What Exactly Were They Thinking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just reading the end of Matthew this morning and people were talking about sealing up the tomb of Jesus in case His disciples would steal His body and claim that He raised from the dead when that didn't happen. However, even if Jesus hadn't raised from the dead,.. wouldn't they have figured that out sooner or later when they didn't actually see Him alive? Or would they really be that stupid and gullible? :rolleyes: (Obviously this is just a hypothetical question since Jesus really did raise from the dead.)

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Over 500 people at one time saw Jesus after His resurrection. Over a period of 40 days up to the day Jesus went back Home He was seen by, and talked to a number of individuals. Jesus said He would come back the same way He went to Heaven.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Over 500 people at one time saw Jesus after His resurrection. Over a period of 40 days up to the day Jesus went back Home He was seen by, and talked to a number of individuals. Jesus said He would come back the same way He went to Heaven.

Sorry,.. but I'm not really sure what you're getting at as response to my question. :confused:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just reading the end of Matthew this morning and people were talking about sealing up the tomb of Jesus in case His disciples would steal His body and claim that He raised from the dead when that didn't happen. However, even if Jesus hadn't raised from the dead,.. wouldn't they have figured that out sooner or later when they didn't actually see Him alive? Or would they really be that stupid and gullible? :rolleyes: (Obviously this is just a hypothetical question since Jesus really did raise from the dead.)

The Romans certainly could've just tried to let the rumor of Jesus' resurrection die, assuming Jesus would never appear again. But remember, this was a super government sensitive event, calling for serious media controls. The Romans were totalitarians, and dare not allow any kind of challenge to their rule go un-censored, since there was the constant danger of rebellion. And Christianity clearly had the tools to take advantage of the unpopular standing of the Romans in Israel.

The Romans didn't want to tolerate *any* Christian teaching. Writing it off as mere "superstition" didn't work, because according to the story, Jesus had miraculously healed many, many people, including raising people from the dead. There was a strong belief, among some, that God still raised people from the dead, including claimed appearances of Moses and Elijah on the Mt. of Transfiguration. After all, the Jewish God is the God of miracles, who had supernaturally defeated an out-numbered Israel in the Exodus.

So the Romans wanted to stop the story before it broke out, proven or not, rational or not. They did not perceive the people would be moved by anything but by a contrived and manipulated story line that appeared more rational.

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who knows. They were them that didn't believe Jesus after all his miracles, or didn't want to believe him because they had an investment of power over the people and enjoyed their position above men and women of the nation.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who knows. They were them that didn't believe Jesus after all his miracles, or didn't want to believe him because they had an investment of power over the people and enjoyed their position above men and women of the nation.

True, it's just as if I were the romans and had heard that Jesus had risen from the dead I wouldn't be just like "oh okay" I would actually want to see some physical proof first. Especially if I didn't trust them. Now I go by faith, but it would have been very different if I had lived during His actual death and resurrection.

Reactions: dev553344

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"In whom the god of this world (Satan) hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."