What Does Blasphemy of The Holy Spirit Actually Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright this thread is for others like myself who feared (I somewhat still fear) that they might have accidentally blasphemed against the Holy Spirit. That means hardening your heart and rejecting Christ right, not accidentally thinking things against the Holy Spirit or perhaps that Jesus wasn't really God and that He was of the devil. (I repented after thinking these thoughts that I most certainly did not mean and I can't help but still being a bit worried. I think if I'm worried about it I didn't commit the unforgivable sin though right?)
1 Timothy 1:13 KJV
[13] Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
Paul was a Pharisee.

Reactions: April_Rose

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@April_Rose
Kill any babies for Jesus lately?
Not even an orgy for God?

Told anyone that Jesus was a liar? A fraud? Just after your money? Or that God/Jesus was mean?

Then you got nothing to worry about.
Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord have we not done many mighty works in your name'

We create boxes....and then presume to tick them thinking this is saying something. Be careful.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright this thread is for others like myself who feared (I somewhat still fear) that they might have accidentally blasphemed against the Holy Spirit. That means hardening your heart and rejecting Christ right, not accidentally thinking things against the Holy Spirit or perhaps that Jesus wasn't really God and that He was of the devil. (I repented after thinking these thoughts that I most certainly did not mean and I can't help but still being a bit worried. I think if I'm worried about it I didn't commit the unforgivable sin though right?)
The word "blaspheme" means to talk or speak evil against.
Mark 3:29
Strong's 988:
βλασφημέω
to vilify; specially, to speak impiously

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "blaspheme" means to talk or speak evil against.
Mark 3:29
Strong's 988:
βλασφημέω
to vilify; specially, to speak impiously
I’ve came to the opinion that also to attribute works to the Holy Spirit that aren’t is also blasphemous.
Typically this is also done in ignorance.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Start with this: Someone who has never known God, I believe, cannot blaspheme the Holy Spirit. If this were true it would give us an idea what blaspheming the Holy Spirit is Not! Then again, no one accidently blasphemes the Holy Spirit. No one is accidently lost to the salvation of God.

Being dead is not blasphemy! All unbelievers who have never been anything but unbelievers with regard to God are dead if their first parents were Adam and Eve from the Book of Genesis. They are simply dead and will remain so until and if they take hold of the Life, which Jesus brought.

Any input on 1 Timothy 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

1 Timothy 1:20 Lexicon: Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.

Also reminds me of: 1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any input on 1 Timothy 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

1 Timothy 1:20 Lexicon: Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.

Also reminds me of: 1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Seems there were many blasphemous people then........ as now.
In Hebrews the writer says they are insulting to the Holy Spirit, trampling the blood of Jesus under foot, or something to that effect.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks guys I was mostly worried because I have spoken badly about the Holy Spirit in a sudden moment of rage without thinking, and I do mostly believe that I was forgiven,.. but lately today I keep getting these nagging thoughts of I was never forgiven after all. :(

The evil one likes to make people think they aren't forgiven. As for your OP id you worried you didn't blaspheme, you see if you really did blaspheme you wouldn't care. :)

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a Bible study site that may help you. :) God Bless.
What Is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and Is This Sin Unforgiveable?
[sic]"...Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when you take the true work of the Holy Spirit and you speak evil of it, attributing his work to the devil. I don't believe this is a one-time thing, but it is an ongoing rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit, of over and over again attributing his precious work to Satan himself."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Both of those verses speak of blasphemy, but are their sins unforgivable...?

"If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it." I John 5:16

What is the sin unto death? Jesus spoke of it but is seemingly some disagreement about to whom the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit applies. When is it that we really know so much and in spite of that knowledge decide to go ahead and do a wrong thing and it is the straw that effectively breaks the camel's back? consider the difference between Moses who for one rebellion was kept out of the Promised Land but of multitude following him, 600,000 less 2, it was only after 10 rebellions that they were kept out.

"Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink." Num 20:8

"And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?
And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them." Num 20:10-12

But then...

"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;
Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:" Numbers 14:22-23

Moses was punished after one rebellion when he smote the rock instead speaking to it, whereas the 600,000 were punished was not determined until after the 10th rebellion. The difference was that Moses knew a whole more than those others. He had a whole lot more from God. Remember here the words of Jesus: "Much is given... much is required"!

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

What was the reward or punishment for those in the verses @VictoryinJesus which you cited? What was it for Moses? What was it for the 600,000 children of Israel?

What is to be for the blasphemer against the Holy Spirit? Once we have repented and started to walk God [filled with the Holy Spirit?] how bad of a mistake [a rebellion against God] or how many mistakes [rebellions] are allowed before there is no more room for repentance and we remain always without God?

"Much is given... much is required"! Combine that perhaps with this:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." I Cor 10:13

How much have we received from God what have we done... or Not done with what we have received? May we 'badmouth' God early in our walk and still find forgiveness? Yes, I believe so, but I would not want to try to draw a line showing what my limit or anyone else's limit was...

Reactions: Triumph1300

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The evil one likes to make people think they aren't forgiven. As for your OP id you worried you didn't blaspheme, you see if you really did blaspheme you wouldn't care. :)

I don't you think that you meant that I was worried that I didn't blaspheme because I was worried that I did but that's really good news though since I definitely care whenever I defy God and sin. I care so much that I can't go on with anything else until I repent of it. The devil still likes to plant doubts in my mind though from time to time of am I really saved when I did this, this, and this,.. but I have news for him,.. John 3:16 says otherwise. :D

Reactions: friend of

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has to be an intentional act with no remorse or repentance for it to be unforgiven.

Mary

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both of those verses speak of blasphemy, but are their sins unforgivable...?

not trying to limit anyone or draw a line. Just an opinion but think 1 Timothy 1:20 Lexicon: Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.

And: 1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Both connect (possibly)to what He said in
Luke 16:9 Lexicon: "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings.

the question (I’m sorry I wasn't clear) was regarding “so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.” Taught of who? I’m embarrassed to ask but of satan or of God? It is the ‘whom I have handed over to satan’ There is a verse 1 Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Been thinking about the “so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.” how can you be taught not to blaspheme when half the time most are not even sure what blaspheme is? Honestly, I don’t know for sure what it is ...does that mean I have more being taught not to do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit is attributing the works of God to the devil.

Matthew 12:24
"24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.”

"22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.” 23 And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "--
3:28–29

Just the fact that Jesus said those words right after casting out demons and right after the Pharisees claimed Him to be doing these things in the devils power and not where it truly came from, the Holy Spirit. Don't know if that makes sense to you but, it seems right to me... :)

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose

You don't have the time to worry about what you have or have not done. The single most important event in your life must take place, and it is the lifting of the Curse of Adam and Eve from your heart. Nothing else matters . . . not even the fodder that is discussed here. It is all nonsense and jibberish if we do not Lift our Hearts to Christ for the Circumcision of the Curse of Adam and Eve. You can learn all you want about the Bible, and possess all knowledge, but if that Curse remains attached to your Heart . . . the Devil will be your father and there isn't anything you can do about it.

You must learn and know Colossians 2:9-15. I am begging that you would KNOW those seven verses!

[Edit - I forgot to add a smiley face to keep things a little "less heavy."] :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy