What good books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Allen's book some say was the foundation for Herbert Armstrong's nonsense, so it figures that you would similarly be drawn in by both works. May God help ya. :r.u.n:

Just kidding-- I read lots of stuff I don't agree with.
LOL

Reactions: Mr E

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'The Dynamics of Christian Mission'..title of the book
- History through a Missiological Perspective.
- Paul Pierson
I met the author..years ago.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Finished An Answer To The Jews and To Scapula, both by Tertullian; Assumption of Moses (a Jewish writing) in response to an inquiry.

Started Tertullian’s Against Hermogenes.

Is anyone else on the forums currently reading any of the Church Fathers?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A mental coin toss this morning to decide which work of Tertullian to read next: The Apology or Against Praxeas - in light of the fact that it’s been longer since I read the former vs. the latter, The Apology wins the toss.

Who do I have to thank for this renewed interest in Tertullian? My good friend and theological adversary @theefaith.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Having completed reading both The Apology and Against Praxeas, I’m turning my attention now to Scorpiace, a work by Tertullian which I’ve not read before.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Martyrdom. Martyrdom. Martyrdom. Heavy reading.

Reading now Tertullian’s On Baptism.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Finished reading On Baptism and On Repentance. Starting Tertullian’s On Prayer.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve enjoyed reading / rereading Tertullian, but having finished Of Patience - another of his works which I wasn’t previously introduced - I’m taking a break from him, an intermission of short duration.

I’m reading now a book which was suggested to me a while back by an old college professor of mine. The book is The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible, by Scot McKnight.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve enjoyed reading / rereading Tertullian, but having finished Of Patience - another of his works which I wasn’t previously introduced - I’m taking a break from him, an intermission of short duration.

I’m reading now a book which was suggested to me a while back by an old college professor of mine. The book is The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible, by Scot McKnight.

Finally finished McKnight’s book and returning to Tertullian. I’m reading Ad Nationes.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading Glacier's Edge by R.A. Salvatore. Basically the continuing adventures of Drizzt the Drow Ranger.

My favorite fiction books by my favorite author.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
A1dG-NrmnUL.jpg

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Finally finished McKnight’s book and returning to Tertullian. I’m reading Ad Nationes.

I finished reading both books of Ad Nationes.

Now I’m reading Tertullian’s On the Resurrection of the Flesh.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I finished reading On the Resurrection of the Flesh and, this morning, Ad Martyras. In hindsight, I’m glad I decided to read them in this order.

Tertullian offers comfort and encouragement to “Blessed Martyrs Designate” - imprisoned Christians, in approximately 197 A.D. Having his arguments on resurrection of the body prior to reading about what those imprisoned in “the devil’s house” were facing, where “the fear of death is not so great as the fear of torture,” made it emotionally easier to read.

I still felt it hard and find myself in need of a brief change of focus. To that end, I’m reading History of the First Council of Nice: A World’s Christian Convention A.D. 325, With a Life of Constantine by Dean Dudley.

I plan on returning to Tertullian after I finish reading the book on the Council of Nicaea.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Against The Valentinians by Tertullian.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve just begun reading The Five Books Against Marcion by Tertullian.