What does Law mean Biblically?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're told in The New Testament that all of God's laws are summed up in that one commandment to love thy neighbor as thyself
So now you are arguing my point I initially posted that you argued against. You just want to argue. Go your way, we are done.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So go on, keep think that all of God's laws are now dead.
Never said they are dead...made that point specifically clear. Again I said that over 200 times the Old Testament said they are forever. That is what I said. But now they only pertain to those in that covenant...the Jews.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's law is to keep His Commandments.

We are not under the condemnation of the law anymore.
We can keep God's commandments seperate from the law.

God says, Do this.
The law says, if you don't Do this, then that will happen.

So remove the law..
And we can still Do this. Nothing ever stopped us from Doing this.
But the law turned not doing it into a burden.

We are not under the law.
Jesus removed the burden of it.

We should still Do It, even though we are not under the burden of not doing it,
it is the right thing to do.

Because the commandments are in the heart, the law is on paper.
The paper is gone now, and what remains is your heart.

So Do the right thing.
Keep His Commandments.
Love God. Love one another.

Amen
Hugs

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's law is to keep His Commandments.

We are not under the condemnation of the law anymore.
We can keep God's commandments seperate from the law.

God says, Do this.
The law says, if you don't Do this, then that will happen.

So remove the law..
And we can still Do this. Nothing ever stopped us from Doing this.
But the law turned not doing it into a burden.

We are not under the law.
Jesus removed the burden of it.

We should still Do It, even though we are not under the burden of not doing it,
it is the right thing to do.

Because the commandments are in the heart, the law is on paper.
The paper is gone now, and what remains is your heart.

So Do the right thing.
Keep His Commandments.
Love God. Love one another.

Amen
Hugs

The Law does not pertain to Christians.
Messing around with them can get you into trouble. Christ said you cannot mix theses two religions or you will ruin them both. Paul said that if you are trying to be justified by the law you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace. Paul spent a good part of his ministry struggling with those that were trying to put Christians back under the law. And this is what the first Christian council between James and Paul was about.
See post #68 of this thread.
Learn the moralities of Christ and the Apostles....and you are set.
Be good and do good.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law does not pertain to Christians
Are you lawless then?

God commands us to:
1. Love Him
2. Love Him
3. Love him
4. Love Him AND your neighbor
5. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
6. Love your neighbor as you love yourself
7. Love your neighbor as you love yourself
8. Love your neighbor as you love yourself
9. Love your Neighbor as you love yourself
10. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

On these two hang all the law and the prophets.

Do these two pertain to Christians?
God Bless
HUGS

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So now you are arguing my point I initially posted that you argued against. You just want to argue. Go your way, we are done.

So your point STILL INCLUDED many of God's laws from the Old Testament with that love thy neighbor as thyself? What you wrote instead seemed to do away with all those other laws still in effect today under Christ Jesus.

Rom 13:9
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

KJV

Look up that word "comprehended" and you'll find it means to 'sum up' in the Greek.

That means, ALL... those laws mentioned there are SUMMED UP by the commandment to love thy neighbor as thyself. It does not mean those other laws are done away with. The passage simply means that by loving thy neighbor as thyself, you won't be guilty of breaking those other laws.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never said they are dead...made that point specifically clear. Again I said that over 200 times the Old Testament said they are forever. That is what I said. But now they only pertain to those in that covenant...the Jews.

Wait a minute. You contradict yourself by that last statement bro. By that last statement are you inferring that those laws do not apply to us today, Christ's Church? If you say yes, that they don't apply to us, then you still are not understanding what Apostle Paul taught in 1 Timothy 1 and Galatians 5 about the law.

Apostle Paul taught that IF... we walk by The Spirit, then we won't be breaking any of God's laws, and that is Christian doctrine (Galatians 5). It does not mean those laws against the sins he listed are dead. It only means 'we' are 'dead' to the law only IF... we walk by The Spirit, and that means not breaking them, because like he said, to walk by The Spirit means NOT doing anything that is against God's laws.

In 1 Timothy 1, Paul further defined why many of God's laws are still in effect in Christian society. It's for the sinners, lawless, the godless, the wicked. Those laws are given by God to us Christians also, so we might live in peace and prosperity, instead of allowing the lawless and murderers to run loose in the streets.

So when you see a policeman, thank him for his service, AND THANK GOD especially for providing the police force for our protection against the lawless, murderers, godless wicked.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait a minute. You contradict yourself by that last statement bro. By that last statement are you inferring that those laws do not apply to us today, Christ's Church? If you say yes, that they don't apply to us, then you still are not understanding what Apostle Paul taught in 1 Timothy 1 and Galatians 5 about the law.

No, they in no way apply to Christians. Our religion is not based on laws...period. Not literally or philosophically or even by concept or metaphor. We have already exchanged scriptures on this and by the most simpleton standards, a full house beats a pair. But in truth that does not matter. I have discussed this on the forum several times. How many people, about how many topics, for how long on this forum have been throwing opposing scriptures at each other, a lot of times from the same person without giving it thought that they should figure out why and how opposing scriptures can come from the same person...and what does that fact mean?

Then there are people like you that want to cherry pick a few scriptures to weave together a religion. That method of formulating beliefs, comes up with the the weirdest of beliefs, that is how cults are formed. Sometimes the scriptures can be better understood by looking at the basic storyline. In this case the Judaizers and others like them harassed Paul's ministry trying to push Judaism and the Law on them. This went on until Paul called a meeting in Jerusalem and it was settled there. The bottom line is if you were back in the biblical era, you would be standing with the enemies of Paul and Christ because Christ already warned that mixing Judaism and Christianity would ruin both.

Acts 14:19
Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.

Acts 15:5
But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to keep the Law of Moses.”

Acts 17:5
But the Jews, becoming jealous and taking along some wicked men from the marketplace, formed a mob and set the city in an uproar; and they attacked the house of Jason and were seeking to bring them out to the people. When they did not find them, they began dragging Jason and some brothers before the city authorities, shouting, “These men who have upset the world have come here also;

Acts 17:13
But when the Jews of Thessalonica found out that the word of God had been proclaimed by Paul in Berea also, they came there as well, agitating and stirring up the crowds.

Acts 21:27-28
When the seven days were almost over, the Jews from Asia, upon seeing him in the temple, began to stir up all the crowd and laid hands on him, crying out, “Men of Israel, help! This is the man who instructs everyone everywhere against our people and the Law and this place; and besides, he has even brought Greeks into the temple and has defiled this holy place!”

Galatians 2:4 This matter arose because some false believers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.

Paul's understandings of the Law is made clear in the scriptures he wrote, calling them a curse, a ministry of death and made it clear that looking to them would separate you from Christ and you would fall from grace. The old covenant was made obsolete by the new covenant...and the old covenant was ready to disappear....That Christ had set us free and we should stand firm and not be subject again to a yoke of slavery....I, Paul, tell you that if you have yourselves circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. And I testify again to every man who has himself circumcised, that he is obligated to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace...That Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law....That the Law was a tutor but now that we have faith, we do not need a tutor....but Paul made reference to those that wanted to be under the law...saying that if you are led by the spirit you are not under the law....Then he goes on to say over and over again that we are not under the law....we are released from the law...and that Christ was the end of the law....But Paul wanted to win those that were under the law...

Paul made it clear that we are not under the law in anyway and that the law was inferior to Christ's teachings. Hebrew 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.

2nd Corinthians 3:7-18 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory.

Hebrews 8:13
When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Galatians 5:1-4
It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Look! I, Paul, tell you that if you have yourselves circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. And I testify again to every man who has himself circumcised, that he is obligated to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.

Galatians 3:12 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.

Galatians 3:24-26 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the Law?

Romans 4:15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, neither is there violation.

Romans 5:13 For until the Law sin was in the world; sin is not “imputed” when there is no Law.

Galatians 5:18 But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the Law.

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the law, but under grace & 18 Being then free from sin, you become the servants of righteousness.

Romans 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Romans 7:8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath you free from the law of sin and death.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

1st John3:6: Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1st Cor. 9:20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, through not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law;

2nd Cor. 3:3 being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.

Hebrews 10:1 For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never by the same sacrifices year by year, which they offer continually, make perfect those who draw near.

Hebrews 10:4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

Act 13:38-39 Paul said, Therefore let it be known to you brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses.

Last edited: