What is faith.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Faith comes from the heart.

Romans 10:4-11
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, "The man who does those things shall live by them."
6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
7 or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).
8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
NKJV

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
And thus a very valuable gift from God. :)
I agree, each one of us are at different levels of faith, depending on the measure He has given to us,(Rom 12:3) some have more faith than others. It is as the parable of the talent, what will we do with the measure given to us?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Faith comes from the heart.

Romans 10:4-11
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, "The man who does those things shall live by them."
6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
7 or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).
8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
NKJV
Nice passage. Thanks for quoting it. But I bet that if we discussed what the heart is, we would most certainly get a mixed bag of replies. I would like to offer my input on it.
I asked God what the heart is some years ago and in a few weeks was watching a program that was selling tapes on subliminal reprogramming. They went into detail about the subconscious mind, and while I was listening, I kept getting a quickening on the inside. I finally stopped and asked God what this was, and remembered the question I had asked Him about the heart.

So I put it to the test. I got out my concordance and found many passages where the word heart was used, and substitued subconscious in them. And wow! Based on the descriptions from the t.v. show, the substitution worked in every case.

The fact is, the subconscious mind is a clinically proven part of our phsyche. So then, if it is real, and if it is so influential in our thinking, as reported, then it wouldn't make sense that God has not mentioned it in scripture. But He has. He just has a different name for it.

The heart can think, imagine, believe, understand, and hold information; out of the abundance of our heart, the mouth speaks. Jesus told us to guard our heart, for out of it springs the issues of life. All these can be said about the subconscoius.

And yet, many teachers merely say that the heart is the seat of our emotions. No, it is much more. It is the centre, the core of our minds. That is what heart means. The heart of the matter. The heart of the earth. The heart of our mind. And what we allow in, certainly influences what comes out of our lives. In fact, Jesus once proclaimed that he who hears the word of God and understands it, bears fruit. In that passage; the parable of the sower, the heart is called the soil or ground where the word is planted.

It is proven that the subconscious is capable of containing information that is contrary to other information in it. James coined the phrase " double minded" and urged them to purify their hearts (4:8). So how do we erradicate false or errant doctrine from our hearts? Through understanding. When we get understanding on a subject, error cannot gain ground in our hearts.

This is also the key to the armor of God. It is about understanding. When we know (understand) in our heart how and why we are saved, and how we are righteous, we are protected by the corresponding armor....etc.

I did not intend to make this off topic. But I responded to the mention of the heart.

As for faith, it is about accepting what we are told. A con artist knows all about faith. He might not be fully convicning, but all he really needs is just enough faith from his victim for the desired response. In the same way, our faith is not required to be perfect. We merely need to believe enough to respond. And for that matter, faith is not the qualification for salvation. It is merely the means by which we recieve a gift from God. The actual qualification is humility. He gives grace to the humble, resists the proud.

Let me put it this way; I may require a license to drive, but I still need to qualify for that license, by passing a test and being of a certain age. In the same way, faith may be required for justification, but the qualification is something else altogether. He who humbles himself will be exalted, and he who exalts himself will be abased (Luke18:10-14).

In short, I am saying that in salvation; the giving of eternal life, the role of faith is not to qualify for the gift, but merely to recieve the gift. The giving of that gift is called grace. Thus by grace we are saved, through faith. Faith is an ability we all have. It is not the gift. Salvation is the gift. Salvation is not of ourselves, not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph.2:8,9). Contrary to what some insist, that passage is not sying that faith is the gift. Paul did not change the subject in mid sentence.

Anyway, this was not intended as any kind of rebuttle to your post or any in particular. Just some added sharing on the subject.
grace and peace, Howie

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
good on the heart stuff.

The person who only thinks they are saved, will be easily be moved by circumstances. They must know they are, that is why the inner person must come up with evidence. it is not difficult. All that is needed is to believe the bible and what it says. faith is based on the true acceptance of the word. we weren't there at the cross, it will take more than saying I guess he went to the cross. We must know that he went to the cross. The bible proves this. Read Ps. 22 for example. read all of it and then the last verse---he hath done this. that phrase is the same as it is finished. Look at Isaiah 53, he was wounded for our transgressions. the righteous servant
makes atonement here. why all the prophets long before tell the seed of David will come and save us. After reading hundreds of messianic prophesies we see that we are truly convinced he died for us.

This is also the way all the promises of God are proven. example-- Matt. 6:33 and Philip. 4:19 and Ps. 23:1 just a few which show without doubt that God will supply our needs. That is also called salvation.

The Jews understood the word peace to be shalom. it meant total well being in every area of one's life. that was the faith. Read Hebrews 11: and see the words these all by faith ---did this and that. That is the faith we are looking into not just being born again. God bless.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faith is suspending our natural tendency to be critical, cynical and opinionated within our relationships with God and others. Just like suspending your opinion about the outcome of a movie is required in order to enjoy a film; we can only learn from each other / empathize / love if we stop forming opinions, second guessing and passing judgment within relationships.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Gal.6:1 please read this passage for the full meaning. meekness is a great thing in that it realizes where one has been and how God has forgiven many faults. So we can be gentle and meek with others to help them see the errors which they may be entrapped.

Opinions soon disappear when people live by the instructions of Gods word. Here is a good test according to the word. Rom. 8:6 ,7,8 does what I do make me carnal minded? A Christian is given freedom to choose whatever they like, God chooses to bless those who choose what pleases him. That is how we grow to be good disciples.

Phil. 1:21-22 to live is Christ and also, to live in the flesh this will be my fruit. These are my statements about the scriptures.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal.6:1 please read this passage for the full meaning. meekness is a great thing in that it realizes where one has been and how God has forgiven many faults. So we can be gentle and meek with others to help them see the errors which they may be entrapped.

Opinions soon disappear when people live by the instructions of Gods word. Here is a good test according to the word. Rom. 8:6 ,7,8 does what I do make me carnal minded? A Christian is given freedom to choose whatever they like, God chooses to bless those who choose what pleases him. That is how we grow to be good disciples.

Phil. 1:21-22 to live is Christ and also, to live in the flesh this will be my fruit. These are my statements about the scriptures.

Opinions are attempts by the ego to own ideas about the world and truth. They are meaningless and impede our relationships with God and others.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
If faith were to cease then Hebrews 11:1 would be of no need. all throughout we see many wonderful saints who are using faith but not to be born again. one for example was they conquered by faith. the word faith in this context is what I am talking about.

in Matt. 8:10 Jesus marveled because of his great faith.. it was for healing for someone else and not being born again here.

What is really difficult concerning all this is that the bible was not written in our time. It is easy therefore for those who have no faith in the supernatural to explain it away by saying God doesn't do that anymore. Because the majority, which Jesus said, straight is the gate and narrow is the way, and few there be that find it.
Many can stand up to one person and say what there belief is and the one will walk away saying to themselves, I have the truth and all that crowd in one place are against it. Even Jesus knew he would have opposition by the many as he and a few disciples would be opposed and rejected. That doesn't make the few as to be losers. They are the ones who win all of God's blessings in abundance. They have a right to their opinions and choices.

Jesus said that if the world hate you know that it hated me first. but be of good cheer I have overcome the world. So have we who believe God's word. The bible ,God's word is the final authority. Look at this scripture---Mark 10:30--- shall receive now in this time. a 100 fold. For sure they didn't buy by credit, they received these things from God. Phil. 4:19 God would supply --all-- their needs. If labor was involved God blessed the work of their hands. One day couldn't get the truck off the ground because jack was wrong size. well with flat tire can't go anywhere. The Holy Spirit spoke to me and said how to do it. I knew it wasn't me, I couldn't have thought of that.

Apr 24, 2012
If no one has posted it.

James 2:18

But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

New International Version (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James+2&version=NIV

You may look below at another part of The New Testament which may reveal to anyone the truth about the qualities of God and themselves.

If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.

Part of 1 Peter 4:11

New International Version (NIV)

http://www.biblegate...r 4&version=NIV

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Matt. 7:22 I agree with the James post, faith without works is dead. The passage 7:22 is a compatible one in that we have to make sure that our works line up with the bible. The Holy Spirit shows us what pleases God. The passage is showing that if we live in sin and iniquity, and do so called good works, they are not counted as faith. The hard part is when he says to them who appear to be Christians who are doing perhaps good works, because they have a wrong conception of grace saying grace allows us to sin and serve God also, and that the Holy Spirit doesn't convict of sin. They are told to depart from God because they are not saved.

Sin can be forgiven but not take advantage of grace. Paul said in Rom. 6:1 shall we continue to sin that grace may abound. So we see that those who are evil in life as Christians, can be told to depart from God and service to him. Like Paul ,1Cor. 9:27 He was concerned that his service would be turned to being a castaway. So he kept his body in control and disciplined it like one runnig a race to win the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus.

There is a tremendous amount of idolatry in Christian camps which must go before their service for Christ is acceptable.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
I love this passage in the bible. Hebrews 7:25 Jesus prays continually for us. You can never fail if you follow his bi ble instructions.
look how dfficult a thing we face. Matt. 10:22 you shall be hated by all men. Easy passage for quick readers to miss. Certainly he isn't saying all men. Just all unbelievers. Christians don't have hate. Well not supposed to. They must not be Christians then. Jesus loves us so much he prays for us that our faith fail not.

Matt. 10:22 shows us that we must endure to the end or what? We wouldn't need prayer if it didn't matter. We have faith in Jesus to help us as we endure. He doesn't just pray, he works on our behalf. proof of this is when Peter denied Jesus. Jesus told him before the cock will crow he will deny him 3 times. That would mean Jesus knew before and had prayed for him. Matt. 26:34 Jesus Holy Spirit is with us watching to see our way and keep us . He works as Jesus is praying for us. He is our guide and protection.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
For a example of faith----I am always speaking and confessing the promises of God's word by faith. I confess 2Cor9:8 the last part of this abundant grace promise is we shall have sufficiency of all things and may abound to every good work.

The Lord saved me 1,600.00 $$ by helping me by showing what was wrong with my music equipment. That means didn't have to buy new ones. He showed how to fix it free. Also by that problem being fixed he caused me to know what I have is better than what money can buy by following his instructions that is what I have now.

The reason this faith is two-fold. One is believing his promise and the other is that when I said I will go look by faith in music stores for the new and believe him to lead me to what I really need. He led me right back to my equipment and solved the problem. I didn't know what to do and told no one else. It was all a matter of hearing his voice.

actually was blessed with a 100 $$$ and thought he sent that to add to money had already. the repair cost nothing at all.

joshhuntnm

Jul 1, 2012
it is like if I say, "I believe in Tennis". You don't take that to mean I believe that tennis exists. You take it to mean I think tennis is great. i watch tennis. I play tennis. I have some raquets in my trunk.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
For those who need to know the real teaching on positive confession of faith.

As any other teaching there will be those who twist it out of context. Most here the wrong thing and say they don't believe in positive confession. That is because many have turned it into foolishness. Many in the covetous camps, are those who like to speak about confessing money to come. positive confession has a lot more depth than that.

Old stuff--King David said, the Lord turn the council of Ahithophel. He also said before it happened---his life was at stake, Goliath will fall by the God of Israel. The issue that confession needs addressed is just how it applies. Mk. 11:22-24 talks about speaking to mountains and they will be moved. Whether spiritual or literal mountains will move-----but not without a promise spoken by the word of God. This promise must be spoken in faith and doesn't always see the mountain move instantly-----that is God's decision, we must know that th mt. will be moved after the promise is confessed in Jesus name.

It is easy to be a ministry begging for money and some body gives. Real faith is when we ask God and don't tell anybody our need.

God will send every answer of faith in time. If there is a emergency that is different. Here is a example.

While on the way to work one day, it was while driving in snow conditions. While coming down a hill where at the end there will be only a left or right turn, the road was solid ice. at the end where you make the turns, was a drop off 40-50 feet and then a brick house. I found myself in a hydroplane. Had only time to shout Jesus name. just before the end of the road and my life, This huge noise occured. My tires were grinding as if something ruff was under them. I stopped and proceeded to turn left towards work.

It was a miracle. Just like there was dry road under the tires. It couldn't be for I saw all ice and snow all the way in front of me.
In that case the confession of Jesus name was all that was needed to save me. I may add that I claim Ps. 91:1 for protection every morning. I know I am safe under the feathers of his wings daily by faith. This is one of many testimonies like it in my past.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Lk. 10:41 Jesus speaks to Martha about being careful and troubled. Greek it is merimnais which is worry or anxiety Thorubazei is troubled which is outward agitation Phil. 4:6-7 here we have be careful for--because of---nothing. v.7 shows that in that process of our faith of not worry or troubled , then God's part will be peace and answered prayer. that would be give up 2 and get 2.. I love what we see in Gen. 16 with Hagar. she is worried and troubled about Sarah and her relationship with her. God who sees and hears her gives her the wisdom which will result in peace and her prayers answered. it may be noticed that she is at a well
and meets with the God who met the woman in Jn.4: at Jacob's well. In both accounts wisdom is provided for both woman. They both were drinking of the living waters which only God can give. Isa. 12:3 they both drank from the wells of salvation which brings joy. Weare invited by the Spirit to drink from these wells also.

as a matter of fact if you read this post you drank from the wells also. Bless you.

joshhuntnm

Jul 1, 2012
[background=rgb(252, 252, 255)]If I say to you, "I believe in Tennis. I think tennis can save you from being ouof shape and over weight." I don't mean I believe that tennis exists. And if this kind of belief in tennis doesn't get my on the court, that kind of faith in tennis will not save me from being out of shape.[/background]

rand

Sep 10, 2012
hi Brodav9,

You forgot to mention that from our heart will flow rivers of living water--john 7:37-39, So I believe that others can taiste that Living Water thru us. Not that we can Give them the Holy Spirt. The 5 wise virgins couldn't give the foolish virgins their oil (Holy Spirit), instead they were told to go get their own., but we can give them a taiste of and proof of His Spiritual Power if we have that power working in us. Not every Christain has that power working in them. Every Christian has the Holy Spirit in them, but many deny He comes with power so they refuse to exercise it.. But, if we are walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh, then we can give others to drink of the living water.

Just thought I'd point that out. I like your posts though.