?
My opinion , like somewhere a commentary or paraphrase of the Apostles sayings once said, is of no importance.

Just from memory, they said, in harmony with all the New Testamen, God's Plan, God's Purpose, in Christ Jesus,

my opinion, your opinion, is here today and gone tomorrow (if not sooner), like the grass that grows one day is tossed in the fire the next day....

What is eternal, God's Word, is what is important.