What is faith.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Gal. 5:6 the last part says faith works by love. Your both right. There must be love and also that statement is doctrine. You can tell because it is doctrine which is teaching. It is teaching that love makes faith work. It is a instructional doctrine.

Heb. 11:1 is the definition of faith. Faith ---believing, trusting, etc. is the substance which is creating the thing hoped for.

The world sees that if we do get a thing from God that it is just luck. We don't have to answer for that .
Gal. 3:11 tells us the just---righteous shall live by faith.

concerning salvation, have asked many if they know if their going to heaven. They say I hope so. That is where faith must join with hope. Hope will not get you to heaven because we have to have --faith-- in God to get us to where we hope to be --heaven. Faith takes the place of hope but remains to be faith or trust. We must stand on the word of doctrine which is John 3:16, whosoever ----believes----in him should----not perrish----but have everlasting life.

It is not a good testimony to the world if they see us argue for they would say I don't want that religion. The word of God is always the basis for truth as we would not know the will of God. Opinions will always leave a door open for disagreement and not peace.
One of my biggest testimonies is how I lay in the death bed with my bible and God delivered me and healed me. It was said--- he is killing himself. That was 20 years ago. I didn't take medicine or go to the Dr. I felt God's presence and peace through the whole thing. My faith would not let go of his promise in Isa. 53---By his wounds we are healed. In the Hebrew it is wounds, in English it is stripes. The Heb. is pointing to where the atoning blood comes from, his wounds.

I am extremely excited for the people interested in this study. Hope you can learn from a experienced teacher who walks by faith 40 years now. PS. haven't even had a aspirin in 40 years. I was cut in half once but refused the shot. God put me back together again.

Opinions are all we have. Every time you read a verse of the Bible it is translated in your mind by your teaching, experience, and temperament.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Faith is the opposite of sight. Jesus said when I come will I really find faith? I'll tell you what- religion tore it down for me but our god is building it up for me! Halleluyah! I believe God and I believe his word! HalleluYAH! I've asked God for as many mustard seeds of faith as he is willing to give me and none of the religious know it alls are going to talk me out of it again!

I love you God and i believe your words and I thank you for the new covenant and I thank you for making me your child! I believe that you will never leave me or forsake me!

Come Lord Jesus!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Faith is the opposite of sight. Jesus said when I come will I really find faith? I'll tell you what- religion tore it down for me but our god is building it up for me! Halleluyah! I believe God and I believe his word! HalleluYAH! I've asked God for as many mustard seeds of faith as he is willing to give me and none of the religious know it alls are going to talk me out of it again!

I love you God and i believe your words and I thank you for the new covenant and I thank you for making me your child! I believe that you will never leave me or forsake me!

Come Lord Jesus!

I really liked your response Shirley and wanted to add this scripture to it.
For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love. Gal. 5:6

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
I knew a woman once who knew the bible. Her opinion of the bible was that I can go swimming by faith even though I have neumonia She died. Faith must be accompanied with wisdom.

In Jn. 3:21 the last part reveals that one will know their deeds are God's way.
The final conflict is that one can be doing things and not please God Matt. 7:7 They believed but evidently were doing something wrong.

If you went to the top of the empire state building and dropped a penny it would kill a person if it hit them in the head. That is a fact. The person could stand there and say so what it was just a penny. That is a opinion. Jn. 16:13 it is there that it says the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth. He helps us to find the truth which leads to life and eternal life.

The first thing that I noticed when I was born again was the Holy Spirit would convict me with a uneasy inner feeling. If he doesn't help us we would easily go astray.

Now to be a little more specific, there is a difference between opinion and using the mind for reasoning. The first one is leaving you with a choice. But the reasoning is evaluating what is to be interpreted as true and false.

Jn. 4: tells us of the woman at the well. She was having a very important time with Jesus. notice these things though.
A. she tells people in town that this man told her all she did wrong and that brought salvation to a certain amount of people. If we try to figure out in our reasoning we would say what's going on here. People getting saved because Jesus said what?
B. Jesus didn't say if you drink the filthy dirty water I give you you will never thirst again. The water is the water of life. We can easily see that it must be the right water to give life not the water in the well. We can only give water from the well in actual life but the water of life he gives must be truth. Only Jesus can give this water. The bible comes to us from God who spoke it to men. 2Pet. 1:21. Though I have had people play with me in the past I know that I am rewarded in heaven as well as on earth for doing the righteous deed of helping others see the truth. That is put here to show that no matter how people receive you God will bless and reward you for doing his will.

When Jesus puts joy in you by your faith it is so powerful that nothing takes it away. Gal. 5 calls it the fruit of the Spirit.
The bottom line is if you cook your cake in the oven with a stick of dynamite instead of butter---------kaboom. I hope I'm not coming across in this post as a smarty pants. It is my gift to speak in pictures to help be more clear. My sincere love to all, God bless am here to serve and bless.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Hebrews 11 is NT chapter about the subject of Faith, helping to define it per both Old and New Testament times...

Heb 11:1-3
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

It's a substance from our objective or subjective mind regarding confidence and hope. Paul says it is a 'proof' ("evidence) of things NOT seen. In Romans 8:24 Paul declares hope also in regard to something that one hasn't yet seen, for what a man sees why does he yet still hope for it?

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
(KJV)

Paul is actually applying physics with that example. We know things seen (this world) were not made of things which appear. In other words, we know material matter did not create itself (one of the first unbreakable laws of physics, that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, but only change its form). And by that operation, we know the worlds were framed by something else other than material matter, That being our Heavenly Father Himself having framed it by His Word.

For me, that puts our hope and Faith in the world to come through Jesus Christ. Like Peter taught in 2 Peter 3, knowing that God destroyed the old world, and there's to come a new heavens and a new earth, what manner of conversation should we who believe have?

Amen Veteran
That is the scripture that came to my mind first. Then this one.

Mathew 12
21 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' it will be done.

And then this one.

Hebrews 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Some times the lack of faith can be a catch 22. You have to have faith, that when you ask God too fill you with His Spirit that He will do it. Because with out His Spirit no one can have faith in His supernatural power that is available to all true believers.

Reactions: Shirley

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
How many times have read this scripture, Isa. 40:31 but missed something. They that wait. renew the strength didn't come instantly. It definately comes though. While waiting it is best to keep doing the right things we know to do. The promise cannot fail we can keep our spiritual wings flapping----we're going up. A eagle isn't instantly up there. He soars higher and higher. As we keep feeding on the word we grow stronger and stronger. As we climb closer to God we must stay focus on the sun--son. Run is what Paul talks about concerning the race of life. fainting is what Israel's enemies did when they saw the strong ones in battle victories. They had heard about Israel coming out of Egypt.. Rahab said we heard that and I want Israel's God. The world either sees a boohoo or a person who is strong in the Lord. God is commited to cause us to be so blessed the world will see his glory on us.
N.T. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
A little pun here. Heb. 12:1 lay aside all weight of sin and wait on the Lord he will bless.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
How many times have read this scripture, Isa. 40:31 but missed something. They that wait. renew the strength didn't come instantly. It definately comes though. While waiting it is best to keep doing the right things we know to do. The promise cannot fail we can keep our spiritual wings flapping----we're going up. A eagle isn't instantly up there. He soars higher and higher. As we keep feeding on the word we grow stronger and stronger. As we climb closer to God we must stay focus on the sun--son. Run is what Paul talks about concerning the race of life. fainting is what Israel's enemies did when they saw the strong ones in battle victories. They had heard about Israel coming out of Egypt.. Rahab said we heard that and I want Israel's God. The world either sees a boohoo or a person who is strong in the Lord. God is commited to cause us to be so blessed the world will see his glory on us.
A little pun here. Heb. 12:1 lay aside all weight of sin and wait on the Lord he will bless.

In context, the promise is to those who are weak.
28 Have you never heard?
Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding.29 He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
30 Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion.31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31 (NLT)

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc

The Lord will give us victory... From a place of weakness, like Israel. We are weak but he is strong, and when he rises in us, his enemies are scattered. :)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew a woman once who knew the bible. Her opinion of the bible was that I can go swimming by faith even though I have neumonia She died. Faith must be accompanied with wisdom.

In Jn. 3:21 the last part reveals that one will know their deeds are God's way.
The final conflict is that one can be doing things and not please God Matt. 7:7 They believed but evidently were doing something wrong.

If you went to the top of the empire state building and dropped a penny it would kill a person if it hit them in the head. That is a fact. The person could stand there and say so what it was just a penny. That is a opinion. Jn. 16:13 it is there that it says the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth. He helps us to find the truth which leads to life and eternal life.

The first thing that I noticed when I was born again was the Holy Spirit would convict me with a uneasy inner feeling. If he doesn't help us we would easily go astray.

Now to be a little more specific, there is a difference between opinion and using the mind for reasoning. The first one is leaving you with a choice. But the reasoning is evaluating what is to be interpreted as true and false.

Jn. 4: tells us of the woman at the well. She was having a very important time with Jesus. notice these things though.
A. she tells people in town that this man told her all she did wrong and that brought salvation to a certain amount of people. If we try to figure out in our reasoning we would say what's going on here. People getting saved because Jesus said what?
B. Jesus didn't say if you drink the filthy dirty water I give you you will never thirst again. The water is the water of life. We can easily see that it must be the right water to give life not the water in the well. We can only give water from the well in actual life but the water of life he gives must be truth. Only Jesus can give this water. The bible comes to us from God who spoke it to men. 2Pet. 1:21. Though I have had people play with me in the past I know that I am rewarded in heaven as well as on earth for doing the righteous deed of helping others see the truth. That is put here to show that no matter how people receive you God will bless and reward you for doing his will.

When Jesus puts joy in you by your faith it is so powerful that nothing takes it away. Gal. 5 calls it the fruit of the Spirit.
The bottom line is if you cook your cake in the oven with a stick of dynamite instead of butter---------kaboom. I hope I'm not coming across in this post as a smarty pants. It is my gift to speak in pictures to help be more clear. My sincere love to all, God bless am here to serve and bless.

Actually, it is your opinion that a penny dropped from the Empire State Building would kill someone - it is only an opinion which has be nurtured by an urban legend - here is another opinion gathered by experimentation:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3131332&page=1#.Tw9-yW_2aSo

We cannot generate truth or create anything completely new - all we can do is organize and rearrange matter.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
In the O.T. Israel broke covenant with God and went into captiviy. He in his mercy brought them back to himself. That is a tremendous thing because he is working on bringing Jesus into the world to be our saviour.
Though the covenant will always remain, can it be hindered for operation? It is first of all received by faith. That is all that it takes for us to have it. We can stop it's benefit till we repent of wrongs done.
The covenant is everlasting. Heb. 13: 20 I will show 10 ways the covenant can be obstructed within a period of time. 1. 1Pet. 3:7 the last part--that your prayers be not hindered.

Before we go any further, my goals in this post is to bless. example--- if a husband and wife can resolve their differences they ca pray and God has covenanted to give whatever they ask by faith. Matt. 21:22 and--all- things you ask in prayer you shall receive. I skipped a word---Beleiving--- believe is just another word for faith. It is the action of faith is why it is a different word.

So you see it is my desire that you receive all God has for you. Glad if you have read this far in the post.

tip--- take a step of faith and do something sweet for your partner in life. I am married 36 years the Feb. 14 2012. God has done so much for us even helping us through some disagreements. God bless.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
last post was showing 10 things that will stop covenant . Some may be wondering why faith seems to not work. The first was husband and wife relationship. today is the second one.

2. doubt.----Mk. 11:22-24 v.23 not doubt---in the heart. shall be able to move the obstacle. v.24 shows that the prayer for anything can be answered if not doubt. note the word anything you desire.
doubt says God can do this and he can't do that. The creator of the heavens earth etc. can do anything. He can even die on a cross and live again.
Gen. 18:1 He gave a child to barren Sarah.
Eph. 3:10 he is able to do exceeding abundantly above all--we ask or think.
He gave Mary a child without Joseph.
He is going to raise many people in the twinkling of a eye up to heaven. They must believe and not doubt that they will go up.

to be clear the covenant is not being saved but whether receiving his blessing or not. We have a passage about rewards in heaven. It shows that they could be wood hay stubble, 1Cor.3:15. They shall be saved but that's all.

Rom. 10:17 faith comes by hearing the word of God. Eph. 3:10 is a example of that.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
If you went to the top of the empire state building and dropped a penny it would kill a person if it hit them in the head. That is a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282003_season%29#Episode_4_.E2.80.93_.22Penny_Drop.2C_Microwave_Madness.2C_Radio_Tooth_Fillings.22

Myth Statement
A penny dropped from a skyscraper lands with enough force to either kill a pedestrian on the sidewalk below or embed itself into the sidewalk.

Status
Busted

Notes
Firing a penny at terminal velocity (65 miles per hour (105 km/h)) into concrete and asphalt disks and a ballistics gel head with a human skull failed to result in any penetrations, likely because the speed is too low and a penny's mass too small. Even when fired from a rifle, the penny was unable to penetrate concrete or a ballistic gel dummy's skull. Even modifying a rifle to shoot a penny at supersonic speeds failed to cause a penetration. In comparison, a real 6.5mm bullet split the dummy skull. Visiting the Empire State Building, the likely source of the myth, they realize that updrafts and roofs of lower floors would prevent a thrown penny from reaching street level.

However, I would observe that faith may be best expressed by:

Matt. 11:12
And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.

... where, by faith, the saints ardently pursue the things of God, and thus receive them.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
So are you saying that Eve decided to eat the fruit because she messed up her understanding of the rules?

Anything in the Garden could have been misused and and resulted in disobedience and the resulting Fall.

I can't believe you said this. You impress me as being far more discerning that this. Adam and Eve sinned because they disobeyed God's voice. There was one specific command, Eve disobeyed that voice because she was deceived by the voice of the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the vainglory of life. Adam fell because he obeyed his wife's voice.

Faith is trusting the voice [word] of God. Belief in God is not faith. The devils believe in God. Awareness of God isn't faith. Faith that isn't the faith of Christ is meaningless. Jesus trusted his father's voice. That is the faith of Christ.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't believe you said this. You impress me as being far more discerning that this. Adam and Eve sinned because they disobeyed God's voice. There was one specific command, Eve disobeyed that voice because she was deceived by the voice of the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the vainglory of life. Adam fell because he obeyed his wife's voice.

Which was all rooted in Pride.

Faith is trusting the voice [word] of God. Belief in God is not faith. The devils believe in God. Awareness of God isn't faith. Faith that isn't the faith of Christ is meaningless. Jesus trusted his father's voice. That is the faith of Christ.

Sin is misusing God's creation - any part of God's creation could have been misused.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
That is the third point. we have the first two in the latter posts. now we have obedience.
In Rom. 2:8 we have how those who are contentious and obey not the truth but are in unrighteousness. will not be in covenant blessing.
Rom. 6:12 there's that lust word. We must get rid of sin. I am preaching to myself also. Am not better than you. confess your faults to one another that ye may be healed. Am thankful for forgiveness 1Jn. 1:9.
That's the key---do what God says is right and ask forgiveness. That's a greater revival than all the singing in church to pump up can do.
Gal.3:1 and 5:7 obeying God's truth is a thing that is more than listening or reading. It is putting into life the practice of truth.
One time a learning pastor friend said to me --he was a wrestler by the way, He said you mean you would stand there and let them hit you. I said I would just turn the other cheek. He couldn't handle that.

I always look to God for my protection. If they stone me I will go to him. One time I was sharing Jesus in Miami. While sharing Jesus a gang came up and wanted me to give them a ride. I just did it. While driving the Lord dropped a message in my heart. I shared Samson with them. Said , Have you all heard the story of Samson? Then said he took the jawbone of a donkey and beat many men. Then I slapped the seat. They all acted like they saw a ghost they wanted out of the car right now. It was awesome. The Holy Spirit had filled me while talking about Jesus and then I had a congregation in the car. It was a short message hahaha. At that time I was obeying by sharing the gospel. Got the reward of obedience to. see Col. 3:20-22 obey parents and masters. remember get forgiveness and then obey. God bless. may you walk in covenant of his peace.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the 5th way that we hinder covenant is when we sin. Isa. 59:2 sin hides God's face so he won't hear you.
in Lam. 3:44 God covered with a cloud so prayers not pass through. In sa. 44:22 the clouds of sin blotted out. return to me I have redeemed thee.
Acts 3:19 repent and sins blot out then comes refreshing from the Lord.
we se that repent means restore and sin forgiven then God will hear our prayers.
1Jn.1:9 if we confess our sins he is faithful and righteous to forgive us.
covenant blessings flow to us when we are restored.
The devil waits to see how he can discourage us with guilt. He doesn't want our prayers answered because he wants us to go astay. A life without faith causes one to dry up spiritually. Jesus is to us like springs of water in the dessert.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the 6th way we hinder covenant is we don't ask. Jam. 4:2-3 you have not because you ask not.
or ask amiss. The prayer life of many is so small because they don't have faith to believe. They don't expect a answer so why pray. Here is a encouragement.
God wants us to pray so much that he gave us a special little sign. look at Matt. 7:7 This passage was written in Greek. That is because it is N.T.. God by the Holy Spirit gave his word to write down. He had a secret plan for the time when the bible was translated into english. That was a big event you know? It was also difficult to put 2 languages together into englis which they didn't know that well. A jew knows his well but not english. So it is not good to criticise a few translation mistakes. When you read a passage it is clear enough.
In Matt. 7:7 we have one such sign from God that he will answer prayer.
ask, seek, knock. the Lord showed me this when reading it. Lets look again.
a----sk
s----eek
k------nock do you see it. What are the chances of that happening?????? Isa. 57:19 I create the fruit of the lips peace peace. also in Zech. 4:7 shall bring forth the headstone shouting grace grace unto it. it is a jewish custom to use the double word I don't know if that applies there. It really is a strong thing if it does. ask ask. God bless.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

What things?

The secular world misplaces faith. The word is used seemingly without meaning, like"have a good day". In the world, we are told to have faith.

FAITH IN WHAT? Ourselves? Our political leaders (oh, please)? Our humanity (which is riddled with error and sin)?

Biblical faith is something else. Biblical faith is based on a substance. What substance?

Two things, God and His promises.

First is a relationship with Jesus. You've got to KNOW him in whom you trust before you can have faith in him. Hey, you can't hire someone to run a credit check on the First Bank of Christ. It just isn't there. You can listen to Jesus' reputation, but it doesn't do anything for you if you don't know Him personally.

That relationship has to have history, personal history. The Bible is full of examples. God didn't simply pop in out of thin air and suddenly demand faith. There's a long, very long history of a relationship there. In fact the entire Bible is a story of relationships with God.

A man has to have personal History with Jesus to base his faith upon. That is substantial. It's the same with a friend or your wife. That kind of currency can't be found in your wallet, but its there nonetheless or at least it ought to be.

The other thing is God's word. Jesus says what He means and means what He says. No wonder He refused to run for political office. Couple an unswerving devotion to keep His word with God's personal history in the life of a man and you have FAITH. It is intangible, but its as solid as a rock. You can't point to it, but it's real. You can't eat it, but you can't live without it.

Faith is a substance. A relationship with God and a dependence upon His unchangeable nature working in our personal lives.

You can build a life on that sort of substance.