What does Our Savior consider Idolatry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Scriptures themselves put Sacred Tradition ON PAR with Scripture:
congrats then, you have two idols instead of one. At least until you can quote either two as being Holy, which neither is.
Roman Catholicism, the Bible, and Tradition | Christian Apologetics ...
Roman Catholicism, the Bible, and Tradition | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
(Par. 77). "This living transmission, accomplished through the Holy Spirit, is called tradition . . . " (Par. 78). "Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence." (Par. 82).
Sacred Tradition ON PAR with Scripture - Google Search

So then how much plainer could it be? Catholics promote worship of tradition and worship of the Bible.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
congrats then, you have two idols instead of one. At least until you can quote either two as being Holy, which neither is.
Roman Catholicism, the Bible, and Tradition | Christian Apologetics ...
Roman Catholicism, the Bible, and Tradition | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
(Par. 77). "This living transmission, accomplished through the Holy Spirit, is called tradition . . . " (Par. 78). "Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence." (Par. 82).
Sacred Tradition ON PAR with Scripture - Google Search

So then how much plainer could it be? Catholics promote worship of tradition and worship of the Bible.
The Catholic Church worships neither Tradition NOR the Bible.
Why would you tell a ridiculous, unfounded lie like that?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thess. 2:15 assures us that NOT everything was written down in Scripture - and was never meant to be.

The Church was given Supreme Authority by Christ Himself. The lessons taught by the apostles may not have been written down in Scripture - but they were handed down to their successors.

For instance - the bible doesn't tells us HOW to perform a Baptism. Jesus gives us the formula in Matt. 28:19 - but the WAY to Baptize a person is never explained.
HOWEVER, we read in the 1st century document, The Didache (The Teachings of the Twelve Apostles) exactly how the process is done.

This is Sacred Tradition.
The Canon of Scripture is another one.

Well! from what I am aware of about the Pharisees, which are now called Orthodox Jews , Claim a similar attribute! they claim that Moses was given the written word! and the Oral word which only Moses handed down to the Priests, which again handed it down to the Pharisees and on up to this day, so now only the Pharisees can interpret the Scriptures, for what they rely mean!!!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well! from what I am aware of about the Pharisees, which are now called Orthodox Jews , Claim a similar attribute! they claim that Moses was given the written word! and the Oral word which only Moses handed down to the Priests, which again handed it down to the Pharisees and on up to this day, so now only the Pharisees can interpret the Scriptures, for what they rely mean!!!
Well, you wouldn't know which Books belong in the Bible had it not been for the Church.
You wouldn't know how to perform a Baptism if it weren't for the Church - so don't be so quick to dismiss its God-given Authority.

Anyway - the Pharisees were the Pharisees - and the Church is the Church.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Irish and the mystics are the only hope for Catholic legalism......our theology is being scorched by fundamentalism, in the wider world and right here.....

Reactions: bbyrd009

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you wouldn't know which Books belong in the Bible had it not been for the Church.
You wouldn't know how to perform a Baptism if it weren't for the Church - so don't be so quick to dismiss its God-given Authority.

Anyway - the Pharisees were the Pharisees - and the Church is the Church.

I will express this again! I AM GRATEFUL for the Cannon of Scripture that we Have, But we as Servants Of the Most High should be Centered on God and Savior First, and not an Organization of Faith. As you Have expressed that we as Protestants are being Brainwashed by Preachers and so on, I have never slandered the Catholic Church, I have only tried to express that there are thing's that I believe go against what God would find except-able!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will express this again! I AM GRATEFUL for the Cannon of Scripture that we Have, But we as Servants Of the Most High should be Centered on God and Savior First, and not an Organization of Faith. As you Have expressed that we as Protestants are being Brainwashed by Preachers and so on, I have never slandered the Catholic Church, I have only tried to express that there are thing's that I believe go against what God would find except-able!
You are "grateful" for the Canon of Scripture - yet you reject the Authority and Sacred Traditions of the Catholic Church - ONE of them being the Canon of Scripture.
This is complete hypocrisy on your part.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Irish and the mystics are the only hope for Catholic legalism......our theology is being scorched by fundamentalism, in the wider world and right here.....
Care to elaborate on that comment?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are "grateful" for the Canon of Scripture - yet you reject the Authority and Sacred Traditions of the Catholic Church - ONE of them being the Canon of Scripture.
This is complete hypocrisy on your part.

There you go! making a slanderous statement toward Me, As I have what God Call's Free Will, I "Will" not to except the Authority of Your Church, I have the right to except what God's word say"s, and also what Our Savior said, Matthew 5, this is where Yeshua began to teach His Disciples. It states that when He, Our savior saw the multitude he went up on the Mountain, and His Disciples came to Him and that HE began to Teach, It Is written!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There you go! making a slanderous statement toward Me, As I have what God Call's Free Will, I "Will" not to except the Authority of Your Church, I have the right to except what God's word say"s, and also what Our Savior said, Matthew 5, this is where Yeshua began to teach His Disciples. It states that when He, Our savior saw the multitude he went up on the Mountain, and His Disciples came to Him and that HE began to Teach, It Is written!
And where is the list of Books that make up the Bible written in Scripture?

It's hypocrisy to accept the Canon of Scripture as declared by the Catholic Church as Authoritative - while rejecting the Church's Authority in the first place. Either you reject the Church's God-given Authority or you don't.

You can't have it both ways without being a hypocrite . . .

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And where is the list of Books that make up the Bible written in Scripture?

It's hypocrisy to accept the Canon of Scripture as declared by the Catholic Church as Authoritative - while rejecting the Church's Authority in the first place. Either you reject the Church's God-given Authority or you don't.

You can't have it both ways without being a hypocrite . . .

The Scriptures were written long before the Catholic Church got their hands on them. Moses, the Prophets, and the Apostles wrote all of Scripture, therefore the word of God was already transmitted to mankind! and to except what I have as Scripture, and believe in what I read is not hypocrisy. But if you think it is that is on you, I believe that by Gods Spirit I have been lead to an understanding, without any Organization of Authority, Messiah is the Head of Man, Man is the Head of His woman, and God is the Head of Messiah, which I believe to be the only order of Authority except-able to God. I am only a Hypocrite according to you and or your Church!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scriptures were written long before the Catholic Church got their hands on them. Moses, the Prophets, and the Apostles wrote all of Scripture, therefore the word of God was already transmitted to mankind! and to except what I have as Scripture, and believe in what I read is not hypocrisy. But if you think it is that is on you, I believe that by Gods Spirit I have been lead to an understanding, without any Organization of Authority, Messiah is the Head of Man, Man is the Head of His woman, and God is the Head of Messiah, which I believe to be the only order of Authority except-able to God. I am only a Hypocrite according to you and or your Church!
And WHO told you that these Books were Scripture??
WHO
told the WORLD that these Books were Scripture??

Answer: It was the Catholic Church, guided by the Holy Spirit.
So, again - WHY do you accept the Church's Authority to declare the Canon of Scripture but reject all other Authority??

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And WHO told you that these Books were Scripture??
WHO
told the WORLD that these Books were Scripture??

Answer: It was the Catholic Church, guided by the Holy Spirit.
So, again - WHY do you accept the Church's Authority to declare the Canon of Scripture but reject all other Authority??

Again!!! It won't make any difference what my answer is, it will not satisfy you! you see I am not beholden to any Authority other than My Savior, Sooooo will you continue to ask the same question over and over again, or will you realize that this is going nowhere, and is of no significance.
As far as I am concerned whatever you lay claim to, Have at it! I only claim to Love God and Savior, and without Them you would be without Scripture. Time to give God the Glory for what we have. Selah

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if the point of short falls in doctrine found in every church is to foster compassion for each other and ultimately unity?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again!!! It won't make any difference what my answer is, it will not satisfy you! you see I am not beholden to any Authority other than My Savior, Sooooo will you continue to ask the same question over and over again, or will you realize that this is going nowhere, and is of no significance.
As far as I am concerned whatever you lay claim to, Have at it! I only claim to Love God and Savior, and without Them you would be without Scripture. Time to give God the Glory for what we have. Selah
So, you have NO idea who told you that Scripture is inspired.
You have NO idea that those very Scriptures show that Jesus gave His Church Supreme Authority - and that the Holy Spirit would guide it to ALL truth.

You can't have "God and Savior" without His Church, which is His Body.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if the point of short falls in doctrine found in every church is to foster compassion for each other and ultimately unity?
Unity in what? Errors?
Yep. Unity in falibility
We already have that in the tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering factions of Protestantism which ALL teach different doctrines - yet ALL claim to have the "Truth" . . .

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We already have that in the tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering factions of Protestantism which ALL teach different doctrines - yet ALL claim to have the "Truth" . . .

That would seem to illustrate the opposite point from what i posted