What is Legalism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think 'not being under the law' means you do not have to keep any of the commands in the law you are sorely mistaken as to what it means to not be under the law. Not being under the law means a couple of things. Mainly that the believer is not under the condemnation of the law.

Not even close. Your explanation does not appear in the scriptures and I have already given you what Paul said about the Law.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...one died for all, and therefore all died." 2 Corinthians 5:14

Christ died all the death penalties required by God's righteous and holy and just law. He is the burn for burn, wound for wound, life for life, and eye for eye that the justice of God's law requires. Somebody shout hallelujah!
This does not address the topic.
Find a scripture that address why you do not have to obey the law on execution...for homosexuals...just for example.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not have to keep a law that was not written for you. Per the example I gave you, you do not have to keep the law about crapping on the ground if you do not crap on the ground. Very simple. Christians foolishly like to use the 'you have to keep all 613 laws if you want to claim to be a law keeper' argument to justify casting down the law (the very thing Jesus said he did not come to do - Matthew 5:17), not knowing that if they actually read the law they'd realize there are laws that 1) don't apply to their sex, or nationality, or situation, and 2) are already forever and perfectly fulfilled for us through the finished work of Christ.

!. You cannot change the Law.
2. You cannot subdivide it....meaning you cannot pick and choose what Laws to follow.
3. Christ did not put an end to the Law because the Jews are still in that covenant and under the law.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank God for Jesus Christ ushering in the New Covenant which is a spiritual covenant where God writes on the minds and hearts of those whom are his who have faith.

Hebrews 10:16 This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”

Jeremiah 31:33 “But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel after those days,” says the LORD. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code." Romans 7:6

Here's an example of how you 'keep' the law in the new way of the Spirit......

9For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”d Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10Isn’t He actually speaking on our behalf? Indeed, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they should also expect to share in the harvest. 1 Corinthians 9:9-10​

You probably did not know that every time you give to support your pastor you are fulfilling and upholding Deuteronomy 25:4. If you believe this is not a valid concept, remember that Christ is the fulfillment of all the laws of sacrifice for sin. When you believe in Christ all the righteous requirements for sacrifice for sin in the law are marked 'fulfilled' for you—fulfilled to God's complete and total satisfaction. And so we 'keep' the law in the new way of the Spirit and faith in Jesus Christ. The believer is an upholder of all the law of Moses (Romans 3:31), not a destroyer of it.

I am not a Jew. I love the Jews and I have physically defended Israel. But I am not in that Old Covenant with God.
Serving in the newness of spirit is not biblically defined that you follow or even know the Law.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. Sorry, but I haven't a clue how you arrived at that. Romans 7 is about the law, and that is what chapter 8 frees us from. Same with Galatians 5:16-18

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the S(s)pirit, and the S(s)pirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

We have a body, soul and spirit
That is a body, heart, and mind.

Romans 7:25
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
You simply must have some clue, we've been over this so many times.

Your claim is that you do not sin except for some sins. Why still commit some sins of whatever description if the source of sin is gone?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks when you live by the spirit of Christ - Christ in and through you will cause no sin to be amounted. When your flesh gets riled up opposed to the spirit you will commit sin like being harsh to your co-worker or saying something mean to your own wife because you may be frustrated at the very moment in time.

You wont sin living in the spirit but you if and when your flesh gets riled up and you say something hateful towards someone you commit sin because the hatefulness that comes from us is natural, earthly, and demonic - or demon-like ; to have hate, greed, covetousness, lust, whatever it is.

Living in the spirit of Christ - Christ holds our fleshly self back though it will get irritated.

Take care, and God bless.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sin of saying things against someone or judging can be committed also with-in the heart as well without ever making any type of sound with your tongue itself.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You simply must have some clue, we've been over this so many times.

Your claim is that you do not sin except for some sins. Why still commit some sins of whatever description if the source of sin is gone?

Much love!

So you can't see at all that Galatians 5:17 is the same as Romans 7:25? I find it strange that you don't like me talking about you, yet, it is okay for you to talk about my sins?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I am not in that Old Covenant with God.
Neither are the Jews in that old covenant with God. The old covenant got replaced with a new and better Covenant. The Jews rejected it and are still trying to relate to God through an old covenant that God does not relate to anyone through now. They got the memo, but they refused to believe it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were destroyed in the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70ad over 1,000,000 Jews were killed. Some running out into the hills nearby losing the genealogy of the ' actual ' material genealogy from that destruction in which Jesus predicted and told to his few disciples whom he explained it to.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it strange that you don't like me talking about you, yet, it is okay for you to talk about my sins?
I'm just responding to what you yourself have said.

I think we'll go back to not debating.

Much love!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What law specifically are you referring to here?

If you are going to discuss the Mosaic Law....you need to know something about it.
It is the Law that regulates selling your daughter as a concubine....a sex slave....owned by her master.
The law discusses her treatment.
Exodus 21:7-11
7 “If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free as the male slaves do. 8 If she is displeasing in the eyes of her master who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He does not have authority to sell her to a foreign people because of his unfairness to her. 9 If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters. 10 If he takes to himself another woman, he may not reduce her food, her clothing, or her conjugal rights. 11 If he will not do these three things for her, then she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither are the Jews in that old covenant with God. The old covenant got replaced with a new and better Covenant. The Jews rejected it and are still trying to relate to God through an old covenant that God does not relate to anyone through now. They got the memo, but they refused to believe it.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

The Bible never says that the Jews are in the New Covenant.

Galatians 5:3-4 3 3 "And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace."

Paul knew that the Mosaic Law was still in effect and if you received circumcision that you were required to keep the whole Law.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Legalism has done a lot of damage. I think in contrast of Romans 14.17: "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."

Reactions: MatthewG