What Is A Dispensation For? 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There has never been written a more clear message of how we are to live now, and how the father speaks to the beloved he has birthed.
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself,
according to the good pleasure of His will,
To the praise of the glory of His grace,
wherein He hath made us accepted in The Beloved.'

(Ephesians 1:3-6)

Hello @soul man

I need to understand what you mean by the words, 'He has birthed': For in Ephesians, the word used is 'adoption' isn't it? Which is different from 'birthed', yes?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself,

(Ephesians 1:3-6)

Hello @soul man

I need to understand what you mean by the words, 'He has birthed': For in Ephesians, the word used is 'adoption' isn't it? Which is different from 'birthed', yes?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

To have a birth (born again) there has to be a birthing. Adoption is refered to in different ways, but for the born again they need to learn their new family spirit, that is the spirit of adoption. We are not adopted into the family we are birthed into the family of God

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To have a birth (born again) there has to be a birthing. Adoption is refered to in different ways, but for the born again they need to learn their new family spirit, that is the spirit of adoption. We are not adopted into the family we are birthed into the family of God
Hello @soul man,

Forgive me, but in the light of what you have said, please explain why, in Ephesians 1:5, the word 'adoption' is used?

'According as He hath chosen us in Him (Christ)
.. before the foundation of the world,
.... that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:
Having predestinated us unto
.. the adoption of children
.... by Jesus Christ
...... to Himself,

(Ephesians 1:4-6)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @soul man,

Forgive me, but in the light of what you have said, please explain why, in Ephesians 1:5, the word 'adoption' is used?

'According as He hath chosen us in Him (Christ)
.. before the foundation of the world,
.... that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:
Having predestinated us unto
.. the adoption of children
.... by Jesus Christ
...... to Himself,

(Ephesians 1:4-6)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I say if a believer feels they have been adopted no problem. So your father is an adopted parent, I do not see that in view of "you must be born again" thanks for the conversation though I would never want anyone to have a change of mind that does not fit them.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I say if a believer feels they have been adopted no problem. So your father is an adopted parent, I do not see that in view of "you must be born again" thanks for the conversation though I would never want anyone to have a change of mind that does not fit them.
Hello @soul man

The question I posed, was as much for me as for you, and I went to bed last night with my mind buzzing and sleep was the last thing I wanted. I wanted to be downstairs with my Bible open to it's usage of the word adoption. I believe that we, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, are born from above, yes, but I feel there is more that I need to consider in relation to adoption. So, I am sat with a cup of tea by my side, and my Bible unzipped and ready to begin. I will come back to you with the outcome, God willing.

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello @soul man

The question I posed, was as much for me as for you, and I went to bed last night with my mind buzzing and sleep was the last thing I wanted. I wanted to be downstairs with my Bible open to it's usage of the word adoption. I believe that we, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, are born from above, yes, but I feel there is more that I need to consider in relation to adoption. So, I am sat with a cup of tea by my side, and my Bible unzipped and ready to begin. I will come back to you with the outcome, God willing.

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
something to do with this

Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

God bless

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @soul man

Forgive me, I fear that I am the cause of this thread being derailed. I will continue with these thoughts re. new birth and adoption in another thread.

Thank you
Within the love of Christ our Saviour
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
4 According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: - Ephesians 1:4.
When you have a dispensation you have a message from God. Each dispensation has It's own gospel, a gospel is the message for that time. A dispensation as we have talked about is the way God would handle people (particularly Israel) in that era of time. That dispensation had to have a message before we can consider it a dispensation. Dispensations are not written per-say as when you read scripture that reads "this dispensation will be called promise or human government or law. It is not written that way but what is written is the way God handles people at a particular time in history. So what we can see written is a message change for every time era in history. That is where we get the word dispensation. Just like the word rapture it is not written but a pattern can be clearly seen. So most theologians and scholars agree on how to look at scripture and you can clearly see how God does things. Many disgruntled theologians will finally come to a conclusion that the believer can only know so much about God or their salvation and there is just a certain amount we can know about spiritual things, and when we all get to heaven we will know and not until then.

That sounds good but the problem is that is not what is written in the scriptures. The Bible says you can know (John 14:20) and it is available to know for all born again believers. We have available "the mind of Christ." Powerful truth for believers is; where brilliance ends Revelation begins. You cannot get taken up with man and his ideas as to what you are to know. You are to know exactly what it is your father has done and is doing in the world. It is called the plan and purpose of God, the glory of God is the plan and purpose that starts before anything was created. What is it with scriptures like "the suffering of this present time cannot be compared to the "Glory" which shall be revealed in you." Romans 8.

What is revealed in you " the plan of God before the foundations of the world." Ephesians 1. Salvation of spirit is not what is at issue here, the salvation of mind is what is at issue. Those that have been born again are a completed person, but a completed person needs to know that they are completed and how they were completed. Your understanding (revelation) of scripture will be what fixes you in mind. It is the life-line of the knowledge you have of all your father has done and is doing in and through creation including the world. When you understand what your father is doing in the world you are seeing the plan and purpose of God for creation. In other words you know why he created all things, you can see the reason for all things.

That dear friends is the peace of God (Christ in you) that passes all understand. Glory to God for he has created all things by a perfect plan and reason for all things. Ephesians 1:4. If you see evil in the world only you are missing out on the plan of God in effect. Some say "well we have a fall" yes, but if it exists, whatever it is, it is because our father allowed it and will use it. Nothing can stop the plan of God, read the dispensations as they're written. No need to go off on some allegorical trek through the word of God, stay with what is written and how it is written. The pattern is there for dispensations, look at the dispensation and see the difference in the message of each one. That will be your pattern in Christianity today as we live out the grace of God. The plan of God is not written per-say in a numerical order, it is not written in some hidden language. It is written as clear as the nose on your face. It is just a cop out to say "we cannot know," you will know as it is revealed to you. Bless you.
What Is A Dispensation For?

Hello @soul man,

As you have stated (in the link above - 'What is a Dispensation for?') there are seven distinct administrations each having its own beginning and ending clearly revealed and marked off. These are characterized by the principles of God's Administration, which mark all that He said and did during each special and distinct period. I express them slightly differently:-

The 7 Times of Administrations:-
1) The Theocratic (Edenic) Administration suited to the time of Innocence before the Fall (Genesis 1:11) - 'And God said'.
2) The Patriarchal Administration suited to mankind after the fall, but before the law was given (Genesis 4 - Exodus 20)
3) The Legal administration suited only to Israel under the Law.
4) The present Administration of Grace which is for Jew and Gentile alike (i.e., for individuals out of both, without distinction).
5) The Judicial Administration preparatory to the restoration of all things which were spoken before by the prophets.
6) The Millennial Dispensation: ending with:-
7) The Administration of Glory in the Eternal State.

* The 1st and 7th correspond, each being characterized as Divine, in its origin and principles, God being in direct communion with man; the one before the entrance of sin, and the other after the ending of sin.
* The 2nd and the 6th are each occupied with mankind as a whole, the former being Patriarchal and the latter Millennial.
* The 3rd and the 5th are occupied with Israel; in the former being governed under Law, in the latter judged 'by the law'.
* The 4th, The Church of God, stands alone and by itself, as occupying the great central position, showing the 'purpose of God' - round which all His counsels circle, and with reference to which they all exist according to His eternal purpose.

Thank you
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Ref: 'How To Enjoy The Bible' by Dr. E.W. Bullinger

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, @soul man,

You will agree that the first of the administrations, 'The Edenic Dispensation', beginning at Genesis 1:26 and going down to the end of Genesis 2, is unique. There is nothing like it until we come to the last, or seventh Dispensation, which is The Eternal State. In these two there is only the innocence of man; and both are characterized by the absence of sin and the presence of God. God came down and communed with Adam, revealing Himself to him: and the mark of the Eternal state is given in the words, 'The Tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them' (Revelation 21:3)

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Is A Dispensation For?

Hello @soul man,

As you have stated (in the link above - 'What is a Dispensation for?') there are seven distinct administrations each having its own beginning and ending clearly revealed and marked off. These are characterized by the principles of God's Administration, which mark all that He said and did during each special and distinct period. I express them slightly differently:-

The 7 Times of Administrations:-
1) The Theocratic (Edenic) Administration suited to the time of Innocence before the Fall (Genesis 1:11) - 'And God said'.
2) The Patriarchal Administration suited to mankind after the fall, but before the law was given (Genesis 4 - Exodus 20)
3) The Legal administration suited only to Israel under the Law.
4) The present Administration of Grace which is for Jew and Gentile alike (i.e., for individuals out of both, without distinction).
5) The Judicial Administration preparatory to the restoration of all things which were spoken before by the prophets.
6) The Millennial Dispensation: ending with:-
7) The Administration of Glory in the Eternal State.

* The 1st and 7th correspond, each being characterized as Divine, in its origin and principles, God being in direct communion with man; the one before the entrance of sin, and the other after the ending of sin.
* The 2nd and the 6th are each occupied with mankind as a whole, the former being Patriarchal and the latter Millennial.
* The 3rd and the 5th are occupied with Israel; in the former being governed under Law, in the latter judged 'by the law'.
* The 4th, The Church of God, stands alone and by itself, as occupying the great central position, showing the 'purpose of God' - round which all His counsels circle, and with reference to which they all exist according to His eternal purpose.

Thank you
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

The question remains? What are they for.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again, @soul man,

You will agree that the first of the administrations, 'The Edenic Dispensation', beginning at Genesis 1:26 and going down to the end of Genesis 2, is unique. There is nothing like it until we come to the last, or seventh Dispensation, which is The Eternal State. In these two there is only the innocence of man; and both are characterized by the absence of sin and the presence of God. God came down and communed with Adam, revealing Himself to him: and the mark of the Eternal state is given in the words, 'The Tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them' (Revelation 21:3)

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I question theocratic period as being long, am I reading you right? My understanding is it did not last long before another way of handling people came into being when God announced to man they would be certain things they will need to do such as till the ground, earn it from the sweat of their brow.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @soul man

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Charity,
Today, in our culture, adoption is when a person or a couple agrees to become the guardian and caregiver to a young child. "Adoption is the social, emotional, and legal process in which children who will not be raised by their birth parents become full and permanent legal members of another family . . ." (childwealfare.gov) Nonetheless, Paul speaks of the Roman practice of adoption, which is not an agreement to raise a child but an agreement to sponsor a grown adult.

The Phrase "adoption as sons" is actually one Greek word, indicating a legal agreement whereby an older man of means decides to designate a particular young man as his legal heir. The adopted "son" becomes a person legally entitled to the property and rank of the patron. Perhaps a man spends his entire life in pursuit of his wealth and has no actual or living progeny of his own. Having seen a young person in action, someone that thinks like him, values what he values, and in many ways, could be his actual son, he makes the association legal.

Paul is using that system as an analogy to make his own point about believers in Christ. Hopefully this helps you in your own studies.

Blessings Charity.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The question remains? What are they for?
Hi @soul man,

I thought we had determined that in previous posts: but they are inseparable from the word of God, and need therefore to be identified and acknowledged, in order that we may by rightly dividing the word of God as to it's 'times' and 'administrations', may be able to discern when God has spoken, and in what way, to whom, about what, and with what intent.

* Each dispensation ends with a crises:-

1) The Edenic state ended in the expulsion from Eden.
2) The Period without Law ended with the Flood and the judgment on Babel.
3) The Period under Law ended in the Rejection of Israel.
4) The Dispensation of Grace will end in the Rapture of the Church, and 'the Day of the Lord.'
5) The Dispensation of Judgment will end in the Destruction of Anti-Christ.
6) The Millennium will end in the Destruction of Satan, and the Judgment of the Great White Throne.
7) The Administration of Glory, or the Eternal State will have no end.

* The times of the Gentiles overlap, beginning before the present church dispensation and will not close until it is ended.

* This brings us to the present Dispensation of grace, and the church of the Mystery, which is parenthetical, and which could be lifted out of the text of Scripture without leaving a dent, or a sense of loss. It is that which is covered by the prison epistles of Paul, and which had been hidden since the world began, and revealed to Paul as it's Steward, by God, to be administered by him. This He did from prison, by the epistles written to the Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus. That Christ, who is in (or among) the gentiles (or nations), is 'our hope of glory'. It comes in the interval between our Lord closing the book in Luke 4:20 at the words from Isaiah 61:1-2, 'The acceptable year of the Lord,' and, 'The day of vengence of our God' which follows it: an interval of around 2000 + years.

No wonder the prophets who spoke and wrote
'as they were moved by the Holy Ghost '(2 Peter 1:21) enquired and searched diligently what, or what manner of time (concerning Christ) the Spirit which was in them could signify, when it testified beforehand of the sufferings of Christ, and the Glory which should follow' (1 Peter 1:10-11)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I question theocratic period as being long, am I reading you right? My understanding is it did not last long before another way of handling people came into being when God announced to man they would be certain things they will need to do such as till the ground, earn it from the sweat of their brow.
Hello @soul man,

All I know is that it ended with the expulsion from Eden. The length of time is not known, but it must have been a lovely time, when God could walk and talk with Adam (Genesis 3:8), for Adam was under the direct tutelage of God Himself. He was Adam's teacher, revealing Himself and His wonderful works to Adam. He brought the animals to him to instruct him (Genesis 2:19-20); He gave Him a companion (Genesis 2:21-22), and we do not know what else He would have revealed to Adam, for such direct communication between God and man was severed by the Fall, wasn't it?

This was a time of probation for man, he was tried and tested and found wanting. Ever since that time, man has been dealt with as lost, guilty, ruined, helpless, and unclean: all because of what he IS and not merely from what he has DONE. He is not only a ruined sinner, but a ruined creature.

Man failed, just as Satan and the Angels before him had failed under their trial. Man showed the same result: and proved that apart from the Creator, no created being could stand. By Christ, the Creator, all things not only exist; but in Him only can they consist (Colossians 1:16-17).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man It maybe be usefully stated that the various dispensations reflect the different stages of revelation which have unfolded from God and His consequent developing of His dealings with mankind, in His purposes in His beloved Son.
Amen, well put. I don't think we can put a finger on. It is like looking in that glass darkly, some of the darkness is removed but it seems we will always see dimly no matter where you are in the Lord.

Reactions: charity and farouk

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works.'

(2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Hello @dave,

Yes all of the Word of God is FOR us, but not all is ABOUT us.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

1 Cor 10:9-12
9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
KJV

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Amen, well put. I don't think we can put a finger on. It is like looking in that glass darkly, some of the darkness is removed but it seems we will always see dimly no matter where you are in the Lord.
@soul man

Anne Steele (born 18th century) wrote:

'Oh may these hallowed pages be
My ever dear delight!
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light!'