What is Legalism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's your choice. I just wanted you to know that what I had said was not about you, but BB and the guy you were defending.
I'm just talking about the way you speak. This whole "You just don't get it" style of writing, there's no need for that to continue.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just talking about the way you speak. This whole "You just don't get it" style of writing, there's no need for that to continue.

Much love!

I know you're very touchy, and people have to walk on eggshells around you, so put me on ignore, and I'll do the same for you. Besides, you are very closed minded; not open AT ALL.

I won't be seeing anything more from you. You are now on ignore.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know your very touchy,
Really, because I point out what does not edify, is not useful, and is frankly not interesting? Because I know you can write without that nonsense, and would prefer to see that? But you know I'm touchy, so let's make that the issue instead.

Besides, you are very closed minded; not open AT ALL.

And you simply continue on with the ad hominems. Perhaps I've touched a nerve?

Much love?

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes He still does, but we do not repent or change our mind then, we do as commanded in 1 John 1:9- acknowledge our sin.

I prefer this way, it's sort of antipharisaical, (or at least prevents the inner pharisee from resurrecting) shall we say...

Luke 18:13 (KJV) And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prefer this way, it's sort of antipharisaical, (or at least prevents the inner pharisee from resurrecting) shall we say...

Luke 18:13 (KJV) And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
That's pretty much where I'm at!

Much love!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But we do not have to do that. We need not work ourselves up to some state of sorrow thinking God will listen more. God knkows our hewart. He wants honesty in the will and not some emotion show!

Sorrow can and does accompany times we confess sin to our Father, but even if we feel nothing- we still need to acknowledge those times we sin. That is what honors God our Father!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are going to discuss the Mosaic Law....you need to know something about it.
It is the Law that regulates selling your daughter as a concubine....a sex slave....owned by her master.
The law discusses her treatment.
Exodus 21:7-11
7 “If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do. 8 If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He does not have authority to sell her to a foreign people because of his unfairness to her. 9 If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters. 10 If he takes to himself another woman, he may not reduce her food, her clothing, or her conjugal rights. 11 If he will not do these three things for her, then she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.
Why does this bother you? God's not commanding anybody to sell people into slavery. He's telling us the laws that govern that practice in societies that do that.

This is an example of what I was talking about. The church seems to think you have to sell your daughters into slavery and into potential marriage if you want to keep the law. No, those are God's rules for societies that have that practice. We do not have that practice in western society that I'm aware of, so, no, you do not have to sell your daughters into slavery to be in compliance with the law.

This is simple. Some laws do not apply to everybody. Some laws are already satisfied and do not require further fulfillment. Some laws are 'kept' in regard to the spiritual intention that the literal law pointed to and finds satisfaction in that way. And there are laws that remain as written for the people of God to keep.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:3-4 3 3 "And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace."
Note: "YOU WHO ARE TRYING TO JUSTIFIED BY THE LAW"-vs. 4.

If you want to be justified by the law, that is when you must keep the entire law to the letter. As I said two posts back, for various reasons obedience to God in this New Covenant does not mean keeping the Mosaic law to the letter of the law. ↓↓↓
Some laws do not apply to everybody. Some laws are already satisfied and do not require further fulfillment. Some laws are 'kept' in regard to the spiritual intention that the literal law pointed to and finds satisfaction in that way. And there are laws that remain as written for the people of God to keep.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Legalism?

To me it is anyone who many try to cap authority over you and your walk with the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Telling you what you must do; and can end up taking you away from the freedom you have in the Spirit of Christ.

The actual definition is this:

Definition of legalism

1: strict, literal, or excessive conformity to the law or to a religious or moral codethe institutionalized legalism that restricts free choice
2: a legal term or rule

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do believe in conforming to the image of Christ but that is very different than trying to conform to the written law; you are being conformed by the spirit of Christ in you; that changes your ways, and deeds of the flesh though the deeds of the flesh are still there. They never ever go away.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism has done a lot of damage. I think in contrast of Romans 14.17: "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."
I suspect your definition of legalism springs from the traditional church's resistance to getting tattoos, right? Telling someone it's not allowed to get a tattoo is not legalism. Saying you have to keep the command to not get a tattoo in order to earn justification is legalism.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism is short for 'legalistic righteousness'. A righteousness that comes from keeping the law (as opposed to the righteousness that comes by faith). My 1978 NIV says it like this.....

"...as for legalistic righteousness, faultless." Philippians 3:6​

Legalism is not defined as telling a person what the commands are that are to be kept by believers. Legalism is keeping the commands of God in order to be justified.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we do not have to do that. We need not work ourselves up to some state of sorrow thinking God will listen more. God knkows our hewart. He wants honesty in the will and not some emotion show!
Who said it's an emotional show. That publican went away justified, God knowing it wasn't an 'emotional show'. Have you never been surely convicted of a certain sin of yours, or do you claim perfection?

Sorrow can and does accompany times we confess sin to our Father, but even if we feel nothing- we still need to acknowledge those times we sin. That is what honors God our Father!
I don't believe I ever said sorrow (contrition) was a necessity for genuine repentance.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said it's an emotional show. That publican went away justified, God knowing it wasn't an 'emotional show'. Have you never been surely convicted of a certain sin of yours, or do you claim perfection?

Isaiah 66:1-2 KJV
1) Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2) For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

That's the very best place to be!

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does this bother you? God's not commanding anybody to sell people into slavery. He's telling us the laws that govern that practice in societies that do practice that.

This is an example of what I was talking about. The church seems to think you have to sell your daughters into slavery and into potential marriage if you want to keep the law. No, those are God's rules for societies that have that practice. We do not have that practice in western society that I'm aware of, so, no, you do not have to sell your daughters into slavery to be in compliance with the law.

This is simple. Some laws do not apply to everybody. Some laws are already satisfied and do not require further fulfillment. Some laws are 'kept' in regard to the spiritual intention that the literal law pointed to and finds satisfaction in that way. And there are laws that remain as written for the people of God to keep.

LOL belly roll!
The Mosaic Law does not adjust for cultures or time periods. And again the Mosaic Laws are all or nothing...no options.
No, the Law did not require them to sell their daughters, the Mosaic Law regulated the process if they did.
The Mosaic Law did not require them to have multiple wives, but if they did the Mosaic Law regulated it.
If a man had five wives and he wanted another but could not support six, he could divorce his old cranky wife and marry a very young wife. A divorced Hebrew woman lived the life of an outcast....pretty much a death sentence....the Mosaic Law gave him that right.
If man found that his new wife was not a virgin, he could kill her and leave her body at her father's doorstep, the Mosaic Law gave him that right.
Now if the Israelites went to war they did not have kill all the men and male children and or babies, they did not have to kill all the non-virgins. But the Mosaic Law directed them to. And the captive virgins were breed, whether they liked it or not.
The Mosaic Law did not require men to own slaves, but it regulated it.
The Israelites may not have wanted to kill their disobedient children, but the Mosaic Law directed them to.
An Israelite might have chosen to forgive his wife for committing adultery, but he would be breaking the Law if he did not kill her.
If a woman that was engaged and a virgin, was raped in the city and she did not scream, she would be killed along with her raper.
If a woman that was a virgin but not engaged was raped...and it was discovered....the raper would be required to pay fifty shekels of silver to her father...marry her...and she would be raped for the rest of her life.

The Mosaic Laws are a harsh and cruel set of laws. Why did God do all that? I am sure He had a good reason...open for discussion.
Either way....specifically, in character, or spirit, they are not agreeable with Christ's teachings, examples, or love.

Last edited: