What is Mariology?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mungo, do you know how to enter the Word of God? Has someone ever shown you how to actually study the Bible? Said sincerely with no condescension! Your avoidance of the questions is highly transparent of someone who has been indoctrinated and suffers from confirmation bias. Do not entertain me Mungo, but the Scripture before you:

How patronising!!!!

It seem to be a common Protestant tactic when unable to respond to a point to reply with some patronising or insulting comment.

Do you want an "amiable discussion " as you claimed in the OP, or was denigrating Mary your intent all along?

Lets try again:

Luke 2:50 Yet his parents (Mary & Joseph) did not understand the remark he made to them.

1. Why didn't Mary understand Jesus' correction of them both?
2. Were they at fault for worrying about Jesus and why?
3. How many accounts was Mary wrong in this incident?

I suggest you start by reading the section slowly - Luke 2:41-52

I will be dealing with this section in this thread until we all have a good grasp of its content including its precious lessons about Mary, Joseph & Jesus.

I'm looking forward to seeing what will come of it.

F2F

Your first claim was that Jesus rebuked Mary.
rebuke
verb criticize or reprimand sharply.
(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

Do you really think Jesus would sharply reprimand or criticise his Mother, bearing in mind Ex 20:12?

At least now you have downgraded that to correct.
But I think even that is unjust.

We must remember that Jesus knew in detail the whole course his earthly life would take from his conception onwards (cf. the note on Lk 2:52). This is shown by what he says in reply to his parents. Mary and Joseph realized that his reply contained a deeper meaning which they did not grasp. They grew to understand it as the life of their Child unfolded. Mary’s and Joseph’s faith and their reverence towards the Child led them not to ask any further questions but to reflect on Jesus’ words and behaviour in this instance, as they had done on other occasions
(Faculty of the Theology of the University of Navarre)

No doubt, the Blessed Virgin was at this time perfect in charity; but, we need not suppose her perfect in the gift of knowledge. God gradually developed the fulness of this gift in her, and left her nescient of several details connected with her Son, which she knew in course of time. Although Mary and Joseph did not fully understand our Lord’s words, they devoutly and reverently acquiesced in all He said without asking further questions, without entertaining or expressing any doubts regarding them, fully resigning themselves to the Divine will, perfectly satisfied with having found and received Him back again.
(MacEvilly New Testament Commentaries).

Jesus is gradually revealing more about himself and increasing Mary's understanding of his Messiaship.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How patronising!!!!
Mungo... He was NOT being patronizing... He said that specifically...
but I guess you see it that way...
HE is trying to engage you in conversation where you will think OUTSIDE the Catholic
teachings.
Anyways... not my problem... or my responsibility.

This is WHY I state... Catholic topics should NOT be in non-denominational Christian
forums.

Day after day... all you Catholics come in here with NO desire to find common ground.
It's all about BEING the FIRST... the ONLY TRUE ONE... the BEST. That is PRIDE.

No one is telling you to stop going to mass... but they are telling you to stop justifying
and defending a religion that has NOTHING to do with CHRISTIAN life.
Catholicism is all about RITUAL... repeating the same traditions over and over again.
Lying to the people and telling them that those traditions have POWER... when clearly
they do not.

If your sacraments had power... you would all be PERFECT.

Anyways... I guess this was my week to be vocal again.

We are all given free will to live our lives as we choose.... Be blessed.

Reactions: face2face

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How patronising!!!!

It seem to be a common Protestant tactic when unable to respond to a point to reply with some patronising or insulting comment.

Do you want an "amiable discussion " as you claimed in the OP, or was denigrating Mary your intent all along?

Your first claim was that Jesus rebuked Mary.
rebuke
verb criticize or reprimand sharply.
(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

Do you really think Jesus would sharply reprimand or criticise his Mother, bearing in mind Ex 20:12?

At least now you have downgraded that to correct.
But I think even that is unjust.

We must remember that Jesus knew in detail the whole course his earthly life would take from his conception onwards (cf. the note on Lk 2:52). This is shown by what he says in reply to his parents. Mary and Joseph realized that his reply contained a deeper meaning which they did not grasp. They grew to understand it as the life of their Child unfolded. Mary’s and Joseph’s faith and their reverence towards the Child led them not to ask any further questions but to reflect on Jesus’ words and behaviour in this instance, as they had done on other occasions
(Faculty of the Theology of the University of Navarre)

No doubt, the Blessed Virgin was at this time perfect in charity; but, we need not suppose her perfect in the gift of knowledge. God gradually developed the fulness of this gift in her, and left her nescient of several details connected with her Son, which she knew in course of time. Although Mary and Joseph did not fully understand our Lord’s words, they devoutly and reverently acquiesced in all He said without asking further questions, without entertaining or expressing any doubts regarding them, fully resigning themselves to the Divine will, perfectly satisfied with having found and received Him back again.
(MacEvilly New Testament Commentaries).

Jesus is gradually revealing more about himself and increasing Mary's understanding of his Messiaship.

Mungo, to rebuke is to expose something in someone. As the saying goes "better is open rebuke than hidden love". What you may not understand is rebuke is to show true love, enough that you care enough to confront.

ἐπιτιμάω (epitimaō). vb. to rebuke. Primarily refers to the action of corrective rebuke. This verb primarily refers to the action of verbally correcting someone or something. It appears in the nt mostly in the Synoptic Gospels. Lexham Theological Wordbook

I can use the word rebuke or correct, as they carry the same meaning in the NT. BTW the Lexham Theological Wordbook is a great tool as it includes all instances where this word rebuke is used. I wont deviate from the task at hand.

I notice you used quotes from Faculty of the Theology of the University of Navarre & MacEvilly New Testament Commentaries.
Have you tried reading the section of Scripture for yourself? Read (Luke 2:41-52) to see if greater insight can be revealed to you?

Lets look at the exchange:

Mary's accusation:

Luke 2:48 His mother (Mary) said to him (Jesus), “Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously (terribly worried).”

Firstly, Mary is wrong on two (2) counts.

1. Protracted searching of Jesus was their fault. They ought to have known where he would be.

(Mungo, you cant believe Jesus was wrong in his rebuke... and to believe Mary & Joseph's worry was justified, you miss the Lords truth & point!

Jesus answers her worry:

Luke 2:49 But he (Jesus) replied, “Why were you looking for me? Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?”

Secondly Jesus provides Mary an important fact at age 12, such was the Lord's awareness

2. Joseph is not my Father.

Of all people, Mary and Joseph ought to know his parentage and predeliction in spiritual matters.

The Greek "My Fathers house" literally means “Things of my father”.

What things Mungo?

Consider the gravity of whats before you - he has just rebuked his parents righteously for 2 errors.

1. Their worry in searching was their wrong, not his
2. His Father was not Joseph, but Yahweh

Further to this consider that these are the first recorded words of Messiah!

I hope you & Illuminator understand how significant this section of Scripture is?

Paul speaks to it in Hebrews 10:5-7

when he came into the world, he said, “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me.“Whole burnt offerings and sin-offerings you took no delight in. “Then I said, ‘Here I am: I have come—it is written of me in the scroll of the book ;)to do your will, O God.’ ”

Note Mungo:

- When he comes into the world (kosmos) he says
- Fulfilment of God’s Will written “in the top of the scroll”
- Psalms 40:9-10 “preached righteousness in the great congregation” (Jerusalem!!!)

Where was he found? and what was he doing?

Who was in the right and who was in the wrong? Not difficult to answer if you are honest with Scripture and yourself.

I hope this brings you closer to the Lord Jesus Christ and a more factual understanding of Mary? Though blessed and beautiful as she was, she was not infallible; to "worry" was a lack of trust & faith on her/their part, those 3 days.

It's okay Mungo for Mary to be like us in every way...its Jesus who you need to heed. His example is the one to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addy

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In answering question 1 in Luke 2:50

Luke 2:50 Yet his parents (Mary & Joseph) did not understand the remark he made to them.

1. Why didn't Mary understand Jesus' correction of them both?

They did not comprehend that his commitment to HIS Father was above his family responsibilities.

Luke 2:51 Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them. But his mother kept all these things in her heart.

“Obedient to them” – “Subordinate”. Jesus took on no premature assumption of authority!

Note the implications:

- Outstanding testimony to Joseph and Mary to accept the rebuke of a 12 year old!
- God perfected his sons obedience under their rule
- Mary “Kept all these sayings in her heart” – “Watch carefully”.

12 years had not changed Mary’s character Ch Luke 1:29, Luke 2:19 “Faith accepted what it could not understand and waited patiently for solution to complexities”

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I notice you used quotes from Faculty of the Theology of the University of Navarre & MacEvilly New Testament Commentaries.
Have you tried reading the section of Scripture for yourself? Read (Luke 2:41-52) to see if greater insight can be revealed to you?
There you going being patronising again.
You are obviously not interested in an amiable discussion.

I'm done with you.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There you going being patronising again.
You are obviously not interested in an amiable discussion.

I'm done with you.
This makes me sad.... You are the one not open to having a conversation... there is absolutely NO condescending remarks being made here Mungo... You are DEFLECTING.... He is asking you legitimate questions and you are taking offence. What is the purpose of a two way conversation if we aren't even allowed to ask questions?
I think you just don't want to answer questions that are DIRECTLY addressed to your heart... to YOU as a person... You cannot answer anything for yourself... You have learned to argue scripture according to the teachings of the Catholic church... but are not able to answer personal questions about your walk with CHRIST.... as a CHRISTIAN. The Catholic church will NOT be there to help you when you come face to face with CHRIST. You will be on your own.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This makes me sad.... You are the one not open to having a conversation... there is absolutely NO condescending remarks being made here Mungo... You are DEFLECTING.... He is asking you legitimate questions and you are taking offence. What is the purpose of a two way conversation if we aren't even allowed to ask questions?
I think you just don't want to answer questions that are DIRECTLY addressed to your heart... to YOU as a person... You cannot answer anything for yourself... You have learned to argue scripture according to the teachings of the Catholic church... but are not able to answer personal questions about your walk with CHRIST.... as a CHRISTIAN. The Catholic church will NOT be there to help you when you come face to face with CHRIST. You will be on your own.

face2face asked:
You don't think he was being patronising?
Actually insulting would be a better word.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No NO NO.... I did not at all take that as an insult... It was a genuine question... and I don't know why you are so offended...
He is asking... Do you ever just sit down and read the bible for yourself... instead of hearing it read to you from a priest?

Again... this is not my fight... but... it makes me sad that you are so defensive... when you are not even being attacked...
I think you know me well enough that I don't ATTACK you... I disagree with what you believe... but I respect you as a human
being... and YES... you are a Christian... so you are my brother in Christ.

It is my opinion that Face2face was simply trying to engage you in REAL conversation.... Strip off the doctrine.... strip of the rituals and beliefs from your church and let's get down to the nitty gritty of discussing the BIBLE..... If I am mistaken about his intentions... then I will be the FIRST to apologize to you.

This is NOT a snare... it is a conversation. How transparent are you able to or willing to get.... I absolutely understand if there is NO trust there will be NO transparency... I get that ... I really absolutely get that.

With much RESPECT... Addy

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No NO NO.... I did not at all take that as an insult... It was a genuine question... and I don't know why you are so offended...
He is asking... Do you ever just sit down and read the bible for yourself... instead of hearing it read to you from a priest?

Again... this is not my fight... but... it makes me sad that you are so defensive... when you are not even being attacked...
I think you know me well enough that I don't ATTACK you... I disagree with what you believe... but I respect you as a human
being... and YES... you are a Christian... so you are my brother in Christ.

It is my opinion that Face2face was simply trying to engage you in REAL conversation.... Strip off the doctrine.... strip of the rituals and beliefs from your church and let's get down to the nitty gritty of discussing the BIBLE..... If I am mistaken about his intentions... then I will be the FIRST to apologize to you.

This is NOT a snare... it is a conversation. How transparent are you able to or willing to get.... I absolutely understand if there is NO trust there will be NO transparency... I get that ... I really absolutely get that.

With much RESPECT... Addy

Yes, yes, yes Addy. Now you are doing it - assuming Catholics don't read the Bible but rush off to a priest to get an answer to any question.
Just because Catholics are not Sola Scripture does not mean they dismiss the Bible as worthless.

You said in your first post in this thread: The OP has requested amicable conversation.. What do you think are the odds?? LOL
Well it didn't take too long before the sheep's clothing was discarded and the insults came.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, yes, yes Addy. Now you are doing it - assuming Catholics don't read the Bible but rush off to a priest to get an answer to any question.
Just because Catholics are not Sola Scripture does not mean they dismiss the Bible as worthless.

You said in your first post in this thread: The OP has requested amicable conversation.. What do you think are the odds?? LOL
Well it didn't take too long before the sheep's clothing was discarded and the insults came.
I have tried to engage you in conversation... but you keep insisting that everyone is out to demean you. I'm sorry.
Your definition of amicable conversation is different than mine. As far as I can see... the person you were talking to was sticking to the points... HE had questions... and they offended you.... and now you have accused me of doing it... so ???????????? Have a lovely day.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Post #143 & #145 are confronting on a number of levels. Maybe its best we leave this discussion for a time to allow everyone to digest those truths in Luke 2:41-52.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary....had other children.
Hi Iconoclast,

Can you show me in Scripture where it says Mary had other children? I know Scripture says Jesus had brothers and sisters but I can't find anything in Scripture that supports your suggestion.

Thanks....Mary

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
face2face asked:

Mungo, for the record the question was genuine. I was wanting to see if you could open the Word and allow it to speak to you, rather than quoting catechisms and non-biblical works.

Careful reading of God's Word will give you light - a brighter and more sustaining light than what you will find in those other works.

Post #143 & #145 contain some beautiful insights which you would be wise to take hold and grasp. In time we will move onto the next interaction between Mary & Jesus in the hope of seeing what the Heavenly Father has revealed. For now (said respectfully) you have been rebuked/corrected (with care) not only on the meaning of the word, but also the need for you to humble yourself and approach the Word of God with reverence and awe. You have also learned that while Mary & Joseph lacked faith and were fearful and worried in searching for Jesus - this opportunity provided us with some of the most incredible insights into the Lord Jesus Christ who was only 12 years of age!

You also witnessed the fulfillment of Hebrews 10:5-7 and how it was the divine will as written in the scroll of the book which speaks to the Old Testament Scripture (Ezekiel 2:9). It showed how Jesus allowed himself to have “God's Word written within his heart.” The “scroll of the book” is the written tôrāh of God; which is written concerning Jesus, to be God’s prescription for him. His life was the fulfillment of the written law; the will of God, which was set down in the “scroll of the book,” and as we have seen at the age of 12 that Word of God was manifested in obedience.

Can you see how the author applied those words to Jesus, the “scroll of the book” encompassing all that God had said in earlier days “to the fathers by the prophets”? Its amazing Mungo because his first words / actions fulfilled Hebrews 10:5-7 / Psalms 40:6-8 while at the end of his life he had these words on his lips: “Let the scriptures be fulfilled” (Mark 14:49).

For Jesus is wasn't merely a dutiful life set down in ink and parchment to be carried out like some checklist, it was his genuine desire of his heart to fulfil that special service which was his Father’s will for him. While it was indeed his Father’s will, it was also his own spontaneous choice. And by this he fulfilled Hebrews 10:5-7 / Psalms 40:6-8 by becoming a sacrifice utterly acceptable to God. As we will see Mary will need to learn these deep lessons but for now she has kept his remarks in her heart for a future time when all will be revealed.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings all,

I am looking to have an amicable discussion with those who venerate Mary the mother of Jesus. The purpose is to gather information on the subject with the view of presenting a study session to a wide range of believers.

As I understand it a Roman Catholic believer would agree with the below statement:

"In view of her dignity as the Mother of God and her fullness of grace, a special veneration is due to Mary. This is substantially less than the cultus latriae (= adoration) which is due to God alone, but it is higher than the cultus Duliae (= veneration) due to the angels and to the other saints. The special veneration thus given to Mary is called cultus hyperduliae" Fundementals of Catholic Dogma by Ott Ludwig

Can someone lead me to the Catechism where this type of veneration is stated? Any links to a Catholic library would also be helpful.

Is there a Scripture which states Mary should be praised?

It is widely understood that the treaching of Mary being the Mother of God was advocated by St. Cyril of Alexandria, at the Council of Ephesus (431) - Does the Church acknowledge this teaching was not taught, or held by the Apostles and was a later developement by the early Church fathers?

Thank you and look forward to the discussion.
Hi F2F,

I may be misunderstanding you so I have to ask a clarifying question: Do you not believe Jesus is God?

The quote from Ott Ludwig you provided does not say that "Mary should be praised". It says she is due "a special veneration". To venerate someone is to show great respect for them. Do you have great respect for Mary?

Also, you left out all the years BEFORE Cyril of Alexandria that Church leaders wrote that Mary was the mother of God. This teaching didn't start in 431AD.

Irenaeus “The Virgin Mary, being obedient to his word, received from an angel the glad tidings that she would bear God” (Against Heresies, 5:19:1 [A.D. 189]).

Hippolytus “[T]o all generations they [the prophets] have pictured forth the grandest subjects for contemplation and for action. Thus, too, they preached of the advent of God in the flesh to the world, his advent by the spotless and God-bearing (theotokos) Mary in the way of birth and growth” (Discourse on the End of the World 1 [A.D. 217]).

Gregory the Wonderworker “For Luke, in the inspired Gospel narratives, delivers a testimony not to Joseph only, but also to Mary, the Mother of God, and gives this account with reference to the very family and house of David” (Four Homilies 1 [A.D. 262]).

“It is our duty to present to God, like sacrifices, all the festivals and hymnal celebrations; and first of all, [the feast of] the Annunciation to the holy Mother of God, to wit, the salutation made to her by the angel, ‘Hail, full of grace!’” (ibid., 2).

Peter of Alexandria “They came to the church of the most blessed Mother of God, and ever-virgin Mary, which, as we began to say, he had constructed in the western quarter, in a suburb, for a cemetery of the martyrs” (The Genuine Acts of Peter of Alexandria [A.D. 305]).

“We acknowledge the resurrection of the dead, of which Jesus Christ our Lord became the firstling; he bore a body not in appearance but in truth derived from Mary the Mother of God” (Letter to All Non-Egyptian Bishops 12 [A.D. 324]).

Methodius “While the old man [Simeon] was thus exultant, and rejoicing with exceeding great and holy joy, that which had before been spoken of in a figure by the prophet Isaiah, the holy Mother of God now manifestly fulfilled” (Oration on Simeon and Anna 7 [A.D. 305]).

“Hail to you forever, you virgin Mother of God, our unceasing joy, for unto you do I again return. . . . Hail, you fount of the Son’s love for man. . . . Wherefore, we pray you, the most excellent among women, who boast in the confidence of your maternal honors, that you would unceasingly keep us in remembrance. O holy Mother of God, remember us, I say, who make our boast in you, and who in august hymns celebrate your memory, which will ever live, and never fade away” (ibid., 14).

Cyril of Jerusalem “The Father bears witness from heaven to his Son. The Holy Spirit bears witness, coming down bodily in the form of a dove. The archangel Gabriel bears witness, bringing the good tidings to Mary. The Virgin Mother of God bears witness” (Catechetical Lectures 10:19 [A.D. 350]).

Ephraim the Syrian “Though still a virgin she carried a child in her womb, and the handmaid and work of his wisdom became the Mother of God” (Songs of Praise 1:20 [A.D. 351]).

Athanasius “The Word begotten of the Father from on high, inexpressibly, inexplicably, incomprehensibly, and eternally, is he that is born in time here below of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God” (The Incarnation of the Word of God 8 [A.D. 365]).

Epiphanius of Salamis “Being perfect at the side of the Father and incarnate among us, not in appearance but in truth, he [the Son] reshaped man to perfection in himself from Mary the Mother of God through the Holy Spirit” (The Man Well-Anchored 75 [A.D. 374]).

Ambrose of Milan “The first thing which kindles ardor in learning is the greatness of the teacher. What is greater than the Mother of God? What more glorious than she whom Glory Itself chose?” (The Virgins 2:2[7] [A.D. 377]).

Gregory of Nazianz “If anyone does not agree that holy Mary is Mother of God, he is at odds with the Godhead” (Letter to Cledonius the Priest 101 [A.D. 382]).

Jerome “As to how a virgin became the Mother of God, he [Rufinus] has full knowledge; as to how he himself was born, he knows nothing” (Against Rufinus 2:10 [A.D. 401]).

“Do not marvel at the novelty of the thing, if a Virgin gives birth to God” (Commentaries on Isaiah 3:7:15 [A.D. 409]).

Theodore of Mopsuestia “When, therefore, they ask, ‘Is Mary mother of man or Mother of God?’ we answer, ‘Both!’ The one by the very nature of what was done and the other by relation” (The Incarnation 15 [A.D. 405]).

Mary

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ark of the new covenant!
The dwelling place of God!
God dwelt in Mary’s womb for 9 months, remember the ark was incorruptible wood covered with pure gold signifying Mary’s immaculate purity!
read exodus or any place in the Old Testament where something came into contact with God or was consecrated to the service of God it had to be pure and Holy!
In the ark was the word of God!
In Mary the new ark is the living Word!
In the ark was the mana!
In Mary was the bread come down from heaven! Jn 6
Bethlehem means house to of bread!

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, (Isa 7:14) and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Holy mother of God!

Lk 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Biblical principle:
Anything Consecrated to God must be pure and used only for the purpose of serving God!

See exodus: the ark of the covenant, everything used in the temple etc.

Ezekiel 44:2 “This gate shall remain shut; it shall not be opened, and no one shall enter by it; for the Lord, the God of Israel, has entered by it; therefore it shall remain shut.”

Mary and her virginity are Consecrated to God in immaculate purity, the pure gold of divine love!

Mary was the dwelling place of the Almighty, like the Ark of the Covenant in the Old Testament. Mary was a vessel consecrated to God alone!

Can a man use the ark of the covenant for a dinner table?

No mere man may enter where God conceived!

Mary would not consent to God’s will and to receive the exalted dignity of the mother of God if it means violating her vow of perpetual virginity then why simply consent relations with Joseph!

That’s impossible!

Lk 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

(This verse imply’s that Mary is consecrated to God alone! and has taken a vow of perpetual virginity! She was s willing to refuse even the exalted dignity of mother of God, the mother of our savior, and mother of all Christians if it means violating Her vow of perpetual virginity)

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

She consented to our salvation when she realized it would not violate her vow of perpetual virginity!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old Testament type or example provided by God for our instruction!

Queen Esther

Queen Esther fair: est 2:7
Mary all fair: gen 3:15 Song of Solomon 4:12 Lk 1:28 rev 12:1

And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; est 2:17
Song of S. 4:2 love of God for Mary!
And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail Mary, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed be thou among women.
Lk 1:28 also Lk 1:30 1:42 1:45 1:48
Mary obtained grace and favor: Lk 1:28
Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Esther merits the graces of the king for the people. Est
Mary merits the graces we need but don’t deserve. Lk 1:30
Mother is the mother of our savior and our salvation! Lk 2:30 matt 1:21

They prayed to Esther to intercede for them before the king. As Mary intercedes for Christians before God.

Queen Esther found favor with the king: est 2:17
Mary found favor with God: Lk 1:30

Queen Esther saves her people interceding with the king: est 8:17
Mary provides the savior of the world!
Lk 2:10-11

Queen Esther receives half the kingdom!
Mary receives half the kingdom, Christ retains the kingdom of justice as just judge and Mary is the queen of grace & mercy! Hence the throne of grace is Mary’s throne! Heb 4:16
Depicted in genesis as the greater light that rules the day (those living in God’s will) and the lesser light that governs the night (those living in sin) Mary the mother of mercy and refuge of sinners!
Notice the sun is the source of all good and moon only reflects this goodness!
She directs all to Her divine son! Jn 2:5

Mary is created by God thru the immaculate conception worthy to receive grace, and the miraculous conception of the Holy Spirit, and the savior and our salvation!

Notice how Christ died for us!

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

We were not worthy to die for our own salvation!

The same applies to grace, we are not worthy to receive grace, so God made Mary by the immaculate conception worthy to receive all grace for us, and worthy to miraculously conceive of the Holy Spirit and to give birth to our savior and worthy to receive our salvation!

Lk 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Lk 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

Lk 2:30 I have seen my salvation.

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Lk 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

This applies to Mary not by nature but by the power and will of God!

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Queen Esther

Queen Esther fair: est 2:7
Mary all fair: gen 3:15 Song of Solomon 4:12 Lk 1:28 rev 12:1

And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; est 2:17
Song of S. 4:2 love of God for Mary!
And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail Mary, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed be thou among women.
Lk 1:28 also Lk 1:30 1:42 1:45 1:48
Mary obtained grace and favor: Lk 1:28
Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Esther merits the graces of the king for the people. Est
Mary merits the graces we need but don’t deserve. Lk 1:30
Mother is the mother of our savior and our salvation! Lk 2:30 matt 1:21

They prayed to Esther to intercede for them before the king. As Mary intercedes for Christians before God.

Queen Esther found favor with the king: est 2:17
Mary found favor with God: Lk 1:30

Queen Esther saves her people interceding with the king: est 8:17
Mary provides the savior of the world!
Lk 2:10-11

Queen Esther receives half the kingdom!
Mary receives half the kingdom, Christ retains the kingdom of justice as just judge and Mary is the queen of grace & mercy! Hence the throne of grace is Mary’s throne! Heb 4:16
Depicted in genesis as the greater light that rules the day (those living in God’s will) and the lesser light that governs the night (those living in sin) Mary the mother of mercy and refuge of sinners!
Notice the sun is the source of all good and moon only reflects this goodness!
She directs all to Her divine son! Jn 2:5

Mary is created by God thru the immaculate conception worthy to receive grace, and the miraculous conception of the Holy Spirit, and the savior and our salvation!

Notice how Christ died for us!

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

We were not worthy to die for our own salvation!

The same applies to grace, we are not worthy to receive grace, so God made Mary by the immaculate conception worthy to receive all grace for us, and worthy to miraculously conceive of the Holy Spirit and to give birth to our savior and worthy to receive our salvation!

Lk 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

Lk 2:30 I have seen my salvation.

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Lk 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

This applies to Mary not by nature but by the power and will of God!

You said:
"Mary receives half the kingdom, Christ retains the kingdom of justice as just judge and Mary is the queen of grace & mercy! Hence the throne of grace is Mary’s throne! Heb 4:16"

This is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit: unbelief in the Son of God.
This Forum very often reminds me of the words of the Apostle Paul from Galatians:
"...there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ."

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi F2F,

I may be misunderstanding you so I have to ask a clarifying question: Do you not believe Jesus is God?

The quote from Ott Ludwig you provided does not say that "Mary should be praised". It says she is due "a special veneration". To venerate someone is to show great respect for them. Do you have great respect for Mary?

Also, you left out all the years BEFORE Cyril of Alexandria that Church leaders wrote that Mary was the mother of God. This teaching didn't start in 431AD.

Irenaeus “The Virgin Mary, being obedient to his word, received from an angel the glad tidings that she would bear God” (Against Heresies, 5:19:1 [A.D. 189]).

Hippolytus “[T]o all generations they [the prophets] have pictured forth the grandest subjects for contemplation and for action. Thus, too, they preached of the advent of God in the flesh to the world, his advent by the spotless and God-bearing (theotokos) Mary in the way of birth and growth” (Discourse on the End of the World 1 [A.D. 217]).

Gregory the Wonderworker “For Luke, in the inspired Gospel narratives, delivers a testimony not to Joseph only, but also to Mary, the Mother of God, and gives this account with reference to the very family and house of David” (Four Homilies 1 [A.D. 262]).

“It is our duty to present to God, like sacrifices, all the festivals and hymnal celebrations; and first of all, [the feast of] the Annunciation to the holy Mother of God, to wit, the salutation made to her by the angel, ‘Hail, full of grace!’” (ibid., 2).

Peter of Alexandria “They came to the church of the most blessed Mother of God, and ever-virgin Mary, which, as we began to say, he had constructed in the western quarter, in a suburb, for a cemetery of the martyrs” (The Genuine Acts of Peter of Alexandria [A.D. 305]).

“We acknowledge the resurrection of the dead, of which Jesus Christ our Lord became the firstling; he bore a body not in appearance but in truth derived from Mary the Mother of God” (Letter to All Non-Egyptian Bishops 12 [A.D. 324]).

Methodius “While the old man [Simeon] was thus exultant, and rejoicing with exceeding great and holy joy, that which had before been spoken of in a figure by the prophet Isaiah, the holy Mother of God now manifestly fulfilled” (Oration on Simeon and Anna 7 [A.D. 305]).

“Hail to you forever, you virgin Mother of God, our unceasing joy, for unto you do I again return. . . . Hail, you fount of the Son’s love for man. . . . Wherefore, we pray you, the most excellent among women, who boast in the confidence of your maternal honors, that you would unceasingly keep us in remembrance. O holy Mother of God, remember us, I say, who make our boast in you, and who in august hymns celebrate your memory, which will ever live, and never fade away” (ibid., 14).

Cyril of Jerusalem “The Father bears witness from heaven to his Son. The Holy Spirit bears witness, coming down bodily in the form of a dove. The archangel Gabriel bears witness, bringing the good tidings to Mary. The Virgin Mother of God bears witness” (Catechetical Lectures 10:19 [A.D. 350]).

Ephraim the Syrian “Though still a virgin she carried a child in her womb, and the handmaid and work of his wisdom became the Mother of God” (Songs of Praise 1:20 [A.D. 351]).

Athanasius “The Word begotten of the Father from on high, inexpressibly, inexplicably, incomprehensibly, and eternally, is he that is born in time here below of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God” (The Incarnation of the Word of God 8 [A.D. 365]).

Epiphanius of Salamis “Being perfect at the side of the Father and incarnate among us, not in appearance but in truth, he [the Son] reshaped man to perfection in himself from Mary the Mother of God through the Holy Spirit” (The Man Well-Anchored 75 [A.D. 374]).

Ambrose of Milan “The first thing which kindles ardor in learning is the greatness of the teacher. What is greater than the Mother of God? What more glorious than she whom Glory Itself chose?” (The Virgins 2:2[7] [A.D. 377]).

Gregory of Nazianz “If anyone does not agree that holy Mary is Mother of God, he is at odds with the Godhead” (Letter to Cledonius the Priest 101 [A.D. 382]).

Jerome “As to how a virgin became the Mother of God, he [Rufinus] has full knowledge; as to how he himself was born, he knows nothing” (Against Rufinus 2:10 [A.D. 401]).

“Do not marvel at the novelty of the thing, if a Virgin gives birth to God” (Commentaries on Isaiah 3:7:15 [A.D. 409]).

Theodore of Mopsuestia “When, therefore, they ask, ‘Is Mary mother of man or Mother of God?’ we answer, ‘Both!’ The one by the very nature of what was done and the other by relation” (The Incarnation 15 [A.D. 405]).

Mary

Welcome to the discussion Mary.
I think it best you read the entire thread...we have past the non-biblical works and references to catechisms and now deeply into the inspired Word. Love to meet you there.
Post #143 & #145 currently stand as evidence against the infallibility of Mary.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

(insert head shack in disbelief)

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin.

What does Jesus being born into our bias nature and overcoming temptation to sin have anything to do with Mary? She is like David in Acts 2:29 who is buried asleep in her Lord??? It is Christ alone who sits at the right hand of the Father on high and it is only Christ who has ever passed through the Curtain and into the Heavens.