What does being born again mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was unaware of what Jesus meant when he spoke of baptism in both Matthew 28, and Mark 16.
Note: This is not the first time Peter misunderstood His Lord.
It’s evident Peter misunderstood because Paul preached the more perfect way on baptism (See 1 Corinthians 1:17, Acts 18, and Acts 19 more closely).

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 28, and Mark 16 are slightly different from each other.
Baptize means to immerse or wash, etcetera.

In Matthew 28: Jesus was referring to baptizing them (immersing them) into the teachings or commandments in the name (authority) of all three persons of the Godhead or Trinity. In Ephesians 5:25-27, we see this washing mentioned. Christ gave himself for the church that he might cleanse and wash us with the water of the Word that He might present to himself a church that is holy, and without blemish.

In Mark 16: When Jesus says, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;” He is referring to baptized as in reference to Spirit baptism (Which happens for every believer who accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior).

1 Corinthians 12:13
“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.”

Spirit baptism is promised as the result of water baptism in Jesus' Name; in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:17, And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:18, Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
Rom 11:19, Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Rom 11:20, Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21, For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Rom 11:22, Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
Rom 11:23, And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
Rom 11:24, For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
Rom 11:25, For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

I am not boasting against the branches. I believe Israel will repent shortly before the Messiah returns.
Our continuing in his goodness is continuing to stand upon the gospel message (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and in continuing in the Sanctification of the Spirit to live a holy life. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. So if somebody were baptized and live unholy, they are not going to make it into the Kingdom. It’s not that you cannot be baptized. I am not against water baptism exactly. It’s just something of the Old Law. The problem comes into play when you say you must be baptized to be saved when the Bible does not specifically teach that. Even the thief on the cross was saved without water baptism.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was unaware of what Jesus meant when he spoke of baptism in both Matthew 28, and Mark 16.
Note: This is not the first time Peter misunderstood His Lord.
It’s evident Peter misunderstood because Paul preached the more perfect way on baptism (See 1 Corinthians 1:17, Acts 18, and Acts 19 more closely).
I am not going to strive with you further on the points you have made above; but suffice it to say that I disagree with you.

Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to guide the apostles into all truth (John 16:13).

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not boasting against the branches. I believe Israel will repent shortly before the Messiah returns.
Our continuing in his goodness is continuing to stand upon the gospel message (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and in continuing in the Sanctification of the Spirit to live a holy life. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. So if somebody were baptized and live unholy, they are not going to make it into the Kingdom. It’s not that you cannot be baptized. I am not against water baptism exactly. It’s just something of the Old Law. The problem comes into play when you say you must be baptized to be saved when the Bible does not specifically teach that. Even the thief on the cross was saved without water baptism.

Yes, that we can be saved without water baptism, seems to be the teaching of most scriptures (however I would suggest that you ask the Lord to show you what He showed me about Acts of the Apostles 2:39 and Romans 8:30).

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

I would say that Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39 contains a conditional promise and that the teaching there is that water baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save; even if it cannot be said to be the only means of salvation.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, you cannot in good conscience say that baptism is not a work (Which violates Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:2-5, Titus 3:5, and Romans 11:6).

When you think about works, you think about doing something that requires some form of effort.

Belief was accounted to Abraham for righteousness before he did a work like circumcision (Romans 4:9-12). The work of faith during that time for Abraham was circumcision. So a belief alone in our INITIAL Salvation is the point Paul is making here. You really cannot skate around this one.

Seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation is not a work because life even teaches us that to apologize to someone is not regarded as a work. For people would look at you silly if you said you had to do the work of apologizing to a friend of yours. It just does not compute or make sense. But water baptism? Yes. That’s a work. You have to make arrangements and then partake of the ceremony. That’s a work.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not going to strive with you further on the points you have made above; but suffice it to say that I disagree with you.

Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to guide the apostles into all truth (John 16:13).

At one point in time, I used to think Spirit baptism replacing water baptism was ridiculous. But when I re-read Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7, and Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26 several times more closely in prayer, I began to see that I was wrong.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe that baptism is a work.

I see it as a point of contact for faith; as a means to obtaining a conditional promise.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that we can be saved without water baptism, seems to be the teaching of most scriptures (however I would suggest that you ask the Lord to show you what He showed me about Acts of the Apostles 2:39 and Romans 8:30).

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

I would say that Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39 contains a conditional promise and that the teaching there is that water baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save; even if it cannot be said to be the only means of salvation.

Again, how were the souls saved by water?
Did the flood literally saved Noah and his family?
No. The Ark saved Noah and his family.

Baptism is compared to the flood.
Water did not literally save Noah’s soul.
The flood waters only saved Noah in the sense in that it saved him from that evil world. Noah could still be saved even if that old world still existed.
The flood waters destroying that old world from Noah’s mind is representative of our recognizing that we have been already cleansed of our past sins by seeking forgiveness with Jesus.

The Bible says the like figure whereunto even baptism does now save us. What like figure? Verse 20 refers to the global flood and how Noah was saved through water on the Ark. This is a picture of water baptism. Being water baptized does not put away sin, but it is an answer of one having an already clean conscience towards God, which is only made possible the resurrection of Christ. For when we rise out of the water in water baptism, it is symbolic of the resurrection with the old man being crucified below in the waters (when we first submerged in the water in our water baptism). Water baptism was symbolic of the real baptism (i.e. Spirit baptism) (i.e. the old man is crucified).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see it as a point of contact for faith; as a means to obtaining a conditional promise.

Being honest with yourself, you cannot in good conscience say that baptism is merely a belief alone without works as Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches.
Baptism means you have to do something. Baptism does not happen if you just believe really hard.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, how were the souls saved by water?
Did the flood literally saved Noah and his family?
No. The Ark saved Noah and his family.

Baptism is compared to the flood.
Water did not literally save Noah’s soul.
The flood waters only saved Noah in the sense in that it saved him from that evil world. Noah could still be saved even if that old world still existed.
The flood waters destroying that old world from Noah’s mind is representative of our recognizing that we have been already cleansed of our past sins by seeking forgiveness with Jesus.

The Bible says the like figure whereunto even baptism does now save us. What like figure? Verse 20 refers to the global flood and how Noah was saved through water on the Ark. This is a picture of water baptism. Being water baptized does not put away sin, but it is an answer of one having an already clean conscience towards God, which is only made possible the resurrection of Christ. For when we rise out of the water in water baptism, it is symbolic of the resurrection with the old man being crucified below in the waters (when we first submerged in the water in our water baptism). Water baptism was symbolic of the real baptism (i.e. Spirit baptism) (i.e. the old man is crucified).

Ok.

I do see what you're saying, I really do.

What do you say about water baptism being a confession of Jesus before men in identification with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection?

That because we confess Him before men in this manner, He will also confess us before the Father and before the holy angels?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Please read Romans 4:9-12 several times in prayer.
The whole here in this passage was that Abraham merely believed God first and it was accounted to him for righteousness and then AFTERWARDS he was circumcised (a work of faith). Back then, circumcision was for salvation (Genesis 17:14). But today, under the New Covenant, circumcision is not required for believers (See: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, and Galatians 5:2). Circumcision Salvationism was the whole underlying point as to why Paul talked so much about how we are initially saved by God’s grace without works. For the Jews were trying to deceive Gentile Christians into thinking they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being honest with yourself, you cannot in good conscience say that baptism is merely a belief alone without works as Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches.
Baptism means you have to do something. Baptism does not happen if you just believe really hard.

Col 2:11, In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12, Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok.

I do see what you're saying, I really do.

What do you say about water baptism being a confession of Jesus before men in identification with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection?

That because we confess Him before men in this manner, He will also confess us before the Father and before the holy angels?

I believe that confessing Jesus Christ before men is a part of our Sanctification (Which is the secondary aspect of salvation that deals with our entering the Kingdom). The 1st aspect of salvation is 100% God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ and throwing ourselves down upon His mercy (with no works whatsoever of any kind). God’s grace gets all the glory when we first are saved. I believe this is what Paul was talking about. But James says we are justified by works and not by faith alone (i.e. A Continued Faith that lives itself out and not Initial Faith).

Initial Salvation by God’s grace is different than Continue Salvation involving our Sanctification to live a holy life by the Spirit.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read Acts of the Apostles 2:39 and Romans 8:30 several times in prayer. Consider that Acts of the Apostles 2:39 declares that Acts of the Apostles 2:38 is a conditional promise that is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Col 2:11, In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12, Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

I believe water baptism was something that many in the early church had done in their initial acceptance of Christ until the apostle Paul had started to teach the more perfect way on baptism to others. I believe both Colossians 2 and Romans 6 refer to water baptism, but it is the inward reality (or working of the Spirit) is what really buried them and not the ceremony itself exactly. Romans 6:3, and Romans 6:5 compare together show that baptism is a burial and it is in the likeness of Christ’s death. Likeness is a simile or metaphor. It’s a picture or symbol that represent something else.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, baptism is an identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read Acts of the Apostles 2:39 and Romans 8:30 several times in prayer. Consider that Acts of the Apostles 2:39 declares that it is a promise (I will say conditional based on the context) that is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

I don’t believe Acts 2:39 is Calvinistic if that is what you are implying.
I believe God does call us in the right point in time in our life but it is up to us to decide of our own free will to accept Him and His word.
John 12:48 teaches that we must not only receive Jesus, but we must also receive His words. For if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day.

As for Romans 8:30:

Protestants tend to view the word “justified” as in reference to their version of Justification that was handed down from their Protestant Theologians in that it removes all penalty of sin. But this is false.

In addition to believing in the blood that saves (According to Romans 3:25), we also have to believe 1 John 1:7, too. 1 John 1:7 teaches that you have to walk in the light for the blood of Jesus to cleanse you from all sin, as well.

Anyways, the word “justified” is in reference to both being saved initially by God’s grace through faith without works (Romans 5:1-2), and by works in our continued salvation or faith via by the Sanctification by the Spirit (James 2:24) (Also see Romans 8:13, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13).

For faith starts off as a belief alone, but it does not remain that way.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, baptism is an identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

Yes, it was an OT ritual that symbolized this. But Paul says now that he came not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Nowhere does Scripture say that he had others do the duty of baptism for him while he preached the gospel. Paul in fact thanked God that he baptized none of the Corinthians except two of them (1 Corinthians 1:14). So if baptism was salvific, why would Paul be thankful that an act that is a part of our salvation was something that he was thankful to God that he did not do? This is why baptismal Salvationism does not make a whole lot of sense.