What happens when we die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will be raised bodily just like Christ who is our example and you see it in Lazarus and the others raised from being dead. Its all through the scriptures as this site goes over..:

The miracles our Lord Jesus showed at His 1st coming with raising the dead was to show proof of Who He is, The Son of God. It didn't mean that is how the future resurrection will be. With those who came out of their graves (an expression) when Jesus died on the cross, they appeared to many in Jerusalem. Do you think they were literally raised to a new flesh body? That would mean they had to die again if it were flesh that was raised. It would contradict what Apostle Paul said here...

Heb 9:26-27
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

KJV

"Yes, our bodies will be raised not spiritually or ethereally, but physically and materially. Our souls will be reunited with our transformed physical bodies, brought back to life from the dead. Scripture teaches this in many ways.

You just made that up from men's doctrines, as God's Word does not show the resurrection is to a new flesh body. You completely disregard what Apostle Paul taught in the 1 Corinthians 15 chapter of what kind of body the resurrection is. So why should our Heavenly Father and His Son show you anything in His Word, since you reject all that Scripture? Soak in your traditions of men then.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 24:30-31
30 And it came to pass, as He sat at meat with them, He took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew Him; and He vanished out of their sight.

KJV

I'm sure today's occult mystics would LOVE... to be able vanish in plain sight like our Lord Jesus did there! Imagine all the evil sneaky things they would do.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The miracles our Lord Jesus showed at His 1st coming with raising the dead was to show proof of Who He is, The Son of God. It didn't mean that is how the future resurrection will be. With those who came out of their graves (an expression) when Jesus died on the cross, they appeared to many in Jerusalem. Do you think they were literally raised to a new flesh body? That would mean they had to die again if it were flesh that was raised. It would contradict what Apostle Paul said here...

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

KJV.
No, we all are set to die the first death, and then comes the judgment. But to be resurrected is a great truth and it is like Christ, bodily.
Acts 1:22 King James Version (KJV)
Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Romans 8:11 King James Version (KJV)
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

The bodily resurrection serves as the basis for the Christian faith.
John 11:25 King James Version (KJV)
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

1 Peter 1:3 King James Version (KJV)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

This is a argument that Paul goes over:
1 Corinthians 15:12-14 King James Version (KJV)
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

Note what he says, "And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain." Then look what it says:
1 Corinthians 15:15-18 King James Version (KJV)
15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

Paul wrote in verse 15 that if the resurrection did not take place, "we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not."

The bodily resurrection anticipates the future resurrection of all believers as verse 16 teaches, "For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised."

The resurrection of Christ serves as the basis for the future resurrection of all who believe in Him. Without the bodily resurrection, believers are still in their sins as we see in verse 17-18: "And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished."

The bodily resurrection of Jesus from the dead fulfilled His own prophecies. Jesus personally foretold that He would die and rise again. For example:

John 2:18-21 King James Version (KJV)
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

I like this explanation:

"Christianity, as a religion, stands or falls upon the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the tomb. In the first gospel sermon, the apostle Peter accentuates the death and resurrection of Christ as central components in the scheme of human redemption (Acts 2:23-32). The resurrection remained the foundational emphasis of Peter’s second recorded sermon (Acts 3:13-15). It was on account of their preaching the resurrection of Christ from the dead that Peter and John were arrested (Acts 4:1-2) and ordered to cease and desist preaching the name of Jesus (Acts 4:18). However, immediately upon their release, they continued preaching, “And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 4:33).
Seven Reasons to Believe in the Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ — Leipers Fork church of Christ

And this:

"The claim of Jesus’s bodily resurrection is central to the gospel message. Without his bodily resurrection, Jesus’s claims to divinity would be empty, and the gospel’s claim to be the power of God for salvation would be false."
The Bodily Resurrection of Jesus - The Gospel Coalition

You can check many more on this...

Will the Resurrection of the Body Be a Physical Resurrection from the Dead?

Was Jesus Raised Bodily from the Dead?

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...ler,+Signifcance+of+Christ's+Resurrection.pdf

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you denying Christ can resurrect us:

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

He will resurrect and give the gift of eternal life to us mortals, His saints, and take the saints to heaven.

1 Peter 1:3-5 King James Version (KJV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Christ says it Himself:
John 14:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a great explanation and well put together understanding of this topic:

Premise

Traditionally most people believe that there is a ghost-like “spirit” inside of our bodies, and when we die, this spirit floats away somewhere, preferably heaven.

I will show that the Bible actually does not support this theory. In fact, according to the Bible there is no spirit inside of us at all. We exist only as mortal bodies, made from dust having been given the breath of life. And it is this “breath of life” that is confused with, or interpreted as, a “spirit”.

There are problems with your proposition.
1. As believers we are born of the Spirit. This birth is a creation of something new, that was not there before.
So it is with everyone born of the Spirit John 3:8
2. Jesus spoke to Elijah and Moses. Now the resurrection has not happened yet but here they are.
And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus Mark 9:4
3. In revelation the souls of the dead call out
I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.
Rev 6:9
4. The thief on the cross is given a promise
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:44
5. We are body and soul. If it were not so, our souls could not be destroyed because they did not exist.
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt 10:28
6. Paul describes us as spirit, soul and body
May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thess 5:23
7. God commands us to
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deut 6:5
8. Scripture divides our soul and spirit.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double--edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing
soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Heb 4:12

Our soul and spirit are expressed through our physical bodies. The question is, is our souls and spirits locked as an attribute of our bodies or as a part of being a living being.

Jesus is described as Gods word, His message, His speaking forth, and finds physical form as a man.
If Jesus has a separate spirit as a human, from the Holy Spirit, we have a problem in identity.
If the term spirit is an expression of our expression or mood, soul is the expression of our presence, and heart is an expression of our fundamental reality of who we are without defence or protection, then these are expressions of our being created.

Samuel was brought back from the dead to talk to Saul, and not in physical form.

Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?I am in great distress," 1 Sam 28:15

All these question relate to what is reality, and what are we and how do we mortals relate too immortality.
We are not spirits without a body, so our link to our physical bodies is very real. But we make a mistake to
think our physical existence is any more substantial, because we experience things this way.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we all are set to die the first death, and then comes the judgment. But to be resurrected is a great truth and it is like Christ, bodily.
Acts 1:22 King James Version (KJV)
Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Romans 8:11 King James Version (KJV)
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

The bodily resurrection serves as the basis for the Christian faith.
John 11:25 King James Version (KJV)

1 Peter 1:3 King James Version (KJV)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

This is a argument that Paul goes over:
1 Corinthians 15:12-14 King James Version (KJV)
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

Note what he says, "And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain." Then look what it says:
1 Corinthians 15:15-18 King James Version (KJV)
15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

Paul wrote in verse 15 that if the resurrection did not take place, "we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not."

The bodily resurrection anticipates the future resurrection of all believers as verse 16 teaches, "For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised."

The resurrection of Christ serves as the basis for the future resurrection of all who believe in Him. Without the bodily resurrection, believers are still in their sins as we see in verse 17-18: "And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished."

The bodily resurrection of Jesus from the dead fulfilled His own prophecies. Jesus personally foretold that He would die and rise again. For example:

John 2:18-21 King James Version (KJV)
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

I like this explanation:

"Christianity, as a religion, stands or falls upon the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the tomb. In the first gospel sermon, the apostle Peter accentuates the death and resurrection of Christ as central components in the scheme of human redemption (Acts 2:23-32). The resurrection remained the foundational emphasis of Peter’s second recorded sermon (Acts 3:13-15). It was on account of their preaching the resurrection of Christ from the dead that Peter and John were arrested (Acts 4:1-2) and ordered to cease and desist preaching the name of Jesus (Acts 4:18). However, immediately upon their release, they continued preaching, “And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 4:33).
Seven Reasons to Believe in the Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ — Leipers Fork church of Christ

And this:

"The claim of Jesus’s bodily resurrection is central to the gospel message. Without his bodily resurrection, Jesus’s claims to divinity would be empty, and the gospel’s claim to be the power of God for salvation would be false."
The Bodily Resurrection of Jesus - The Gospel Coalition

You can check many more on this...

Will the Resurrection of the Body Be a Physical Resurrection from the Dead?

Was Jesus Raised Bodily from the Dead?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5718e8b7f85082df1d53dd09/t/58de3dff6a496348f3c6e45f/1490959883711/Geisler,+Signifcance+of+Christ's+Resurrection.pdf

Yeah, just as I thought, you covered absolutely nothing from the specific 1 Corinthians 15:37-50 Scripture where Apostle Paul showed us what kind of 'body' the resurrection is, i.e., a "spiritual body". So dream on with your false Pharisee fleshy doctrines.

shipeichong

Jan 19, 2019
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
I personally believe if we are a true believer, we go to heaven when we die. Otherwise, we go to hell.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe if we are a true believer, we go to heaven when we die. Otherwise, we go to hell.

And that is correct Biblically.

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

Matt 22:31-32
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?" God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
KJV

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In answer to the title question:

Those who are redeemed by the blood of the Lamb go to heaven.

Those who are not, go to hell; and are then judged at the GWT judgment after being raised out of perdition. If their names are then not found written in the BOOK of Life, they are cast into the lake of fire; which is everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46) and condemnation.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, just as I thought, you covered absolutely nothing from the specific 1 Corinthians 15:37-50 Scripture where Apostle Paul showed us what kind of 'body' the resurrection is, i.e., a "spiritual body". So dream on with your false Pharisee fleshy doctrines.
Paul was talking about the carnal versus the spiritual, we will not go to heaven with the sinful body but one cleansed of sin. You can see what he meant in the other use of it:
1 Corinthians 2:9-16 New King James Version (NKJV)
9 But as it is written:
“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

You see it again in this text:
1 Corinthians 10:1-4 New King James Version (NKJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

And we can see how he uses here:
1 Corinthians 14:37
If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

And compares the spiritual against the carnal:
Romans 7:14
For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

You just made that up from men's doctrines, as God's Word does not show the resurrection is to a new flesh body. You completely disregard what Apostle Paul taught in the 1 Corinthians 15 chapter of what kind of body the resurrection is. So why should our Heavenly Father and His Son show you anything in His Word, since you reject all that Scripture? Soak in your traditions of men then.

Christ declares how it will be at the end Himself:

John 5:28-30 King James Version (KJV)
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was talking about the carnal versus the spiritual, we will not go to heaven with the sinful body but one cleansed of sin. You can see what he meant in the other use of it:
9 But as it is written:

10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

All over the place just to still try and escape what Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 15:37-50. We can see that you're not interested.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ declares how it will be at the end Himself:

John 5:28-30 King James Version (KJV)
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

And the resurrection is what type of body per Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:37-50?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9 But as it is written:

Need to read

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have the answers in the Bible:
Ecclesiastes 12:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

This text is the exact counterpart of Genesis 2:7: “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”

One text teaches how man was first formed and the other text makes known the process of his dissolution. What God did in creating, death undoes by dissolving. So how did death get the power to step in and undo the Creator’s work? Man forfeited his right to live by sinning against God. Death entered by sin. Romans 5:12. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"

Death came from the devil, just as life came from God. When we die, we return to dust, but we have a Redeemer who extends the gift of life back to us, but we have to choose His righteousness and allow Him come into our lives. This means having the Mind of Christ and allowing it to instruct and having the fruits of the Spirit as a result which show in our works.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
State of the dead:

What Happens When You Die? | Truth About Death

Is Hell Real? | Hell Truth

Ghosts: Who Are They? | Ghost Truth

Where Do People Go When They Die?

Plenty more resources here -

Library of Resources: - SDA Maranatha Multicultural Church in American Samoa

As for Instance:

Is The Virgin Mary Dead Or Alive – Danny Vierra (PDF)

The Conditionalist Faith Of Our Fathers Volume 01 – LeRoy Edwin Froom (PDF)

The Conditionalist Faith Of Our Fathers Volume 02 – LeRoy Edwin Froom (PDF)

Misunderstood Texts On The State Of The Dead – Secrets Unsealed – Stephen Bohr (PDF)

Study Guide 10 – Are The Dead Really Dead – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Study Guide 11 – Is The Devil In Charge Of Hell – Amazing Facts (PDF)

The Afterlife Mystery – Doug Batchelor – Amazing Facts – AFScan (PDF)

The Final Mystery – Book – Doug Batchelor – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Storacles Of Prophecy 09 – The Witch Of Endor – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Storacles Of Prophecy 10 – Cities Of Ash – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Amazing Adventure Study Guide 08 – Whistling Through The Graveyard – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Absent From The Body – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Library Of Sermons 10 – Spirits From Other Worlds – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Library Of Sermons 15 – Hell-fire A Twisted Truth Untangled – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Library Of Sermons 18 – Spirits Of The Dead – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Library Of Sermons 24 – Heaven Is It For Real – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Library Of Sermons 28 – The Rich Man And Lazarus – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Marian Messages An Insider Look At Catholicisms Visions And Teachings – Vance Ferrell (PDF)

Witchcraft Ruins Lives – Vance Ferrell (PDF)

The Great Controversy (1911) – Ellen G White (PDF)

Hidden Truth Magazine – Amazing Facts (PDF)

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All over the place just to still try and escape what Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 15:37-50. We can see that you're not interested.
I think perhaps the issue is more that you need to read and understand, rather than lock yourself into a biased view which appears to be the case.