What is faith.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the 7th way to hinder covenant is to not forgive people. In Matt. 6:12-14 both verses show a two thing with God. that as we forgive we shall be forgiven. If not forgiven because not forgive we won't be blessed. here is two unique passages from bible that are enlightening.

1 Sam. 24:8-10 we see David forgives Saul even to the sparing of his life. Saul could have killed David before that. God was in control so David was always protected. Now look at 2 Sam. 12:13 Just as David is rebuked for his sin, He is repentant. God lets him know that he is forgiven. He is rewarded with mercy perhaps the past is the key. He was merciful to Saul. God is always forgiving us. We can do the same. Rom. 8 says all things work together for the good.

Joseph in Gen. 50 forgives his brothers who would kill him. Both David and Joseph were not killed though. On the other hand Jesus was killed and orgave while on the cross.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the 9th hindrance to covenant is unbelief.

Jesus did not do many works in this one because of unbelief. Matt. 13:58. the churches of today who do not believe God will do things will not be able to get it done.
Matt. 17:20 God doesn't require more than faith as a mustard seed. we can't do it so we are just to believe.
Mark 9:24 we can ask God to help us to have faith and not have unbelief.
Heb. 4:6 they didn't enter because of unbelief. They saw many miracles yet didn't make it. perhaps faith is the need after seeing.
it will take faith to go up in the rapture, so we must get faith in our hearts now.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
humans are afraid. We are creators - not creators. We fear. God creates. We dare to provide an opinion on God's creation. Silly!

God loves us no matter. Submit, learn to love not judge. Be redeemed - God wants to be in love with us. Our destiny is is love and worship of the most high

love

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the 10th and last hindrance to covenant is God's will.
1Jn. 5:14-15 if----we ask ----according to his will----he hears us. God's promises are his will. We can have faith and confidence in his word.
In many passages we see Jesus rebuking Pharisees, casting swine by 1,000s into the waters by the demoniac. He didn't do it but allowed it. He told the woman the childrens bread isn't for dogs. She said I know but don't the dogs eat the crumbs. In the book of revelations he will judge the nations in his wrath. Bottom line is when we have children and don't correct them they don't turn out right. Proverbs says spare the rod and spoil the child. We spank them out of love not hate. it is for their benefit. God chastens his children or they aren't his chasten is a firm instruction. Jesus rebuked Peter and says you have a devil, that was when he told Jesus not to go to Jerusalem.
Not to mention God punishing Israel by sending them to Assryria and Babylon. The issue isn't giving up on people but restoring them. If we are self disciplined we will still do and believe as we please. That leads to rebelion. Abraham obeyed God and that's why he was blessed.
Satan promised Jesus the kingdoms of this world. So blessings have two sources, God brings his blessings with blessings on them. Some singers who believed in God turned to drugs and drink. Now they don't sing. it hurts all of us, so mamma was right she said, we all have an effect on others though we don't see it. May we live God's way and glorify him by obeying him and his word. next----------------time-------------the disciples question about prayer and faith.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
It seems as if you could look right up towards heaven and talk to God. Wouldn't it be great if when we talk to God he talks right back to us?
Some may not agree that he does that today. He talks to me almost every day. I know it's not me because I'm not able to astound myself. He does though.
So why does the disciples have to be taught to pray? Lk. 11:1. John spent much time close to Jesus and was taught how to pray. He had authority to teach others. Jn. 10:4 his sheep know his voice. The Holy Spirit is in us telling us the things we need to remember . Jn. 14:27 he is the Spirit of truth. v.26 he causes to remember the teaching. He will teach us how to pray in faith and see God answer our prayers. Once you hear him speak you will increase very well in your prayer life and want more and more. This is a addiction that is acceptable. I can't wait until each morning to pray. He knows i'm busy at times so he just starts talking to me and I'll say Lord as soon as possible I'll finish what I have to get done. He just waits or just does the talking while I work.

One out of many examples---- I was working on the truck and couldn't get the crank to lift it. As I was walking he told me to bend a certain bar I had and put a metal stick through it. I knew it was a voice other than mine. I couldn't do anything to fix it. I just prayed and then as walking he told me and it was neat how it worked. To humble myself, sometimes I haven't listened and that made problems.

One time a street gang got in car with me. God dropped the story of Samson in my heart. I told some of it till telling about how he beat a 1,000 men with a jawbone of a donkey. I slapped the seat and they all said frightened let us out here.
You know God protected a whole nation of Israel with the donkey mouth. See story of Balaam.
He also revealed to Jerusalem that he was their king by riding a donkey in their streets. Solomon did the same. A king was known for riding a horse unless he was coming in humbleness. So theres how the donkey speaks.

If those who are grafted into the tree are blessed, om.11 and no curse can come because it cannot be reversed, Balaam story. How can harm or tribulation come to them. Num. 22:
may we be in covenant with God and he teach us how to pray.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Rom.10:17 there is a difference. We all know knowledge comes by hearing the word of God.

In Heb.4:2 it is mentioning here that there was a preaching of the word that they heard. So there we have knowledge.
but we have that the word did not profit them because they didn't mix faith with it.
So we see faith comes by first hearing the word, but must also be mixed with it.

Heb. 11:6 it is not possible to please God without faith. Faith is trusting and believing the word.
So when we hear the word, we must also believe. The word helps us to believe also.

The word was spoken to Peter to step out of the boat to walk on the water. Peter did that and actually walked on the water.
Then he got his faith off onto the circumstances. He was told to walk on water not circumstances. His faith was misdirected after he launched out in faith. Faith must trust and hold on till the accomplishment which faith is seeking to win.

It is so important that the word of God brings life and not just education.
1Cor. 8:1 knowledge puffeth up but love edifies. faith in the word is a verb, a action. I watched a video about the puffer fish on you tube. it is amazing how God speaks through his creation.

I thought I was special in my earlier Christian years. God in his mercy shows me special things in his word because I refuse anymore to think highly of myself. faith is in the Great God Jesus.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
the promises of God are over 7,000. for example Phil. 4:19 my God shall supply all my needs. Many people in the world are starving, homeless, and many don't believe in Jesus. Some get things through fortunate situations. Good luck some say.
good luck is a gamble because it may not come. Faith is a gauranteed situation. Prayer is not asking God and then him be thought to be unfaithful. calling God to do something and not sure he will do it is not respectful. God is not a liar.
By praying in faith we are trusting him who is faithful. Even the devil knows God is faithful. He didn't have a problem tempting the son. He must know God is faithful and will do all he said he will do in the book of revelations. Even bind him in Hades for a 1,000 years for the millenium period.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faith is a universal concept. it works whether you are saved or not. our minds are amazing things. if you ever read about what the mind is capable of it may surprise you. i have seen i lady who must of weighed about 150 lbs with only one arm held out hold up a 200+lbs man. i have seen people that when they maintain a happy disposition see good things keep happening to them. i have seen people afraid of something and in the next instance not afraid. what i am referring to were done by people who study the mind.

everything in the world is our reality. do we believe it is real or not? reality is determined by how each person sees it. i have heard of people who live life in a fantasy world every day of their life. we call most people who live in a different reality then our own insane. i have known people who are able to do things that are considered impossible or heard about things that are unexplainable by science. Jesus was a superhero by our standards if you want to look at it from that way. jesus changed his appearance either by clouding the mind or by physical appearance, jesus did transmutation, Jesus walked through a door, Jesus healed, Jesus told the past, present, and the future, jesus shone bright, walked on water, commanded the elements, jesus teleports, and ect. i don't know all the fancy words used for abilities such as these but the bible teaches that we will do these and greater works. most christians i know do not believe this most of this is even possible let alone seeing themselves doing these things. if you cannot see yourself doing these things then it will never happen for you. the same thing goes for prayer or anything else. if you can't see yourself recieving peace, extra money or anything else then we will not get it because faith is how we recieve from God.

i am just writing this quickly so there is no scripture to back up my words but if we need to see scripture to back up my points then i will provide it. hope this helps

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
It is very important to understand the two concepts of faith. One is faith in God He who created the heavens and earth and all, even us, is the one to have faith in and to trust in. It is only good luck to believe anything can happen when one is not certain of results. Prayer is the means we use to contact our God through Jesus Christ. Faith is believing for that answer.

Blind faith is just good or bad luck. In the old testament the people who rebelled against God believed in false gods. All idols and false gods are representatives of demons---fallen angels. They fit in the category of those representatives who are in league with Satan. In Matt. 4:4 Satan is offering Jesus the kingdoms of the world if he will bow to him.

All this points to the fact that all who go to Satan for things, will be punished with Satan. God must be number one and not like the world and it's 666. We are saved by faith and faith pleases God. Heb. 11:1-6.

faith is more than salvation as seen here in ch. 11: faith does many things it is through the operation of God through Jesus that is not occult and wicked. God is so wonderful and he is worthy to be praised and trusted.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Faith = belief = trust = confidence

To have faith in God a person must believe, trust, have confidence in God.

A person must believe God's word, promises, etc.

Salvation (saved) = to have belief, faith, trust, and confidence in what God has revealed to us in His scriptures. For us, today, Jesus (God) sent Paul with the gospel of reconcilation (grace) through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. Everyone that has placed their belief, faith, trust, and confidence in Jesus' promse of salvation by His shed blood will be saved. Those that do not will not be saved.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
I total agree with last post. This whole what is faith starts with salvation. it is my hopes that all will see that faith can also apply to believing in answered prayer-- without the hope so thinking. If one is not confident in prayer they won't pray. We live in a world without any faith. Jesus said when he returns will he find faith on the earth. There are so many who believe in Jesus--in all stages, but if he doesn't think he will find faith it must mean another faith than salvation. not another religion.

This can be seen by the word salvation even in the O.T. David used the word salvation concerning being delivered from enemies. That would be his prayers of faith answered. He was already a child of God.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Faith = belief = trust = confidence

To have faith in God a person must believe, trust, have confidence in God.

A person must believe God's word, promises, etc.

Salvation (saved) = to have belief, faith, trust, and confidence in what God has revealed to us in His scriptures. For us, today, Jesus (God) sent Paul with the gospel of reconcilation (grace) through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. Everyone that has placed their belief, faith, trust, and confidence in Jesus' promse of salvation by His shed blood will be saved. Those that do not will not be saved.

Yes Paul said it here in his letter to those at Galatia.
1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.2 Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you.3 I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses.4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.5 But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith the righteousness God has promised to us.6 For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.7 You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth?8 It certainly isn’t God, for he is the one who called you to freedom.9 This false teaching is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough!10 I am trusting the Lord to keep you from believing false teachings. God will judge that person, whoever he is, who has been confusing you.11 Dear brothers and sisters, if I were still preaching that you must be circumcised—as some say I do—why am I still being persecuted? If I were no longer preaching salvation through the cross of Christ, no one would be offended.12 I just wish that those troublemakers who want to mutilate you by circumcision would mutilate themselves.[
Gal 5:1-12 (NLT)

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
In past witnessing to people , always asked the question, if you were to die right now would you go to heaven?
it didn't matter whether they were a Christian or not they would say I don't know. The reason the Christians were most of the time not sure was that they were living sinful lives, or had not confessed sins as they go.

Many have been shocked when my emphasis was on the last part of Jn. 3:16. They have been sitting in churches for years and don't even know the last part of that verse. They have not been taught about having faith, so they just say I hope so.
v. 16 shall not perrish but have everlasting life. Now I know that the guilt thing can be removed by confessing sins, 1Jn. 1:9 we need to live righteous holy lives so we will not feel condemned.

My mother in law, who is a professing Christian cusses me all the time. I forgive her but does she have faith in her heart? or head? it is a shame about my parents who used to go to church and then go to cult Satan worshipping meetings. It is important to get off the fence and say do I have faith in heart or just think so in my head.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Won't those in the lake of fire be constantly aware of God? Where do you get this from?
Those who are thrown in the lake of fire will be dead. The fire consumes them and they are gone.

18 "You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.

this scripture is a true likeness of "the lake of fire". Lake of fire is a bad translation. the true meaning is "coraled lightning fire". The same fire that fell on the captain and fifty and the same fire that took Sodom and Gomorrah.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Just for starters, we see in Rev.20:10 That the evil one and his will be in lake of fire forever and ever.. That of coarse is just a specific statement while concerning others going in that lake must be mentioned else where.

Gal. 5:6 if we were to say this passage applied to salvation many would have no faith. I didn't mean for that to sound critical. Just that it is seen that there would be another direction where this is going. Not about salvation, though we must love God. We remember though that he first loved us. so faith here must apply to a believing faith which includes all believing for all God's word declares. If you think about it, you just received a message by faith and love came when it was understood in the heart. That free gift of salvation when undrstood and received in the heart, created within us a desire to love God. First was gratitude. So faith works by our loving God not just a mindset that we get things from God. His side is I love you and will take care of you so now believe me by faith to do this. God bless.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
In Rev. 14:9-11 we see that those who take the mark of the beast burn forever. This would include those who are not real bad but are afraid to resist. It is notable that a mandatory implant will be given in March 23, 2013. Being mandatory it is that one will not be able to buy or sell. All money will be in a bank. No more use of cash. Those who are here who reject the mark will have to believe by faith for anything they have to have which costs money..

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
There was a time a few years ago, where the Lord wanted to quicken my faith in prayer. A story came to mind and it seemed as if it was my thinking. God was showing it.

It was about a little boy who asked mom for a cookie. she was on the other end of the house but she spoke out loud, yes you can have a cookie. He goes to the jar and his little sister says, what are you doing? I'm getting a cookie mom says I can. No you can't mom didn"t say you could. Yes she did, no she didn't. He hollers mom didn't you say I could have a cookie? Yes she replied.

That is what faith is all about. God says yes and the devil says no. A couple hours later my wife brings in the grand daughter to give her lunch and puts on Barney for her to watch. When I walked in the living room after her being there a while she says, papa do you want a cookie? As I looked in her hand to see the cookie, her arm passed the TV. Barney was with the kids there making cookies---my grand daughter didn't know it and I said look at that, you are handing me a cookie and they ar making cookies.

The Holy Spirit has ways of confirming and driving a point home. The promises of God are yes and amen. Faith doesn't take no for a answer, it will be contested though, Heb. 10:23 hold fast to your confession of faith without wavering for he is faithful who promised.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Matt. 18:18 whatsoever, whatsoever, you read the rest. why would we have to bind and ,loose anything if there was nothing to bind or loose? If you are having a tough time with doing this, it is the trying of your faith. At one time the trick was on me that I had to fast and do all kinds of things. All that is needed is faith.

Once when the girl was wiggling in the ground like a snake, she cut me for trying to help her, she stood up and walked away like nothing had happened. Maybe I should have binded in her the spirit.

People with serious addictions and secret problems need help. One fellow I am seing now is constantly experiencing seeing demons, wakes up with blood cuts all over him after sleep. Is having dreams of killing himself. He wants to be a Christian missionary. So far he says depression is not like it used to be.

I just saw a person awhile ago sitting there talking to themselves. They were cursing someone who isn't even there. They profess to be a Christian. Remember you can't fool with this stuff without being properly trained. I would like to share the 26 plus weapons God has given me sometime. These are not human weapons(carnal) but spiritual, for protection for us and others. Hopefully won't be thrown off the forum for what is said so far. Would rather be told not to than sent away. thanks.

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
What a lot of excellent work here...

Heb 11:1
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Heb 11:1 Now 1161 faith 4102 is 2076 the substance 5287 of things hoped for 1679 , the evidence 1650 of things 4229 not 3756 seen 991 .

Substance: Strong's G5287 - hypostasis
1) a setting or placing under
a) thing put under, substructure, foundation

2) that which has foundation, is firm
a) that which has actual existence

1) a substance, real being
b ) the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing
c) the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution

1) confidence, firm trust, assurance

Evidence: Strong's G1650 - elegchos
1) a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested

2) conviction

Substance can refer to the actual real foundation of an object, the essential quality or nature of a person or thing or, emotionally, a confidence, firm trust, assurance of mind.

So, "faith is the substance of things hoped for" could mean:

faith is the foundation of the object hope...mmmm, not quite,
faith is the essential quality or nature of hope.....mmm, better,
faith is the confidence, firm trust, and assurance of hope....yes, I think so!

IF you have a confident, trusting, assurance of hope in something / someone, you have faith.

Now, Evidence is either a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested, or a conviction.

So, "faith is... the evidence of things not seen." could mean either:
faith is the tested proof of things not seen or
faith is the conviction (of mind) of things not seen, which meshes seamlessly with the word "substance."

Since the first definition of faith as proof would yield, "faith is the tested proof of things unproven..." I agree with Shirley that "Faith is the opposite of sight." and add that faith is therefore the opposite of proof and offer that the translators of the KJV did us a disservice choosing to go with "evidence" implying "proof" rather than with "conviction."

[If faith is the proof of unseen things then how can those with a misplaced faith; Hindus, atheists, Jihadists to mention a few, have proof of something that is a lie? If their unseen thing does not exist but faith is the proof of it...how can the non-existing have a proof it exists?]

Therefore, if you have a conviction (of hope) of things not seen / unproven, you have faith. And it is due to the unseen nature of the hope that is called faith that causes me to relish in the words "blind faith" used as "unseen / unproven belief" which drives atheists up the proverbial...! though "unproven / unseen hope" is a bit more scriptural. If it were not blind (ie if it were seen/proven) it would not be of faith but by sight, contra: 2 Corinthians 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight.

So don't let anyone bully you that "blind faith" is a pejorative for it is the way of GOD.

Peace, Ted