What is a Liberal Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to hear from someone on the forum who claims "liberal Christian."

Just explain why liberal instead of just Christian.

I'm not going to beat you up, maybe some would, just want to hear your reasoning.

Reactions: teamventure

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all have our opinions and ideas of what a liberal Christian stands for, I would like to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Hopefully some will explain exactly what it means to be a liberal Christian, why you label yourself in that way. Maybe explain why you feel the need to place "liberal" into Christianity.

Not looking to condemn, just want to understand your perspective on the matter!

Depends what country you are in as different countries have different meanings of the word liberal.

Liberalism in the United States is a political and moral philosophy based on what liberals consider the unalienable rights of the individual. The fundamental liberal ideals of freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, the separation of church and state, the right to due process and equality under the law are widely accepted as a common foundation of liberalism.

Liberalism in Australia is a liberal democracy (that is, one that champions the development and well-being of the individual) is organised in such a way as to define and limit power so as to promote legitimate government within a framework of justice and freedom. There are four critical elements to the framework: legitimacy; justice; freedom; and power.
  • Australian democracy is based on the rule of law. This means that every person, regardless of who they are, is subject to the same law and has access to the same legal and judicial processes.
The two are very similar, any difference can be seen in the working out of the idea.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Correct. Liberalism is a weak form of Communist Totalitarianism. And that is why the Democrats have become Marxist/Communist/Fascist. When it comes to Christianity, Liberalism = Apostasy.

Hmmmm....... Interesting how some from both sides of politics are calling each other facists.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Liberal "christian":

Denies that the Holy Bible, as THE Word of Almighty God
Denies the Verbal Plenary Inspiration of the Holy Bible
Denies that the Bible ALONE is the Word of God, and not the Bible+, as in Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, etc.
Denies that the Original Canon of the Bible consists of ONLY 66 Books as Divinely Inspired by God the Holy Spirit.
Denies that the God of the Holy Bible is eternally Three, coequal, coessentially, Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Not Three "Gods", or Three "beings". But Three DISTINCT, EQUAL Persons.
Denies that Jesus Christ, the eternal God, became a real human "Person" at His Conception, and thereafter the God-Man (apart from sin)
Denies the actual Personality and Deity of The Holy Spirit
Denies that salvation for the lost sinner in ONLY in Jesus Christ, the Saviour for ALL the human race. And that the sinner is Justified with God, apart from ANY "good" works, but by "repentance and faith", in the Goodness and Grace of the God of the Bible.
Denies in the Penal Substitutionary Death of Jesus Christ, as the ONLY basis for the salvation of any sinner, and Justification with God.
Denies that there is a literal place called hell, where the unsaved with "suffer punishment" for ever, and not be annihilated
Denies in the Second Bodily Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ

etc, etc...

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Liberal Christians don't refer to themselves as "liberal". That was a label given to them by others. A liberal Christian is someone who does not believe in the supernatural; does not believe in miracles; and especially does not believe in the resurrection of the dead. A liberal Christian attempts to follow Jesus as one would follow any other "good teacher" such as Buddha or Gondi. They don't believe that God deals directly with human beings or that he interferes in the affairs of men. God leaves us alone to work things out for ourselves.

This is not entirely true, there's a mix of Christians in both sides..... I have heard of some conservative Christians who are cessationist....... Likewise I have heard of some Liberal Christians who are Charismatic Christians....

I agree with @Truman the Levite on post #3, he summed up Liberal and Conservative very well, and I also agree there needs to be balance.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unalienable rights of the individual: I believe we all stand on even ground before God, and as such, are all to be treated the same.
Freedom of speech: to speak my mind and express my heart, without fear.
Freedom of the press: how about a truthful, unbiased press?
Freedom of religion: for me, freedom to seek God and His understanding of what His word means.
Separation of church and state: to keep the state out of my relationship with God.
The right to due process: justice that is blind to who is charged.
Equality: where everyone is seen as being made in the image of the Almighty, and of equal, intrinsic value.
If this is truly what it means to be Liberal...then Justin Trudeau is much further left than he says he is.
I love Donald Trump, and I think Tim Poole would make a great president!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've talked to several over the years who consider themselves "liberal Christians."

I've never been able to get handle on exactly what that means.

I was hoping someone would explain it, how "liberal" fits into scripture.
A "liberal", in this context refers to "a supporter of policies that are socially progressive and promote social welfare." (Oxford) The liberal Cristian feels very much at home among social progressivists because the emphasis is focused on the teaching of is very much at hom
This is not entirely true, there's a mix of Christians in both sides..... I have heard of some conservative Christians who are cessationist....... Likewise I have heard of some Liberal Christians who are Charismatic Christians....

I agree with @Truman the Levite on post #3, he summed up Liberal and Conservative very well, and I also agree there needs to be balance.
The term "liberal" and "conservative" mean different things depending on whether we are talking politics or Christianity. The definitions I am using are specifically related to American Protestantism, not American Politics necessarily. The two might be related.

I don't agree that balance is needed. What is needed is a commitment to the truth and courage.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The term "liberal" and "conservative" mean different things depending on whether we are talking politics or Christianity. The definitions I am using are specifically related to American Protestantism, not American Politics necessarily. The two might be related.

I don't agree that balance is needed. What is needed is a commitment to the truth and courage.
Politically speaking... I guess Canada is WAY WAY more LIBERAL than United States. Our Prime Minster at this time is a come one... come all kind of guy... I am not familiar with all these terms used... as I am NOT political... but I think the term is Globalist...

I believe that the TRUE church will rise up in this mess... I think this pandemic has been a wake up call to many... an invitation and opportunity to come back to our FIRST LOVE. I am so blessed that through out this whole thing.. my own soul began to wake up I saw how very BLESSED I am.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When the left wing and the right wing are co-operating and working in unison, they get the body to where it is supposed to go. :)

Reactions: Josho

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Politically speaking... I guess Canada is WAY WAY more LIBERAL than United States. Our Prime Minster at this time is a come one... come all kind of guy... I am not familiar with all these terms used... as I am NOT political... but I think the term is Globalist...

I believe that the TRUE church will rise up in this mess... I think this pandemic has been a wake up call to many... an invitation and opportunity to come back to our FIRST LOVE. I am so blessed that through out this whole thing.. my own soul began to wake up I saw how very BLESSED I am.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry @Truman the Levite ... I am NO fan of Catch the Fire movement... In June of 2014... John and Carol Arnott ( the founders of this movement)
went to Rome to visit the pope... Kenneth Copeland was also there amongst several others... to join in this FALSE UNITY... I called it the Judas Kiss.... the church that I attended was a sister of this movement... and I had to walk away from them... because I could not condone ANYTHING that was connected with either the Catholic Church or Kenneth Copeland. I was most grieved when this occurred. Just saying...

Reactions: Pearl

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
We all have our opinions and ideas of what a liberal Christian stands for, I would like to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.
Hopefully some will explain exactly what it means to be a liberal Christian, why you label yourself in that way. Maybe explain why you feel the need to place "liberal" into Christianity.
Not looking to condemn, just want to understand your perspective on the matter!

God said that the born again are to not be a part of the "world".
We are to be in it, as how can we not be if we are breathing, but not to be a PART of it...

The "world" is the world system.
Its the flow of the Devil's design.
Its basically lust and opinion, that plays out as wrong desire being obeyed, and these wrong desires are devil designed to get your focus off of God an onto whatvever the world can put in front of your eyes and mind.

The devil has this amazing capacity to show you something shiny and get your interest devoted to it.
He also will = use your feelings and emotions to get you caught up into all sorts of politicized nonsense that feels righteous to your flesh, but is actually totally against righteousness itself.

For example, many Christians are lost in this idea of "a woman's right to choose", and are so caught up in that idea that they can't even REALIZE that every abortion is a murder in the womb, as every time an abortion is committed, a heartbeat is STOPPED.

Your life ends when your heartbeat stops.
Its the same with a child in the womb.
There is no difference, except some have been deceived regarding how to THINK about this as God views it.

The Television, and all media is the #1 way that the Devil grabs your attention, and once he has this, he has your focus, and once he controls your focus, which is your mind, he then owns you.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Television, and all media is the #1 way that the Devil grabs your attention, and once he has this, he has your focus, and once he controls your focus, which is your mind, he then owns you.

the devil has been around before there was TV and any media, and has been causing people to rebel against the Lord since Eden. :eek:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you are still on here? I thought that you had quit! Hope my post did not increase your bp. :)
Well... this is my TRIAL week... My account was not closed... I'm not sure that they even do this unless someone is banned. I will decide by Sunday... if I'm staying or going.
I almost got banned yesterday... if the person would have gotten their way... I would have been....so YEAH... I'm just not
handling the forums very well...

I don't like many of the attitudes here...so... I'm truly NOT sure what I should do... I think what is keeping me here is that I really don't want
to go back to NO FELLOWSHIP what so ever.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry @Truman the Levite ... I am NO fan of Catch the Fire movement... In June of 2014... John and Carol Arnott ( the founders of this movement)
went to Rome to visit the pope... Kenneth Copeland was also there amongst several others... to join in this FALSE UNITY... I called it the Judas Kiss.... the church that I attended was a sister of this movement... and I had to walk away from them... because I could not condone ANYTHING that was connected with either the Catholic Church or Kenneth Copeland. I was most grieved when this occurred. Just saying...
I am an enemy of the prosperity gospel. The Toronto Airport Vineyard Christian Fellowship was asked to leave the Association Of Vineyard Churches when Arnott disobeyed a direct order from the Vineyard head, John Wimber.
Wimber is a hero of mine. Anyone who would walk away from opening for The Beatles to serve Jesus, is , in my opinion, someone to be admired.
I have seen the damage done to someone when, though they whole-heartedly believed in the name-it-and-claim-it doctrine, it failed them. They must've thought they were a failure.
I am a Vineyard-trained worship leader and still admire how they reach out to those Jesus would reach out to. :)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am an enemy of the prosperity gospel. The Toronto Airport Vineyard Christian Fellowship was asked to leave the Association Of Vineyard Churches when Arnott disobeyed a direct order from the Vineyard head, John Wimber.
Wimber is a hero of mine. Anyone who would walk away from opening for The Beatles to serve Jesus, is , in my opinion, someone to be admired.
I have seen the damage done to someone when, though they whole-heartedly believed in the name-it-and-claim-it doctrine, it failed them. They must've thought they were a failure.
I am a Vineyard-trained worship leader and still admire how they reach out to those Jesus would reach out to. :)
I'm so thankful you did not take my information as an attack... I do not desire to debate this topic... the topic of BAD DOCTRINE is something I am not able to discuss in a rational manner... and so I just stay away from it.... but you seem to get it... Bless you.

Reactions: Truman

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well... this is my TRIAL week... My account was not closed... I'm not sure that they even do this unless someone is banned. I will decide by Sunday... if I'm staying or going.
I almost got banned yesterday... if the person would have gotten their way... I would have been....so YEAH... I'm just not
handling the forums very well...

I don't like many of the attitudes here...so... I'm truly NOT sure what I should do... I think what is keeping me here is that I really don't want
to go back to NO FELLOWSHIP what so ever.

I am sorry that you are having problems on these forums. People are all sorts and on any public place, like these boards, it is open season for all the nutters to come out, as they do! I recently got a "word" from one of the mods, for posting too much on the Holy Trinity!!! :eek: