What does the Bible say about Grace and Good Works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPeter

Nov 14, 2022
Cape Coral
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. So, what are good works? Good works are simply actions that are good. God is the creator and definer of good. It is good to do everything He says is good.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When my children were little I would have to watch what shows that were on, so I would have a handle on such as them. and so on such points I just pointed such out in a way to make them think at times, I would say it's all about understanding what is going on ?
Some people get sucked in to shows and just swallow the content without understanding where it's coming from, it's like they are in a moron mode and sucking such information in and just accepting it as normal ?
I think they are half a sleep really or not truly awake. they do not pickup on what is being dished up ! or they are not critical awake enough to catch on.
I know myself tired watching the News say and just pick up on something and have to find out what they are really on about, it's the way that they may word it. It maybe babble babble then what the subject is ? If I knew what the subject was I would of been on to it directly. I may be cooking etc and I do not listen to all of the News because I have no interest in a lot of it especially sports.

I was a contractor tradesman and one has to be critical of everything keeping an eye out all around you 24//7 like what is going on ! like a watch dog ready to go directly once the radar picks up on something then you are on the move, take your eye off the birdy for a second and disaster may strike.

Christ Jesus gives on grounding on the subject of Man and once one has a handle on that foundation it makes it much more easy to deal with, not to mention in a business dealing I may know one better than they truly know themselves, I even know what they are going to say next at times. and I am like please !
Thank you for sharing your experience.
My experience with popular secular worldly movies and shows could not clearly be seen until I made the decision to put them away and simply follow Jesus Christ and His good ways. I could not see that Daredevil dressed up as the devil and that being wrong until I put away my comics and my watching of the Daredevil TV show.

Now, there are Christians movies out there.
So there is a small alternative.

Here are my favorites (if you are interested):

But we have to even be careful with them.
I believe Christian life is a process in living a holy and sanctified life.
We grow and learn by the Spirit as we live this life (In studying the Word).
So things I could not see in the beginning of my faith, I see clearly now.
The Bible says, “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” (1 Corinthians 10:12).
So I strive to always be aware or a tune to what God’s Word is telling me by faith.
I may not always get everything He is saying, but I pray that He always guides me more clearly into paths of righteousness for HIS NAMESAKE and not my own. Let all praise and glory be unto the Lord Jesus Christ and His good ways (Both in His grace, and in the Sanctification of the Spirit).

Blessings be unto you greatly in the LORD.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. So, what are good works? Good works are simply actions that are good. God is the creator and definer of good. It is good to do everything He says is good.
I believe Ephesians 2:8-9 is talking about Initial Salvation because….

#1. Ephesians 2:1 says we are quickened (made alive). This happens one time in our life as a believer when we first are saved.
#2. God’s grace is gift we receive. Gifts are received one time. This again is Initial Salvation.​

Romans 3:27 says boasting is excluded when it comes to the Law of Faith.

So… Ephesians 2:9 is the kind of work that a person would boast in themselves in doing. So this is not a work of faith or a work done as a part of the Law of Faith because boasting is excluded when it comes to the Law of Faith.

Ephesians 2:10 is talking about a completely different kind of work (Which is God doing the good work through the believer under their free will cooperation or co-operation).

Works of faith are simply a part of one’s Sanctification by the Spirit after they are saved by God’s grace.
We are first saved by a belief alone (a process of salvation without works) because we are being saved by His mercy and grace and in believing the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 in that Christ died for our sins, he was buried, and risen the third day.
We have the righteousness of God imputed to us by believing this just as Abraham believed God on the promise and righteousness was imputed to him for his belief.

However, faith does not end in our Initial Salvation.
Hebrews 11 describes faith as both a belief (Hebrews 11:3) and it describes it as doing things that God tells us to do, like Noah preparing an Ark to the saving of his household (Hebrews 11:7). 2 Thessalonians 2:13 makes it clear that God has chosen us to salvation through the Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. This is a call of the gospel (2 Thessalonians 2:14). God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that’s e should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

Galatians 6:8-9 says, “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”

Romans 8:13 says,
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BH, THIS IS BIZARRE, totally!

Are you the avatar forum police ?

LETS NOT EVER TALK AGAIN OK...........BUT THINK WE HAVE AND WE'VE REACHED THE END OF OUR MUTUAL INTEREST.
May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you abundantly (Despite our disagreement on the faith involving the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word).

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BH, THIS IS BIZARRE, totally!

Are you the avatar forum police ?

LETS NOT EVER TALK AGAIN OK...........BUT THINK WE HAVE AND WE'VE REACHED THE END OF OUR MUTUAL INTEREST.
Bizarre indeed and 'avatar police' sounds about right. In a different thread, Bible Highlighter also attacked a meme that I posted which said, "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS PLAY THE STRAW MAN CARD" which had a picture of the scarecrow from the movie, "The Wizard of Oz" in it and I got an earful from him about how sinful that movie was as well :rolleyes: which was NOT the point of me posting that meme at all. The point of that meme was to make it clear that he was playing the straw man card against me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some people will go to any extreme in order to justify themselves and give themselves the moral high ground, even if it means resorting to straw man arguments and slander against others. It's really sad. :( The best place for these types of folks is on ignore.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the tax collector here (I have known you for years and can say this with confidence)

who does that leave as the pharisee?
It amazes me how those who "trust in themselves that they are righteous/despise others/treat others with contempt/look down on others" etc.. never even seem to realize that describes them. :oops:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. My argument with the Bible is solid and nobody here really addressed the verses I put forth to them.
My point of the avatar is merely to show that it is incorrect for a Christian to promote a worldly sinful TV show (Whether that was their intention or not is besides the point). If their intention was to promote that they are a mailman, then there are other pictures that can do so without promoting a sinful TV series. Again, does he have a problem with the series? Would he watch such a series in the future again?

see there you go continued lack of repentance.. He is not promoting a series. I did not even recognize it for along time. I just thought it was a mailman. Only a legalism such as you would attack him for something like that,

And people address the verses over and over with you. You just refuse to listen. so people give up. it is the wipe the dust off your feet sort of thing.. but yet you keep coming, keep attacking, keep showing a lack of humility..

This is an attempt to downplay what is being done. If I knew there was a series that was sinful, and I did not realize it was sinful and somebody pointed it out, and I accidentally posted something about a show or movie, or story that promoted something sinful, I would take down that image so as not to lead others astray into watching it and thereby stumbling into sin.

I used to be there at one point in time. As a Christian: In the past, I used to love James Bond, Star Trek, Marvel movies, etcetera. But in 2016, that changed one day and I had forsaken these sinful films for following my Lord Jesus Christ. I would not promote images of these films to other believers because it can lead them into sin.

get off it dude, He is highlighting who HE IS. and what HE DOES. He is a MAIL MAN. and his avatar is the picture of a MAIL MAN..

There are parts of the Word of God that you and many others are not dealing with.

There are parts you simply refuse to acknowledge.
Romans 4:4, and Works of Earning Money vs. Works of Responsibility in Owning a Free Gift.
To him that works his reward is not of grace but it is of debt as if it was some kind of obligation like at a job whereby he works so as to earn money.

"Now to a laborer, his wages are not counted as a favor or a gift, but as an obligation (something owed to him)." (Romans 4:4) (AMPC).​

So yes. I agree. Works Alone or trading dollars for hours like at a job involving salvation is wrong. Works Alone Salvationism (without God’s grace) is wrong because one has no grace or rest ever. This would purely be a works based system of salvation with no grace or mercy (like with Christ) if one messes up. A person’s good deeds have to outweigh their bad deeds.

But this is not the same thing as "Works of Responsibility in Owning a Free Gift."

I believe God's grace is a free gift as Scripture says (Ephesians 2:8). Gifts are received, and then we do works of responsibility to take care of those gifts.

Let me give you an example:
If Rick received a car as a free gift from his dad, does that mean he can run red lights, drive drunk, and hit pedestrians? No. If he were to do that, he would not have his gift for very long. Now, was his car any less a free gift because he had to do works of responsibility in possessing his free gift? No. Did Rick have to work at a job and get a loan to buy this car? No. It was a free gift from his dad.

Here is another example:
If Billy-Bob prayed for a wife for many years and he eventually receive a wife from the Lord and consider her as a gift, then that does not mean Billy-Bob can cheat on her and or not love her and expect for her to stay with him. It is the same with God. Disloyalty to GOD means we do not really love GOD and we just love ourselves more than Him. GOD calls us to obedience to His Word. This was the problem that goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden. But men today want to say that we can break God's commands and they will not die. This was the same lie that the enemy was trying to sell Eve on. The serpent told her that she would not die if she ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Which was a violation of God's command).

Anyways, in conclusion: We know that working like at a job (trading dollars for hours) is not the same as doing "Works of responsibility in owning a free gift." Paul is not talking about responsibility in possessing Jesus Christ (Who is our gift). Paul is talking about trying to earn your salvation by a system of "Works Salvationism Alone" that did not include God's grace at all. But men today confuse the issue to justify sin under God’s grace (Which is what Jude 1:4 warns against).
So what you are preaching is that we are orgional saved by faith (the spirit) but must maintain that salvation in the flesh.

Paul calls you a fool! You can't earn salvation before during or after. you will always fall short of Gods glory. The penalty of sin is death. Not you going out to do good deeds.

God told us how good we have to be to enter into life.

3 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified? 2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have you suffered so [c]many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain?
5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”

It requires perfection. If we break even one of the smallest commands, we are guilty

James 2:10
For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

And the law does not even give a complete list of every sin we could commit..

As jesus said to the pharisees (of who you resemble) be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect. thats the standard. they could not meet that standard and neither can you. Until you humble yourself and become poor in spirit. I fear you may never understand that fact and keep pumping your chest while attacking others
I am not claiming I am perfect or living like a super saint without any flaws whatsoever. But I believe I must partake of the Sanctification Process each day as 2 Corinthians 7:1 says. Let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God. There is no fear of God in the popular view of Christianity today. It’s all grace and that’s it. So 2 Corinthians 7:1 is not going to remain on the inside of the hearts of many free grace believers today because they will either ignore it, or they speak against what it says plainly. But in the last days, many shall depart from the faith. We are in the last days now. People today cherry pick the Bible and only believe in the comforting parts and not the tough parts that they don’t like to hear. It’s just that simple.
Salvation is all of grace. thats it.. no works are involved.

Christian growth on the other hand does consist of works, and God growing us in his image, sadly many will not grow very much, to their detriment, and they will suffer loss.. But even he will be saved, even as through fire..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It matters not your intentions. The fact of the matter is that it is still a promotion of a TV series that is sinful (regardless of your original intentions). Do you see the series as sinful? Yes or no? If I knew something could lead another person into sin, why would I promote such a thing? Most Christians today do not have a problem with sinful worldly movies, and shows today. So I am not going to get any “like reps” on this one. Not that I am looking for any recognition from men. For the one in whom I seek to please always is the LORD.
Total lack of humility. pumping his own chest. while attacking another person, refusing to admit he is wrong.

Does this look like a child of God?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyways, the best verse that answers this thread Topic question is 1 Corinthians 15:10.
Grace basically gives us the ability to do the work. It’s why the woman anointed Jesus feet with her tears and she loved him much by her actions. She loved much because she was forgiven much. Grace changed her to do works of love naturally. Granted, there are certain things God wants us to believe and do by His Word. Jesus says if we love Him, keep His commandments. Paul says if any man loves not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. Unfortunately, most today do not emphasize that is how we are to love Jesus.
Grace saves. period.

24/7 we are in need of a savior. and it is by grace we are being saved all day long

The HS and new birth is what gives us the ability to work.. as we are new creatures in christ. a dog returneth to his vomit because he is stioll a dog. a born again child of God can not sin, because he has been born of God (the apostle john)

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It amazes me how those who "trust in themselves that they are righteous/despise others/treat others with contempt/look down on others" etc.. never even seem to realize that describes them. :oops:
they have to. because of they do not. they have to actually see their own sin and acknowledge it.. and thats to painful to their pride..

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bizarre indeed and 'avatar police' sounds about right. In a different thread, Bible Highlighter also attacked a meme that I posted which said, "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS PLAY THE STRAW MAN CARD" which had a picture of the scarecrow from the movie, "The Wizard of Oz" in it and I got an earful from him about how sinful that movie was as well :rolleyes: which was NOT the point of me posting that meme at all. The point of that meme was to make it clear that he was playing the straw man card against me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some people will go to any extreme in order to justify themselves and give themselves the moral high ground, even if it means resorting to straw man arguments and slander against others. It's really sad. :( The best place for these types of folks is on ignore.
Agreed and done !

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only proof of salvation is to be born again.
Thats the eternal proof.
No sir, even they can lose out Heb 6:4-6. Although it is extremely rare that they fall away, they still have to die to get their reward Be.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
they have to. because of they do not. they have to actually see their own sin and acknowledge it.. and thats to painful to their pride..
God's way does not elevate man, but insists on man's total dependence on God and His Mercy. (Titus 3:5)
That is very unappealing to man's pride.

Reactions: Keturah

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's way does not elevate man, but insists on man's total dependence on God and His Mercy. (Titus 3:5)
That is very unappealing to man's pride.
thats why the pharisees hated Jesus, and why they hate us. because we chose to acknowledge our inadequacy and dependance on God.. which to them is excusing our sin.. why they excuse their sin by not acknowledging they have any. or it is not bad enough to curse them.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how can you lose out on something that someone else paid for with his own life?
Well that is simple . Dont believe in Christ JESUS . And if one continues not in HIM .
If one is following a version of Jesus that the devil created in order to get their worship by seducing their own lusts
THEY lost out to a lie .
Even if they THINK they are saved .
How does one lose out on salvation that JESUS paid for ..........BY NOT BELIEVING ,or by following another jesus
who honored their sins . The proof of whose we are is who and what we love .
And a truly converted heart , LOVETH the things of GOD and not the lies of men .
SO how does one lose out , they DENY CHRIST .
How do we Deny Christ, how do we deny Him .
WHEN we follow another jesus who interjected ideas contrary to the biblical Christ .
When we follow another jesus who is the minstir of sin and accepts evil and calls it good .
Cause JESUS dont approve of any sin . RATHER HE came to SET US FREE from sin .
Not to feel free in sin . The problem is not BELIEVING IN JESUS, , for all must do so to be saved
the problem is Believing in another jesus that honors sins , another jesus that seduces by a false love
that panders to the flesh . Another jesus that honors all paths , all ways , all religions to GOD .
Cause neither the FATHER NOR THE SON would ever have taught such a thing .
SO my question today is , HOW MANY HERE TRULY DO BELIEVE IN JESUS . OR is it another jesus
they believe in who has said ye are fine just say ye believe in me and walk as thou wilt for all is fine .
Cause that jesus leads us right to hellfire and perdtion . FOR of whom a man is overcome
the same is he in bondage unto . Whether of sin unto death or obediance unto righteousness .
EITHER we are a slave to CHRIST , to righteousness , to holiness , to truth , loving the glorious truth o the LORD
or we are a slave to our own hearts lusts . Man will and has through all ages
chosen to follow the god who best serves his dreams , his ambitions ,his desires
BUT I SAY FOLLOW YE the ONE WHOM CREATED ALL THINGS and LEARN ALL THINGS HE DID TEACH .
LEARN and DO and love all that is holy , all that is true , Love those words of GOD and of Christ
love and embrace the words of truth in the holy scrips . AND MAKE SURE YE TEST ALL MEN
Not against what WE THINK IS RIGHT , but against what GOD has called RIGHT and TRUE .

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. I am merely trying to show that if one believes in a "Sin and Still Be Saved Type Belief" (Granted you claim this is not Hyper Grace, but you do see 1 John 1:8 as saying you must sin again at some point again in the future - of which you believe is done occasionally) then one will justify other sins like sinful TV shows, and sinful movies and be okay with God, too.

Obviously it does not need to be stated here that promoting porn movies on the forum are sinful and wrong. But Seinfeld and the Wizard of OZ get a free pass because the type of sins promoted within them are not treated as seriously as say a porn film. That’s what your not getting. When sin is justified, then sin is justified in other areas of one’s life. But it takes God to help a person to see this by His Holy Word. Like I said before: I could not even see that Hollywood films and or shows that I liked at one time were a problem until the Spirit of God revealed that to me (Which also opened up the Word of God in a whole new way that I could not see before, as well).

1 John 2:15 says,
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
see there you go continued lack of repentance.. He is not promoting a series. I did not even recognize it for along time. I just thought it was a mailman. Only a legalism such as you would attack him for something like that,

And people address the verses over and over with you. You just refuse to listen. so people give up. it is the wipe the dust off your feet sort of thing.. but yet you keep coming, keep attacking, keep showing a lack of humility..
Grace, peace, and love to you and Dan in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
It is by no means personal why I said what I did. It also not something exclusive to Dan alone, either.
Most Bible Alone believing Christians today who hold to a view similar as Dan when it comes to Soteriology and Harmartiology also watch and endorse worldly sinful movies and or TV series (Although I do realize some may not).
Granted, Dan may not even watch this particular TV series. He may not even watch any TV or movies.
But the keeping up of a pic that others know is from this series will lead one to think that they do endorse the show (even if that is not their intention). Intentions do not matter. If one has a pic of a headshot of a porn star (that was a screen capture from a porn film), would that not be a concern? But because it is a regular comedy TV series, it gets a pass.
The Bible does not agree with the promotion of sinful things (of which Seinfeld clearly does).

Again, if the roles were reversed, and lets say I posted this same pic from his avatar and I did not know it from the Seinfeld TV series, and somebody pointed that fact out to me and they said the TV series was sinful and they gave some examples of how the series was sinful (like I did), then I would say I did not know it came from a sinful TV series and I would immediately take the avatar pic down and replace it with something better. I already told him about how this pic is from the Seinfeld TV series and I pointed out examples of how the show promotes sinful things. But he does not seem to care and he still has this avatar pic up and running and still. Therein lies the problem that you‘re not getting. Then again, if one believes they don’t lose salvation when they sin, I suppose it’s not really a big deal or a problem to have an avatar the promotes a sinful TV series.

One cannot appeal to how they did not know, after the cat is already out of the bag.

get off it dude, He is highlighting who HE IS. and what HE DOES. He is a MAIL MAN. and his avatar is the picture of a MAIL MAN..
That could have been his initial intention, but I told him that the pic is from the Seinfeld TV series (Which promotes sinful things), and I gave some examples from some articles on it.

So why would one want to have a pic of that series (Especially after being told about this)?

There are parts you simply refuse to acknowledge.

3 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified? 2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have you suffered so [c]many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain?
5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”
Being made perfect by the flesh in Galatians 3:3 is not in reference to obeying the Laws of Christ by the Spirit, but it is in reference to going back to the Old Testament Laws of Moses like circumcision.

If you skip back a chapter it says this:

Galatians 2:3-4

”But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:”​

We read in Acts 15 the following:

”And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.” (Acts 15:1).​
“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts 15:5).​
”Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:” (Acts 15:24).​

In Galatians 5, it says:

”Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.” (Galatians 5:2).​

So we can see that this “perfecting of the flesh“ being spoken about negatively was in reference to going back to the Old Testament Laws of Moses that we are not under any more.

Acts 13:39 says we cannot be justified by the Laws of Moses.
Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Notice Galatians 3:10. It says cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the Law. This would be the Torah or the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. Yes, certain laws have been repeated in the Laws of Christ, but this would be under a new set of laws or commands as a part of the New Covenant and not as a part of the Old Law. So when Paul is referring to the Law or works negatively in a generic sense, he is referring to the Old Law and this was usually addressing the problem of those who thought they had to first be circumcised to be saved.

It requires perfection. If we break even one of the smallest commands, we are guilty

James 2:10
For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

And the law does not even give a complete list of every sin we could commit..
The context of James is not supporting the idea that it is impossible to keep God’s laws.
That’s not what the context of James is saying in the slightest sense.
The whole point being made by James was to keep the royal law of love in loving your neighbor as yourself.
James was rebuking certain believers for giving favor to the rich brethren over the poor brethren.
James keeps going and says faith without works is dead (James 2:17), and how we are justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24) so as to drive home the point that we should love all of the brethren equally and fairly (Especially the poor brethren).

James was desiring to get his readers to obey and not tell them the futility of keeping God’s laws.
That would be ripping the verse out of the context of the rest of the chapter.

As jesus said to the pharisees (of who you resemble) be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect. thats the standard. they could not meet that standard and neither can you.
Jesus did not lie to them. If Jesus told them to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect and that was not ever possible for them to accomplish, and He knew that, it would be promoting a lie. That’s not possible because Jesus is God and He cannot lie.

Until you humble yourself and become poor in spirit. I fear you may never understand that fact and keep pumping your chest while attacking others
1 Timothy 6:3-4 says,

“If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing,”

Salvation is all of grace. thats it.. no works are involved.
Not true.

My Post #30 (within this thread) reveals plenty of verses that contradicts this kind of false belief.
Let the good Berean check them out and learn and understand.

Christian growth on the other hand does consist of works, and God growing us in his image, sadly many will not grow very much, to their detriment, and they will suffer loss.. But even he will be saved, even as through fire..
My response on this point will be continued in my next post to you.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Eternally Grateful

As for 1 Corinthians 3:15 that says,
”If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”

Well, Paul says before the parable, "you are God's building."
So we are the materials that make up the building.

The work is not referring to just any kind of general actions of a believer like good fruit (any kind of good fruit) and evil fruit (sin). The work is referring to those believers we bring to the faith and their eternal status with God (i.e. what kind of building materials are they made up of). The Parable is talking about Paul's work (Which is the Corinthians in this instance).

I believe Paul and the other apostles are a part of the foundation with Christ being the chief cornerstone or the ultimate baseline foundation (Ephesians 2:20), and that Paul's work in the gospel are the result of the Corinthians being initially saved by the gospel. However, Paul is now concerned that his labor in the gospel (concerning them) is now in vain because the Corinthians are now working the sins of strife and envying (Note: Paul condemns the sins of strife and envying when writing to the Galatians (Galatians 5:19-21). Paul says that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God). In Galatians 4:11, Paul was concerned for the Galatians in that they were going back to the Old Law so as to be justified or saved. He was concerned that his labor for the gospel was in vain for the Galatians.

So the parable speaks of how his labor for the gospel (concerning the Corinthians) was now possibly in vain for them, too.

#1. The chief cornerstone foundation = Jesus Christ.
#2. Built as a part of the foundation on top of Christ = The apostles (including Paul, etc.) (Ephesians 2:20).
#3. The actual building materials of the tower or building = God's people (In this instance it would be the Corinthians).
#4. The Corinthians would be like: Wood, hay, and stubble in this particular point in time within their life while they abided in their sins of strife, and envying (Which are sins that will cause a person to not inherit the Kingdom of God).
Wood, hay, and stubble are not materials that could survive a fire.
#5. Paul (the soul winner, and builder of the gospel and builder upon the foundation of Jesus Christ) would be saved through the fire (despite his work - i.e. the Corinthians being his work) would be burned up because of their sins. For Paul then says that if any man defiles the temple, God will destroy them (Meaning: God will destroy the Corinthians if they do not repent of their sins). We are the temple of God. Our bodies are the temples of God. If we as believers defile our temples by sin, God will destroy us (i.e. condemn us).​

This is what I believe the parable is saying. The works of Paul that will be burned are the Corinthians if they do not repent of their sins of strife and envy (1 Corinthians 3:3). The Corinthians at this point in time are not saved and they will be burned up in the fire and destroyed by God if they don't seek forgiveness with the Lord and turn from their sins of strife and envy. Paul, the apostles, or the gospel preacher is the one who will be saved through fire if his work (the Corinthians) is burned up (on the account of their justifying sin). The parable is not talking about how a believer can sin and still be saved as long as they have a belief on Jesus. It's actually teaching the exact opposite of that. One cannot build sin as a work upon the foundation of Jesus Christ. Jesus did not advocate sin, and neither did He teach that a person can continue to sin and still be saved.

Yes, we are initially and foundationally saved by God's grace, but believers cannot justify sin, and they have to be fruitful for their Lord and live holy as a part of the Sanctification Process.
For Hebrews 12:14-15 says,

“14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness,
without which no man shall see the Lord:
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness
springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;”
(Hebrews 12:14-15).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not despising you. I am commanded by God to love the person and yet hate the false beliefs or sins.