What good books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Lol, great book I never read it of course but surely interesting from early christian writings.

I just finished it this afternoon. I came across a few new names and groups, with one small surprise:

“To all these heretics is added one Tatian, a brother-heretic. This man was Justin Martyr’s disciple. After Justin’s death he began to cherish different opinions from his. For he wholly savors of Valentinus …”

(Chapter 7)

1. They didn’t tell me that when I was a college student; and
2. Mention of Valentinus brings back the unpleasant memory of slogging through Tertullian’s Against The Valentinians.

Next up on my early Church Fathers reading tour de force - Tatian, Address To The Greeks.

* gulp *

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think maybe one day I’ll invest in a kindle they are good little tablets, thank you pathfinder.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just finished it this afternoon. I came across a few new names and groups, with one small surprise:

“To all these heretics is added one Tatian, a brother-heretic. This man was Justin Martyr’s disciple. After Justin’s death he began to cherish different opinions from his. For he wholly savors of Valentinus …”

(Chapter 7)

1. They didn’t tell me that when I was a college student; and
2. Mention of Valentinus brings back the unpleasant memory of slogging through Tertullian’s Against The Valentinians.

Next up on my early Church Fathers reading tour de force - Tatian, Address To The Greeks.

* gulp *
Have you always been interested in history at a young age?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but not church history at a young age.
Cool, I’ve heard it’s neat to go back in time and look at church history, as far what had come about within the realm of Christianity, or perhaps any religious starting. There are always differing opinions back then and still today. One thing I do find interesting is that before Augustine brought forth damnation to hell forever in literal flames, people believed in a restitution to all things in the end.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Tatian, to my relief, didn’t speak about the Aeons in Address To The Greeks. Fragments of his writings, however, confirm that he later did.

I have a few writings of Tertullian left to read but I’’m putting it off for a bit and have begun reading Athenagoras’ A Plea For The Christians. (I’m still stalling on Origen.)

Reactions: MatthewG

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading The Resurrection Of The Dead - written by the Ante-Nicene Church Father, Athenagoras.

Pending approval of a request I made to a staff member this afternoon, this may be my final post in this forum. If that should happen, I may start a similar thread in whatever forums I’m given approval to post in.

Read widely. Read deeply. Read thoughtfully. Read critically.

Read the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers.