What Is A Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enlil

Jun 24, 2009
Hello, I'm new here.I was thinking lately about some things, and got stuck, so I decided to hear an opinion of people who should know what they are talking about. If you could tell me what you think, I would greatly appreciate it.What is a Christian? Is he a person who believes in Christian cosmology? Believes that there is God, Christ and Holy Spirit, angels, demons, life after death and so on. This is a necessary condition, everybody agrees with it. If one is a Christian, he must believe in Christian cosmology. However, is this a sufficient condition? If a person believes in Christian cosmology, but for some reason refuses to practice all rituals and ceremonies of Christian religion, such as attending Church, prayer and worship of God, is he a Christian? If not, what is he? Just a "person who believes in Christian cosmology"? Is there a shorter, more specific name for that?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can almost take the Cartesian route to answer this question. I use this often, but going to the most simple definition of a Christian, I'd have to go to the actual meaning of the word: "Christ man." (Note that man does not discriminate the female sex, if you prefer person there, go with with it.) It literally means someone who is a follower of Christ. With that in mind, how does one come to know about Christ? The only account we have of his life comes in the Bible, which either is the Word of God, or it is not. Either you believe that account, or Christ does not exist; he is otherwise a creation of the imagination or personal desires to see Christ in this light, or that.From there, the Church is defined as nothing more than the bride of Christ. There are no rituals, worship procedures, or denominations set forth in the Bible. A good church is a wonderful thing, and a great tool, but a church in general is nothing more than an assemblage of believers.
Matthew 18:20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
The focus is always on God (The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

gumby

May 29, 2009
Simply to be a christ like person, think like christ act like christ. Follow in his example and be happy
smile.gif

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit. Romans 8v9 states:-“ . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”So, it's vital to receive the Holy Spirit, but he is invisible and we cannot trust our own hearts that we are right with God . . ."The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jer. 17v9)(Jesus warns that many who call Him "Lord" will be told "I never knew you", he's talking about church-goers, not agnostics !). So, God must bare independant witness, the apsotles waited for this, . . .In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit, and when they hadn't. The way of salvation hasn't changed.At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit began to be given as never before, making people sons of God (see John 7v39, 14v17, 20, 16v7). The apostles reported:-“ . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR. . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)If you were told that what you could "see and hear" (the speaking in tongues) was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case?With the gentiles:-“ While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)How did he know ?“For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.” (v46)If it is possible to receive the Spirit and NOT speak in tongues, the apostles were *wrong* to judge that the Spirit had just fallen upon people when they spoke in tongues, logically they could only say that people had *at some unknown time previously* received the Spirit . . . but they didn't.

Enlil

Jun 24, 2009
I'm sorry for my late reply, I had to go away for several days.SwampFox, It's a bit more complicated. Say, a man believes that the Bible is the word of God and that Christ exists. However, he refuses to follow Him. If he isn't a Christian then, what is he?Gumby, A Christ like person, as in - live righteous life, don't hurt anyone, help people in need, etc? There are a lot of Buddhists, Muslims, atheists like that, and yet they aren't Christians.TallMan, So Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit, right? That means not all people have received the Holy Spirit. Does God decide who receives it and who doesn't? If so, does that mean God decides who can be saved and who can't?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
TallMan, So Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit, right? That means not all people have received the Holy Spirit. Does God decide who receives it and who doesn't? If so, does that mean God decides who can be saved and who can't?
God is love, he wants all to receive his love by receiving his Spirit, but he won't force himself on anyone..He freely gives to all that want what he says they need."Many are called, few are chosen"."the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him." (Acts 5:32)Of course people won't obey God until they see his goodness, so, the best thing is for you to receive His Spirit, this will help those around you make the right decision.God knows who will choose what and he will lose none of his lost sheep.You are now being called, sort yourself out before worrying about others.

Enlil

Jun 24, 2009
Fair enough. But my initial question was - what is a Christian? So if the definition of "Christian" is "The one who has received Holy Spirit", how does a person who has received Holy Spirit differ from someone who hasn't? And, more importantly, is it possible for someone who has received it to choose not to follow Christ? (Probably not, but I want to hear if others agree).Basically, the whole point of this topic was for me to understand if a person who believes in Christ, believes in everything Christ teaches us, but still refuses to worship him, if this person can call himself Christian or not.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Tallman that is not scripture but your religious belief What happened on Pentecost Day was a miracle and it only happens twice in scripture and has absolutely nothing to do with the so called tongues of today or being a Christian.. One is not required to be a Pentecostal to be savedIf one thinks they must wait until they can speak a language(tongue) and all will understand in their own language then No one would be saved ..As Soon as you confess that Jesus Christ is your Savior son of God and repent of your sins You become a New man ..that is your spirit is awakened. and you are a Christian ... This New Man you become is a change in your spirit you want to be more Christ like you strive not to sin and when you do you want to repent to your father ..You want to learn about him and worship him. all these and more make you a Christian. And it happens to Everyone you accepts Christ ..Its not for a few select few that think they receive some special baptism that is a belief of men not the Word od God. Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, I like you Tallman but you preaching a religion of men Not the Word of God.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a bit more complicated. Say, a man believes that the Bible is the word of God and that Christ exists. However, he refuses to follow Him. If he isn't a Christian then, what is he?
That's why I didn't use the phrase of only the belief that Christ exists. Do note that this is qualified that Christ is the Son of God incarnate, or he isn't. You can believe Christ existed as a man, but not be a follow of Christ. Believing in the existence does not make one a follower. That's why it ultimately rests on Christ being the Son of God, or not.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough. But my initial question was - what is a Christian? So if the definition of "Christian" is "The one who has received Holy Spirit", how does a person who has received Holy Spirit differ from someone who hasn't?
They have received the Life of Jesus. They have perfection to draw on and live by. I saw the confidence and contentment of people that had received it and who were living it. They had what I couldn't find for myself - fulfilling purpose. I was a worrier and I used to get bored.After I whole-heartedly wanted what they had received & too received and found this new Life for myself.That was 23 years ago but as I keep God as your greatest desire it keeps getting better.
And, more importantly, is it possible for someone who has received it to choose not to follow Christ?
Oh yes, in fact Jesu told parables to warn that this will happen with many if not most people that receive it.Paul also warns:-"that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;" (2 Thess.2:3)God gives more than enough grace to follow him, so long as that's what people want to do most "my yoke is easy".People make it hard by seeking "other gods", and they staunch the flow of God's powerful ministry in favour of something else. (Probably not, but I want to hear if others agree).
Basically, the whole point of this topic was for me to understand if a person who believes in Christ, believes in everything Christ teaches us, but still refuses to worship him, if this person can call himself Christian or not.
If you have a son, that child doesn't cease being your child, even if they are "prodigal".They are still a christian technically, but they are not a faithful one. Only the faithful ones get the blessings, only those that die in the faith will be saved.

Enlil

Jun 24, 2009
If you have a son, that child doesn't cease being your child, even if they are "prodigal".They are still a christian technically, but they are not a faithful one. Only the faithful ones get the blessings, only those that die in the faith will be saved.
Yes, this is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
smile.gif

Siskim

Jan 29, 2008
A Christian is a "Beleiver" in Christ and a follower. If he doesn't go to church for example, it never was going to church that made him a Christian...a Believer and follower. Beleive means...Believe who he is and what he accomplsihed for "you." Follow means you have given him your heart and you accept him into your heart as Savior...and don't worry about following...he will lead and show us how. Beleiver that Follows Jesus....very simply.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The designation "Christian" is found 3 times in the NT - Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28 and 1Peter 4:16. The first time believers are called Christians is in Antioch.Act 11:26 ...And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. Here's what the term means:ΧριστιανόςChristianosThayer Definition:1) Christian, a follower of ChristPart of Speech: noun proper masculineA Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G5547Citing in TDNT: 9:493, 1322

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
[quote name='Enlil;70739]..how does a person who has received Holy Spirit differ from someone who hasn't? And' date=' more importantly, is it possible for someone who has received it to choose not to follow Christ?..[/QUOTE'] A person won't receive it in the first place unless he's accepted Jesus..:)True Christians are cool, calm, good-natured, fearless and great to be with, whereas Jesus-rejecters are not.

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
[quote name='SwampFox;70460]You can almost take the Cartesian route to answer this question. I use this often' date=' but going to the most simple definition of a Christian, I'd have to go to the actual meaning of the word: "Christ man." (Note that man does not discriminate the female sex, if you prefer person there, go with with it.) It literally means someone who is a follower of Christ. With that in mind, how does one come to know about Christ? The only account we have of his life comes in the Bible, which either is the Word of God, or it is not. Either you believe that account, or Christ does not exist; he is otherwise a creation of the imagination or personal desires to see Christ in this light, or that. From there, the Church is defined as nothing more than the bride of Christ. There are no rituals, worship procedures, or denominations set forth in the Bible. A good church is a wonderful thing, and a great tool, but a church in general is nothing more than an assemblage of believers. The focus is always on God (The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).[/QUOTE'] Very well put...AMEN....Ray

E

Elaine

Well, my best friend was raised as an Italian Catholic --she has expanded her beliefs to include many so-called New Agey things. Her neighbors say, "You are not a Christian." I say to her, "Do you believe Jesus was sent by God and died on the Cross for Man's salvation because of Adam's sin and all that? That He was more than a prophet, but God's Son and Resurrected and all that?" Yes. "Then you're a Christian." She says, "Well my neighbors say I'm not." Well, "You are." We never talked about if she is a "good" or practicing or active Christian. But I said, "You're a Christian. They are just very active church-going Christians and have their ideas. But you believe in Jesus so you're a Christian...don't listen to them saying you're not." I think I am right. Comments? And thank you in advance,:) Elaine

E

Elaine

That was 23 years ago but as I keep God as your greatest desire it keeps getting better.That was 23 years ago but as I keep God as your greatest desire it keeps getting better. ---Tallman
Tallman, that is such an inspiring sentence. Thank you for that ---when I keep God as my greatest desire----ahh, music to my ears----it keeps getting better. :)Elaine