What does Our Savior consider Idolatry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's good to have goals, but unity in the tendency to make mistakes or being wrong shouldn't be one of them.

But that's just me...

Yes....ego often gets in the way

Reactions: bbyrd009

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unity in what? Errors?

Jesus hung out with sinners because they knew they were falible......it was the Pharisees that refused to acknowledge their falibility

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you have NO idea who told you that Scripture is inspired.
You have NO idea that those very Scriptures show that Jesus gave His Church Supreme Authority - and that the Holy Spirit would guide it to ALL truth.

You can't have "God and Savior" without His Church, which is His Body.

Again you and or your Church did not write them!!! as for your claim of putting them together great, but know you are saying without the Catholic Church I am not part of the Body, sounds like the JWs, and the Latter day Saints to me, we are the only way!! PLEASE Ya right. where in the Scriptures is it said that the Catholic Church is the definite article???

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament was assembled by the Jewish people......but the cake is so delicious!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
That would seem to illustrate the opposite point from what i posted
shouldn't this be a clue that we seek unity from the wrong quarter? Or that we got the model wrong iow? Is there any wonder that the congregation model is melting, if that is what it produces? Isn't that basically what "Christians" are known for? A jaundiced eye?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Old Testament was assembled by the Jewish people......but the cake is so delicious!
and the ending seems to be completely ignored, lol, right. The joke inherent in "We are God's chosen people" writing an account wherein the ending includes their nation being wiped off the map is just not absorbed, for some reason.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would seem to illustrate the opposite point from what i posted
Not at all because although they are disjointed and perpetually-splintering - they share a unity in their rebellion against the Catholic Church, which is the fullness of truth (Eph. 1:22-23).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again you and or your Church did not write them!!! as for your claim of putting them together great, but know you are saying without the Catholic Church I am not part of the Body, sounds like the JWs, and the Latter day Saints to me, we are the only way!! PLEASE Ya right. where in the Scriptures is it said that the Catholic Church is the definite article???
That's not what I said.
I simply asked you WHY you adhere to a Canon of Scripture that was declared by the Authority of the Catholic Church - when you reject that Authority.

You have posted angry response after angry response - but you just can't seem to answer this question.
NO Protestant has EVER been able to answer it on this forum - let alone the anti-Catholic ones like you . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then, why do Protestants reject 7 Books from the open Jewish Canon of the 1st century?

Why do you adhere to the POST-Christ, POST-Temple canon that was closed by a rabbinical assembly AFTER Jesus died, rose and ascended to Heaven - and NOT the one that Jesus and the NT writers studied from and quoted and referenced over 150 times in the NT??

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK.... I'm late in the thread here but to answer the OP, the Savior considers Christmas as idolatry. While my wife and family celebrate it and put up decorations, I ask forgiveness about them (i.e. the decorations) and tag along. It's like that fellow Naaman who asked forgiveness when he took his master into the house of his god and he had to bow with him Elisha forgave him in the name of the Lord. I take comfort in that. When they come to their senses, I will take down the xmas tree they want. Now BreadofLife forgive me, but what 7 books are you referring to?

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK.... I'm late in the thread here but to answer the OP, the Savior considers Christmas as idolatry. While my wife and family celebrate it and put up decorations, I ask forgiveness about them (i.e. the decorations) and tag along. It's like that fellow Naaman who asked forgiveness when he took his master into the house of his god and he had to bow with him Elisha forgave him in the name of the Lord. I take comfort in that. When they come to their senses, I will take down the xmas tree they want. Now BreadofLife forgive me, but what 7 books are you referring to?

Could you explain how/why Jesus considers Christmas as idolatry? Is anybody celebrating Christmas an idolater?

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand people who consider the celebration of the birth of our Lord as something "evil" or "pagan" or "idolatrous".
There's just no logic in that kind of thinking.

As for the 7 missing Books of the OT from Protestant Bible, they are:
Sirach
Tobit
Wisdom
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Baruch

portions of Daniel and Esther

There are known as the Deuterocanonical Books - but in Protestant circles, they have been relegated as "Apocrypha", which is false.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you explain how/why Jesus considers Christmas as idolatry? Is anybody celebrating Christmas an idolater?

Because Christmas was Christianized from the pagan feast of Saturnalia. In addition, Jeremiah 10 warns about not learning the ways of the heathen, with the xmas tree. Jeremiah 10:1-5. That's just a start.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand people who consider the celebration of the birth of our Lord as something "evil" or "pagan" or "idolatrous".

Sirach
Tobit
Wisdom
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Baruch

There are known as the Deuterocanonical Books - but in Protestant circles, they have been relegated as "Apocrypha", which is false.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sirach
Tobit
Wisdom
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Baruch

I accept those books. So what is it about them that you think is not being followed? I often quote Sirach to show that the medical establishment is in severe error such as myths about cholesterol, saturated fats and other such nonsense. I don't believe in doctors because they don't follow what is stated in Sirach. So.... what other things are on your mind?

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Christmas was Christianized from the pagan feast of Saturnalia. In addition, Jeremiah 10 warns about not learning the ways of the heathen, with the xmas tree. Jeremiah 10:1-5. That's just a start.
Your information about Saturnalia is patently false.
Saturnalia wasn't celebrated on December 25th. It ran from December 17th to the 23rd. It was over and done with 2 days before the 25th.

Around A.D. 206, St. Hippolytus of Rome wrote in his Commentary on Daniel that:
"The first coming of our Lord, that in the flesh, in which he was born at Bethlehem, took place eight days before the kalends of January."

This was written around 100 years from the time that the Apostle John was presumable still alive.

History shows that SOME pagans celebrated the birth of Sol Invictus on December 25th, but the first such record dates from the year A.D. 354 (on what is known as the Calendar of Filocalus or the Chronology of 354). This is a full 148 years AFTER the writing from Hippolytus . . .

Celebrating Christmas is a good and noble Christian endeavor.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accept those books. So what is it about them that you think is not being followed? I often quote Sirach to show that the medical establishment is in severe error such as myths about cholesterol, saturated fats and other such nonsense. I don't believe in doctors because they don't follow what is stated in Sirach. So.... what other things are on your mind?
That's good that you accept those Books as inspired - but I was referring to the majority of Protestants who don't.
Why do you accept them when most of your Protestant brothers don't?