What Does Blasphemy of The Holy Spirit Actually Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Many people were being surrounded with the fear lately, from covid or from religious preaching, etc. Those fear could drag up your mind into negative energy and it will weaken your body immune. If you feel fear, move on don't even think about that fear. Believes Jesus come to the world not to condemn but to save people (John 3:16-18). The preacher that always condemn other people and make the peace away from the heart of mankind will be responsible to all weak hearted people.
If you commit a sin even Holy Spirit blasphemy just remember this verse 2 Corinthians 3. Holy Spirit blaspemy was a reminder verse that if you feels afraid when you read those scriptures it means you were under being tempted by devil, to give you a stronger heart to resist it try to go to the church or communal prayer of your church group or your friends, since 2 or 3 people praise and worship you will be healed.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is mentioned in Mark 3:22-30 and Matthew 12:22-32. This case of blasphemy is a specific one, called "the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" in Matthew 12:31. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees (who were not Christians) having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was casting out demons in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that Jesus had an unclean spirit and casts them out by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons. (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30) Jesus was very specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and these Pharisees who committed this unforgivable sin were not believers.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, you’re wrong.

Those who believe in the Trinity doctrine don't believe the Only Begotten Son of God is the Word that became human, therefore they're believing in a antichrist doctrine.. If you believe that the Only Begotten Son of God is the Word who became human then you don't believe in the Trinity doctrine.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems there were many blasphemous people then........ as now.
In Hebrews the writer says they are insulting to the Holy Spirit, trampling the blood of Jesus under foot, or something to that effect.

starting to lean toward blaspheme is claiming to love our brother when really what we seek is to kill him.

Reactions: amadeus

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
That is 100% untrue. I don't recall Jesus making any such stipulation, it was completly made up.

1.) Blasphemy AGAINST the HS = Jesus told the Pharisees who accused Him of doing His miracles by the power of the devil that this blasphemy against the holy Spirit would not be forgiven "in this world or in the world to come"..

2.) Blasphemy OF the HS = Paul said to those Hebrews in Chapter 10 who were "willfully sinning", they were "crucifying Christ afresh". This sin is the unpardonable sin, which is willful Christ rejection.

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many different "truths" here . . . but there is only one Spirit that teaches proper Truth. Are any of you concerned that you are deceived and operating from your own human understanding?

Yikes.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many different "truths" here . . . but there is only one Spirit that teaches proper Truth. Are any of you concerned that you are deceived and operating from your own human understanding?

Yikes.
Even so, many "truths" whereas in the scripture, Jesus confirms that He is Truth. Is it Him leading us through the Holy Spirit or is it our own mind or some mixture of the two? Very likely, I believe, most everyone has a mixture which is not good as we see when we consider the origins of the Samaritan people so despised by the Jews at the time Jesus walked planet Earth in Israel. They were despised, but were the Jews despising them doing better in the eyes of God?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright this thread is for others like myself who feared (I somewhat still fear) that they might have accidentally blasphemed against the Holy Spirit. That means hardening your heart and rejecting Christ right, not accidentally thinking things against the Holy Spirit or perhaps that Jesus wasn't really God and that He was of the devil. (I repented after thinking these thoughts that I most certainly did not mean and I can't help but still being a bit worried. I think if I'm worried about it I didn't commit the unforgivable sin though right?)
I think the unpardonable sin is for folks that say the works of God are demonic, but they never repent in their lifetimes. 3000 murderers of Jesus even obeyed Acts 2:38 at Pentecost. They repented.

Reactions: April_Rose

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright this thread is for others like myself who feared (I somewhat still fear) that they might have accidentally blasphemed against the Holy Spirit. That means hardening your heart and rejecting Christ right, not accidentally thinking things against the Holy Spirit or perhaps that Jesus wasn't really God and that He was of the devil. (I repented after thinking these thoughts that I most certainly did not mean and I can't help but still being a bit worried. I think if I'm worried about it I didn't commit the unforgivable sin though right?)

Hi April:

First let me assure that no one can "accidently" blaspheme the Spirit.
Second the sin as shown in Matthew 12 is not an individual sin but a national sin only Israel could commit and only when Jesus was there!

Let me explain as brief as possible. Let us post the passage.

Matthew 12:22-32
King James Version

22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Up to this point, Jesus and the disciples were announcing the kingdom long promised to Israel had arrived. All of Jesus miracle had been open and public and done to establish to the people of Israel that Jesus was indeed the Messiah.

Jesus even performed three specific miracles that were called Messianic miracles or that only Messiah could do when he came. All three have particular commentaries avbou them in the Scriptures because they were the 3 Messianic miracles.

1. Healing of a Jewish Leper. Up to this point no Israeli had ever been healed of leprosy. Gentiles had as chronicled in the OT, but never a Jew. So it became a teaching tradition that only Messiah would be able to heal a Jewish Leper. Jesus healed 10. Luke 17.

2. Healing of a man born blind. John 9. It was jewish belief that if one was born blind, either their parents or teh baby in the womb sinned to be caused to be born blind. This also became a tradition that only Messiah could heal.

3. Another Miracle that was not a Messianic miracle but one that was never before seen was the raising of Lazarus. John 11. Verse 39 MArtha told Jesus he had been dead 4 days and probably stinks. Jews believed the sould was attached to the body by a cord for three days where they could come back from the dead, but at the end of 3 days the cord was cut and they could no longer live. Jesus raised Lazarus. That is why from that point the Pharisees also sought to kill Lazarus as well as Jesus.

4. Casting a demon out of a deaf and dumb man. Jews could cast out demons, as even Jesus said. They had to communicate with the demon, gets it name (as Jesus did with Legion) and then were able to cast them out. But from one who could not speak- only Messiah would be able to do that!

So after Jesus cast the demon out , He had performed all three messianic miracles which is why the crowds in Matt. 12 said "Is not this the Son of David"? Which was a rhetorical question. Son of David was a messianic title and they were really looking for confirmation from the Pharisees as they had been taught their lives that only Messiah could do this!

Instead the Pharisees answered saying Jesus cast out demons by Beelzebub, the prince of demons. This is what the blasphemy of the spirit is. It is attributing the miracles of Jesus to demonic power and not the Holy Spirit. This is also not an individual sin, but a national sin that only Israel in the time of Jesus could commit.

Jesus pronounced judgment on "that generation". It was unforgivable meaning the judgment was set and would happen no matter what. That judgment was the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in 70AD. 1.1 million Jews were estimated to be killed then. The judgment is spelled out in Luke 21:

Luke 21:20-24
King James Version

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

there is much more info on this. I tried to just highlight it for brevity's sake. I hope this helps.

Ron

P.S. Just scrolled through the answers to date and Christiphany also adds lots more and important info about this monumental thing the Pharisees did and the consequences.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the Holy Spirit is the Presence of God, Jesus says God is a Spirit. so just as your flesh is your presence in the world so is the Holy Spirit God's Presence. should you deny God's Presence, there you are. so you're very close or just saying it differently.

one should understand that God gave man His place in the earth, to execute His Judgements in the earth (which is Life by the way) so should you deny that, its unforgivable. because God has right of way in your life He's given you, in His creation. one must have God's Presence to be saved from the condemnation.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is 100% untrue. I don't recall Jesus making any such stipulation, it was completly made up. I'd ask that the poster who makes that claim to prove it, please?

Actually, they're correct in my book. Somebody who truly loves Christ would never harden their hearts from Him. @Josho has a point as well,.. Satanists have found the Lord and they have done much worse things than I have.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, they're correct in my book. Somebody who truly loves Christ would never harden their hearts from Him. @Josho has a point as well,.. Satanists have found the Lord and they have done much worse things than I have.

My "book" is the bible, and it states very simply what this is. it's so simple, at least before man gets a hold of it, that the answer to what it is, is right there in the description/what it is called...blasphemy Of The Holy Spirit. So instead of trying to explain it away, the most we need to do is simply define the term Blasphemy, but most already know what that means, at which point, it's self explanatory.

One thing I noticed, Christ never once says we will go to hell for doing that, and though I am familliar with scripture that states all our sins must beforgiven in order to get to heaven, when I read the many lists of damnable sins in the bible, it never once mentions that one.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2.) Blasphemy OF the HS = Paul said to those Hebrews in Chapter 10 who were "willfully sinning", they were "crucifying Christ afresh". This sin is the unpardonable sin, which is willful Christ rejection.

Will you please post the exact scripture? Or are we to take your word for it? And why are you defying Christ who is clear what the unforgivable sin is? He states specifically what that sin is, while you run to other scripture altogether and make up some nonsense and call that the unforgivable sin? Why so reckless and untruthful about the word of God? Here, read it for yourself, and notice not only did you not post exact scripture so we can prove you out, it seems there is no mention of the unforgivable sin in the scripture you refer to. Again, will you please post your exact verses here, and lets see if your disagreement with Christ is correct?

Matthew 12:30-32: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, any sin and blasphemy can be forgiven. But blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

How simple and clear is that?

One might think from hanging around these boards, that some have written their own bible.

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would one who is from above, the Indestructible Seed, the one whose name is registered in Heaven before their own death . . . why would that Incorruptible Seed ever blasphemy the Holy Spirit? It won't. Those who are from above, will return to the above.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To wrap this post up, I believe someone who has committed the act of Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would not even want to repent, there hearts would be very hardened and stubborn like the Pharisees who committed the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in Matthew chapter 12.

Why would you make up your own rules about this?

John 6:37 substantiates his pov here.

I don't believe in no antichrist trinity doctrine. Those who believe in the Trinity doctrine deny that the Only Begotten Son of God is the Word who became human.

How do you figure? I believe in the Trinity and I believe that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.

If you believe that the Only Begotten Son of God is the Word who became human then you don't believe in the Trinity doctrine.

That is not true; for I believe in the Trinity and I believe that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.

In the beginning was the Word; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God (John 1:1).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT,

It appears that your understanding of the Bible has been corrupted by a faulty translation of the Bible.

Are you aware that the Watchtower Society, which came out with the New World Translation, is guilty of many false prophecies that they have prophesied falsely over the years? Just google "Watchtower false prophecies" and you will have your eyes opened.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You really are oblivios to what "comes to me" includes? Are you really saying we can come to christ and ignore all he tells us we must do in order to get to heaven?

Coming to Christ entails so much more than the simple minded "Just say I have faith" but if you all want to teach a dumed down, more soothing, untrue, version of "coming to Christ" where you dont have to do as he commands, that's up to you, but hope you are ready for the consequences.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you figure? I believe in the Trinity and I believe that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.

That is not true; for I believe in the Trinity and I believe that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.

In the beginning was the Word; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God (John 1:1).
Tell me then justbyfaith what does John 1:1 mean to you then. When it says at verse 1 of John chapter 1, in the beginning was the Word, do you believe that means, "in the beginning was The Only Begotten Son of God?" Then when it says, and the Word was with God, do you believe that means, "and the Only Begotten Son of God was with God?" Then when it says, and the Word was God, do you believe that means, "and the The Only Begotten Son of God was a god?"