What have you cooked lately?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A family member gave me some slices of ham that has been sitting in the fridge for too long and I really needed to do something about it. I don't like to waste food, particularly when there is so many folk out there who are struggling so this is what I made (with the help of the Holy Spirit.)

1. Ham. View attachment 33209 2. chopped with red onion, paprika, salt and parsley add. View attachment 33210
3. Zapped in the nutribullet View attachment 33211 4. Now minced View attachment 33212 5. Eggs and flour added View attachment 33213
6. Mix View attachment 33214 7. Cook in oil and a bit of butter View attachment 33216 8. Outcome. (may need more flour according to wetness level. View attachment 33217 9. Testing, delicious! View attachment 33218 10.Will freeze the rest of the mixture until needed
Angelina, you are a chef!! I will surely be coming back to this thread!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....haha...no, it’s beef and onion pie...meat was a bit tough...I added a few carrots to the meat, water crust pastry, so easy to make....ingredients aren’t very healthy though, 200 grams of lard, 500grams plain flour, t/ spoon salt, 7 fluid ounces of hot water...delicious pastry.

On saying that, I make mincemeat and frangipani pie at Christmas...Nigella Lawson recipe.
If we are going to make something that is oh so tasty, there should be NO low fat anything in it, I'm all about taste and consistency! It looks wonderful!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made pasta sauce yesterday and for dinner we had it over spaghetti squash. It turned out better than I have a right to claim it was. I think it might have been a fluke.

We have a produce market about a mile or so down the road. They go to Philadelphia every morning at 0'dark-thirty to grab a load of less-than-pristine fruits and vegetables but they usually get some really great-looking stuff, too. If you're early and selective you can make quite a haul, especially on stuff that's in-season. I came out of there early yesterday with about 25 lbs of really nice stuff for $12.

So I washed about 30 tomatoes (plum and vine-ripe), a couple dozen mushrooms, and a large, orange bell pepper. I use about a 1/4 cup of lemon juice and a couple tablespoons of salt dissolved in a 4-gallon tub half-full of water for washing. This makes a decent solution of hydrochloric acid to eat any nasty bugs off the goodies. I toss the produce in, then put another tub half-full of water on top to hold the goodies down completely under the solution.

While that does it's work I chop onions and separate garlic cloves. I used 2 giant Vidalia and 2 heads of gaahhlic. The onions I caramelized in a 1/4 cup of olive oil with some basil,oregano, and thyme while I blanched the garlic for a minute so the peels would come off easily.

While this was going on I drained and rinsed the other stuff. I cut the vine-ripes in quarters and the plums in half and after transferring the onions to a medium heat 6-quart stock pot I threw the tomatoes and peeled garlic on top of them (I prefer poached garlic to sauteed).

Then I sauteed the mushrooms, sliced thinly, in little EVOO (it's really important that you keep this stuff below it's smoke point, btw—I don't like to use oil unless it's necessary but a good pasta sauce needs some sugar (onions) and fat to counterbalance the acidity of the tomatoes) until they sweat out thoroughly (I hate mushrooms that snap back at me).

Meanwhile I'm dicing the pepper, careful to remove all seeds and lightly-colored membrane. They go right in the stock pot. I added 2 tablespoons each of onion powder and garlic powder and 2 small cans of tomato paste for good measure.

And without thinking, I tossed the mushrooms in, as well. Now I had to seek counsel as to whether the family wanted me to painstakingly fish all or most of the mushrooms out before immersion blending the sauce at the end of cooking. The consensus was that the mushrooms must be rendered to smithereens. This cooked on low for about 5 hours. 2 tablespoons of salt before serving. I find that salt hides in food if you don't hold off on it until it's cooked or nearly cooked.

A gallon and a half of homemade sauce for about $12. So we still have 4 full quart jars of the stuff in the freezer. It was almost worth the work!

I try to undertake such a project at least once a week. Gotta earn your keep, they tell me.

I usually try to do something on Sunday, too. This past one I made a mess of dilly chickpea-avocado sandwich filling that's getting fair reviews. It goes pretty well with the butter bean sandwich spread I made a few days before that.

I love to cook. And it's less fattening than eating.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just read a post about cooking in an instapot and it got me to thinking about kitchen tools. There seems to be a movement toward avoiding new tools that won't multitask. I was a machinist by trade and that dog will not hunt in a machine shop. We used to say "There's nothing like the right tool." Anyway I was reminded of this huge, old, Ninja blender I have that just won't die. I use it for making soups, sauces, dips, and salad dressings. I was also reminded of a food processor that I saw on an Australian cooking show that also cooks and costs about the same as a good used car. It was actually an instructional program aimed at common folk and I thought to myself "Who can afford $3800 US for a food processor that cooks?" :p Then I thought, "my $79 (15 years ago) blender can do that if you just leave it on max speed for about 5 minutes—Soup's On!" ;):cool::Zek:

(I think I just figured out who "Angie" is.)

The shear angle on my blades are a little steep so your soup might be a little fluffy. :jest:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Flaky pastry. Is that a flan dish @Ritajanice?
I think a lot of people use flaky pastry for meat pies, desert pies, etc, I never make flaky pastry, I would buy it,lol, ..looking forward to seeing more of your recipes,@Angelina ....and everyone else’s cooking, loving this thread.

Reactions: Angelina and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of my favorite recipes, but I also add asiago and mascarpone cheeses on the top. After mixing the ingredients, it's poured into my oven safe skillet over the stove. You continue to lift the sides until the egg seems fairly set, then I stick it in the oven at 325 for anywhere from 20 minutes to half an hour. It is delish! I find myself getting up in the middle of the night heating up a piece Lol!

P.S. The sun-dried tomatoes are a must!!! - IMHO, :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of my favorite recipes, but I also add asiago and mascarpone cheeses on the top. After mixing the ingredients, it's poured into my oven safe skillet over the stove. You continue to lift the sides until the egg seems fairly set, then I stick it in the oven at 325 for anywhere from 20 minutes to half an hour. It is delish! I find myself getting up in the middle of the night heating up a piece Lol!

P.S. The sun-dried tomatoes are a must!!! - IMHO, :)

Sun-dried tomatoes are the bomb!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I just got finished eating some sauteed yellow squash, brussels sprouts, and okra topped with some pasta sauce, tahini, and a dollop of butter bean spread. It was pretty good, but I don't know whether that sounds gross or delish. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I just got finished eating some sauteed yellow squash, brussels sprouts, and okra topped with some pasta sauce, tahini, and a dollop of butter bean spread. It was pretty good, but I don't know whether that sounds gross or delish. :rolleyes:
Well Barney, it sounds like an odd combination but healthy. Who ever thought that pepper jelly with cream cheese would be so good? one of my brothers, in his 50's now, still loves to dip PBJ into Koolaid! Lol-ew.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Barney, it sounds like an odd combination but healthy. Who ever thought that pepper jelly with cream cheese would be so good? one of my brothers, in his 50's now, still loves to dip PBJ into Koolaid! Lol-ew.
I want to try making some Cayenne jelly sometime. I just love Cayenne. I have a heart ailment that's stayed with me from my early childhood on that produces V-Tach episodes that just flee at the sight of a little Cayenne. :)

RESPECT CAYENNE!!! :jest::jest::jest:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to try making some Cayenne jelly sometime. I just love Cayenne. I have a heart ailment that's stayed with me from my early childhood on that produces V-Tach episodes that just flee at the sight of a little Cayenne. :)

RESPECT CAYENNE!!! :jest::jest::jest:
Oh wow! I would think hot/spice foods would do the opposite!

Sure do respect ANY hot spices/peppers. Sitting at the opposite end of our family table, my eyes would actually water from all the black pepper, crushed red pepper and topped off with a couple especially hot cherry peppers, and then a bit of juice from the peppers; that my dad would put on his pile of pasta...and he ate like this several times a day his whole life. It's no wonder he only had one third of his stomach left! Oh but he did love his sauce and pasta and peppers!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cooked lately? Not much. Spring is work outside daylight to dark cleaning, gathering, clearing, burning, tending, planting, mowing, fixing, cleaning again after the storms.
Pretty much eat light,, fruits, salads, frozen meals.

Reactions: Nancy and grumix8