What does the Bible say about when Jesus Christ would return?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like so many you are not really interested in discussion or in exchange of ideas or in helping anyone to come to God. You want to do rather an impossible thing for any man alone.
No need to discuss or entertain conversation on teachings and belief that is contrary to scripture

It's a believers responsibility to expose those that teach contrary to the scripture and doctrine delivered to the Churches

It's my "Opinion" that those in denial of the Lords "Future" visible return, and a "Future" resurrection of the dead in Christ, are outside of Orthodox Christianity

The Lords "Future" second coming and the "Future" resurrection of the dead in Christ are "Pillars" of the Christian faith and "Doctrine"

Romans 16:17-18KJV
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this refers to the Romans in 70 AD.

And when you examine the order of things in this prophecy compared to Matthew's prophecy, you will see, Bear with me on the quotes, just follow the parts I bold and color

Luke 21:7-27 KJV
7) And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
8) And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
9) But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
10) Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
11) And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

12) But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
13) And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
14) Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
16) And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
17) And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
18) But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
19) In your patience possess ye your souls.
20) And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21) Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22) For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23) But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24) And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
25) And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
26) Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
27) And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

First Jesus gives much the same introduction to the signs of the end as in Matthew, but here He says, "but before all these", and goes on to prophecy persecutions and so forth, culminating in the surrounding of Jerusalem by armies, leading to the captivity of Israel into all nations. Then He returns to His prophecy of His coming in power and glory.

In Matthew,

Matthew 24:4-16 KJV
4) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6) And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7) For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8) All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9) Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10) And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11) And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12) And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14) And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
15) When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Jesus continues in a single prophetic narrative without that same sort of paranthetical, "but before all this", as He goes on to prophesy the Abomination of Desolation and subsequent great tribulation, affecting all life on the planet. "No flesh would survive."

Much love!

All of it connects from Matthew 21 - 24; Luke 21; Mark 13 ( I think).

All three of those together bring about the full picture and the full picture looks like the wrath of God was going to be poured out the nation of Israel for they “KILLED THE SON OF GOD” which important to make note of.

Not sure how important that may be to you, however it very note worthy and important to make note of “who killed the son of God”? The people of Jerusalem, of the Jewish nation, the chosen nation of God chose to put the son of God to death.

What would you think would happen to these people? They would be recompensed from the crime committed though their sins were paid for by Jesus even by their decision.

I’m glad that the nation of Israel made the decision to do it. For if they did not they wouldn’t have had their sins paid for. They were going to pay for what they did, having innocent blood shed: by rejection. (Ie: No desire to worship the true and living God - they killed the Son of God - out of envy, they didn’t care they hated him… imagine living in Jerusalem at this time in that age.

In a place where people hated Jesus, that they would kill you for preaching his name
?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1,000,000 Jewish people died that day. @marks. The genealogy, the priest hoods, the temple, all material religion of the nation of Israel and the heaven and earth they knew was destroyed… it no longer is like it was 2000 years ago.
It was a trajedy and a horror, and it was revisited on them in Europe the last century, and will be visited upon them worse still in the time to come, from which Jesus shall rescue them, destroying the attackers, delivering them, returning them to their land, never to be removed again.

Replacement theology arose when the theologians left off their critical reasoning in reading the Bible, instead they went with what they saw. 200 years ago, no one was envisioning that the nation of Israel could ever exist again. So those parts that referred to a "future Israel" they determined simply must mean something else. But what if it means exactly what it says? And now Israel exists again. And the world is lined up just the way the prophecies show.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to discuss or entertain conversation on teachings and belief that is contrary to scripture

It's a believers responsibility to expose those that teach contrary to the scripture and doctrine delivered to the Churches

It's my "Opinion" that those in denial of the Lords "Future" visible return, and a "Future" resurrection of the dead in Christ, are outside of Orthodox Christianity

The Lords "Future" second coming and the "Future" resurrection of the dead in Christ are "Pillars" of the Christian faith and "Doctrine"

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Thank you for sharing @Truth7t7. Hope you are doing alright today brother. God bless you and your family.

You can expose and say about other believers “Johnny so and so doesn’t believe this or he says that or whatever” however the Christian faith is always about the death, burial, and resurrection. The Gospel of Christ is the power of God unto Salvation.

The return sounds like you from your literal viewpoint seem to wanna point out and cause division by your own decision is calling others out?

No one has called your out or said you can’t believe what you do have they my friend?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how important that may be to you, however it very note worthy and important to make note of “who killed the son of God”? The people of Jerusalem, of the Jewish nation, the chosen nation of God chose to put the son of God to death.

What would you think would happen to these people? They would be recompensed from the crime committed though their sins were paid for by Jesus even by their decision.
It doesn't matter how important that is to me, although who is without sin?

Jesus prayed that they would be forgiven. Did the Father hear His prayer?

And how does this relate?

Jeremiah 31:37 KJV
37) Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Did the LORD go back on His Word there? Of course He did not.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Israel existed before as the tribes of Israel. So if you try to replace it by saying oh now they are officially Israel because of 1948 when they signed a document and became a nation.

That doesn’t make sense when God chosen them as his chosen nation prior?

Confusing… remember when they said Jesus was gonna return in 2000…

I was 10 or 11…

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even so, does it null everything Jesus had ever said against those religious Pharisees and scribes in that day when he was alive and breathing?

Do you believe Jesus words just nulled out at the cross? They continued spreading the gospel. The gospel reached all the known world according to Paul to Jew and gentile. They continued to warn about the coming wrath of God to be ready, to be pure and blameless when Jesus had come back. Jesus even warns them in the revelation.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Israel existed before as the tribes of Israel. So if you try to replace it by saying oh now they are officially Israel because of 1948 when they signed a document and became a nation.
That was their return to sovereignty. The Israelites remained a nation before God, and now they are restored to their homeland in self-rule, which is prerequisite to the complete fulfillment of the end of this age prophecies. Those prophecies also include the spiritual restoration of the remnent of Israel, as well as their being positioned "the head of the nations", and Jerusalem a praise in the earth. They include the return of all Israel to their promised land. Much more, of course.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That doesn’t make sense when God chosen them as his chosen nation prior?

Confusing… remember when they said Jesus was gonna return in 2000…

I was 10 or 11…
I've been watching this from the early 80's myself. I was 19.

Much love!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing @Truth7t7. Hope you are doing alright today brother. God bless you and your family.

You can expose and say about other believers “Johnny so and so doesn’t believe this or he says that or whatever” however the Christian faith is always about the death, burial, and resurrection. The Gospel of Christ is the power of God unto Salvation.

The return sounds like you from your literal viewpoint seem to wanna point out and cause division by your own decision is calling others out?

No one has called your out or said you can’t believe what you do have they my friend?

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was their return to sovereignty. The Israelites remained a nation before God, and now they are restored to their homeland in self-rule, which is prerequisite to the complete fulfillment of the end of this age prophecies. Those prophecies also include the spiritual restoration of the remnent of Israel, as well as their being positioned "the head of the nations", and Jerusalem a praise in the earth. They include the return of all Israel to their promised land. Much more, of course.

Much love!

I believe the end has happened. I believe our conversation is about as played out as it can be at this point.

By me keeping it direct and to the point and what the Bible says. You now tell me, that in 1928 or whatever that was a significant Bible proponent of scripture which was fulfilled?

what scripture would you use to justify your stance ?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do whatever you need to brother. Love you either way.

Reactions: Truth7t7

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to scripture? How would know that for certain? Is your own interpretation of scripture flawless? Are you here only to teach those who are in error according to you?

What are your credentials? Why should I or anyone listen to you instead of whoever we have been listening to previously?

And of course you know exactly what is contrary to the scripture and you know what and where the Churches are...!?

Again, what are your credentials?

Does Orthodox Christianity have all of God's Truth? Are they beyond Apostle Paul who as he wrote the first letter to the Corinthians was still seeing through a glass darkly?

Can you learn anything "Good" from anyone or anyplace else?

According to whom?
So, you believe I am a deceiver because what I say disagrees with your ATs... even though your ATs are really only your beliefs.

I fell in love with the Truth in 1976 when I knew but little of it. It is the love of Truth that keeps a person out of delusion, Not the love of knowledge nor obtaining knowledge.

These days, seven days a week I spend private time with God and read my Bibles. How much of my time is His? All of it although I have been unable to make such a full return of it to Him... Poor stewards all of us are, right?

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice" Phil 4:4

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

Nevertheless, I know that I must decrease in me so that He may increase in me.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a formula I've seen derived from Ezekiel and Leviticus that puts Israel back under their own sovereignty in 1948, some hold to the day they declared statehood.

Something based on the 430 days, a day for a year the Ezekiel lay on his side, minus the 70 years captivity, the remainder X7 for their continued disobedience, and when converted to Gregorian calender, takes you from the end of the captivity to 1948. Are you familiar with that?

Much love!

Perhaps if you provide the link, others may be able to to consider this as well, otherwise it is a power game where you say you have the knowledge but will not provide the knowledge to anyone else.

More information and/or links are required.

Shalom