What Is God's Definition Of Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is God's definition of sin?

If we look in scripture, God says that sin is breaking His law.

"Sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

So what does this mean, what does scripture identify as His law? Is sin breaking God's Ten Commandment law, and since the law of God is perfect (Psalms 19:7), does it need changing? Or do the Commandments cover "the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13.

If they cover the whole duty of man, what do they tell us to do. If we look at them carefully we see the Commandments in the first four show love for God, the next six show love for our fellowman. So lets see how Christ explains it:

The Greatest Commandment

34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Thus was Christ covering all 10 when asked about them...
God's definition of what is sinning against Him, is what He says it is in Scripture.

It's not the preacher's job to tell people what sin is. It's the minister's work to tell people what God says sin is.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are saved, so don't give opinions on us.
How are you saved and why? What is the purpose of this forum?

Do we participate so as to discuss variations of popular wines? Do we participate to discuss the violence of American politics? Do we participate to exchange recipes for cake? It's my impression that we join here to share what we've learned of God and of His Word. Unfortunately there is at times more of undocumented opinion expressed than Biblical foundation. I choose to validate my words with history and objective scriptural context.

Some people have no idea what they believe or why. For instance, salvation doesn't mean the same thing to people of different disciplines. The Bible is quite clear in this regard. Despite the evidence of scripture some disciplines tend to lead their proponents far afield - far away from God's honest truth.

If I clarify the meanings attached to scripture and add the facts of history how is that repugnant to you?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are saved, so don't give opinions on us.
Saved by what and for what?

My posts are intended to clarify what the Bible teaches.

One of the greatest problems with the church today is that it promotes MANIPULATION and INDOCTRINATION rather than spiritual responsibility and morality and Biblical truth.

Do you prefer to be manipulated and indoctrinated? How do you know the difference? How do you know the principles of propaganda aren't being applied to you so as to enable some religious leader to put his hand into your wallet?

Knowing God's Word and how it applies to the New Covenant will paint a clear map to the future. For example, do you pay a religious tax (tithe) when you attend worship services? Most churches today claim they are not beholden to Old Covenant LAW, yet they demand tithes (10% of income) be paid ACCORDING TO THE LAW. Which is it? Are congregations free of LAW and thus free of financial obligation or are they still bound to the LAW thus requiring payment for attendance and membership?

Do you pay your tithe and continue to li$ten to justification for tithing? If so you are being manipulated by church leaders.

What is salvation according to your discipline? Some disciplines that identify themselves as Christian INDOCTRINATE their congregations in the ideology that salvation is NOT bestowed upon people until after they die. The Bible teaches that it must be sought before death. One major religion doesn't address the idea of personal salvation at all.

What is your definition of salvation and how do you know its correct?

OPINION was the name of the forbidden fruit in Eden's garden. When Eve and Adam consumed it's toxins they poisoned themselves and their progeny for timeless generations. God gave us His Word so as to sift through the confusion and lies that resulted.

God isn't concerned with our OPINIONS. He demands our duty instead.

Read the Bible.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I do not understand this post. What does this have to do with what I said?

I just gave the definition of sin. not what must be done to pay for it.

who ever said love would save anyone. My love is nothing until I recieve the love of God first ( we love because he first loved us) and even then I will not have perfect love. I will still fall into sin because I still have the flesh (self interest)

if sin is anything other than failing to put the needs of others above your own needs. can you please explain what else that might be?
Again - in your posts you wrote:

Jesus gave us an even clearer picture. when he was asked the question what is the greatest command.

Love God
Love your neighbor (who is your neighbor? Everyone!)

so in this aspect. sin is to fail to love others. to put your needs above theirs, to serve self.

True enough. Refusing to love God (1st commandment) and failing to love one's neighbor (2nd commandment) are SINs.

Definitions of SIN according to the LAW won't save anybody. They accuse. They convict of SIN. One can fulfill the two commandments you quoted to perfection and still be unjustified in the eyes of God...still suffer the Second Death.

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’

Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’
(Matthew 7:21-23)

While the LAW defines SIN and what is expected of us, it also tells us our responsibility toward God. In Leviticus we are told, by the LAW, that we are to personally surrender ourselves unto God - bringing a Holy offering with us when we do.

NOT EVERYONE who does good deeds for their fellows will enter the kingdom of heaven. At the Final Judgment most of these will be ruined by death.

Again - love doesn't save anybody. Love and compassion existed in the world long before Moses revealed God's LAW from the Holy mountain.

"All you need is love, sweet love." (John Lennon)

Those are nice words for a popular song and an inspiration for kindness toward one's fellows, but in the end they are only words sung by a dead guy who missed the kingdom of heaven by a country mile. According to his own admission Lennon was a deist and entirely hostile to the gospel of Christ.

Love didn't save John Lennon and it won't save anybody else.

Today love and kindness are being used to self-justify. Everybody seems to embrace this lie including confused church types. It may work for them, but it doesn't work for God. In the end it is God who's OPINION matters, not ours.

God has said one must repent to be forgiven and saved.

The time is near for the history of man's authority on this planet to end. The time is now to repent and be saved.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's definition of what is sinning against Him, is what He says it is in Scripture.

It's not the preacher's job to tell people what sin is. It's the minister's work to tell people what God says sin is.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
No, the minister or the preacher is not the one who will be lost if we sin, it will be us. So we need to read our Bibles and see and understand what it says, especially when it comes to Gods truth.

Reactions: Jim B

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, the minister or the preacher is not the one who will be lost if we sin, it will be us. So we need to read our Bibles and see and understand what it says, especially when it comes to Gods truth.
ALL OF US are affected by SIN. All of us need to repent, but the preacher - or anyone who knows better - is required to warn others of the consequences of SIN - DEATH.

"But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned, and the sword come, and take any person from among them; he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand. (Eze 33:6)

Today the 'soft gospel' is being peddled among many churches. The 'soft gospel' teaches that only minor alterations in one's behavior are required NOT RADICAL change. Minor changes do NOT put a dent in SIN. REPENTANCE IS REQUIRED FOR FORGIVENESS for there can be none without it.

no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins (Jesus quoted by Mark 2:22)

The Holy Spirit of God cannot be poured into the heart of an unrepentant SINNER. If it's tried the effort would be worthless. Few, very few, churches teach the efficacy of REPENTANCE. None teach the Biblical truth that divine forgiveness is impossible without it.

What is God's truth? Read Exodus 20. This chapter lists what is commonly called the LAW of Moses - the 10 commandments.

No one can be saved apart from the LAW for it is the LAW that convicts us of SIN.
Without this conviction there can be no repentance.
Without repentance there can be no forgiveness.
Without forgiveness there can be no salvation - no Second Birth and no justification before the Lord of Hosts.

It is indeed the preacher's job to warn of SIN, as in the Ezekiel passage above. If the truth is not SPOKEN it cannot be heard.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 kjv)

I hope this helps.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to teach and preach what God says sin is, if we have place to do so.

We must know for ourselves what God says sin is, and also to only preach that as sin.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
And to teach and preach what God says sin is, if we have place to do so.

We must know for ourselves what God says sin is, and also to only preach that as sin.
What is 'knowing for ourselves'?

God has shown us what His will is. It is written in His LAW.

The Holy LAW of God is not open to human opinion or 'knowing' apart from actually reading it in scripture.

One cannot 'know' apart from hearing or reading the LAW.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

What Is God's Definition Of Sin?​

Has it changed?
This is a convoluted and confusing statement about "what men want".

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9)

What men want is justification for SIN, denial of responsibility for it and a way to salve a guilty conscience for doing it.

The above mentioned web site specializes in motivational reading, preaching and exhibitionism. It uses the Name of God to justify book sales, pseudo education and a positive attitude toward the human condition (according to its own statement under the ABOUT heading).

It doesn't answer the question specified in the name of this thread - What is God's definition of SIN.

That definition is quite simple - God's LAW defines SIN. Specifically the 10 commandments tell us what SIN is in the eyes of God. Breaking even one of these commandments leads to DEATH.

How simple does it have to get? Yet men and women have from the beginning of the first SIN (Genesis 3) suffered from its consequences, denied its existence and attempted to absolve themselves of guilt for it.

Only the blood of Jesus Christ applied and accepted into one's personal life can absolve/forgive.
Only the blood of Jesus Christ can justify us before God.
Only the blood of Jesus Christ can yield a hope for life beyond the end of our physical existence.